View Full Version : KU students' rude chant upsets Self

tk13
02-03-2005, 02:37 AM
More fallout from Monday night... :)

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10801554.htm

KU students' rude chant upsets Self

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE — Bill Self said Wednesday that he was disappointed in KU's
student section for its behavior in Monday's victory over Missouri.

Before and during the game, thousands of students in the north bleachers of Allen Fieldhouse bellowed a profanity-laced chant. “I would've probably done something,” Self said. “I don't know about racing over there and calling attention to myself. But I would've done something to get the word to the students to cut it out.

“I'll plead to the students now. Any type of profanity should not be chanted. Our students are very clever. They should come up with something creative and clever.”

Self said he also doesn't like it when fans chant “Bull***!” after a questionable call by the officials.

“Nobody enjoys a great home court (atmosphere) more than me, and no one appreciates students being involved in the game more than me,” Self said. “But I do think that if you get into vulgarity, it takes away from how special this place is.”

Kansas' players said their opponent Monday may have caused the students to act differently.

“You can't hold 17,000 to a standard like that,” senior guard Michael Lee said. “Some people think it's just part of the game. It can be perceived as classless, but when it's Missouri and Kansas, I guess that brings out the best and worst of people. It doesn't bother me, though, because (Missouri's) fans are the worst fans I've ever witnessed.”

Guard Keith Langford agreed:

“If anyone takes it personally … it's just a chant. Everyone probably forgot about it as soon as they said it.”

— Jason King/The Star

Pants
02-03-2005, 04:28 AM
Dude, it's Mizzou. Look what the retards in Columbia do. There is no etiquette when Tigers show up in Lawrence.

David.
02-03-2005, 05:15 AM
oh yeah. well I stayed up all night and didn't write my paper.

I'm dropping the class in the mornign.

top that!

Skip Towne
02-03-2005, 05:46 AM
:shrug: It's Missouri :shrug:

patteeu
02-03-2005, 08:04 AM
What were those classless, troglodytes at the Fieldhouse chanting about?

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 08:21 AM
Haha. We do the same thing. Its part of the game.

ROYC75
02-03-2005, 08:32 AM

I Don't know, but it was MU, it couldn't have been anything clean ! :D

chiefz
02-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Self is just trying to appear to care for the media, he doesn't really give a shit. He did the same thing in Illinois.

cmh6476
02-03-2005, 08:38 AM
yeah, what he asked!

|Zach|
02-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Self is just trying to appear to care for the media, he doesn't really give a shit. He did the same thing in Illinois.
How would his comments help his standing with the media?? :shrug:

CosmicPal
02-03-2005, 08:48 AM

They all wear the same blue T-Shirt with the words, Muck Fizzou on it.

The chanted the correct way of spelling it...in case you need help- you change the M and the F of both words (dumbazz) :p

Lzen
02-03-2005, 10:12 AM

And how do you know this? Answer: You don't know. I'll take Self for his word.

Some more on this:

Published Thursday, February 3, 2005

Jayhawk notebook

Self unhappy with vulgar chants

Some vulgar chants the Kansas student section directed at Missouri players before, and during, the Jayhawks' 73-61 victory is something coach Bill Self wants stopped.

"That's not how we want to represent at this university. That's not what we're all about," Self said. "That is totally uncalled for. I think the B.S. chant is totally uncalled for."

Self didn't volunteer his remarks, but instead offered his take when asked Wednesday by reporters after his weekly press conference.

He said he did not hear the chants during the game.

"If I had, I think I'd have done something," he said. "I don't know if I'd have raced over there and called attention to yourself, but I would have done something to get the word to students to cut it out. We have administrators that will do that."

Kansas has not delivered a public message to student ticket-holders to refrain from profanity.

"I'll plead to the students now," Self said following his Wednesday press conference. "Nobody enjoys a great homecourt more than me, nobody enjoys students being involved in the game, nobody respects the fact they camp out and wait their time ... nobody, more than I do. That's what makes this place special. But I do think if you get into vulgarity it takes away how special the place is. ... There's enough creative things we can do, and I know our students are very clever."

Said KU athletic director Lew Perkins, "I would hope all our students act in a professional way and respect the opponent. But can we control everything? No."

KU players didn't seem too appalled by any particular chants from their students, many of whom wore 'M___ Fizzou' shirts.

"I've been called a lot worse things in Columbia," said senior guard Keith Langford.

Giles optimistic

Freshman center C.J. Giles is optimistic his recovery from a deep bruise to his right foot will be far enough along he can play at Nebraska.

"I'm going to play Saturday, that's my opinion," Giles said.

Giles was limited to certain drills Wednesday, but at least practiced for the first time in about two weeks. He suffered the injury at Kentucky on Jan. 9. He played in three games after that, but missed the past four games while wearing a protective boot on his foot.

"It helped a lot. The pain has gone away, the swelling's done. Everything feels a lot better," Giles said. "I'm not all the way there yet, but I think by Saturday I will be."

The injury to Giles, who started five games, allowed another freshman center, Sasha Kaun, see more time. Kaun has averaged 14 minutes in the last six games.

"Sasha has been playing great," Giles said. "Hopefully he keeps it up the rest of the way. Now I just want to put my two cents worth in."

Another freshman, 6-7 wing Alex Galindo, remains doubtful for the NU game.

Splint coming off

Kansas' game Saturday at Nebraska is expected to be the first Wayne Simien will play without the splint he's used to protect his left thumb since returning from his surgery for a torn ligament.

"When he wore the big (cast), it had to affect his free throw shooting, shooting at 65 percent, and he's 85 percent (on the season)," Self said. "The one he's wearing now is much smaller. It's time for that one to come off and I'm not sure if he'll even practice with that one, just wear tape. When he's confident, he'll take the tape off."

Simien is averaging 18.8 points and 8.8 games in the seven games since his return. He is shooting .538 (49 of 91) from the field and .660 (31 of 47) from the free throw line. For the season, the senior forward is averaging 18.0 points and 10.4 rebounds, while shooting .543 from the field and .750 from the foul line.

Starters carry KU

Although Kansas entered Monday's game against Missouri averaging 17.5 bench points, and had collectively won out in sub scoring, 298-199.

But the KU starters got it done against Mizzou, scoring all but two of the Jayhawks' points in a 73-61 victory. Four KU starters -- forward Wayne Simien, and guards Keith Langford, Aaron Miles and J.R. Giddens -- each logged at least 33 minutes.

"It has to be that way sometimes," Langford said. "The starting five are the starting five for a reason. We've had lots of games where the bench has come in and really gave us a spark, but the starters have their role."

Said Self: "The Missouri game was a game where our bench players plugged holes, filled in and didn't have many scoring opportunities. I don't think our bench played poorly, I just think they didn't have as many opportunities against Missouri."

Big 12 sold out

The limited allotment of Big 12 Tournament tickets put on sale Tuesday were all sold by Wednesday. The tournament is scheduled March 10-13 in Kansas City's Kemper Arena.

Since the Big Eight began a postseason tournament in 1977, Kemper has been host to a either the Big Eight or Big 12 tournaments each season except 2003 and '04. It was held those years in Dallas.

Lzen
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
“Some people think it's just part of the game. It can be perceived as classless, but when it's Missouri and Kansas, I guess that brings out the best and worst of people. It doesn't bother me, though, because (Missouri's) fans are the worst fans I've ever witnessed.”

:LOL:

redhed
02-03-2005, 11:53 AM
KU fan: B-but, it's MU!!

You guys are better'n'dat. Leave that carp fer the Antlers.

Archie F. Swin
02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree that the BS chant is totally classless too. You can make the visiting team or officials uncomfortable with out cussing collectively.

Spicy McHaggis
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought the chant of "Muck Fizzou" spelled correctly wasn't too classy but I did get a laugh out of the "Quinn You're Fired!!!" chant. It was just one section that always started the muck fizzou chant.

chiefz
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
How would his comments help his standing with the media?? :shrug:

I should have said in front of the media.

David.
02-03-2005, 02:59 PM
who gives an eff. It's a rivalry, you're supposed to do that.

Jenson71
02-03-2005, 03:03 PM
We had to get rid of the "Bullshit" chant this year, too. So I just don't go to the games anymore.

Pants
02-03-2005, 03:04 PM
KU fan: B-but, it's MU!!

You guys are better'n'dat. Leave that carp fer the Antlers.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason. When schools hate each other, that's what happens. Class plays no role when MU shows up at our house.

Brock
02-03-2005, 03:09 PM
It's not an excuse, it's a reason. When schools hate each other, that's what happens. Class plays no role when MU shows up at our house.

even less so at when the hawks play at Columbia.

Pants
02-03-2005, 04:01 PM
even less so at when the hawks play at Columbia.

F'sho.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
and that fact that Self only used a zone defense against Mizzery for about 5 minutes "upsets Me"

so Self can just eat a dick

Duck Dog
02-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Whatever happened to the 'ol; "nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed" chant?

Pants
02-03-2005, 05:05 PM
and that fact that Self only used a zone defense against Mizzery for about 5 minutes "upsets Me"

so Self can just eat a dick

ROFL

Spott
02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
“You can't hold 17,000 to a standard like that,” senior guard Michael Lee said. “Some people think it's just part of the game. It can be perceived as classless, but when it's Missouri and Kansas, I guess that brings out the best and worst of people. It doesn't bother me, though, because (Missouri's) fans are the worst fans I've ever witnessed.”

So basically he's saying that the KU fans were bad, but at least they're not as bad as MU fans. That sure sounds a lot like "at least we're better than MU".

IIRC, that is is also the same thing that KU fans were saying that they never say about MU on the Villanova game thread.

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM
So basically he's saying that the KU fans were bad, but at least they're not as bad as MU fans. That sure sounds a lot like "at least we're better than MU".

IIRC, that is is also the same thing that KU fans were saying that they never say about MU on the Villanova game thread.
Well, its pretty much true.

Mr. Laz
02-03-2005, 08:27 PM

you mean the same KU THREAD that MU fans hope on to talk smack.

like stepping out onto a highway and then complaining cause you get hit by a truck.

doofus :shake:

Spott
02-03-2005, 08:34 PM
you mean the same KU THREAD that MU fans hope on to talk smack.

like stepping out onto a highway and then complaining cause you get hit by a truck.

doofus :shake:

Actually if you read the entire thread, it is royjr that starts insulting MU before any MU fans started talking smack towards KU.

And what exactly does hope on to talk smack mean? Did you mean to say "hope to talk smack on" or "hop on to talk smack"?

P.S. I know what you meant, but I just like pointing out grammatical errors when someone calls me a doofus.

Pants
02-03-2005, 08:44 PM

As far as I remeber we were talking about teams back then. This thread is about fans. What's your point? And no, KU fans are not bad, they are only bad when murons show up.

Lzen
02-04-2005, 11:09 AM
Actually if you read the entire thread, it is royjr that starts insulting MU before any MU fans started talking smack towards KU.

Actually, David stopped in to start the trash talking. It was subtle but enough to get roy jr started. No biggie. We KU fans expected it outta you guys. I mean, what else have you got to cheer about? :p

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Actually if you read the entire thread, it is royjr that starts insulting MU before any MU fans started talking smack towards KU
and if you had just stayed off the KU thread in the first place???

*whistle,whistle* waiting to see if the MUron will actually figure out the point. :p

Spott
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
and if you had just stayed off the KU thread in the first place???

*whistle,whistle* waiting to see if the MUron will actually figure out the point. :p

Well, if you would have actually read the thread you would see that I wasn't talking smack with anyone on that thread.