PDA

View Full Version : Hypothermia

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I really don’t recommend it to anyone.
It all started yesterday, see I took on a contract to plaster a house, about an hour away from the same outfit that I do 90% of my work for.
They pay on time, for the most part aren’t too pushy, but can be a real pain in the ass if you let them “run you”
I was told there would be heat in the home, etc, etc.

To make a long story short I’ll NEVER ask any of my men to do something I wouldn’t or couldn’t do first.
Anyway, with 4 men on the clock for an hour already, I said “ok, I know it’s cold, but everything else we have on the go is either still wet, or waiting for approval befor we can start the next phase, their supposed to have the electricians in by noon.
If you guy’s are willing to stay, lets go grab a coffee, and get started”.
They all agreed and we stayed.
I kept my sweat shirt and down filled vest on, even though I knew they’d get full of plaster, and started at it.

***Bear in mind it’s about –8 out side, and probably –12 in this house, but genius me thinks that if I keep pushing I’ll stay warm.

I laid the tape with 2 guy’s wiping out behind me, while the other two installed and began coating corner beads, and working on the 4 tray drop ceilings.
Now when your “wet taping” (yeah, yeah, yeah, a bazooka is defiantly a better set up, I just don’t have one, flat box’s, and corner system YES, auto taper NO.)
The poor shmuck that’s “Laying tape” or putting it on, gets mighty WET, and mighty messy, as he’s the guy who mixes the plaster, and cleans up the wet tape box, and buckets.
Not to mention your always washing your hands off from installoing the tape that’s just gone through the “shit box”
This would be me.
At least the guy’s wiping out could wear gloves. At one point my hands started getting so damn cold, I took a thermos of coffee and poured it over them so I could feel my fingers again.
My guy’s..all said,,”ahh Boss, were freezing our nutz off, but as long as your willing to stay we will too.”
I just kept laying tape, hoping we’d soon be done.

In 3 hours the electricians arrived, toting a “salamander” which they promptly lit up to take the “chill” as they called it off the house.

After 6 hours of this I sat in the back of the van shivering like all get out. But soon started warming up whilst we all headed for home and fell asleep in route.

I have no memory of getting on the boat, or JoAnn picking me up when I got to the other side, I have no memory of passing out in her car, nor being taken to the hospital, I have no memory of telling the doc “I’m fu@king freezing that’s how I am” at 2 am when I started regaining some kind of semi consciousness, nor do I know when they took blood samples.
All in all it was about 10 am today or so when I started to make sense out of anything. And noon when they finally let me go home.
My body temp was 95.4 when they got me into emergency.
Man what an experience.
I really didn’t like it at all.

PS:
As a result of this I made some mighty heated phone calls to the main contractor I do 90% of my business with and flat out told him, every house I start has heat, or we don’t start until it does, end of story FULL stop

FloridaChief
02-03-2005, 07:27 PM
You surely lead a charmed life. Can I trade places with you?

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:30 PM
You surely lead a charmed life. Can I trade places with you?

Dude i'm F'en luck to be sitting here typing.
But yeah, I'll trade places with ya. (providing ya live on the Gulf side of the Bikini ROFL )

Pants
02-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Dude i'm F'en luck to be sitting here typing.
But yeah, I'll trade places with ya. (providing ya live on the Gulf side of the Bikini ROFL )

Yeah, man you should feel lucky. Hypothermia is deadly. I'm happy you lived, and you could probably sue your contractor or something, because that's just not right at all, you could have died.

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah, man you should feel lucky. Hypothermia is deadly. I'm happy you lived, and you could probably sue your contractor or something, because that's just not right at all, you could have died.

Ya can't sue over your own stupidity; I should have just packed the guy's up and left.
BUT
We've had 3 really short weeks due to all the snow storms and blizzards that belted NL last month, the guy's pay cheques were hurting from lost hours, and I was trying to help my men out.
Damn near killed me mind you, but I guess it's true, no good deed goes un-punished :banghead:

Rain Man
02-03-2005, 07:38 PM
This wouldn't have happened if you had a bigger waist.

Glad you're more or less okay. At any point, did you see a white light with Buck Buchanan beckoning, or perhaps a dark tunnel with Lyle Alzado calling you?

Rain Man
02-03-2005, 07:39 PM
PS:
As a result of this I made some mighty heated phone calls to the main contractor I do 90% of my business with and flat out told him, every house I start has heat, or we don’t start until it does, end of story FULL stop

Heh-heh.

Phobia
02-03-2005, 07:43 PM
I know your handle originates from when you used to drive trucks for a living....

I think you need a new handle now that you have a new profession, Dummy-Head.

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:43 PM
This wouldn't have happened if you had a bigger waist.

Glad you're more or less okay. At any point, did you see a white light with Buck Buchanan beckoning, or perhaps a dark tunnel with Lyle Alzado calling you?

Nope none of that, but man did I have one mother of a headache when I came to.
About the only thing I can recall is that when I was asked questions, I couldn't think of what to say, it was like I knew the words were in my head, but I couldn't make them come out. And I couldn’t focus or concentrate on anything but how sleepy I felt
Kinda wish I could have seen Alyzado, I might have gotten an autograph :thumb:

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
I know your handle originates from when you used to drive trucks for a living....

I think you need a new handle now that you have a new profession, Dummy-Head.

I love you too azzhole :thumb:

PastorMikH
02-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Glas to hear your OK OH.

It's too bad you don't have one of those salamander things to warm things up. Shoot, I'll bet if you're strapped for cash, you could have thrown in a tape from the last SB the Raiders were in. I'll bet watching Gannon setting all those records would have heated you up a bit.

kcfanintitanhell
02-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Have you ever considered joining the the Cayman Islands contractors local 101?
BTW-Glad you're OK

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Glas to hear your OK OH.

It's too bad you don't have one of those salamander things to warm things up. Shoot, I'll bet if you're strapped for cash, you could have thrown in a tape from the last SB the Raiders were in. I'll bet watching Gannon setting all those records would have heated you up a bit.

I was thinking about a few years back when one fo teh games we actually won ended up knocking the Chiefs out of the playoff race,,,that sure would have kept me all warm and cozy ROFL

4th and Long
02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Glad you're OK bro. :)

I'm torn on whether to rep you for showing everyone that real men work in all kinds of weather conditions :thumb:, or to neg rep you for being a fuggin retard and working in those same crappy weather conditions. :p

KCWolfman
02-03-2005, 08:05 PM
You're in Canada, right?

Hell, I just would have stolen a Quebeckian and set them on fire for warmth. They have enough French blood in them that they won't fight back.

PastorMikH
02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
You're in Canada, right?

I just would have stolen a Quebeckian and set them on fire for warmth. They have enough French blood in them that they won't fight back.

That's a silly idea. Eveyone knows that with the way the French run, he'd just catch the entire subdivision on fire as he tried to escape.

:)

4th and Long
02-03-2005, 08:08 PM
That's a silly idea. Eveyone knows that with the way the French run, he'd just catch the entire subdivision on fire as he tried to escape.

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!! ROFL

KCWolfman
02-03-2005, 08:18 PM

That's a bad thing? It guarantees that OH will have an entire subdivision of work for the Spring.

Iowanian
02-03-2005, 08:37 PM
You don't hear about those Guys caulking the cracks of Igloos in Eskimoville whining about being too cold, eh hoser.....

KCWolfman
02-03-2005, 08:41 PM
You don't hear about those Guys caulking the cracks of Igloos in Eskimoville whining about being too cold, eh hoser.....
Guy sticking their what in a cracked igloo?

Skip Towne
02-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey, OH, you needin' any help?

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Guy sticking their what in a cracked igloo?

If we had to explane you wouldn't understand :p

Over-Head
02-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey, OH, you needin' any help?

Always looking for a good plaster'r or painter.
Mind you, wanting to live at the end of thearth where we get 9 months of snow and 3 months of bad skiiing are part of the deal :thumb:

Kclee
02-03-2005, 10:44 PM
If we had to explane you wouldn't understand :p

On a related note of sticking things places, since you were passed out , the norm is to get an anal temp to get your true core temp. Just thought you should know. Sorry. :(

PastorMikH
02-03-2005, 11:06 PM
OH, a question came to me a little bit ago, if it is that cold where you are working, is there a danger of the mud from instead of drying on the seams? And if it freezes, would that cause it to want to crack from the epansion and contraction of freezing and thawing?

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 05:12 AM
On a related note of sticking things places, since you were passed out , the norm is to get an anal temp to get your true core temp. Just thought you should know. Sorry. :(

Dude,I had hypoTHERMIA
not hypoSPACE.
I still can't figure out why people think that aliens travel millions of light years to jam a prob up yer azz? :shake:

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 05:21 AM
OH, a question came to me a little bit ago, if it is that cold where you are working, is there a danger of the mud from instead of drying on the seams? And if it freezes, would that cause it to want to crack from the epansion and contraction of freezing and thawing?

Very valid question Mike.
Yes and at the same time no.
If you ad a bit of calcium chloride or methyl hydrate to the water you mix with it will prevent it from freezing long enough to adhere to the wallboard.
Also you wouldn't cover the tape in this kind of temp, just "tape out a house". Put the heat to it, and then start the finishing steps.
I very seldom tape in that kind of cold,(read that to be almost never) but again, the guy's were willing to stay, the home owner was almost in tears because their house was 3 weeks behind schedule (it's always the plasterers fault the carpenters can't do their job on time in this business) And I was asked , well almost begged by the general contractor to "at least tape it".
All in all. NO I do not recommend it.

PastorMikH
02-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Very valid question Mike.
Yes and at the same time no.
If you ad a bit of calcium chloride or methyl hydrate to the water you mix with it will prevent it from freezing long enough to adhere to the wallboard.
Also you wouldn't cover the tape in this kind of temp, just "tape out a house". Put the heat to it, and then start the finishing steps.
I very seldom tape in that kind of cold,(read that to be almost never) but again, the guy's were willing to stay, the home owner was almost in tears because their house was 3 weeks behind schedule (it's always the plasterers fault the carpenters can't do their job on time in this business) And I was asked , well almost begged by the general contractor to "at least tape it".
All in all. NO I do not recommend it.

Thanks, I was wondering.

FWIW, I've done enough sheetrock to know that is one of the steps in the construction process that is definitely worth hiring out.

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 10:08 AM
I still can't figure out why people think that aliens travel millions of light years to jam a prob up yer azz? :shake:

I bet it's because their wives won't let them do it at home.

Lzen
02-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Stupid Canadiens. :shake: Say, you're a Raiders fan, too, right? Stupid Canadian Raiders fans. :p

j/k Glad to hear you're ok.

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I bet it's because their wives won't let them do it at home.
ROFL ROFL