PDA

View Full Version : City government going too far - infringing on freedoms?

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:15 AM
I just saw on the news a couple days ago that my city passed a new ordinance. The ordinance says that you can't have a dog on a chain for more than 1 hour at a time. WTF? What, do they think that's cruel or something? I think it's stupid. Seems to me that there are plenty of other things that they could be using the resources for rather than chasing down pet owners for this crap.

My situation is that my dog learned to climb over the chain link fence about 2-3 years ago. So, I started putting her on a 20 foot chain. I explored the shock collar idea but this was easier and much cheaper. She has room to roam around on the chain and she doesn't climb over the fence anymore.

But now I will either have to put her in something like this.
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/i/inp0/inP022161_12d01.jpg
This enclosure seems like a crappy way for an animal to live. But that's what they are forcing residents to do. :shake:
Or I will have to build a privacy fence. We were already planning to build a privacy fence in the future. But it costs money that we don't have right now. Either way we do it, it is gonna cost us some dough.

It just seems to me that these ordinances like this are infringing on our freedoms. I mean, I hate it when my neighbors let their grass grow too long or don't clean up their trash can area. But that is their yard and they are free to do as they please as long as it isn't a health hazard. Anyone else agree? Disagree?

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
I didn't think about this until just now. If the mods think this thread should be in the DC forum, go ahead and move it. No biggie.

Donger
02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I just saw on the news a couple days ago that my city passed a new ordinance. The ordinance says that you can't have a dog on a chain for more than 1 hour at a time. WTF? What, do they think that's cruel or something? I think it's stupid. Seems to me that there are plenty of other things that they could be using the resources for rather than chasing down pet owners for this crap.

My situation is that my dog learned to climb over the chain link fence about 2-3 years ago. So, I started putting her on a 20 foot chain. I explored the shock collar idea but this was easier and much cheaper. She has room to roam around on the chain and she doesn't climb over the fence anymore.

But now I will either have to put her in something like this.
http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/standard/i/inp0/inP022161_12d01.jpg
This enclosure seems like a crappy way for an animal to live. But that's what they are forcing residents to do. :shake:
Or I will have to build a privacy fence. We were already planning to build a privacy fence in the future. But it costs money that we don't have right now. Either way we do it, it is gonna cost us some dough.

It just seems to me that these ordinances like this are infringing on our freedoms. I mean, I hate it when my neighbors let their grass grow too long or don't clean up their trash can area. But that is their yard and they are free to do as they please as long as it isn't a health hazard. Anyone else agree? Disagree?

http://www.topeka.org/policedepartment/tethering_information.shtml

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Can't have a dog on a chain for more than an hour? That's just silly.

I bet the only way you get popped is if someone files a complaint. Are you friendly with your neighbors?

DenverChief
02-02-2005, 11:23 AM

I bet the only way you get popped is if someone files a complaint. Are you friendly with your neighbors?

or an animal control/ city ordinance officer drives by....

BIG_DADDY
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Good point, what a stupid law. I keep mine inside the great majority of the time. He tried getting a raccoon this morining at 6AM and got his mouth up over the top of a 6 foot fence going after it. What that means to me is he can make it over. I knew they could jump but he's 60 pounds and I didn't teach him to jump. Guess I gotta keep an eye on him now. Is your dog an outdoor dog?

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I do have some stupid nosey old people living next door. We get along OK but, they aren't exactly people I like to stop and chat with.

Someone called the animal control on us a couple years ago. The animal control officer went out back and took a look at my dog. Right off the bat, she said "oh no, this dog is just fine". They were apparently looking for abuse or neglect or something. Heh, my dog is taken care of just fine.

I think these neighbors are the ones who called the animal control. They almost slipped up and outright said as much. Apparently, these people are like Phil's neighbor lady. :shake:

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Good point, what a stupid law. I keep mine inside the great majority of the time. He tried getting a raccoon this morining at 6AM and got his mouth up over the top of a 6 foot fence going after it. What that means to me is he can make it over. I knew they could jump but he's 60 pounds and I didn't teach him to jump. Guess I gotta keep an eye on him now. Is your dog an outdoor dog?

Yes, she is an outdoor dog. We got her from the pound when she was a pup. Maybe 3-4 months old. I tried and tried to potty train her to no avail. Did the newspapers, rub her nose in it, smacked her butt, etc. Nothing worked. I think she might have been abused before we got her because she has always been very submissive. We bring her in at night during the winter and keep her in the basement. But she still craps on the floor down there. At least it's only concrete.

ENDelt260
02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
or an animal control/ city ordinance officer drives by....
And parks in front of your house for an hour?

KCFalcon59
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
This is just typical of Topeka. Always meddling in shit that doesn't need fixing. Just like the commission trying to take away portable signs away from businesses.

BIG_DADDY
02-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, she is an outdoor dog. We got her from the pound when she was a pup. Maybe 3-4 months old. I tried and tried to potty train her to no avail. Did the newspapers, rub her nose in it, smacked her butt, etc. Nothing worked. I think she might have been abused before we got her because she has always been very submissive. We bring her in at night during the winter and keep her in the basement. But she still craps on the floor down there. At least it's only concrete.

Bummer, that's why I always get a young pup. It may sound cold but the way I look at it is I am going to be spending 10 years or so with this animal and I want to do what I want it to do. Good luck.

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 12:19 PM
This city is really messed up. It reminds me of Springfield, on the Simpsons. Noone knows who is in charge, what they are doing, and why they are doing it. Pure chaos.

Predarat
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Thats a crappy rule, if its not on a chain and gets out or something and then butes someone you get sued. The city needs to mind their own business.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 12:22 PM
So can you just let them run after an hour?

Count Zarth
02-02-2005, 12:30 PM
If your dog runs away he doesn't love you, anyway.

MOhillbilly
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
What that means to me is he can make it over. I knew they could jump but he's 60 pounds and I didn't teach him to jump. Guess I gotta keep an eye on him now.

i had one that could jump a six foot kennel flat footed and weighted down.
A chain actualy gives more sq ft than a standard kennel run if set up properly.
probably what has happened is animal control has found to many dogs chained up and left by irresponcible owners to starve.
And the HSUS fags probably got onto city officials.

Kclee
02-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Ha, didn't Phil have his dog on a leash on a hot day and some lady came and gave him a hard time for leaving it outside for so long? It's his fault!
And then someone posted on here as his dog calling Phil out. ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=32726

Phil's dog

Lzen
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Ha, didn't Phil have his dog on a leash on a hot day and some lady came and gave him a hard time for leaving it outside for so long? It's his fault!
And then someone posted on here as his dog calling Phil out. ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=32726

Phil's dog

ROFL

Kclee
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's Phil's first rant about it. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=32717

mikey23545
02-02-2005, 12:59 PM
All I can say is this: If there weren't so many stupid people in the world, we wouldn't need so many stupid laws...

Lzen
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
All I can say is this: If there weren't so many stupid people in the world, we wouldn't need so many stupid laws...

That is true. But at the same time, stupid laws won't stop stupid people from being stupid. Or from doing stupid things. The only thing stupid laws do is make the regular people suffer. :cuss:

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
That is true. But at the same time, stupid laws won't stop stupid people from being stupid. Or from doing stupid things. The only thing stupid laws do is make the regular people suffer. :cuss:
Pretty much my reasoning against banning cell phones while driving.

Lzen
02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Here's Phil's first rant about it. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=32717

Wow, that was a fun thread. How did you dig up that one? Justin and Denise, :rolleyes: always on the wrong side of an argument.

Pretty much my reasoning against banning cell phones while driving.

Yeah. I used to think it was a good idea to require hands free. But after a lot of debate on here, I don't think that's the solution.

Kclee
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Wow, that was a fun thread. How did you dig up that one? Justin and Denise, :rolleyes: always on the wrong side of an argument.

Sort the threads by Thread Starter, and within the last year. About 900 pages come up. Go to Last Page and it takes you to the end. Then switch from within last year to The Beginning. (you stay 900 pages in when you switch) Phobia's posts come up when you switch to/from ascending order. Took just a minute. Just a little trick. Mess with it a few times and you can find your way around pretty quick.

Count Zarth
02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Sort the threads by Thread Starter, and within the last year. About 900 pages come up. Go to Last Page and it takes you to the end. Then switch from within last year to The Beginning. (you stay 900 pages in when you switch) Phobia's posts come up when you switch to/from ascending order. Took just a minute. Just a little trick. Mess with it a few times and you can find your way around pretty quick.

That's what I've been doing....I found every single thread I posted.

Lzen
02-02-2005, 02:03 PM

So you're saying Phobia started 900 pages worth of threads in the past year? :eek: