PDA

View Full Version : U.S. students say press freedoms go too far

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 01:18 PM
WASHINGTON - The way many high school students see it, government censorship of newspapers may not be a bad thing, and flag burning is hardly protected free speech.

It turns out the First Amendment is a second-rate issue to many of those nearing their own adult independence, according to a study of high school attitudes released Monday. The original amendment to the Constitution is the cornerstone of the way of life in the United States, promising citizens the freedoms of religion, speech, press and assembly.

Yet, when told of the exact text of the First Amendment, more than one in three high school students said it goes "too far" in the rights it guarantees. Only half of the students said newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government approval of stories.

"These results are not only disturbing; they are dangerous," said Hodding Carter III, president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which sponsored the $1 million study. "Ignorance about the basics of this free society is a danger to our nation's future." The students are even more restrictive in their views than their elders, the study says.

When asked whether people should be allowed to express unpopular views, 97 percent of teachers and 99 percent of school principals said yes. Only 83 percent of students did. The results reflected indifference, with almost three in four students saying they took the First Amendment for granted or didn't know how they felt about it. It was also clear that many students do not understand what is protected by the bedrock of the Bill of Rights.

Three in four students said flag burning is illegal. It's not.

About half the students said the government can restrict any indecent material on the Internet. It can't.

"Schools don't do enough to teach the First Amendment. Students often don't know the rights it protects," Linda Puntney, executive director of the Journalism Education Association, said in the report.

"This all comes at a time when there is decreasing passion for much of anything. And, you have to be passionate about the First Amendment." The partners in the project, including organizations of newspaper editors and radio and television news directors, share a clear advocacy for First Amendment issues.

Federal and state officials, meanwhile, have bemoaned a lack of knowledge of U.S. civics and history among young people. Sen. Robert Byrd (news (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/DailyNews/politics/news/ap/ap_on_re_us/students_first_amendment/14151541/*http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?fr=news-storylinks&p=%22Sen.%20Robert%20Byrd%22&c=&n=20&yn=c&c=news&cs=nw), bio (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/capadv/bio/SIG=117tm1v4u/ap/ap_on_re_us/students_first_amendment/14151541/*http://yahoo.capwiz.com/y/bio/?id=622), voting record (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/capadv/vote/SIG=11g39t4f5/ap/ap_on_re_us/students_first_amendment/14151541/*http://yahoo.capwiz.com/y/bio/keyvotes/?id=622)), D-W.Va., has even pushed through a mandate that schools must teach about the Constitution on Sept. 17, the date it was signed in 1787.

The survey, conducted by researchers at the University of Connecticut, is billed as the largest of its kind. More than 100,000 students, nearly 8,000 teachers and more than 500 administrators at 544 public and private high schools took part in early 2004.

The study suggests that students embrace First Amendment freedoms if they are taught about them and given a chance to practice them, but schools don't make the matter a priority. Students who take part in school media activities, such as a student newspapers or TV production, are much more likely to support expression of unpopular views, for example.

About nine in 10 principals said it is important for all students to learn some journalism skills, but most administrators say a lack of money limits their media offerings. More than one in five schools offer no student media opportunities; of the high schools that do not offer student newspapers, 40 percent have eliminated them in the last five years.

"The last 15 years have not been a golden era for student media," said Warren Watson, director of the J-Ideas project at Ball State University in Indiana. "Programs are under siege or dying from neglect. Many students do not get the opportunity to practice our basic freedoms."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&ncid=519&e=4&u=/ap/20050131/ap_on_re_us/students_first_amendment

Demonpenz
01-31-2005, 01:24 PM
It's not surprising when your freedoms usually stop at the door of the school

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 01:27 PM
The kids are bored and complacent. Revolutionary!!!

That's sure to have a huge impact on jurisprudence.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 01:29 PM
It's not surprising when your freedoms usually stop at the door of the school

:spock: I hope you are being facetious

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 01:45 PM
:spock: I hope you are being facetious
You think students have full 1st and 4th Amendment rights in the school system?

Bootlegged
01-31-2005, 01:50 PM
ok, i haven't been around much lately, so not sure if there's already been discussion on this...

but...

DC, the Avatar man. Good LAWD.

memyselfI
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
WASHINGTON - The way many high school students see it, government censorship of newspapers may not be a bad thing, and flag burning is hardly protected free speech.

It turns out the First Amendment is a second-rate issue to many of those nearing their own adult independence, according to a study of high school attitudes released Monday. The original amendment to the Constitution is the cornerstone of the way of life in the United States, promising citizens the freedoms of religion, speech, press and assembly.

Yet, when told of the exact text of the First Amendment, more than one in three high school students said it goes "too far" in the rights it guarantees. Only half of the students said newspapers should be allowed to publish freely without government approval of stories.

"These results are not only disturbing; they are dangerous," said Hodding Carter III, president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, which sponsored the $1 million study. "Ignorance about the basics of this free society is a danger to our nation's future." The students are even more restrictive in their views than their elders, the study says.

When asked whether people should be allowed to express unpopular views, 97 percent of teachers and 99 percent of school principals said yes. Only 83 percent of students did. The results reflected indifference, with almost three in four students saying they took the First Amendment for granted or didn't know how they felt about it. It was also clear that many students do not understand what is protected by the bedrock of the Bill of Rights.

About half the students said the government can restrict any indecent material on the Internet. It can't.

Ah, Faux News should be proud it's contributed to the ignorance of these young people. :thumb:

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Ah, Faux News should be proud it's contributed to the ignorance of these young people. :thumb:
Bullshit. These kids are too apathetic to care what's on the news channels. Whatever their notions are, they got them from MTV and PS2.

Tell me of one instance where Fox news has weighed to misinform on these issues.

Radar Chief
01-31-2005, 02:01 PM

So just what exactly does FOX News have to do with kids that couldn’t find the TV channel its on if coerced with free beer? :spock:

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:04 PM
You think students have full 1st and 4th Amendment rights in the school system?

1st yes, 4th no...see Tinker V Des Moines (U.S. Supreme Court) for 1st amendment reference

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:05 PM
ok, i haven't been around much lately, so not sure if there's already been discussion on this...

but...

How is it any more risque than say the average Big Daddy avatar?

Cochise
01-31-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm not surprised. They are educated by the NEA and the Department of Education.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 02:13 PM

but...

Lattimer,
I tried to have the same discussion with DC a few days ago. My point was that thre are sites dedicated to that kind of thing and he should respect that this is not one of those sites. DC came back with the oh-so-lame "how is this different than what Big Daddy does?"
Uh, well, let's see here...BD's posts are chicks, DC's posts are dicks. BD's pics are appealing, DC's pics are revolting.
If you want to further the gay agenda go to a gay website.

Cochise
01-31-2005, 02:17 PM
I've had sigs and avatars on ignore for some time now and I don't think I will be changing that anytime soon.

But from the way people are reacting to it, I think it should be GoatCheese's avatar :fire:

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:17 PM
Lattimer,
I tried to have the same discussion with DC a few days ago. My point was that thre are sites dedicated to that kind of thing and he should respect that this is not one of those sites. DC came back with the oh-so-lame "how is this different than what Big Daddy does?"
Uh, well, let's see here...BD's posts are chicks, DC's posts are dicks. BD's pics are appealing, DC's pics are revolting.

You are so ignorant it is sick...do you not even see the hypocricy in your own statement?

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:18 PM
I've had sigs and avatars on ignore for some time now and I don't think I will be changing that anytime soon.

But from the way people are reacting to it, I think it should be GoatCheese's avatar :fire:ROFL

mlyonsd
01-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Why should they believe in the 1st amendment when they can't even publicly pray in a public school?

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Why should they believe in the 1st amendment when they can't even publicly pray in a public school?

sure they can

vailpass
01-31-2005, 02:29 PM
You are so ignorant it is sick...do you not even see the hypocricy in your own statement?

Quit ignoring reality. There is a very real difference between gay and hetero sexuality as portrayed by images, video, etc.
Hetero males have a very different reaction to images of attractive women than images of gay (male) sex or gay men looking gay.
Some people have consumed the PC kool-aid (about half my class in grad-school) and so won't tell you what they really think. That doesn't make the truth any different. If you want to/need to/ have to be gay then be gay but don't beat people over the head with your lifestyle and accept that the graphic part of it is best shared among others of like practice.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 02:31 PM
I never understood why most school programs teach civics in 8th grade and never revisit the "rights and responsibilities" of citizenship as students approach voting age. We need to do a better job at teaching kids to become useful members of our society.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:36 PM
Quit ignoring reality. There is a very real difference between gay and hetero sexuality as portrayed by images, video, etc.
Hetero males have a very different reaction to images of attractive women than images of gay (male) sex or gay men looking gay.
Some people have consumed the PC kool-aid (about half my class in grad-school) and so won't tell you what they really think. That doesn't make the truth any different. If you want to/need to/ have to be gay then be gay but don't beat people over the head with your lifestyle and accept that the graphic part of it is best shared among others of like practice.

And how does that not apply to you??? don't you see the ignorance of that statement? its ok for you to be hetero and flaunt it but its not ok for me to be homo and do the same? you seem to be one of a very few people around here that don't like it...so tough sh!t...suck it up and drive on...

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:36 PM
I never understood why most school programs teach civics in 8th grade and never revisit the "rights and responsibilities" of citizenship as students approach voting age. We need to do a better job at teaching kids to become useful members of our society.

Completely agree

Cochise
01-31-2005, 02:45 PM

Unfortunately for liberals, as long as teachers give tests there will be prayer in school.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 02:45 PM
suck it up and drive on...

Nice choice of words. ROFL

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Unfortunately for liberals, as long as teachers give tests there will be prayer in school.ROFL

Donger
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Dang, vailpass. Is it really that big a deal? Don't forget, nature holds the ultimate trump card.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:47 PM
Nice choice of words. ROFL

:D

Hey question about your avatar..is that an ink stained finger of a voting iraqi?

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 02:48 PM
:D

Hey question about your avatar..is that an ink stained finger of a voting iraqi?

Nah, my proctologist made a major find.

Cochise
01-31-2005, 02:51 PM
you seem to be one of a very few people around here that don't like it...

Who exactly does "like it"?

I think most of us probably have the avatar ignored or simply tolorate it. I don't think there's any getting around the fact that most people likely find it distasteful.

In fact, I would be interested to see you run a poll on it. Say something like:

"What do you think of my avatar?"
-I like it and applaud your use of it
-I think it's distasteful but I tolorate it
-I think it's distasteful and want it changed
-I think it's distasteful and have your avatar ignored
-I have all avatars ignored
-I think one of them is Gaz

Loki
01-31-2005, 02:53 PM
Nah, my proctologist made a major find.

what? you're a grape on the inside?

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 02:59 PM

I think most of us probably have the avatar ignored or simply tolorate it. I don't think there's any getting around the fact that most people likely find it distasteful.

Vailpass and Lattimer are the only people who have publically said anything "negative" about it...I have gotten some positive rep over it thought :thumb:

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:00 PM
what? you're a grape on the inside?ROFL

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:01 PM
what? you're a grape on the inside?

Full disclosure: I'm Violet Beauregard.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/9581/violet2.jpg

Cochise
01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
Vailpass and Lattimer are the only people who have publically said anything "negative" about it...I have gotten some positive rep over it thought :thumb:

Put me down under "I think it's distasteful and have your avatar ignored".

I notice you aren't in a hurry to actually poll to find out though... :hmmm:

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Put me down under "I think it's distasteful and have your avatar ignored".

I notice you aren't in a hurry to actually poll to find out though... :hmmm:

and that is your right to do so...dunno why vailpass doesn't do it anyway...and no I'm not going to start a poll

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Full disclosure: I'm Violet Beauregard.

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/9581/violet2.jpgROFL

I think I shall watch that movie again today

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
I've never seen it. I've had avatars and signatures turned off for a long long time.

wait... wasn't this thread supposed to be about willy wonka?

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I've never seen it. I've had avatars and signatures turned off for a long long time.

just curious...why? I think it make this place rather blah boring when you turn avs and siggys off

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:08 PM

Where is the "who gives a rat's ass" option?

Seriously, you've got one "like it" and three "dislikes", plus the "on ignore" and standard Gaz option. You need at least a couple "it doesn't offend me", or "I could give a crap" options...

:shrug:

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:09 PM

Close: I think it's about willies and wankers.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Close: I think it's about willies and wankers.ROFL

Cochise
01-31-2005, 03:10 PM
and that is your right to do so...dunno why vailpass doesn't do it anyway...and no I'm not going to start a poll

Well, you were attempting to create the impression that very few people around here didn't like it, I was inviting you to test that conclusion.

But, if you aren't interested in whether a statement is true or not before making it, then I guess it's no big deal :hmmm:

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll note that I'm definitely not gay and I don't find the avy offensive at all. It's not even overtly "sexual", although it's pretty clear the two guys aren't straight.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
it's pretty clear the two guys aren't straight.

Why do you say that? I just assumed they came through the Great War together and shared that intensive bond of friendship that only combat comrades can.

Cochise
01-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Where is the "who gives a rat's ass" option?

Seriously, you've got one "like it" and three "dislikes", plus the "on ignore" and standard Gaz option. You need at least a couple "it doesn't offend me", or "I could give a crap" options...

:shrug:

I think the "who cares" option would be not voting :shrug:

I was putting it out here so the options could be refined. I'm not in market research or anything.

Would this be more effective?

-I like it
-I don't like it but it doesn't offend me
-I don't like it and it does offend me
-I think it's Amnorix and Gaz

Donger
01-31-2005, 03:14 PM
The funny thing is that I hadn't noticed DC's avatar until this thread.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 03:16 PM

You're a dumbass. That's what I really think.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 03:17 PM
I have all avs and sigs turned off.

the hooters and cooters would get me busted at work, and the Mud Butters would ruin my appetite.

back to the thread..........I personally hope the next decade has ALOT of backlash against the crap being argued the past 2.

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Why do you say that? I just assumed they came through the Great War together and shared that intensive bond of friendship that only combat comrades can.

True, I might be "projecting", so to speak.

I'm not used to seeing topless men leaning on each other quite so familiarly, so to speak. :)

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:19 PM
The funny thing is that I hadn't noticed DC's avatar until this thread.

Ditto. Compared to the signatures of hot, nearly naked women grinding it out (note that I heartily approve of such things), it seems pretty darn inoccuous to me.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:19 PM
I'm not used to seeing topless men leaning on each other quite so familiarly, so to speak. :)

Really? I thought you lived in a blue state.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
"rat's ass"

There has to be a joke about a gerbil and Legal Title to brownstar Canyon ranch, somewhere.

DenverChief

I wonder what vailpass would think if they were wrapped in an american flag?

Radar Chief
I'll note that I'm definitely not gay

Sure you aren’t, I just keep hearing steam escaping while reading your posts. ;)

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Yes, thank God they're Moldavian.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 03:21 PM
amx,
I thought it was Fabuluth how you dominated Paris Hilton in the Ho-off.

Donger
01-31-2005, 03:26 PM
(note that I heartily approve of such things)

ROFL

Yeah, heard you the first two times.

Amnorix is NOT, I repeat NOT, a turd burglar.

Loki
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM

oh... SLAMMMMM !!!

http://www.bongonews.com/layout1.php?event=952
http://www.bongonews.com/StoryImages/kerry_tedkennedy.jpg

vailpass
01-31-2005, 03:34 PM
amx,

Jesus I just about blew a plug holding my belly-laugh in on that one....

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:36 PM

:p

Haven't been to Provincetown lately. Or Cambridge (although Cambridge isn't really like San Francisco from what I've heard of SF.

Provincetown is waaaaay gay, but I've never been out there (it's on the tip of Cape Cod, and a good hike from Boston).

vailpass
01-31-2005, 03:36 PM
You're a dumbass. That's what I really think.

Evidence in support of statement please. You begin with a perfectly good thesis but it drops off dramatically from there.

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Sure you aren’t, I just keep hearing steam escaping while reading your posts. ;)

Actually, the Girly Pic thread is what initially drew me to this fine forum... :)

Amnorix
01-31-2005, 03:38 PM
amx,

ROFL

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Evidence in support of statement please. You begin with a perfectly good thesis but it drops off dramatically from there.

Your posts are evidence.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM

I would think they were a couple of fags wrapped in the flag. You need to be sensitive to how far you push stuff like this on people. History shows that there are severe consequences for those who blatantly push the gay agenda on the wrong person(s). Not that you have anything to worry about on the internet but I hope you are more careful about this stuff when you are out in the real world.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 03:42 PM
just curious...why? I think it make this place rather blah boring when you turn avs and siggys off

1) I sometimes view CP from work - where a screen full of mostly text and a red layout theme might seem ok, but a screen full of images (many graphic in content) would not.

2) My workplace also uses a black list to prevent access to forbidden internet sites and report the accessor. Someone linking a pic in a thread that comes from a forbidden site would land me in hotwater (and potentially put the planet on the black list).

3) I have kids who come into the office at home and see what I'm doing on my computer.

Now, if I could have my session settings dictated by a client side cookie so that I get images at home and not at work I might be tempted to try my luck with #3, but 1 and 2 pretty much rule out the use of sigs or avatars.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Your posts are evidence.

If you care enough to comment then have the intestinal fortitude to make a statement instead of sticking your tongue out at me from behind a fence. Bring your facts big boy; let's see what you have.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
If you care enough to comment then have the intestinal fortitude to make a statement instead of sticking your tongue out at me from behind a fence. Bring your facts big boy; let's see what you have.

It's a subjective opinion, not something that can be categorically tested and measured. However, we can measure how many people share this opinion and see if it is a consensus opinion.

All in favor of the statement "vailpass is a dumbass" say aye.

Radar Chief
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
1) I sometimes view CP from work - where a screen full of mostly text and a red layout theme might seem ok, but a screen full of images (many graphic in content) would not.

2) My workplace also uses a black list to prevent access to forbidden internet sites and report the accessor. Someone linking a pic in a thread that comes from a forbidden site would land me in hotwater (and potentially put the planet on the black list).

3) I have kids who come into the office at home and see what I'm doing on my computer.

Now, if I could have my session settings dictated by a client side cookie so that I get images at home and not at work I might be tempted to try my luck with #3, but 1 and 2 pretty much rule out the use of sigs or avatars.

Same here.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:49 PM
I would think they were a couple of fags wrapped in the flag. You need to be sensitive to how far you push stuff like this on people. History shows that there are severe consequences for those who blatantly push the gay agenda on the wrong person(s). Not that you have anything to worry about on the internet but I hope you are more careful about this stuff when you are out in the real world.Oh good lord man...I don't wear my sexuality on my sleeve in public...this is a place to come let our extreme sides hang out...if you can't deal with that then find another spot....and I could care less what anyone in the real world has to say to me....they wanna come talk to 5'10'' 200 lbs of solid rockness about my sexual orientation then lettem...I bet you wouldn't mind me wearing my pink triangle while pullin you out from underneath a pack of crazy lesbians who go tired of your ca ca mouth

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 03:50 PM

You're getting worried about DC pushing a gay agenda. How's he pushing any agenda? You're feeling pressured by some little picture? A little picture and you've lost it?

Furthermore, and I just want to say this in general about a common issue with the whole gay marriage. Anti gay people cry about the "Sanctity" of marriage. And what's the divorce rate again? Oh yeah that's right...

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Aye

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
It's a subjective opinion, not something that can be categorically tested and measured. However, we can measure how many people share this opinion and see if it is a consensus opinion.

aye

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Same here.

same here.

Laz will be along any time to label you a thin skinned fun hater.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
same here.

Laz will be along any time to label you a thin skinned fun hater.

no no fur burger hater...er wait....

Donger
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I bet you wouldn't mind me wearing my pink triangle while pullin you out from underneath a pack of crazy lesbians who go tired of your ca ca mouth

I can't speak for vailpass, but I, for one, would mind intensely.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
So far the ayes have it 2 - 0. At the conclusion of the polling we'll have Rain Man examine the ballots for tampering and indicate whether the results are beyond any potential sampling error. As a pollster I'm afraid I must maintain my objectivity by refraining from voting.

Radar Chief
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I can't speak for vailpass, but I, for one, would mind intensely.

Woof, maybe you seeing a different class of “crazed lesbians” than the Feminazi Bull-Dikes I’ve run across.

Donger
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Woof, maybe you seeing a different class of “crazed lesbians” than the Feminazi Bull-Dikes I’ve run across.

Yeah. I forgot to add "lipstick" in front of lesbians.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
I can't speak for vailpass, but I, for one, would mind intensely.ROFL

Really?;)

http://www.thegully.com/essays/gaymundo/queerimg4/dyke_march_marshals.jpg

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:03 PM

Insufficient sample. Don't attempt to cloud the issue.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I think vailpass takes it in the great divide.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
I think vailpass takes it in the great divide.ROFLROFLROFL

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd say that means that DC would like to row, row row the boat up the famous vail pass stink river

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2005, 04:34 PM

Aaaaahhhhheeeeemmmmm......and WHO do you have to thank for that, Jason? :harumph:

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Lattimer,
If heterosexuals can flaunt their heterosexuality on this board then I see no problem with homosexuals flanting their homosexuality. It is not my cup of tea but seems petty and unfair to tell someone else they can't do soemthing everyone else is free to do.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
So far the ayes have it 2 - 0. At the conclusion of the polling we'll have Rain Man examine the ballots for tampering and indicate whether the results are beyond any potential sampling error. As a pollster I'm afraid I must maintain my objectivity by refraining from voting.

Oh my god. NERD ALERT NERD ALERT NERD ALERT

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
I think vailpass takes it in the great divide.

Over my dead Eisenhower Tunnel!

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 04:44 PM

"Please provide the correct, accurate evidence for that accusation, because the premise was there, but then it just comprehensively plummeted after that."

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Res ipsis loquitr

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
"Please provide the correct, accurate evidence for that accusation, because the premise was there, but then it just comprehensively plummeted after that."
You must have missed it. Heterosexuality was designated the official sexuality of Chiefs Planet. It is part of the charter. ROFL

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Res ipsis loquitr

obodyn ivesg a hits bouta ouy...or your greek

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
obodyn ivesg a hits bouta ouy...or your greek

I'm sorry, I dont follow. Will you please translate?

Wait, is that supposed to be Pig Latin? Ah insuslts, the refuge of the ignorant/nerd. Which are you?
Let me guess, you have the build of Steven Hawking and you cower behind a keyboard all day making bold statements that you would love tomake in real life if only Obi Wan would give you the strength?

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 04:50 PM

oN.

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
You know Vali...for someone who is against DC's avatar you sure have been flirting with Jenson a lot.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 04:57 PM

Wait, is that supposed to be Pig Latin? Ah insuslts, the refuge of the ignorant/nerd. Which are you?
Let me guess, you have the build of Steven Hawking and you cower behind a keyboard all day making bold statements that you would love tomake in real life if only Obi Wan would give you the strength?

Ah, irony...

You can't really insult me though, sorry. I'm more of a take it easy type of person.

Oh, Seinfeld's on.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
BTW, because the post has now been deleted, Vail simply laid it on the line and called me a homo. And yes, that was after he said insults were the refuge of the ignorant/nerd.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
You know Vali...for someone who is against DC's avatar you sure have been flirting with Jenson a lot.
nlm :banghead:

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
So Vali tell me...you never answered my post on the topic of conversation.

Why shouldn't DC be allowed to put that in his avatar? The comparison to BD's avatar is made you say that BD's are appealing and his are not. Well they are to him. What is the problem with the way the board runs as it is now. Equal.

KC Jones
01-31-2005, 05:00 PM

heh - how old are you?

vailpass
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
BTW, because the post has now been deleted, Vail simply laid it on the line and called me a homo. And yes, that was after he said insults were the refuge of the ignorant/nerd.

For the fun-hating PC crowd: I intended the 'homo' comment with dry humor but, given the audience, I re-considered. Knee-jerk kid's like Jenson here are so intent on goose-stepping to the pC beat they don't get that sort of thing.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 05:02 PM
heh - how old are you?

38 and counting; you?

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Why shouldn't DC be allowed to put that in his avatar? The comparison to BD's avatar is made you say that BD's are appealing and his are not. Well they are to him. What is the problem with the way the board runs as it is now. Equal.
*crickets*

vailpass
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM

Please don't misunderstand my point. There is absolutely no reason DC should not be allowed to put up his avatar. That would be wrong and hateful. DC's sexual practices make me ill but I defend his right to chase hairy man butt so long as it's between consenting adults.
Equal to DC's right to his avatar is my right to voice objection to his choice to subject a non-homosexually oriented web site to gay material. There are web sites dedicated to that sort of thing and, if you go there, you know what you are getting into.
Summary: I don't ask that DC rights be violated by his not being allowed to have an avatar that follows the same rules as everyone else's; I asked DC to consider, of his own free will, not putting up a blatantly gay avatar on a web site not designated as homosexual.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 05:10 PM
*crickets*

Sorry man I work during the day and can't always respond promptly.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 05:10 PM
For the fun-hating PC crowd: I intended the 'homo' comment with dry humor but, given the audience, I re-considered. Knee-jerk kid's like Jenson here are so intent on goose-stepping to the pC beat they don't get that sort of thing.

I think most people who post here and have paid attention to me know that I:

1. Have a great sense of humor
2. I'm not really PC.

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Please don't misunderstand my point. There is absolutely no reason DC should not be allowed to put up his avatar. That would be wrong and hateful. DC's sexual practices make me ill but I defend his right to chase hairy man butt so long as it's between consenting adults.
Equal to DC's right to his avatar is my right to voice objection to his choice to subject a non-homosexually oriented web site to gay material. There are web sites dedicated to that sort of thing and, if you go there, you know what you are getting into.
Summary: I don't ask that DC rights be violated by his not being allowed to have an avatar that follows the same rules as everyone else's; I asked DC to consider, of his own free will, not putting up a blatantly gay avatar on a web site not designated as homosexual.
I think you would have a point if this website were at any point designated "heterosexual"

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Aaaaahhhhheeeeemmmmm......and WHO do you have to thank for that, Jason? :harumph::)ROFL and this pic too?

Donger
01-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Equal.

Are you suggesting that heterosexuality and homosexuality are equal? If so, based on what criteria?

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Are you suggesting that heterosexuality and homosexuality are equal? If so, based on what criteria?
I believe the oppurtunity to express your homo or hetero sexuality on this board should be equal.

Donger
01-31-2005, 05:18 PM
I believe the oppurtunity to express your homo or hetero sexuality on this board should be equal.

Understood.

Bootlegged
I don't care if DC sucks peepee either, just thought it was a disturbing avatar.

He obviously wants to create a buzz by posting that as his avatar. It's the new thing...flaunt your gayness and then laugh and point at those who don't like it.

|Zach|
Understood.
:thumb:

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't care if DC sucks peepee either, just thought it was a disturbing avatar.

He obviously wants to create a buzz by posting that as his avatar. It's the new thing...flaunt your gayness and then laugh and point at those who don't like it.
This wouldn't work if others didn't get worked up about it. I guess this logic just kind of rolls both ways.

Loki
01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
wow... this argument is STILL on?

Donger
01-31-2005, 05:22 PM

I tend to agree. I could care less if two guys want to hump each other, but I do think that 1) DC is stirring the shit with his avatar or 2) continuing with the apparent homosexual agenda of trying to "normalize" or "equalize" homosexuality with heterosexuality. Perhaps both.

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:22 PM
wow... this argument is STILL on?
Heh it is an argument being had my a lot of people in a lot of places these days...

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
:)ROFL and this pic too?You like that one....I always envision a "young" TJ whenever I see that one...heh. ROFL

Loki
01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Heh it is an argument being had my a lot of people in a lot of places these days...

ok. DC's avatar - (my $ 0.02)

i suppose he has just as much right to have it when there are plenty
of girly avatars on the BB. doesn't mean i LIKE his avatar... (actually
kinda turns my stomach) but i'm not about to make that big a deal
about it because that would be hypocritical.
DC seems to also like to push the limits with the 'tolerance/acceptance'
factor on the board. whatever. i don't find that NEARLY as offensive as
some of the anti-US bashing i hear from mememe and some of the other
wanker-libs. besides, DC served our nation, so has my respect (despite
being a leg-mech :p )... (*doesn't mean i like your AV or understand
your 'preferences' though dude...*)

alllrightythen...

la la la la la la la la la la la la ....
i'm not listening anymore...

sort it out.

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:43 PM

alllrightythen...

sort it out.
I see no problem with this view...

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
I assume, of course, that the avatar ignore feature has already been mentioned in this thread.

|Zach|
01-31-2005, 05:49 PM
I assume, of course, that the avatar ignore feature has already been mentioned in this thread.
Ya, but uhhhh....this site uhhh like registeres as a hetero site and um.

Ya.

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM

SDChiefsFan

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
It could be worse. He could have this as his avator:

http://www.femmefan.com/site/images/lookerspics/lookers2/Ivan---bodybuilding.jpg

OldTownChief
01-31-2005, 05:57 PM

Mozilla's adblock extension is a wonderful thing, you don't have to turn off avatars. Just the stupid ones.

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Now, if I could have my session settings dictated by a client side cookie so that I get images at home and not at work

That would be a sweet feature.

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 06:00 PM

While he's certainly being a dumbass wrt this issue, I'm not sure I'm willing to cast a broad assessment at this time. I have a vague memory of agreeing with him about somethingorother once upon a time.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Ya, but uhhhh....this site uhhh like registeres as a hetero site and um.

Ya.

Hetero is the biological default by virtue of procreation; it does not need to be registerd because it is assumed.
Homo is a biological anomoly and is therefore not to be expected.
Now that you understand the arguement you can approach it logically instead of using sophomoric ridicule.
Logic makes for a much stronger conversation than knee-jerk reactions programmed into you by the PC police.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 06:05 PM

alllrightythen...

sort it out.

:) I forgot your a ground pounder or airbore?

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Mozilla's adblock extension is a wonderful thing, you don't have to turn off avatars. Just the stupid ones.
You can ignore individual avatars through your profile as well.,

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Okay okay I give in; gay avvie's are so o.k. I stole this from someone here.....

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:09 PM
programmed into you by the PC police.

They're gonna gitcha! THEY'RE COMING FOR US!!!! IT'S THE....IT'S THE...THE....PC POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ratatak.com/modules/images/napalm.jpg

ENDelt260
01-31-2005, 06:10 PM
They're gonna gitcha! THEY'RE COMING FOR US!!!! IT'S THE....IT'S THE...THE....PC POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ratatak.com/modules/images/napalm.jpg
Ah, memories. That picture was part of a great moment in ChiefsPlanet history.

Bootlegged
01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
if this thread has taught us anything, it's that Zach and Jenson are raging homos. They just needed some encouragement.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
You can have Alf; I'll take Hawk Girl. (reprinted with permission from Herky'sBro)

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:15 PM
if this thread has taught us anything, it's that Zach and Jenson are raging homos. They just needed some encouragement.

Like hell I am...

I just needed to argue with someone.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Like hell I am...

I just needed to argue with someone.

I hear ya' but I wish it wasn't me. Your avvy is one of the coolest scenes from my favorite movie series (I & II, phuck III). I should have known you were going to be difficult; I've frisked a thousand young punks.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:20 PM
I hear ya' but I wish it wasn't me. Your avvy is one of the coolest scenes from my favorite movie series (I & II, phuck III). I should have known you were going to be difficult; I've frisked a thousand young punks.

Kiss the ring, bitch. Kiss the ring...

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Okay, vailpass. It's cool. But DC and I go way back...

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Kiss the cock ring, bitch. Kiss the cock ring...

God maybe Lattimer is right about you. Thanks but no thanks. Anyway, I picture you as more a Fredo than a Michael. Or maybe Moe Green after he get's his last rub down.
Nice playing with you all; leaving for home now via the parking lots known as I-10, then I-17, then Loop 101.
Cheers.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Maybe I'm more Santino? Vito? You know, that's a damn great poll.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 06:28 PM

Dude, you should drop in more often. Zach's been a flamer for quite awhile now.

vailpass
01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Okay, vailpass. It's cool. But DC and I go way back...

That's your thing and I respect it.

But don't you ever, ever, show anyone outside of the family what you are thinking again.

mlyonsd
01-31-2005, 06:30 PM
I wish you guys would knock off with the gay stuff before some raider fan finds it and posts the link on one of their boards.

Bootlegged
01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Dude, you should drop in more often. Zach's been a flamer for quite awhile now.

I feel so uninformed. So, DC and Zach are gay. This Jenson kid is confused and meme still has an asshair issue?

Damn the MTV generation.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 06:33 PM
I wish you guys would knock off with the gay stuff before some raider fan finds it and posts the link on one of their boards.ROFL

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Equal to DC's right to his avatar is my right to voice objection to his choice to subject a non-homosexually oriented web site to gay material.
Which is in turn equal to our right to advise you to get over yourself.
BTW - you went beyond voicing displeasure, to tell him, on behalf of the whole BB, that his avvy wasn't welcome here and to take it elsewhere.
Must've missed the thread announcing you'd bought the board from AC.

Loki
01-31-2005, 07:34 PM
:) I forgot your a ground pounder or airbore?

touche...

however, the 'LEG' comment should have given you the answer...
http://www.isoeasy.org/images/jump%20wings%20002.jpg

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 07:54 PM
touche...

however, the 'LEG' comment should have given you the answer...
http://www.isoeasy.org/images/jump%20wings%20002.jpg

awesome...I figured by the leg comment but wasn't sure :thumb:

Loki
01-31-2005, 08:11 PM
awesome...I figured by the leg comment but wasn't sure :thumb:

yeah.. i know you're jealous... those nice shiny jump wings...

anyways, carry on with the controversy. :thumb:

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 10:51 PM
yeah.. i know you're jealous... those nice shiny jump wings...

anyways, carry on with the controversy. :thumb:
bah ....come talk to me when you get a pair of these bad boys;)

http://www.aboutww2militaria.com/fieldg_nem/spori.jpg

Dave Lane
01-31-2005, 10:54 PM

Although I'm not gay i certainly support his right to choose as he will. And unless he posts nude guys in his avatar I'm not offended. Not that I'm looking hard or anything.

I look at religion and homosexuality the same way to me. As long as you don't try to convert me or tell me about what you are doing I'm fine with it.
:)

Dave

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 10:59 PM

Y'know, the avvy was bad enough. But stop posting pics of your gay sex devices.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Y'know, the avvy was bad enough. But stop posting pics of your gay sex devices.ROFLSPURS damnit! SPURS!ROFL

Mr. Kotter
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
SDChiefsFan

Yup. Just like you really like fat chicks. :thumb:

:rolleyes:

SNR
01-31-2005, 11:20 PM
I have nothing else to say about this thread.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 11:28 PM

I KNEW IT!
You were great in the Village People.

DenverChief
01-31-2005, 11:39 PM
I KNEW IT!
You were great in the Village People.ROFL

MadMax
01-31-2005, 11:46 PM
ROFL

Say it aint so Denver....... :shake: Not that there's anything wrong with that. :p

Boozer
02-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Wait...you're saying you only sleep with guys because you've embraced the low-standards lifestyle? :spock:

ENDelt260
02-01-2005, 01:09 PM

I'm sorry... have I been seeking out pics of fat women for others to use as avatars?

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry... have I been seeking out pics of fat women for others to use as avatars?

I ran across the dang pic (searching google for "pride" of all things....), and immediately thought of DC.... :p