PDA

View Full Version : Be afraid. Be very afraid.

DoktorSmith
11-28-2000, 08:30 AM
Lamar said he wants to keep Carl as GM.

Carl said that he does not plan on replacing Gunther. Of course, he is unlikely to say anything else during the season and he did leave the door open to change his mind. But for now, he's giving Gunther a "thumbs up."

Let us assume the worst: Gunther is the Chiefs Head Coach for the 2001 season.

What if Gunther keeps the Stooges?

xoxo~
gaz
terrorizing himself.<BR>

KCCory
11-28-2000, 08:32 AM
It is sick.

I don't know what to say...

morphius
11-28-2000, 08:32 AM
If all the stooges are kept, I'll certainly quit making an effort to watch every game...I'm at that point right now.

Dr. Red
11-28-2000, 08:47 AM
Not to belittle the real situation to which I am analogizing, but with the Chiefs I feel like Robert Downey Jr.'s parents must feel. He's done good things in the past, and since he's my I kid I love him, but he's a junkie and, truth be told, an embarassment.

If the Chiefs can't get the piss-poor coaching monkey of their back, I think the next couple of years will call for some tough love.

Shootr
11-28-2000, 08:47 AM
But there is nothing like a vote of confidence, is there? ;)

------------------
Brian K.

The future is much like the present, only longer.

[i]Don Quisenberry </I>

Luzap
11-28-2000, 08:50 AM
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Dan the Lurker....

I would probably take a good look at how much I would financially support the team. Although my amount is insignificant, a thousand people like me, who no longer buy the licensed goods with Chiefs logos will make a dent in the $$'s the Chiefs get from my household.

I would still pay my $$ to buy NFL Direct ticket, because I love watching the NFL in general, and I would still root for the Chiefs, but I can tell you that I would do so with the firm knowledge that neither Lamar & Carl were NOW doing their best to field a winning team.

My hopes are that Gunther sees the light on his staff and cans them all. If not, I will resign myself to watching a repeat of the demise of a great franchise, like the one many of us "older" fans saw in the late 70's, early 80's.

mark

------------------
Kilgore is a noun, not a verb..

redfan
11-28-2000, 08:55 AM
Why wouldnt Gun keep the stooges? He kept them last year and this offense is just as inept but in the opposite way. Special teams are no worse than they have been since Stock came aboard. And the D has the excuse of being young. The stooges were retained after last year and their performance remains consistant. As does Cunningham and Peterson for that matter. I continue my assualt on this dead horse...clean house from top to bottom.

Go Chiefs
11-28-2000, 08:57 AM
If Gunther cans the entire staff - from the stooges on down to his own son the towel boy - would it make a difference?

I say NO it would not. Gunther is a moron and does not belong in this position. His "polar" behavior effect everyone and anyone. He and They all must go.

redfan
11-28-2000, 09:04 AM
"I'm very happy with Gunther. The owner (Lamar Hunt) is, too. Are we disappointed where we are right now at 5-7? Yes. But I was very pleased a year ago, as Lamar was, with Gunther turning this organization back to a winning one. That was not a very easy thing to do." -Carl Peterson

Carl had been at the helm of the Chiefs for a decade before hiring Gunther. If it was such a hard task to "turn this organization back to a winning one." WHY, OH WHY does Peterson have one defender? If the team were in such disarray before gunther who is responsible?<BR>

Phobia
11-28-2000, 09:18 AM
Check this out...see #31
http://www.sportstalk.com/nfl/power/rankings/index.shtml

Pretty much says it all.<BR>

Stuckinbama
11-28-2000, 09:19 AM
I agree with Mark in #5. I have been around for many years and remember Superbowls 1 and 4. The dacade after was a very LONG one. Unlike that slide, this one would be WORSE even though the Chiefs have not experienced the ultinate success like they did in my childhood. Worse, because as an adult, I can see the problems and the cure. The Stooges are KILLING this and they have all had thier chances and all have failed. The Chiefs are EXACTLY where I thought they would be before the season started, that was easy to forcast. Their fate was sealed when the Stooges were retained. IMHO, Gun now knows this and so does Carl. Things will change.

Stuckinbama
11-28-2000, 09:23 AM
Titus,
LOL! That's funny. the Chiefs are not the worst team in the NFL, but they are sure playing like it. They do have the ABSOLUTE WORST coaching staff in football - hands down.

Lurker Brett
11-28-2000, 09:36 AM
At the risk of sounding like Packfan, this does it. Carl Peterson has to be demented to even think of retaining Gunther. He also must be watching a different Chiefs team than I am. I don't think they are playing hard, at times maybe, but not 110% in every game. Lamar needs to give the reins to his son, his son needs to fire Peterson, and the first order given to the new GM, is to fire the whole damn coaching staff. And the damn blind fool needs to rebuild not transit, Peterson that is. Off with their heads, I declare.

TEX
11-28-2000, 09:41 AM
This is driving me nuts!!!!

I keep reading about the terrible Bungles...but I just had a realization that about made me ill...The Bengals HAVE been to a superbowl in my lifetime...not the chiefs...and Kingcarl is actually "happy" with the status quo???

Somone needs to tell Carl and Lamar that the white spec on top of Chickensh!t is Chicken$h!T too..

Ecto-I
11-28-2000, 09:54 AM
"I think we have running backs here that can carry the load. A guy who has been consistently excellent all year is Tony Richardson"

Carl's response to the Star's question regarding not getting a high quality back during the off season.

Someone please wake me up from this nightmare

KCTitus
11-28-2000, 09:56 AM
Mark: I like your post in 5. I agree 100%. I fly out to KC to catch a game every year and by the time it is all said and done, I end up laying out over 2k with airfares, tickets, hotels and so on. If the Chiefs organization doesn't make some changes to try to turn things around, 2k will buy a couple of very nice guns to add to my collection.

~Pull your head out of the sand Lamar~

[This message has been edited by Bwana (edited 11-28-2000).]

bishop_74
11-28-2000, 10:01 AM
Even me, self proclaimed Gun homer, am very worried about Lamar's thinking on this one.

Ecto-I
11-28-2000, 10:22 AM
On Sportscenter last night they announced with smirks on thier faces who plays in the next MNF contest . . . then they giggled for a bit . . . then segued on to show which MNF game had worst combined winning record in history . . . thank goodness KC isnt involved in that stat

oh boy . . . direct me to the lifeboats

DoubleWannaB
11-28-2000, 10:22 AM
What DO you do if he keeps the stooges? I don't know. Complain to each other some more? Do we become complacent like the Cowboys fans and admit that our team stinks? Well, what do we do? I am taking serious heat, and frankly, I feel like I deserve it for standing up for my team. We DO blow donkey balls now. That sucks. And I feel like it's going to get worse before it gets better. Even if we do get a new HC, I don't think he could turn this team totally around during the off season. Do you? All I can say if F*** you Carl and Lamar for screwing up my dream for the last 10 years, and heres to the next few. Thanks again.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bishop_74 (edited 11-28-2000).]

The_Grand_Illusion
11-28-2000, 10:25 AM
Now who's going to the NE game we must as fans voice our displeasure with King Carl and make posters, banners, signs so the national media can see. So his *** will be out of KC next year. This can happen but it has to be a group effort.

Chief_Noraa
11-28-2000, 10:51 AM
Let's see 14 to 12 go for two or kick the extra point?

Nuff said

Chief_Noraa
11-28-2000, 10:56 AM
No I take it back that is not enough. If your kids HIGHSCHOOL football coach couldn't figure that one out It would be time for him to go back to teaching drivers-ed.

How the hell did this collection of dullards ever get PROFESSIONAL coaching jobs?

redfan
11-28-2000, 11:02 AM
Did anyone hear Petersons defense of Gunther going for 1? He said something to the effect of "Well, I know the book says go for 2 in that situation but the head coach has a feel for the direction of the game and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..." Carl, the GD book is the book for a reason...IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO!!! Gun is in over his head. He is unqualified to be a head coach, select a coaching staff, devolop a game plan, pick a RB, Kicker, and CB. Peterson is negligent for deciding he is qualified and should step down in shame.

redshirt32
11-28-2000, 11:20 AM
Little boy: I see dead Chiefs fans all over the field...<BR>

Cannibal
11-28-2000, 11:25 AM
First, Lamar is an absentee owner who is thrilled that the games are selling out and that the team is somewhat competitive. People make fun of the Snyder's of the league but at least the guy cares and takes affirmative steps to better the team. Carl will remain as G.M.

Second, do you really think that Carl will: a) fire Gunther after only his second year, which would be an admission that Carl picked the wrong person for the job, and b) would appoint a coach from outside the organization who may challenge or question his player acquisitions or philosophy? Carl's ego will not allow either, he stays.

Third, I'm sick of all the blame on the stooges and not Gunther. Gunther sucks as a head coach. It is his job to oversee the stooges. If he doesn't like the soft zone, he should demand a change. If he doesn't like the committee, he should demand a change. All Gunther does is point fingers after the fact, talk about change and then does nothing. It is obvious that the players are unmotivated. Even when the playoffs were attainable we came out completely flat. San Diego was 0-11 and had ten times more emotion than we did, that is sad.

Say Gunther appoints new stooges and assume he actually does a good job picking 3 qualified persons (big assumption looking at what he has picked thus far),we are still left with an incompetent head coach and young players who will have to adjust to a new system in all 3 facets of the game. That will take time - 2 or 3 years. Are you willing to give Gunther that time? Why?

Moral of the story, if you want change, hope Lamar gives the team to his son or somebody who gives a damn.

TheBigChief
11-28-2000, 11:40 AM
nj - you said it! I've been echoing that sentiment for over a month now. It all starts at the top - LAMAR MUST PASS ON THE OWNERSHIP; or this team is doomed to repeat their past (and current) failure.

TEX
11-28-2000, 11:40 AM
The coaching lately has looked alot more like "the skipper, Gilligan, and thruston howell III" than an NFL staff...of course, i'm not sure where in the he!! the professor is?

DoubleWannaB
11-28-2000, 11:41 AM
Chiefnj,
Thanks for making it all seem that much more dismal. I am really sad. I wish I could stand up for these guys and say that they at least give a crap, but I think you're right... they are just trying to cover their asses. I used to be so proud of our team.

redshirt32
11-28-2000, 12:01 PM
I expect the Chiefs to lose the rest of their games. And Carl will still try to sell Gun and the "transition"...

It will take the fans to LOSE interest and quit showing up for games to force change...<BR>

BigAl
11-28-2000, 12:41 PM
Chiefnj,

I agree with most of what you said except for it taking 2-3 years to incorporate new systems. My argument is based on this years Saints. They replaced the GM and all the coaches.<BR>

Fat Homer
11-28-2000, 01:56 PM
Gunther remaining head coach I can handle...no ****ing way he keeps the stooges...because if he does I just might have to start following soccer... :mad:

If I were Carl and I were serious about keeping Gun...I'd already be on the phone to find a staff to put around him...Gun should be dialing the phone for Carl...

I'm not saying this **** is all the coaches fault, but I dare say 75% of it is...sometimes I wonder what a great coach like Shula or Lombardi would do with a team like the Chiefs...we have talent...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Pitt Gorilla
11-29-2000, 12:18 AM
After Carl's statements yesterday I felt sick. I realized we could be hitting a 20 year cycle --remember the eighties ?

It hurts even more when at this point in the season you look around and see a couple of very young coaches relating to their players in a way that energizes performance on the field. Those two coaches are Gruden & Haslett with New Orleans. Heck -New Orleans was left for dead last year and now they have a monster defense that reminds me of the Neil & Derrick days. I hate to admit it but there are some very exciting teams to watch & the Chiefs haven't been one of them.

The more I think about it the more I want to kneel down and pray to the porcelain God.