PDA

View Full Version : "Old" Gunther or the NEW Gunther ???

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Some of our threads yesterday (the Safety thread,) made me wonder :hmmm:

Do I want the Gunther of "old" who plays aggressive, in-your-face, man-to-man Defense, OR do I want a NEW Gunther who accepts the limitations handed him (via players we are stuck with, limitations of the salary cap, and new PI rules....and an overall pussification of the NFL)?

Deep down I want the old Gunther; but given the window of opportunity we have with our Offense, and the need to "fix" the Defense now, I'm wonderin' if maybe goin' to more of a Zone, read-and-react, or more of a "Zone Blitz," Defense (not GR's, mind you; I'd expect Gun's D to be aggressive even in zone) is something the Chiefs should do. Maybe even a 3-4, if we can get the right OLB and DEs coming up in FA and the draft.

If getting better safeties is less expensive, and easier, because of the abundance of them in this year's draft and the available FA....would the team be best served by Gunther rethinking/reexamining his approach to playing "D?"

I know you need to change with the times, but I guess I'm old school because I sure miss the "old" Gunther--and maybe the "old" NFL. Pass interference and letting WRs catch the ball is one thing; neutering and pussifying the game is another in my view... :banghead:

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 10:36 AM
We don't have the horses for a zone defense. Our safeties can't play cover 2 and our front 7 can't control the running game or get adequate pressure...

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2005, 10:41 AM
We don't have the horses for a zone defense. Our safeties can't play cover 2 and our front 7 can't control the running game or get adequate pressure...

Personally, we don't have the horses to play defense, period....we are gonna have to go after some REAL horses in FA--at least three or four between FA, and impact rookies.

So the question becomes, with the supporting cast we will have....would we more quickly rebuild the Defense with zone/zone-blitz approach, or can we GET the horses we need to play defense the way Gun's teams played defense in the past?

I agree we are lacking in horses; but cap-wise, money-wise, FA-wise....I'm growing increasingly doubtful that we can get the horses we need for the "Old" Gunther. :hmmm:

Rausch
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Give him the defense to do what he thinks is best.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Give him the defense to do what he thinks is best.

Exactly. Which do you think it will be though....I'm tryin' to get a feel for which direction he's gonna go....cause, I do think he'll TRY to do what you suggest.

StcChief
02-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Let's see what DV and Carl allow Gun to do this offseason.....

Talk is cheap.

bricks
02-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Let's see what DV and Carl allow Gun to do this offseason.....

Talk is cheap.

Well, we can guarantee one thing is for certain, all our defensive coaches will remain next year( particularilly Giunta). :banghead:

go bowe
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, we can guarantee one thing is for certain, all our defensive coaches will remain next year( particularilly Giunta). :banghead::cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

King_Chief_Fan
02-03-2005, 12:02 PM
I want the old Gunther, but he is hamstrung by the likes of DV and CP.
If they would turn this thing over to him to manage, we would see the old Gunther. So far, he has been forced into the new Gunther.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2005, 12:07 PM
I want the old Gunther, but he is hamstrung by the likes of DV and CP.
If they would turn this thing over to him to manage, we would see the old Gunther. So far, he has been forced into the new Gunther.

Given those circumstances, I hope the "new" Gunther can make it work....

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I'd rather see the Old Thomas or the Old Hasty as the Old Gunther.

Without superior talent, he's a mediocre coach at best.

siberian khatru
02-03-2005, 12:22 PM

Not yet. I hope by May or June that we do.

Well, actually I really don't care what scheme we employ. I just want some horses, not these jackasses we have now.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2005, 01:14 PM
....he's a mediocre coach at best.

You think....I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt I guess. :shrug: