PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Vikes, Chiefs, Colts & Surtain

Wile_E_Coyote
02-02-2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/02/02/a1c_surtain_0202.html

Wednesday, February 02, 2005
JACKSONVILLE In the first step of what's poised to be an off-season overhaul, the Dolphins granted the agent for Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain permission to seek a trade.

Among the teams that an industry source said could be interested in Surtain are Buffalo, Minnesota, Kansas City and Indianapolis.

Surtain, 28, is scheduled to count $8.38 million against the salary cap next season, the final year of his contract, and there has been no progress in extension discussions.

Although he has made the Pro Bowl the past three seasons, the Dolphins have discussed internally if Surtain has the ideal size (5-feet-11, 192 pounds) or commitment to physical maintenance to mesh with first-year coach Nick Saban.

Dolphins General Manager Rick Spielman, who told Surtain's agent, Gary Uberstine, on Monday that he would grant their request to seek another address, declined comment Tuesday. The Dolphins must move out some players with high salary-cap figures because they are scheduled to be well over the projected limit.

With 29 interceptions in the first seven seasons of his career, Surtain, a second-round draft pick in 1998, ranks behind only Jake Scott (35) and Dick Anderson (34) on the Dolphins' all-time list.

But the Dolphins could have long-range concerns about Surtain's left knee, operated on in 2001 and 2003.

"Those are sore subjects with him," Uberstine said. "He puts himself in harm's way and they use that to justify not extending him? That's just another reason it might be good to just move on."

The Dolphins cannot trade Surtain until at least March, when the league lifts a trading moratorium. Uberstine said that Surtain's pay should be "part of the top" echelon of cornerbacks.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey signed a seven-year, $63 million contract with an $18 million signing bonus in March. Since the 2000 season, only Green Bay's Darren Sharper and San Francisco's Tony Parrish have more than Surtain's 25 interceptions.

"(Surtain's) missed four games in seven years," Uberstine said. "So if he's injured it's obviously not affecting his play as a shutdown corner and Pro Bowler."

Uberstine said the sides were "dramatically apart" in negotiations and that "it was not about a signing bonus. It was about security."

With four-time Pro Bowler Sam Madison, 30, as well as veteran Reggie Howard and 2004 draft choice Will Poole, the Dolphins are stocked at cornerback.

Uberstine will be permitted to gauge the market, but Miami must agree to the terms of the deal, an arrangement similar to when Spielman shipped Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to the Bears before last season.

"We're trying to be proactive and create a win-win situation," Uberstine said. "It's fun to have a 28-year-old cornerback with no off-field issues and try to put him in a great situation."

Rausch
02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Good. It'd be a nice wat to start the infusion...

Nightfyre
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Mmmm 8.38 is quite a hit.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-02-2005, 11:44 AM
visting a phin board, I found something I have run across alot when the talk turns to trading for a Chiefs' running back..Priest, Blaylock or LJ. "Behind that line any back could put up numbers. A Chiefs running back is like a Bronco's running back, it's all about their line"

Rausch
02-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Mmmm 8.38 is quite a hit.

Who cares?

THis is our last legit year to make a run before the team starts falling apart. It's this year or bust.

I don't care if he busts the cap after a superbowl win. I don't care if we suck pink-sock after a superbowl win.

I don't care about 2 or 3 years from now. I care about this year. I want to win THIS year, damn the consequences...

Hoover
02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Could be intrested = Anyone whos D needs a CB

Nightfyre
02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Who cares?

THis is our last legit year to make a run before the team starts falling apart. It's this year or bust.

I don't care if he busts the cap after a superbowl win. I don't care if we suck pink-sock after a superbowl win.

I don't care about 2 or 3 years from now. I care about this year. I want to win THIS year, damn the consequences...
We have other needs. You could add two-three good players for that one hit.

Rausch
02-02-2005, 11:51 AM

We don't need average players.

We've got a defense full of average and poor players.

Fujita, Hicks, Warfield, Sims, and whoever starts at MLB are all average. After that the talent is poor.

We NEED a stud player on this defense. A leader, ON the field, not after the game in the lockerroom like Hicks...

Every good defense has 1 or 2 STUD players.

We have none...

The Bad Guy
02-02-2005, 11:52 AM

Yeah, we can add Greg Wesley, John Browning, Jerome Woods and Eric Hicks.

What value!

When you have a chance to get a stud player - you do it.

We are in this defensive position because of the same exact mindset - fill in the blanks with 2-3 average players.

And if we did trade for Surtan, I'm sure it would include a new contract.

ck_IN
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
<i>THis is our last legit year to make a run before the team starts falling apart. It's this year or bust.</i>

you honestly think we're a legit contender? I'm not argueing, I'm asking the question.

Personally I don't think we're near a legit contender. I don't think one CB will make a night and day difference on our D. Our LB's are a joke. We only have one legit pass rusher in Allan. I think our Oline is starting to show its age. I also think our WR's need improvement. Kennison has lost a step and Morton is not the answer. Smith can step in for one but I don't see a replacement for the other.

Due to DV's magical mystery drafts this team is pretty bare after the first level and there's some major holes on that level too.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 11:57 AM
<i>THis is our last legit year to make a run before the team starts falling apart. It's this year or bust.</i>

you honestly think we're a legit contender? I'm not argueing, I'm asking the question.

Personally I don't think we're near a legit contender. I don't think one CB will make a night and day difference on our D. Our LB's are a joke. We only have one legit pass rusher in Allan. I think our Oline is starting to show its age. I also think our WR's need improvement. Kennison has lost a step and Morton is not the answer. Smith can step in for one but I don't see a replacement for the other.

Due to DV's magical mystery drafts this team is pretty bare after the first level and there's some major holes on that level too.
I thinkw e are a contender if our D can get enough turnovers or improve to a top 20 D

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 12:00 PM

That's the key. Nobody is going to trade for him for one year at 8+ million. The team gave his agent permission to seek the trade which means if you can work out a deal with a team then they can come to us with an offer.

Do you give a 2nd round pick for him? All of our 4's and 5's??

Rausch
02-02-2005, 12:06 PM

The Colts (a team we beat) were legit contenders this year with a $#it defense. Now, we all know a $#it defense won't allow you to win a superbowl, but it does allow you to compete of your offense picks up the slack.

Until the playoffs.

We MUST improve the talent at LB and CB to be contenders next year. If Bartee or McCleon are starting we're ****ed.

If Monty is our starting MLB, we're ****ed.

Keep in mind that we were 12th in the league in rushing defense (not spectacular, but much improved) and top 5 in rushing the passer.

Our problem was coverage. Even when we blitzed and got to the passer he could just lob the ball downfield on Dexy/Bartee and it was an easy completion.

Our offense has no real weakness. We could definitely use improvement at RT or WR, but that's it. And they're still good enough to get it done.

We also have an easy schedule next year. Not cake walk, but easier. You also should remember that THIS year we we lost 7 games by 7 pts or less...

ck_IN
02-02-2005, 12:11 PM
The Colts defense is bi-polar. They had the NFL leader in sacks and another guy with 10. Teams moved at will on them between the 20's but I think they were top 10 in points allowed.

And I'd take the Colts O over ours any day. Manning, James, Harrison, Stokely and Wayne as a unit is a no brainer over Green, Holmes, Kennison, Hall, and Morton.

Brock
02-02-2005, 12:14 PM
And I'd take the Colts O over ours any day. Manning, James, Harrison, Stokely and Wayne as a unit is a no brainer over Green, Holmes, Kennison, Hall, and Morton.

as long as they're playing under a roof, I guess.

tk13
02-02-2005, 12:52 PM

You left out the offensive lines, which is the deal breaker.... at least for me. The Colts offensive line is good, but our offensive line can dominate people.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
You left out the offensive lines, which is the deal breaker.... at least for me. The Colts offensive line is good, but our offensive line can dominate people.

Exactly. I'd take our RB, TE and OL any day over any other in the league (possible exception being LT at RB).

BOTH KC and Indy have 'pinball' offenses... both can wrack up the yards and points like no one else. The main advantage Indy has over KC is receiver: they have THREE very good receivers, KC has one... and he's a TE.

tomahawk kid
02-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, we can add Greg Wesley, John Browning, Jerome Woods and Eric Hicks.

What value!

When you have a chance to get a stud player - you do it.

We are in this defensive position because of the same exact mindset - fill in the blanks with 2-3 average players.

Exactly.

You make something like this happen.

F#ck the profile, f#ck the salary cap etc.

You make this work as a GM. Its what you get paid for.

vckcchiefs04
02-02-2005, 02:08 PM
JUST ON 810 ABOUT 5 MINUTES AGO..... PRIEST SAID LAW AND BELL ARE 100% COMING IN FOR A VISIT AND HE WILL DO HIS BEST TO GET THEM TO SIGN HERE!!! Come on Priest!! Get R Done!!!

Count Zarth
02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
JUST ON 810 ABOUT 5 MINUTES AGO..... PRIEST SAID LAW AND BELL ARE 100% COMING IN FOR A VISIT AND HE WILL DO HIS BEST TO GET THEM TO SIGN HERE!!! Come on Priest!! Get R Done!!!

Wow. Kendrell Bell in Red and Gold. That would be amazing.

vckcchiefs04
02-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Let's all have a collective crossing of the fingers!!! :grovel:

chiefz
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
I remember Barber saying that about Hugh Douglas, thank god that didn't happen.

Kclee
02-02-2005, 02:23 PM
I remember Barber saying that about Hugh Douglas, thank god that didn't happen.

Yeah, because then we would have never signed Holliday. A near miss there.

tomahawk kid
02-02-2005, 02:40 PM

I just peed a little.

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 02:41 PM

I hate to say it, but out of all the big name free agents being bandied about the two I'm least interested in are Law and Bell. If you are going to spend a lot of money, spend it on someone healthy.

crossbow
02-02-2005, 02:47 PM
That 8 million is rediculous but I am sure a more reasonable deal can be worked out. If we get a stud like him, besides improving the defense, maybe guys like Battle could learn from him.

vckcchiefs04
02-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I hate to say it, but out of all the big name free agents being bandied about the two I'm least interested in are Law and Bell. If you are going to spend a lot of money, spend it on someone healthy.
I agree..... but each of these guys with only one leg and one arm each would be a improvment to our defense. Sorry to say. :(