PDA

View Full Version : which Cornerbacks do you prefer?

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 01:13 PM
in free agency(including the FA trade guys)

pick 2

royr17
02-04-2005, 01:19 PM
Patrick Surtain, Ty Law, Ken Lucas, and Fred Smoot and Gary Baxter for Free Safety.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Patrick Surtain, Ty Law, Ken Lucas, and Fred Smoot and Gary Baxter for Free Safety.
:spock:

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Smoot and Lucas

dirk digler
02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Smoot and Surtain.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 01:44 PM
I'm amazed by how many people want Surtain. Sure, he'd be better then what we have, but we would have to trade something valuable to get him while the others will be free agents. Another thing that I think people are forgetting is that Surtain benefits by having Sam Madison on the other side of the field and being surrounded by one of the best defenses in the league. I'm not sure that he would be as effective in our defense.

LTownChief
02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Id like Surtain, he's 28 yrs old and has at least 5 good yrs in him. Law is great but how old is he? 33? To be honest I would be surpised and thrilled if we got ANY of those guys at all.

Miles
02-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Smoot or Surtain

Brock
02-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Sorry, you'll only be getting one new corner. Warfield isn't going anywhere.

Kclee
02-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Smoot and Surtain.

yep, those are my picks. Funny (or stupid) thing is, if we could only pick one and we pick a CB with our 1st pick, my choice would be Law. I would want a young CB to learn everything he can from Law. Plus a proven vet that has been there and done that. No one else on the list I could really say that for. They are simply younger, not coming off and injury, and probably less expensive. So if we don't go CB with the first pick, Smoot and Surtain it is.

Chiefnj
02-04-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm amazed by how many people want Surtain. Sure, he'd be better then what we have, but we would have to trade something valuable to get him while the others will be free agents. Another thing that I think people are forgetting is that Surtain benefits by having Sam Madison on the other side of the field and being surrounded by one of the best defenses in the league. I'm not sure that he would be as effective in our defense.

We would have to give up something valuable, but that might be the only way to get a high priced, highly coveted FA to play in KC during the last year of both the GM and coach, knowing their future might be uncertain.

I'm not sure how you think Surtain benefits from having Madison on the other side of the field. Madison is also a very good corner, and I assume you think Madison is better. If that is the case teams would be throwing to Surtain's side of the field more often. Furthermore, if he is benefitting from being surrounded by one of the best defenses in the league - then so is Baxter (Ravens), Ty Law and Smoot to a degree.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Sorry, you'll only be getting one new corner. Warfield isn't going anywhere.

You're right and wrong.

We'll only be getting one STARTING CB, via free agency.

I can almost guarantee we'll be drafting a CB (who won't start right away).

Gunther has said he wants a FA starter, a draftee, and one more from either draft or FA that can fill in as depth...

Remember, Warfield likely won't play in the 1st 4 games of the season.

HolmeZz
02-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Law and Surtain.

Saulbadguy
02-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Surtain and Gaz.

Brock
02-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Remember, Warfield likely won't play in the 1st 4 games of the season.

Yeah, forgot about that.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 03:48 PM
We would have to give up something valuable, but that might be the only way to get a high priced, highly coveted FA to play in KC during the last year of both the GM and coach, knowing their future might be uncertain.

While that is a legitimate concern, I really think that the players will follow the money wherever the go. Basically, if we offer them the best deal they will come here. Also, we don't really know if free agents are being told privately that Al Saunders (or whomever) will take over the team after next year. If players know that ownership has a plan in place, they will be much more comfortable coming here.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
On another note, what does everyone think we could get Surtain for? Last year, the Broncos gave up their best offensive player in Clinton Portis to obtain Champ Bailey. If everyone feels that Surtain is a top 5 CB in the league, then I think we will have to give up someone valuable to get him. Personally, I don't want to trade Priest, LJ, Gonzo, or any of our starting offensive lineman to get Surtain. I would also prefer to keep our 1st round draft pick. What do you think would be acceptable to give in order to obtain Surtain?

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 04:07 PM
On another note, what does everyone think we could get Surtain for? Last year, the Broncos gave up their best offensive player in Clinton Portis to obtain Champ Bailey. If everyone feels that Surtain is a top 5 CB in the league, then I think we will have to give up someone valuable to get him. Personally, I don't want to trade Priest, LJ, Gonzo, or any of our starting offensive lineman to get Surtain. I would also prefer to keep our 1st round draft pick. What do you think would be acceptable to give in order to obtain Surtain?

actually they are talking about a 2nd round draft choice for surtain

he's in the last year of his contract and wants an extension that apparently the dolphins don't wanna give him.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
I could definitely live with a 2nd rounder for Surtain. I guess I have been reading Dolphins message boards too much because they have said we should give up LJ and our 1st rounder to get him which is ridiculous.

Mr. Laz
02-04-2005, 04:19 PM
I could definitely live with a 2nd rounder for Surtain. I guess I have been reading Dolphins message boards too much because they have said we should give up LJ and our 1st rounder to get him which is ridiculous.

that ain't happening

i guess surtain is in the last year of his contract and his cap number is like 8-9 million next year.

he wants a new contract or the 8-9 million

similar to the Ty law situation

both will get a new contract(IE extension) or will probably not be on the same team next year.

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Who the Hell is ED Baxter? I saw that and thought of Ed Asner, not a good mental picture.

the Talking Can
02-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Law is the best CB, but the best combo of age/talent/$$$ is, imho, Smoot.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Bailey for Portis trade-
" The agreements cleared the way for the Redskins’ four-time Pro Bowler to be traded to the Broncos for Portis, who ran for 1,500-plus yards each of his first two seasons. Denver also receives Washington’s second-round draft pick this season."

ChiefsKing
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
in free agency(including the FA trade guys)

pick 2

Your list is missing Charles Woodson. Last I heard he hadn't signed a long term contract. I know many here won't be for him, but he is a pro bowl type player at a position we need, and he is very familiar with all the WR's in the AFC West, especially Oakland. We need to focus on getting better talent.

htismaqe
02-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Your list is missing Charles Woodson. Last I heard he hadn't signed a long term contract. I know many here won't be for him, but he is a pro bowl type player at a position we need, and he is very familiar with all the WR's in the AFC West, especially Oakland. We need to focus on getting better talent.

Woodson is overrated, IMO.

He had talent coming into the league but lately he's a liability, off the field and ON.

Thig Lyfe
02-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Law and Smoot

Ultra Peanut
02-05-2005, 08:13 AM
I am surtain that I want Smootsmack.