PDA

View Full Version : "We will build a statue for Bush"

Taco John
01-31-2005, 04:07 AM
Thought this was an encouraging story. It's nice to hear pro-American sentiment.

http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/39526.htm

January 30, 2005 -- BAGHDAD The man replacing the mayor of Baghdad who was assassinated for his pro-American loyalties says he is not worried about his ties to Washington.
In fact, he'd like to erect a monument to honor President Bush in the middle of the city.

"We will build a statue for Bush," said Ali Fadel, the former provincial council chairman. "He is the symbol of freedom."

Fadel's predecessor, Ali al-Haidari, was gunned down Jan. 4 when militants opened fire on his armor-covered BMW as it traveled with a three-car convoy.

Fadel said he received numerous threats on his life as the council chairman, and expects to get many more in his new post.

"My life is cheap," Fadel said. "Everything is cheap for my country."

As Iraq prepared for a volatile election that is being watched across the world, Fadel heaped praise on the United States.

Fadel acknowledged that many in his country appear ungrateful for America's foreign assistance. He said most Iraqis are still in "shock" over the changes, and need time to adjust.

Any public monument to Bush is likely to further incense terrorist forces, who have attacked American troops and their supporters for months.

Fadel said he is undaunted.

"We have a lot of work and we are especially grateful to the soldiers of the U.S.A. for freeing our country of tyranny," Fadel said.

As for his own protection, the new mayor will be traveling in a new $150,000 SUV complete with bulletproof windows and flat-resistant tires.

Taco John
01-31-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm encouraged by the elections, but elections are always encouraging. It's not elections that are the watermark for the success of this war. I pray that Democracy sticks. Hopefully the Iraqis will fight to keep it.

Ultra Peanut
01-31-2005, 07:43 AM
I'm encouraged by the elections, but elections are always encouraging.Tell that to those voting against Bush in the previous two elections.

mlyonsd
01-31-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm encouraged by the elections, but elections are always encouraging. It's not elections that are the watermark for the success of this war. I pray that Democracy sticks. Hopefully the Iraqis will fight to keep it.

That's a very fair assessment, IMO.

Cochise
01-31-2005, 08:17 AM
I think they will be behind it now. It won't be an occupying force soon, it will be their representative government.

RINGLEADER
01-31-2005, 10:32 AM

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I still don't understand why some on the left seem to hate what happened just because it took Bush's policies to make it happen. At the end of the day, however, all we can do is give them the opportunity...as Taco says it is ultimately up to the Iraqis to fight to keep democracy in their country.

Although I do seem to remember, Taco, that you were poo-pooing the idea that it would ultimately be up to the Iraqis last week. I'm glad you're coming around. :thumb:

beavis
01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
I still don't understand why some on the left seem to hate what happened just because it took Bush's policies to make it happen.
That would involve them admitting that they were wrong, and we all know that will never happen.

bkkcoh
01-31-2005, 11:56 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I still don't understand why some on the left seem to hate what happened just because it took Bush's policies to make it happen. At the end of the day, however, all we can do is give them the opportunity...as Taco says it is ultimately up to the Iraqis to fight to keep democracy in their country.

Although I do seem to remember, Taco, that you were poo-pooing the idea that it would ultimately be up to the Iraqis last week. I'm glad you're coming around. :thumb:

rl,

You know better than that, you know there are a lot of people on this board and in the US that would loved to have seen the elections delayed at the cost of 1000's of lives, both Iraqi citizens and coalition forces. They would hate to admit that something positive in Iraq took place. And a free election took place in Iraq. :thumb:

They are looking at about 70 or so percent turnout in a country in which they feared for their lives to vote and we can't even get 65% to turn out in our election.

Democracy will only work in the countries in which the electorate is active.

BroWhippendiddle
01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm sure it's been done before but I don't agree with making someone your "saviour".

The statues of Saddam were those of oppression, I think that the people of Iraq would eventually find a way to demonize a statue of anyone not from their own homeland.

Taco John
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM

The idea I pooh pooh is that we took the brunt of it, when I think we should have fueled an insurgency and let them do the heavy lifting.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 04:02 PM
In the wake of the election I feel more excited about Iraq than I have since the scenes of Iraqis celebrating Saddam's removal at the beginning of the war. I still have a great deal of uncertainty about the final result but I can't help think I'm witnessing an important piece of history. It reminds me of watching the Berlin wall get torn down. I honestly hope the Iraqis will be able to forge a democratic nation and eliminate the AL Queda insurgency.

Ultra Peanut
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
I don't believe I've ever seen such a unanimously cordial response to a thread started by Teej. :D

I'm sure it's been done before but I don't agree with making someone your "saviour".

The statues of Saddam were those of oppression, I think that the people of Iraq would eventually find a way to demonize a statue of anyone not from their own homeland.I think you're sort of focusing on the wrong thing.

Rausch
01-31-2005, 11:38 PM
The idea I pooh pooh is that we took the brunt of it, when I think we should have fueled an insurgency and let them do the heavy lifting.

That might have worked if Daddy Bush hadn't already ****ed 'em over...