PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you Planeteers go to college?

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:45 AM
To get a great paying job is it what you know, or who you know?

Just wondering how many of you guys and gals went to college. Does anyone think it benefited them? There is so much damn cheating going on at my college. When your finished you usually do the academic dump anyways. :hmmm:

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 09:46 AM
I dropped out of sixth grade. But, I promised my gramama I'd go back and finish someday.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I walked by one once.

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:47 AM
I dropped out of sixth grade. But, I promised my gramama I'd go back and finish someday.

Just reminded me of the waterboy...............Mamma said, Mamma said, girls are the devil ROFL

Bowser
02-02-2005, 09:48 AM
I deliver packages to a community college. Does that count?

KcMizzou
I went... for a few months.

KCTitus
Went to college, got an accounting degree...now, Im working as an IT manager.

Did it help? Yes. It got me in the door...something I couldnt have done w/o a degree.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:49 AM
I went to college. i own my own business, but the only good thing that I got out of college was some good parties and my wife.

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:49 AM

:banghead:

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 09:50 AM
A bachelor's degree now is the equivalent of a high school diploma 30 years ago. It just gets you in the door.

As for the cheating, that's pathetic. When they get out into the work force, they'll just be fired eventually. (I know, because I've had to do it.) They're only screwing over themselves.

As for me, my undergrad degree was in engineering. I don't do that type of work any more, but it had a long-lasting positive impact because it taught me how to think about and solve problems in an orderly and logical manner.

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I went to college. i own my own business, but the only good thing that I got out of college was some good parties and my wife.

What kind of business you own?

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
I had a college roommate who always cheted on his accounting exams and papers. He got a really good job with ArthurAnderson in 1999, to this day I think he was to blame, I know he lost his job, I don't have a clue what he is doing now

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:53 AM
Political Fundraising & Consulting Firm

Donger
Did any of you Planeteers go to college?

Does KU count?

Rain Man

He sells term papers to college students.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Depends on your line of work, obviously. ;)

A degree looks good on a resume, but doesn't amount to shit once you enter the workforce unless it is in a skilled area (applied science/technology) - and even then, you will learn more on-the-job than you did in school.

The only exception I can think of = mathematics.

milkman

I've delivered furniture, milk, cakes and bread to several different colleges and universities in my years in the service industry.

Does any of that count?

Knob
He sells term papers to college students.
:clap: ROFL

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 09:56 AM
I had a college roommate who always cheted on his accounting exams and papers. He got a really good job with ArthurAnderson in 1999, to this day I think he was to blame, I know he lost his job, I don't have a clue what he is doing now

That made me chuckle.

Remember that young guy who destroyed that bank in the Far East a few years back? He was something like 29 years old and was working in Hong Kong or Singapore or some place for a big European bank, and he singlehandedly lost some ungodly amount of money making risky investments. The whole bank went down.

Hoover
:clap: ROFL
I went to college wanting to teach History, so unless you want a History Paper you are out of luck

Rain Man
I've delivered furniture, milk, cakes and bread to several different colleges and universities in my years in the service industry.

Does any of that count?

If you're on the football team I think you can get some credit hours for it.

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Depends on your line of work, obviously. ;)

A degree looks good on a resume, but doesn't amount to shit once you enter the workforce unless it is in a skilled area (applied science/technology) - and even then, you will learn more on-the-job than you did in school.

The only exception I can think of = mathematics.

That is how it is in healthcare (Nursing anyways). Most of the damn people cheat through school get their diploma and then get a job and learn as they go. Pretty scary when you think about it. Wrong drugs could kill people.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
That made me chuckle.

Remember that young guy who destroyed that bank in the Far East a few years back? He was something like 29 years old and was working in Hong Kong or Singapore or some place for a big European bank, and he singlehandedly lost some ungodly amount of money making risky investments. The whole bank went down.
He liked my now wife, had a cruch on her, and she was a friend of a girl I kne in High School and wanted me to invite her over to our room in hope my wife would tag along. She did and I was like wow she is hot, so I pulled the old Hoover trick, said "Have you read this book? No, he why don't you take it and bring it back" No looking back, he was pissed off because I moved in on a babe he didn't have the balls to ask out.

Knob
02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
If you're on the football team I think you can get some credit hours for it.

See Ricky Clemons of Mizzou U. :shake:

Bowser
02-02-2005, 09:59 AM

Does any of that count?

Heh. Sounds like you and I both have Masters Degrees in "Should Have Gone to College So I Won't Have to Bust my Ass Outside in the Weather."

Knob
02-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Heh. Sounds like you and I both have Masters Degrees in "Should Have Gone to College So I Won't Have to Bust my Ass Outside in the Weather."

ROFL

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
He hires old ladies and doesn't pay them. Then he gets pissed when they want to go home early.

KcMizzou
02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
He hires old ladies and doesn't pay them. Then he gets pissed when they want to go home early. And berates them untill they cry... don't forget that.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 10:05 AM
He hires old ladies and doesn't pay them. Then he gets pissed when they want to go home early.
Now I don't get pissed at my volunteers, only my employees

Hoover
02-02-2005, 10:06 AM
And berates them untill they cry... don't forget that.
But yet they always come back for more.

milkman

Perhaps, but I absolutely despised school, and skipped as much as I could get away with, and slept through many more hours of class.

I like working outdoors, and if getting rained on is the price I have to pay for it, then that's fine.

I never get wet anyway.
I'm small and quick, and just run between the drops. :)

Dr. Facebook Fever
I went to college at Emporia State...found my career while I was in college...and it has nothing to do with anything I studied, ever. I'm glad I went though...other that paying the loans back.

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
My wife used to work at a place that was owned by nuns. She has actually more or less fired a nun*, and has also made a nun cry. I tell her that I only survive because if I stand really still she can't see movement.

*Technically, they can't be fired, but she was made to leave her job and go work elsewhere within the nun system.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
skipped as much as I could get away with, and slept through many more hours of class.

Sounds like my college years.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
To get a great paying job is it what you know, or who you know?

Just wondering how many of you guys and gals went to college. Does anyone think it benefited them? There is so much damn cheating going on at my college. When your finished you usually do the academic dump anyways. :hmmm:

Question #1: Both

Question #2: Yes. Greatly.

Question #3 (implied): Yes, there is cheating.

Question #4 (implied): Wrong. Though on the surface, many people think so....that is not at all true. Education isn't about memorizing facts and trivia; it's about process...learning how to learn--discovering what it takes to become "informed" and "educated."

Ghostof
02-02-2005, 10:12 AM
I had sex with a college chick once and we did it on her term paper which she had to reprint it...

Does that count?

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I had sex with a college chick once and we did it on her term paper

Wouldn't a bed have been more comfortable?

siberian khatru
02-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Perhaps, but I absolutely despised school, and skipped as much as I could get away with, and slept through many more hours of class.

There are classes I know I took but remember absolutely nothing about them ... not even attending them. I passed them, and got good grades, but I seriously do not remember attending more than the first day to pick up the syllabus.

Herzig
02-02-2005, 10:14 AM
I went to college at Emporia State...found my career while I was in college...and it has nothing to do with anything I studied, ever. I'm glad I went though...other that paying the loans back.

My great uncle(Carl Didde) who is a millionaire, donated the Catholic Student Center building at Emporia State. I could have gone to college there for free...in hindsight...I probably should have gone there and saved some $$$.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
There are classes I know I took but remember absolutely nothing about them ... not even attending them. I passed them, and got good grades, but I seriously do not remember attending more than the first day to pick up the syllabus.
Wow. That's impressive. There's a handful of classes I didn't learn anything in... but, i at least recall showing up occassionally.

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Question #4 (implied): Wrong. Though on the surface, many people think so....that is not at all true. Education isn't about memorizing facts and trivia; it's about process...learning how to learn--discovering what it takes to become "informed" and "educated."

I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's something that is often underestimated and misunderstood about college. It's less about facts than it is about learning how to gather, analyze, and process knowledge. That goes for any major, from literature to engineering.

alanm
02-02-2005, 10:16 AM
To be honest, No one I know actually does any work related to their original batchelors degree. I know I didn't. Mine was in business and I went into Law Enforcement. You'd be better off joining the Armed Forces and save a ton of money. :thumb:

KcMizzou
02-02-2005, 10:18 AM
MShe has actually more or less fired a nun*, and has also made a nun cry.
Wow. And I thought Hoover was mean.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Wow. And I thought Hoover was mean.
I'm not Catholic, but from what I hear of Catholic schools... that nun probably had it coming.

Otter
02-02-2005, 10:20 AM
I remember my parents dropping me off at campus, next thing you know thier handing me a diploma and I'm stuck working for the next 40 plus years.

Moral of the story, never graduate.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:21 AM
See Ricky Clemons of Mizzou U. :shake:
Now that dude was a scholar. He picked up 18 credit hours in summer school.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 10:21 AM
I HATED being forced to take sociology and psychology and the like, so I enrolled in 'telecourses'. The way those worked: you got a bunch of video tapes (VHS), a couple of books and a manual. You were suppoed to watch the tapes, read the book and show up weekly for a test.

Dumbasses included the test questions and ANSWERS in the manuals. The tests were 100% multiple-choice & true/false. I simply memorized the answers, would show up, fill in the blanks on the tests (took about three minutes), stand up, hand in my test and leave. The look on all the other students' faces was priceless: total "WTF?!". Aced every single test :D

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Moral of the story, never graduate.

Biggest mistake I ever made in college.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
My wife used to work at a place that was owned by nuns. She has actually more or less fired a nun*, and has also made a nun cry. I tell her that I only survive because if I stand really still she can't see movement.

*Technically, they can't be fired, but she was made to leave her job and go work elsewhere within the nun system.
The "nun system"? Is that something like the cat industry?

Herzig
02-02-2005, 10:27 AM

No. I think that's where you never "get any" for the rest of your life.

cdcox
02-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow. That's impressive. There's a handful of classes I didn't learn anything in... but, i at least recall showing up occassionally.

When I took statics (engineering mechanics), the second day of class the instructor spent the whole hour working a problem that I had already worked as assigned home work. I was bored to death. From then on, I only attended on exam days. Made an A.

I learned a fair amount in that class, but none of it from the teacher. I think that the exercises that are done outside of class, especially those that make you think, do far more to impart learning than listening to a lecture.

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
The whole nun thing was weird, especially the office parties.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
My great uncle(Carl Didde) who is a millionaire, donated the Catholic Student Center building at Emporia State. I could have gone to college there for free...in hindsight...I probably should have gone there and saved some $$$.
Yeah, you should have gone to Emporia. Then you wouldn't be such a hillbilly.

Nzoner
02-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I was at college,however,rarely ever went as if I ever go back I'll be a 9th term freshman.

I did get a great education in socializing and meeting people though and it led to me doing sales for my own business.

Alton deFlat
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I've been coming to college for almost 26 years.

Chief Faithful
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Got a BS in Industrial Technology got a job and let the company pay for one evening class a week for the next ten years until I achieved a MS and a MBA. Now I am in a secure job, good pay, in a nice office, which allows me to grow fat and chatt with Paneteers all day.

Hindsight? Go to a tech school to become a certified auto-mechanic. Work for 5 years then open my own garage. Remember in America more Millionaires drive F150 pickups then any other vehicle because they started out by developing a skill with their hands not their brains.

I have a brother who is a CFO of a bank chain and he will tell you they will invest in a person who has been there and done that before they will invest in a smart guy with an idea.

Ghostof
02-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Theres a punchline in there somewhere...

All pu**y is relative?

Spade or Neuter your pu**y because you never know who is going to industrialize on it?

On a side note...I can see headlines in the papers or on the six o'clock news...

"Bob Barkers plans on going to heaven were thwarted when his "spade or neuter your pu%%y" campaign took a turn for the worse..."

Ghostof
02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't a bed have been more comfortable?

Its all about the spur of the moment.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's something that is often underestimated and misunderstood about college. It's less about facts than it is about learning how to gather, analyze, and process knowledge. That goes for any major, from literature to engineering.

Absolutely.

(although, I gotta admit....I was lookin' for a punch line there, Kevin.... :p )

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 10:52 AM
(although, I gotta admit....I was lookin' for a punch line there, Kevin.... :p )

...because he was f*cking the chicken!

LTownChief
02-02-2005, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Rain Man]A bachelor's degree now is the equivalent of a high school diploma 30 years ago. It just gets you in the door.

QUOTE]

only if you are graduating as an art major or something, liberal arts. Otherwise that's certainly not true at all. I graduated with a BSE and now I'm making commission off of sports advertising. Its not that great, but its alright

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Theres a punchline in there somewhere...

All pu**y is relative?

Spade or Neuter your pu**y because you never know who is going to industrialize on it?

On a side note...I can see headlines in the papers or on the six o'clock news...

"Bob Barkers plans on going to heaven were thwarted when his "spade or neuter your pu%%y" campaign took a turn for the worse..."
Actually I'm accusing Kevin of conjuring up the "nun system" much like he did the "cat industry".

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
...because he was f*cking the chicken!

:spock:

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 11:01 AM
:spock:
What? You said you were looking for a punchline.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Biggest mistake I ever made in college.
You have the same avatar as HC Chief. Are you guys brothers?

Bob Dole
02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
You have the same avatar as HC Chief. Are you guys brothers?

Wouldn't that require both of them to be male?

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Actually I'm accusing Kevin of conjuring up the "nun system" much like he did the "cat industry".

You doubt the cat industry? You think they got that furry and cute, with those big eyes and fluffy tails, without extensive market research and prototype development?

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't that require both of them to be male?
Good point.

Rain Man
A bachelor's degree now is the equivalent of a high school diploma 30 years ago. It just gets you in the door.

only if you are graduating as an art major or something, liberal arts. Otherwise that's certainly not true at all. I graduated with a BSE and now I'm making commission off of sports advertising. Its not that great, but its alright

I dunno. My intent is to say that bachelor's degrees are common now. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd bet that half of all job seekers now hold degrees, compared to 40 years ago when it was probably 20 percent. In my mind, that means that a degree no longer sets you apart from the majority. Not having one sets you apart from the majority.

I also think that a master's degree now is the job-seeking equivalent of a bachelor's degree 40 years ago. They still set a person apart, even though they're no longer 'elite' in terms of qualifications.

Count Zarth
I HATED being forced to take sociology and psychology and the like, so I enrolled in 'telecourses'. The way those worked: you got a bunch of video tapes (VHS), a couple of books and a manual. You were suppoed to watch the tapes, read the book and show up weekly for a test.

Dumbasses included the test questions and ANSWERS in the manuals. The tests were 100% multiple-choice & true/false. I simply memorized the answers, would show up, fill in the blanks on the tests (took about three minutes), stand up, hand in my test and leave. The look on all the other students' faces was priceless: total "WTF?!". Aced every single test :D

That is BLOODY AWESOME.

I had one class in high school sort of like that. Our "final exam review" was basically a copy of the exam with the questions in a different order...

chiefs4me
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
I went to college,,best parties of my life. Did it help me land a great paying job? NO,,and I am still paying off the student loans.:banghead:

Phobia
02-02-2005, 11:59 AM
I went to Creighton and ISU in 1989.

In 1990, I transferred to VCU.

Nzoner
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM
I went to Creighton and ISU in 1990.

I thought you were leaving

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I went to college,,best parties of my life. Did it help me land a great paying job? NO,,and I am still paying off the student loans.:banghead:
That's because you're not very bright.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Empty promises. As usual.

go bowe
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Question #1: Both

Question #2: Yes. Greatly.

Question #3 (implied): Yes, there is cheating.

Question #4 (implied): Wrong. Though on the surface, many people think so....that is not at all true. Education isn't about memorizing facts and trivia; it's about process...learning how to learn--discovering what it takes to become "informed" and "educated."wow, that's absolutely true!!

so what happened to you? :p :p :p

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
wow, that's absolutely true!!

so what happened to you? :p :p :p

It's the white trash upbringin' I suppose; role-playin' I just lapse back into that comfort zone.... :shrug:

Phobia
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM

I did. Now I'm back.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I don't think you really ever left.

Straight, No Chaser
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
is it what you know, or who you know?

I think you have a typo ^ "It's not what you know but who you blow"

---->

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Anyone else gettin' the sense this guy is an alias for a regular who is a Donkey or Fader fan.....I'm bettin' Fader.... :hmmm:

RR, reincarnated?

LTownChief
02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
I dunno. My intent is to say that bachelor's degrees are common now. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd bet that half of all job seekers now hold degrees, compared to 40 years ago when it was probably 20 percent. In my mind, that means that a degree no longer sets you apart from the majority. Not having one sets you apart from the majority.

I also think that a master's degree now is the job-seeking equivalent of a bachelor's degree 40 years ago. They still set a person apart, even though they're no longer 'elite' in terms of qualifications.

I see what you are saying, but if it can get you in the door, then the rest is up to you, well thats not entirely true I guess, because at my work it seems to be "not how you play, its who you lay" because the boss's live-with girlfriend has recently received a nice promotion even though she does not do her job as well as others. But anyways, I see your point, but having a bachelor's degree > having a diploma from high school.