PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: NFL News and Notes

tk13
02-04-2005, 02:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10811838.htm

It pays to keep your ears open

JASON WHITLOCK

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The best pregame action at the Super Bowl is generally served on “radio row.”

Radio stations from around the country gather inside the media center and broadcast literally hundreds of shows per day. Athletes, celebrities and their handlers descend upon radio row each day and consent to dozens of interviews.

A good interviewer will cull a few funny stories and some good gossip. Here's the best of what I overheard Thursday afternoon:

• Shannon Sharpe's agent, Mike Ornstein, dropped the most intriguing bit of gossip. Ornstein called Philadelphia coach Andy Reid on Monday and tried to convince the Eagles to sign Sharpe for Sunday's game.

Philly tight end Chad Lewis got injured in the NFC championship game. The Eagles signed Jeff Thomason to replace Lewis, but only after they told Ornstein “thanks but no thanks.”

“I said, ‘Coach (Reid), let's bring Shannon Sharpe in for $300,000,' ” Ornstein told me. “Andy said, ‘Mike let me think about it overnight.' He called me on Tuesday. He said he would do it, except he doesn't know if he could take any more of a circus, because he's got Terrell (Owens).”

Sharpe, who retired after last season and is now a studio analyst on “The NFL Today” pregame show on CBS, was confident he could help the Eagles.

“I can play right now,” Sharpe told me. “I could've come out in the middle of the season, and there would've only been two tight ends that were going to catch more balls than me, and that's (Tony) Gonzalez and (Antonio) Gates.”

Ornstein said he sweetened the offer to the Eagles.

“Here's what I told Andy, ‘If (Shannon) doesn't catch six, you don't have to pay him. If he catches six, you have to pay him double.' ”

The Eagles may regret the decision. Thomason, an 11-year NFL veteran who was out of football, won't be much help on Sunday.

• I'm not the only one who thinks injured New England corner Ty Law would be a great addition to the Chiefs. Running back Priest Holmes also is a big Law supporter.

“Give him $10 million, and I'll let him stay in my house while he gets settled,” Holmes told me.

Holmes and Law chatted along radio row Thursday afternoon. Holmes then went on Jim Rome's nationally syndicated show and expressed interest in seeing the Chiefs sign Law.

• Law is likely to become available this offseason because he is unwilling to take a pay cut to stay in New England. The Patriots, Law said, owe him $12.5 million for next season. He's willing to work out a contract extension, which would lower his salary-cap value. But he's unwilling to forfeit the guaranteed $12.5 million.

You follow? He'll take a new contract as long as he gets $12.5 million in signing bonus or other guarantees.

“I don't think I should take less than what I'm already under contract for,” Law told me. “I'd love to finish my career as a Patriot, but I also understand my situation, understand this is a business.”

Law expressed a deep respect for the Kansas City fan base and many of the Chiefs players, particularly Holmes.

“I'd love to play with a guy like that,” Law said. “I'm also good friends with Tony Gonzalez and Dante Hall.”

• Here's another free-agent defensive player to keep in mind as the Chiefs go off-season shopping for defensive help: Baltimore linebacker Ed Hartwell.

The Ravens are switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 under new defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. The Ravens want to provide middle linebacker Ray Lewis with more up-front protection. Hartwell is the odd man out. He's not an outside linebacker, but many people around the league think he's a potential star at middle linebacker.

His teammate Gary Baxter, a free-agent corner likely to re-sign with the Ravens, believes Hartwell is as good as Lewis.

“Ed Hartwell is a phenomenal athlete,” Baxter told me. “But he's overshadowed because of Ray Lewis. (Hartwell) is one of those linebackers that will absolutely get the job done. I don't think Ed will be back with us. He's too good to be in the shadow of another linebacker. I think he can go out on another team and become a Ray Lewis.”

Ari Chi3fs
02-04-2005, 04:56 AM
for me, the offseason #1 dream pick up would be Edgerton Hartwell.

That, my friends, would own.

Him and Antrel Rolle...

Imagine if you will... Law, Hartwell, and Rolle. That would be sweet. Maybe pick a fast fuggin WR in round 2... and im a happy, optimistic fan in 2005.

siberian khatru
02-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Oh, man, Hartwell ... :drool:

the Talking Can
02-04-2005, 07:30 AM
pay the man...Hartwell

crossbow
02-04-2005, 07:49 AM
for me, the offseason #1 dream pick up would be Edgerton Hartwell.

That, my friends, would own.

Him and Antrel Rolle...

Imagine if you will... Law, Hartwell, and Rolle. That would be sweet. Maybe pick a fast fuggin WR in round 2... and im a happy, optimistic fan in 2005.

Yeah, Hartwell is the guy Whitlock should be going after. He makes more sence then a 30 year old corner with a cast on his foot.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 09:07 AM
If it came down to Hartwell or Law, I'd take Hartwell.

the Talking Can
02-04-2005, 09:10 AM
if the choice is between:

a)stud MLB and good CB
or
b)good MLB and stud CB

I'd take a...I imagine that CP has a plan C though....

Manila-Chief
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Yea, I'm concerned about Law's foot. He broke it in a non-contact situation. How sure can we be that it doesn't happen again?

Hoover
02-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Hartwell and a CB like Smoot would be the best offseason I could think off.

siberian khatru
02-04-2005, 09:48 AM
if the choice is between:

a)stud MLB and good CB
or
b)good MLB and stud CB

I'd take a...I imagine that CP has a plan C though....

Absolutely "A."

Although you give Carl too much credit. I think he's got a Plan Q.

HC_Chief
02-04-2005, 09:52 AM
IF we could somehow manage to get both Law and Hartwell (Law = 12.5mil SB, + new cap-friendly contract, over 4-5 seasons), I would shit.

Hoover
02-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Who are the Stud CB, and who are the good CBs

You get what ever you can afford

HC_Chief
02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Law & Surtain are both 'stud' corners.

Smoot, Lucas, Baxter = 'good' corners

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
I still think Baxter would have been a great fit in Kansas City. He's the prototypical corner, Gunther looks for.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Law & Surtain are both 'stud' corners.

Smoot, Lucas, Baxter = 'good' corners

I agree.

Hoover
02-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Well if Smoot is a good CB then he's my dude, and I want Julian Peterson a Stud OLB, not a MLB.