PDA

View Full Version : Krispy Kreme promotion returns for 3rd year!

tk13
02-04-2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10811811.htm

Good news for Royals fans: The Krispy Kreme promotion will be back for another season at Kauffman Stadium.

But to be fair, considering the Royals' lineup, maybe they should reduce the number of hits needed for free doughnuts from 12 to 10.

--------------------------

Peña says it's too early to start with talk about opening-day starter

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

So, I'm chatting with Tony Peña before Wednesday's baseball forecast luncheon, and I want to know who he's thinking of starting on opening day, April 4 at Detroit.

Peña rolls his eyes, smiles and shakes a finger at me.

“Don't start with me. It's not even spring training and already you're starting with me,” he said. “I really don't know.”

Runelvys Hernandez? Zack Greinke? Jose Lima?

“I honestly don't have any idea now,” Peña insists. “I can tell you who it won't be. Greinke. It won't be Zack.”

And why not?

“I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him,” Peña said. “I wouldn't do that to him.”

Actually, Peña wouldn't even concede that anyone was a lock for the rotation. Not at first. But after some prodding, Peña did say, “OK, Lima is definitely in the rotation. But everyone else, it's wide open. People will have to earn it.”

Don't get the impression, though, that Peña is down on Greinke, or has doubts about Hernandez. Not the case.

“Runelvys looks very, very good,” Peña said. “He's throwing harder now than he did before the surgery. I don't know if that's good or bad. But he's throwing 94 (mph) or 95 now. What's left for him to work on is his command. He will get that going, too.”

Early prediction here for the Royals' rotation: Hernandez, Greinke, Lima, Jimmy Gobble, Brian Anderson, though not necessarily in that order. Peña is a big believer in Anderson still, and we hear that Guy Hansen is quickly falling in love with Gobble.

Aside from picking up the Royals' pitcher of the year award, Greinke was in Kansas City with his father, Don, to scout for a place to live. Last summer he stayed with George Brett at Brett's house in Mission Hills.

“I guess I'll get an apartment,” Zack said. “Though I have to admit it was pretty nice staying in George's garage.”

The two areas Zack is scouting: The Plaza and Overland Park.

I'll lay odds that The Plaza wins out.

Lima was asked Wednesday whether he would be willing to sing the national anthem at Kauffman Stadium this season?

“Why not?” Lima said. “This is my home now.”

Lima sang the national anthem before a Cubs-Dodgers game in Los Angeles last May 13.

Lima also has his own band — Banda Mambo.

Comcast subscribers concerned that they might not be able to watch Sunday's Super Bowl in high definition can rest easy. Comcast now will be able to add the high definition feed from WDAF. Comcast customers on both sides of the state line can view the feed on Channel 213.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Sweet. I want Bando Mambo to play the National Anthem on opening day.

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Will Lima's wife be present while he sings?

HC_Chief
02-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Good news for Royals fans: The Krispy Kreme promotion will be back for another season at Kauffman Stadium.

Just what this town of fatasses needs :thumb:

beavis
02-04-2005, 09:50 AM
“I honestly don't have any idea now,” Peña insists. “I can tell you who it won't be. Greinke. It won't be Zack.”

And why not?

“I don't want to put that kind of pressure on him,” Peña said. “I wouldn't do that to him.”

Actually, Peña wouldn't even concede that anyone was a lock for the rotation. Not at first. But after some prodding, Peña did say, “OK, Lima is definitely in the rotation. But everyone else, it's wide open. People will have to earn it.”

Don't get the impression, though, that Peña is down on Greinke, or has doubts about Hernandez. Not the case.

“Runelvys looks very, very good,” Peña said. “He's throwing harder now than he did before the surgery. I don't know if that's good or bad. But he's throwing 94 (mph) or 95 now. What's left for him to work on is his command. He will get that going, too.”

Early prediction here for the Royals' rotation: Hernandez, Greinke, Lima, Jimmy Gobble, Brian Anderson, though not necessarily in that order. Peña is a big believer in Anderson still, and we hear that Guy Hansen is quickly falling in love with Gobble.

I swear I will never understand some of the moves they make. The won't recognize the most promising young pitcher we've had since Saberhagen by even considering starting him opening day (I don't buy the pressure bit, that kid isn't phased by anything), but yet they love a guy that's done nothing but underperform since he's been here. Makes no sense to me.

I'd bet $100 that Lima is starting opening day.

It is nice that we keep hearing good news about Hernandez though. Maybe he'll come back full strength.

Saulbadguy
I wonder if Planet/Yello Sub is doing their promotion again. Royals win, you get a 1.99 Turkey Sub.

beavis
Just what this town of fatasses needs :thumb:
I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt they get 12 hits in a game more than twice this season.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2005, 09:51 AM
I swear I will never understand some of the moves they make. The won't recognize the most promising young pitcher we've had since Saberhagen by even considering starting him opening day (I don't buy the pressure bit, that kid isn't phased by anything), but yet they love a guy that's done nothing but underperform since he's been here. Makes no sense to me.

I'd bet $100 that Lima is starting opening day.

It is nice that we keep hearing good news about Hernandez though. Maybe he'll come back full strength.
Whats the difference if he is in the rotation for the series?

Soupnazi
02-04-2005, 09:54 AM

Precisely what I was wondering too. Who cares. The way the schedule runs, you're always going to have some serieses where your #5 doesn't see the opponent, and your #1 doesn't see the opponent. I don't see the point of bitching about Greinke not being #1.

Douche Baggins
02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Royals suck. GO RANGERS!

beavis
02-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Well for one, it'd put our best pitcher up against their best pitcher, but that wasn't really my point. My point is their seeming unwillingness to admit that Greinkie is something special, while they continue to harp on these guys that don't even amount to average major leaguers.

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 09:57 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about doughnuts :(

beavis
02-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about doughnuts :(
Yeah, I guess I kinda hijacked it. Sorry bout that. :p

Saulbadguy
02-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh yeah..obligatory Demonpenz post:

Start printing playoff tickets!

Soupnazi
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Well for one, it'd put our best pitcher up against their best pitcher, but that wasn't really my point. My point is their seeming unwillingness to admit that Greinkie is something special, while they continue to harp on these guys that don't even amount to average major leaguers.

But that only lasts for one week or so. As soon as two teams play a different number of games in one week, the head to head #1's matchup falls by the wayside.

The Royals have clearly shown that they're going to take their time with Greinke and let him learn how to pitch without forcing the team on his back as a young kid. I support that idea. Seriously, what's to be gained by pushing this kid and breaking him for a ball club that's got serious questions about run scoring and defense?

After trying to sell their souls to some mercenaries for instant success, they've finally realized that they're going to have to develop young talent to compete in a small market. I'm glad their finally seeing the light.

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah..obligatory Demonpenz post:

Start printing playoff tickets!
Ahahahaha. I like how that's now attributed to Demonpenz.

shakesthecat
02-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Ahahahaha. I like how that's now attributed to Demonpenz.

I knew I shoulda got a copywrite on that.

beavis
02-04-2005, 10:24 AM
But that only lasts for one week or so. As soon as two teams play a different number of games in one week, the head to head #1's matchup falls by the wayside.

The Royals have clearly shown that they're going to take their time with Greinke and let him learn how to pitch without forcing the team on his back as a young kid. I support that idea. Seriously, what's to be gained by pushing this kid and breaking him for a ball club that's got serious questions about run scoring and defense?

After trying to sell their souls to some mercenaries for instant success, they've finally realized that they're going to have to develop young talent to compete in a small market. I'm glad their finally seeing the light.
Yeah the #1 vs #1 thing wasn't really my point. I think I just disagree with you about how they manage their players. They try and baby them too much. I've got no proof, but maybe that's a factor in our apparent inability to keep a pitcher healthy.

I don't understand why you would think they need to take their time with Greinke. The kid is obviously a natural. He made some very good hitters look foolish last year. The guy just knows how to pitch.

Soupnazi
02-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah the #1 vs #1 thing wasn't really my point. I think I just disagree with you about how they manage their players. They try and baby them too much. I've got no proof, but maybe that's a factor in our apparent inability to keep a pitcher healthy.

I don't understand why you would think they need to take their time with Greinke. The kid is obviously a natural. He made some very good hitters look foolish last year. The guy just knows how to pitch.

No doubt he's good. I've also seen a lot of young talented pitchers come up through the ranks that management has sent out there early (hell, he's got a 95 mph fastball, let's send him up), without the tools they need to compete. The young kids get shelled, confidence destroyed, John F'ing Cumberland decides to screw around with their mechanics, tries to reinvent them, and ends up ending them for good.

I'm overjoyed that Cumberland's gone. And I just think that the Royals have gotta concentrate on developing young talent and be patient with them instead of waiting until they start to show promise, pushing them and ruining them. Greinke's not going to be enough to get this team into the postseason this year.

beavis
02-04-2005, 10:45 AM
No doubt he's good. I've also seen a lot of young talented pitchers come up through the ranks that management has sent out there early (hell, he's got a 95 mph fastball, let's send him up), without the tools they need to compete. The young kids get shelled, confidence destroyed, John F'ing Cumberland decides to screw around with their mechanics, tries to reinvent them, and ends up ending them for good.

I'm overjoyed that Cumberland's gone. And I just think that the Royals have gotta concentrate on developing young talent and be patient with them instead of waiting until they start to show promise, pushing them and ruining them. Greinke's not going to be enough to get this team into the postseason this year.
I think he already has the tools myself. The thing that scares me is the pitching coaches jacking with his delivery or something and screwing him up.

You are right though, thank God Cumberland is gone. Hansen couldn't possibly be any worse than that idiot.

Soupnazi
02-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I think he already has the tools myself. The thing that scares me is the pitching coaches jacking with his delivery or something and screwing him up.

You are right though, thank God Cumberland is gone. Hansen couldn't possibly be any worse than that idiot.

Your comment about making some good hitters look foolish, and our ensuring conversation reminds me of MacDougal. Started out awesome, great velocity, but he only had two pitches and shaky location. They toss him out there, he has some early success and then instantly he's closer. Blows a couple of saves, Cumberland starts jacking with his motion, and he can't find the plate anymore. Kid gets jacked on a more and more routine basis. Who knows if he's salvageable now. :cuss:

beavis
02-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Your comment about making some good hitters look foolish, and our ensuring conversation reminds me of MacDougal. Started out awesome, great velocity, but he only had two pitches and shaky location. They toss him out there, he has some early success and then instantly he's closer. Blows a couple of saves, Cumberland starts jacking with his motion, and he can't find the plate anymore. Kid gets jacked on a more and more routine basis. Who knows if he's salvageable now. :cuss:
Yeah, but surely you can see that Mac and Greinke are two entirely different brands of pitcher.

Darkwolfe
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Royals suck. GO RANGERS!

YA!! We got a Rangers fan here! I'm not alone after all!!!!

I'll be good and cheer for the Royals when anyone else is in town though. :)

cookster50
02-04-2005, 12:28 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
YA!! We got a Rangers fan here! I'm not alone after all!!!!

I'll be good and cheer for the Royals when anyone else is in town though. :)
Dude, you're aligning yourself with gochiefs. You might wanna rethink this one.

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.
Indeed.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/photo/2004album/may/513limasings.jpg

Saulbadguy
02-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Indeed.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/photo/2004album/may/513limasings.jpg
Holy.....shit.

bkkcoh
02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Holy.....shit.

Is that the one he gave the STD to? Or was that a different one..

:hmmm:

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Is that the one he gave the STD to? Or was that a different one..

:hmmm:
The pic is of his wife.

He got sued for giving an STD to some random groupie.

bkkcoh
02-04-2005, 01:33 PM
The pic is of his wife.

Isn't it amazing what kind of boo*s money can buy....

tk13
02-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Holy.....shit.
Yeah, baseball has been beary beary good to him.

Darkwolfe
02-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Dude, you're aligning yourself with gochiefs. You might wanna rethink this one.

Only for the Rangers games, only for the Rangers games. Outside of Kaufmann, no bets.

Saggysack
02-04-2005, 02:43 PM
The pic is of his wife.

Was it the gift that keeps on giving?