PDA

View Full Version : Writing Essay tips....

David.
02-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok, I'm writing an essay for English, and I'm having trouble starting it. Anyone have any tips they used to get the process started?

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Ok, I'm writing an essay for English, and I'm having trouble starting it. Anyone have any tips they used to get the process started?

Remeber when I said I was happy I was done with english? And then I said it was because I had trouble starting papers and ending up staying up all night writing one. Yeah...

David.
02-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Remeber when I said I was happy I was done with english? And then I said it was because I had trouble starting papers and ending up staying up all night writing one. Yeah...

yeah I can't WAIT until I'm done.

only like....14 weeks, 3 essays, 10 microthemes, 8 peer reviews, and a lot of sleepless nights to go :(

cdcox
02-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Make sure you have an introduction, body and conclusion. In my first freshman essay I got slayed because I didn't have these. Thing is, I knew to organize it this way, but the instructor said, "Don't worry about structure, just get your ideas down on paper."

Start with the body. To get the process started, just put down your main ideas in any order. Then, put them in a logical order that build an agruement. Then add the transitions to go from one idea to another. After the body is finished, add the intro and conclusions.

David.
02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Make sure you have an introduction, body and conclusion. In my first freshman essay I got slayed because I didn't have these. Thing is, I knew to organize it this way, but the instructor said, "Don't worry about structure, just get your ideas down on paper."

Start with the body. To get the process started, just put down your main ideas in any order. Then, put them in a logical order that build an agruement. Then add the transitions to go from one idea to another. After the body is finished, add the intro and conclusions.

hmm, that may just work. What I need to do is start writing and it will (hopefully) come to me. Thanks for the idea

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:15 PM
I always HAD to start with a good thesis. Then came the opening sentence. If either of those were bad/unorginial, I wouldn't start writing. Eventually I'd come up with some qual stuff, but that would be like 3 am. Good times.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:24 PM

Good advice....for sure.

I like comin' up with the thesis BEFORE you write (as Metro suggests); then move onto an outline, with three or four topic sentences that make up the main ideas that support your thesis...that will be the focus of each of the paragraphs in the body. For me, in the intro you need a hook to get the reader's attention; and in the conclusion, you need a nice succinct summary of your thesis/paper.

It usually worked pretty well for me... :thumb:

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Good advice....for sure.

I like comin' up with the thesis BEFORE you write (as Metro suggests); then move onto an outline, with three or four topic sentences that make up the main ideas that support your thesis...that will be the focus of each of the paragraphs in the body. For me, in the intro you need a hook to get the reader's attention; and in the conclusion, you need a nice succinct summary of your thesis/paper.

It usually worked pretty well for me... :thumb:

Hahah, my conclusions always sucked, by the time I got to them, it'd be 7 am and I'd stop giving a shit at that point in time. Also, as long as you got a good opener and a thesis, just start writing and new ideas will keep coming.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Hahah, my conclusions always sucked, by the time I got to them, it'd be 7 am and I'd stop giving a shit at that point in time. Also, as long as you got a good opener and a thesis, just start writing and new ideas will keep coming.

What's the topic?

David.
02-01-2005, 11:33 PM
my task is and I quote " write an essay in which you analyze the ways in which one of these author's uses of rhetorical techniques enable him to develop his thematic concerns and discuss how this highly anthologized story reflects or refutes Vargas Llosa's argument regarding the role of literature."

the author I'm using is either Wilfred Owen with "Dulce et Decorum Est" or Tim O'Brien with "the things they carried"

David.
02-01-2005, 11:34 PM
oh and vargas llosa with "Why Literature?"

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:36 PM
my task is and I quote " write an essay in which you analyze the ways in which one of these author's uses of rhetorical techniques enable him to develop his thematic concerns and discuss how this highly anthologized story reflects or refutes Vargas Llosa's argument regarding the role of literature."

the author I'm using is either Wilfred Owen with "Dulce et Decorum Est" or Tim O'Brien with "the things they carried"

Hmmmmm; that's not easily googled, is it? :hmmm:

David.
02-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Hmmmmm; that's not easily googled, is it? :hmmm:

heh, not exactly

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:37 PM

Is that 102?

David.
02-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Is that 102?

uhhh I don't know you're guys number system. It's general english. I'm afraid I got into an honors class though.

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:41 PM
uhhh I don't know you're guys number system. It's general english. I'm afraid I got into an honors class though.

Is this your first English class in college? I thought all school had similar systems. Where 100 is the most basic course you can take. Goes up to 900.

David.
02-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Is this your first English class in college? I thought all school had similar systems. Where 100 is the most basic course you can take. Goes up to 900.

our numbers just got switched last year. I think it would be 101.

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:44 PM
our numbers just got switched last year. I think it would be 101.

No, if it's honors it's 105. 102 honors is 106. After that it's 200 level classes.

David.
02-01-2005, 11:48 PM
No, if it's honors it's 105. 102 honors is 106. After that it's 200 level classes.

well....I don't know your number thing.

All I know is when I picked up my books the class number was 1000(H) which means it was an honors class. And my english has been harder than my friends english. EITHER WAY, writing this essay is going to be a bitch. And I really have to get to it.

Pants
02-01-2005, 11:50 PM

All I know is when I picked up my books the class number was 1000(H) which means it was an honors class. And my english has been harder than my friends english. EITHER WAY, writing this essay is going to be a bitch. And I really have to get to it.

4-5 pgs?

SNR
02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Always start your essays off with a poop joke. Trust me.

David.
02-02-2005, 12:00 AM
4-5 pgs?

yeah

DenverChief
02-02-2005, 02:03 AM

um yeah that doesn't sound like a freshman level class question...unless of course you were a nerd in H.S.

DenverChief
02-02-2005, 02:06 AM

dude who the hell signed you up for an honors class?

Braincase
02-02-2005, 03:32 AM
dude who the hell signed you up for an honors class?

DC, remember, he's at Mizzou. If he scored over room temperature on his SAT's, he could qualify for honors classes and walk on the basketball team.

Sorry... that just wasn't nice, I know. I'm going to have to live with this guilt for at least... hey, brownies!

DenverChief
02-02-2005, 03:35 AM
DC, remember, he's at Mizzou. If he scored over room temperature on his SAT's, he could qualify for honors classes and walk on the basketball team.

Sorry... that just wasn't nice, I know. I'm going to have to live with this guilt for at least... hey, brownies!ROFL shoulda saved the rep...I owe you ROFL