PDA

View Full Version : NFT: And then there was one...

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Amid the news that SBC has reached an agreement to buy AT&T for $16B, the Wall Street Journal announced this morning that Qwest has been talking to MCI for months about a possible merger.

Only Sprint would be left of the stand-alone IXC's...

The Pedestrian
02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
It took Bell about 80 years, but they finally figured out how to get over that whole "no monopoly" crap...WAHHOO!! Let's all jump on the diopoly band wagon!

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
And give it another year, and Trump will own them all. :rolleyes:

stevieray
02-03-2005, 08:05 PM
and most of the HQ's for these companies are where?

:shake:

eventually so few people will own everything, and our personal choices will diminish even more.

Interesting times ahead.

Spott
02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
AT&T's head quarters is in NJ.

Inspector
02-03-2005, 08:15 PM
It's still not a totally done deal - I don't think. Suppossed to be final by June of 06.

We just get to sit back and wonder whats going to happen next.

Glad I have plans for when the ride is over. 25 years so far. Be nice to get 5 more, but who knows???

Ahh, the old Bell system. Back where I started.

morphius
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
And give it another year, and Trump will own them all. :rolleyes:
No, because he would have trouble figuring out who to go bankrupt on to screw over...

morphius
02-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Let me also add that local and LD makes very little money any more, and that VoIP could put a real hurting on it. Toss in the fact that their are devices coming down the pipe that will allow for cell phones to integrate with home phones and for them to work with VoIP in your home when you get in range of it. Pretty much, there may just be two companies striving for business's phones in a few years.

Inspector
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Yep, AT&T basically shutdown their consumer market sales organization last fall.

Cost me brother his job after 17 years.

My time is coming too, just don't know when.

BIG_DADDY
02-03-2005, 10:39 PM
The telecommunications industry was set for a bunch of mergers. If you invested in the last one's standing a couple years ago you are going to clean up big time.

The Pedestrian
02-04-2005, 08:27 AM

eventually so few people will own everything, and our personal choices will diminish even more.

Interesting times ahead.

We were a lot better off as a completely capitalist society. The monopolies helped us rise to the status of superpower...it was the trustbusting that hurt the economy.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM

Interesting times ahead.

Atlanta, New Jersey, Washington DC (Virginia), Kansas City...what's your point?

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 09:13 AM
It's still not a totally done deal - I don't think. Suppossed to be final by June of 06.

We just get to sit back and wonder whats going to happen next.

Glad I have plans for when the ride is over. 25 years so far. Be nice to get 5 more, but who knows???

Ahh, the old Bell system. Back where I started.

Yeah, the AT&T/SBC deal is going to get some SEC scrutiny, that's for sure...looks to much like ole Ma Bell...

Our merger, on the other hand, won't likely take that long because of the financial situation we're in...

The news now is that Qwest and MCI could close a deal as soon as MONDAY. Of course, I think MCI leaked that to spur activity from Verizon and/or BellSouth...

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Yep, AT&T basically shutdown their consumer market sales organization last fall.

Cost me brother his job after 17 years.

My time is coming too, just don't know when.

We've laid off close to 10k people, largely in our call centers. With RBOCs doing long distance and the DNC list, the bottom drop out of consumer LD. We can provide local via UNE-L and UNE-P, but the cost of leasing lines from the RBOCs pretty much nullifies any possible profit margin. FIFTY PERCENT of our operating cost for last year went to pay the RBOCs for access lines.

Honestly, I'm pretty excited to see it play out. Like Big-Daddy said, most of us knew this was coming. I'm gonna make a little money if we get sold. And if I lose my job, I'll find another one.