PDA

View Full Version : Skins won't franchise tag Smoot

The Bad Guy
02-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Fred Smoot is going to hit the open market and besides Law, I think I would rather have him over anyone else.

He's a great cover corner, has a swagger we need, and has played on some good defenses. Hell, he was picked on every down playing with Champ Bailey and he held up.

Hoover
02-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Can I have shotgun on the bandwagon?

The Bad Guy
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
And this is a re-post.

I feel like Royr.

bricks
02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, now that Smoot, Law, Surtain, Lucas, and Woodson are all available, our front office better not come up with excuses IF we don't sign a CB. There are plenty good CB's to choose from, and GOD we better sign at least one. I would take Smoot. He'd be my 3rd option. Law and Surtain would be my first preference of course, no brainer. Smoot's a good cover corner, however, his tackling skills kinda stink, and he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Still an upgrade over what we got.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 10:40 AM
i thought Smoot was a restricted free agent ... that means they don't have to tag him.

they can either match any offer or let him go and receive a 2nd round draft pick.

The Bad Guy
02-04-2005, 11:14 AM
i thought Smoot was a restricted free agent ... that means they don't have to tag him.

they can either match any offer or let him go and receive a 2nd round draft pick.

Nope, he was a 2nd rounder and I don't think 1st or 2nd rounders can be restricted.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Nope, he was a 2nd rounder and I don't think 1st or 2nd rounders can be restricted.
:hmmm:

ok ... i dunno

i thought a restricted free agent had more to do with the length of their first initial contract moreso than what round they were drafted.

nmt1
02-04-2005, 11:22 AM
From NFL.com:

What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires. Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

What constitutes an "accrued season?"

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.

Other than accrued seasons, what determines a restricted free agent?

He has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his old club. He can negotiate with any club through April 16. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him because it has the "right of first refusal." If the old club does not match the offer, it can possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club on April 16.

What determines an unrestricted free agent?

A player with four or more accrued seasons whose contract has expired. He is free to sign with any club, with no compensation owed to his old club, through July 22 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later). On July 23, his rights revert to his old club if it made a "tender" offer (110 percent of last year's salary) to him by June 1. His old club then has until the 10th week of the season (November 9) to sign him. If he does not sign by November 9, he must sit out the season. If no tender is offered by June 1, the player can be signed by any club at any time throughout the season.

Source (http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/qa)

The Bad Guy
02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Laz,

I was wrong, Smoot just finished his 4th year. But since it was his 4th year, he is free to go without compensation.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Laz,

I was wrong, Smoot just finished his 4th year. But since it was his 4th year, he is free to go without compensation.

Yep.

Smoot was a RFA last year.

nmt1
02-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Laz,

They could transition tag him though. Don't know whey they wouldn't do that.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
They could transition tag him though. Don't know whey they wouldn't do that.

The transition tag doesn't guarantee compensatory picks and perhaps the average of the top 10 CB salaries isn't much less than the average of the top 5?

royr17
02-04-2005, 11:45 AM
And this is a re-post.

I feel like Royr.

Oh, no you just didnt. :mad: :cuss:

nmt1
02-04-2005, 11:47 AM
The transition tag doesn't guarantee compensatory picks and perhaps the average of the top 10 CB salaries isn't much less than the average of the top 5?

It's possible, I suppose. The tag does, however, guarentee them the chance to match any offer he gets. It would make sense to me, if they really want to keep him, that they would want that right.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 11:49 AM
It's possible, I suppose. The tag does, however, guarentee them the chance to match any offer he gets. It would make sense to me, if they really want to keep him, that they would want that right.

Maybe they don't care to keep him at the price he'll likely fetch on the open market?

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Yep.

Smoot was a RFA last year.
ooo ... that's prolly what i was remembering then

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 11:58 AM
ooo ... that's prolly what i was remembering then

Yeah, we discussed that a while back.

I think it was me that started everybody thinking he was a RFA. It suddenly dawned on me that I was remembering last year's conversation...

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 12:05 PM

Smoot will not receive franchise tag

By Jody Foldesy
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The unprecedented size of the franchise tag for cornerbacks, announced yesterday at the NFL Players Association's annual news conference, ensures the Washington Redskins won't place the tag on cornerback Fred Smoot.

It wasn't clear in recent weeks how seriously the Redskins considered the option as team officials played coy and coach Joe Gibbs repeatedly said such discussions were yet to be held. However, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato said last night Smoot definitely won't get the tag at a record $8.816 million.

"It doesn't make sense," Cerrato said.

The franchise tag permits a club to control one of its unrestricted free agents by making a one-year tender offer equivalent to the average of the position's five highest-paid players. Although the tag wasn't intended to extract trade value, it often is used in such fashion, as Washington did last year with cornerback Champ Bailey.

Bailey's tag was for $6.801 million. The highest-priced tag historically has been reserved for quarterbacks. But this year cornerbacks made an unprecedented jump into the top slot. If Washington were to use the tag on Smoot, he simply could sign it, ensuring an $8.8 million payday, then wait for free agency in 2005.

"He'd sign that in a minute," Cerrato acknowledged.

At lower levels, the tag can give a team leverage over the player, who can't secure major guaranteed money and must negotiate on the club's terms or seek a trade.

nmt1
02-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Maybe they don't care to keep him at the price he'll likely fetch on the open market?

That's entirely possible as well. I think Smoot's situation is similar to Tait's. IMO, we transitioned Tait because we wanted to have a shot at matching if it wasn't an outrageous offer, which it was.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of offers he and other CB's get this offseason with the new rules in place.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 12:07 PM

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=CB

Fred Smoot RFA Redskins

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 12:08 PM
blah blah article we've already read blah :D

Yeah, that's where the franchise number came from. My hypothetical to NMT1 was that perhaps the average of the top 10 CB's isn't much lower than the $8.8 number...

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=CB

Fred Smoot RFA Redskins

Yeah, I was the one that posted that link initially.

It's been brought to my attention since that several of the entries are incorrect, including Smoot.

BCD
02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Anybody have Satan's number? I'd be willing to put my soul up for sale if Carl signed him...