PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans?

saraed001
02-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Going down for the first time next weekend and was curious on some good things to see and places to eat and drink?

DeepSouth
02-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Be prepared for the entire French Quarter to smell like sour beer, piss, and vomit. It'll take awhile for the residue of Mardi Gras to disperse.

siberian khatru
02-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Brunch at Commander's Palace. DO NOT go tour the cemetery across the street, though. Dan-ger-ous.

ptlyon
02-04-2005, 02:12 PM
...curious on some good things to see and places to eat and drink?

Like everywhere

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Try the crawfish Po Boy at Ralph and Cackoo's (sp.)

Scaga
02-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Whatever you do...don't eat at the "Y". :dom:

ChiefsOne
02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Maiden Voyage on Bourban Street has some pretty good sites!

ChiefsOne
02-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Don't let any body scam you and there are alot that will try. You know where you got your shoes, there on Bourban St.

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I think you'll like the west end of the Fench Quarter. Don't forget your chaps :thailor:

Ultra Peanut
02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Be prepared for the entire French Quarter to smell like sour beer, piss, and vomit.That's just part of its charm, in my book.

New Orleans kicks ass.

saraed001
02-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I think you'll like the west end of the Fench Quarter. Don't forget your chaps :thailor:

I think I'll pass on that area.

DeepSouth
02-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Don't let any body scam you and there are alot that will try. You know where you got your shoes, there on Bourban St.

Scam Artist: I bet you $5 I can tell you where you got dem shoes.

You're thinking: Where did I buy these shoes. Hell I can't remember. How in the hell is this guy going to know. You say, "sure, I'll take that bet".

Scam Artist: You got dem on your feet.

You then pay up and feel like a sapp...............

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 02:48 PM
You then pay up

Bzzzt! You then laugh, and say, "My, that's clever!" and continue on your way.

F*ck panhandlers. Even the ones that tell the same jokes 4th graders do.

kc rush
02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I was down there a few years back, in the middle of the summer (hotter than hell). The group I was with went down a side street in the French Quarter and came upon the Velvet Dog.

It was owned by the same people as in KC. We struck it up with the bartender and got cheap beers. We ended up there every night that we were in town. At one point the bartender announced that every one of the dozen people in the bar at that time was from KC.

Miles
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Yeah dont go past the Cats Meow.

DeepSouth
02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah dont go past the Cats Meow.

http://www.nola.com/bourbocam/classic/

Live video cam from Bourbon Street. They have two cams at the Cats Meow. One is from the front door (that you can't enter). The other is from the balcony.

Miles
02-04-2005, 03:14 PM
If you like coffee (especially dark roasts) definitly stop by Rue de la Course. Amazing Coffee.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=401+Carondelet+St.&city=new+orleans+&state=la&zipcode=

Cafe Du Monde Coffee shop is well known but i think their coffee sucks and its always way too crowded.

There is a pretty good french pastery shop on St. Charles near lafayette square called La Boulangerie. They also serve good coffee.

Mother's on Podras St is a great place to get po-boys.

Palace Cafe is a great place for lunch. It gets a little pricy at night.
http://www.palacecafe.com/

saraed001
02-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Great info. Thanks.

Darkwolfe
02-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Put your wallet in your front pocket and keep it there. If you don't, that 8 year old that was wailing a trumpet near you two minutes ago will have it in nothing flat and you'll think you left it in the hotel.

Don't take the kids on Bourbon street either.

tyton75
02-04-2005, 03:34 PM

I was with a group of my buddies in college and ran into that scam.. I ended up giving the guy $5.. and was harrassed the rest of the damn trip!

tyton75
02-04-2005, 03:40 PM
There is one place on a corner.. I think its Pat O'Briens.. they have a big, open air bar with a waterfall that has a big fire in it.. its really pretty cool.. nice place to just sit back and have a hurricane! I highly recommend it!

Spicy McHaggis
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Went their with my two best friends and three female companions two years ago. We went to a Irish bar called O'Flaherty's that was pretty fun just for chilling out and watching the games. (was there during the Final Four week which was in New Orleans that year) Bourbon Street is fun and always packed just watch your valuables. Cat's Meow is good to see the boobies and Razoo is decent for the dancing. The Alibi is a smaller place with a great beer selection. And if you like the under the drinking age pootang, head to The Boot, which I believe Lindsay Lohan visited recently. Bring a camera too. Trust me it helps you put the night together the next morning.

Spicy McHaggis
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
There is one place on a corner.. I think its Pat O'Briens.. they have a big, open air bar with a waterfall that has a big fire in it.. its really pretty cool.. nice place to just sit back and have a hurricane! I highly recommend it!

O'Briens is good too. How'd I forget that?

siberian khatru
02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Get a muffaletta and a beer at Central Grocery, too.

saraed001
02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
What the heck is a muffaleta?

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 03:52 PM
What the heck is a muffaleta?

sammich

Darkwolfe
02-04-2005, 03:59 PM

Pat O'Briens rocks. Just don't slurp too many Hurricanes or you'll wind up doing a Phobia imitation at 3am. :BLVD:

Miles
02-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Yeah thats Pat O'Briens. I love that place.

Tropical Isle is another good bar to check out.

I forgot a big tip. You can get a really bigass beer for cheap from the vendors that are all over the palce. And you can walk into most bars with those beers.

Donger
02-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Mr. B's Bistro. Probably the finest food I've ever sampled. I highly recommend the Barbeque Shrimp.

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Hooterís in the French quarter. :thumb:
Their Philly Cheese steak is to die for.
The Gumbo will have your taste budís thinking your eating ambrosia, and the girls :drool:

Here's a map:

http://hooters.know-where.com/hooters/cgi/site?site=083&address=

saraed001
02-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Hooterís in the French quarter. :thumb:
Their Philly Cheese steak is to die for.
The Gumbo will have your taste budís thinking your eating ambrosia, and the girls :drool:

Here's a map:

http://hooters.know-where.com/hooters/cgi/site?site=083&address=

No offense, but if I am going to New Orleans the last thing that I would want to do is go to a chain.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
No offense, but if I am going to New Orleans the last thing that I would want to do is go to a chain.

Same thing I thought.

siberian khatru
02-04-2005, 04:50 PM

I know a couple who just got married, went to Paris for their honeymoon. Came back and complained that hamburgers at the Planet Hollywood there cost $18.

Morons go all the way to France and then eat at a Planet Hollywood??? :shake:

Over-Head
02-04-2005, 04:56 PM

This one ain't like the "rest of the Chain". Similar maybe, but the same...no way!

Ultra Peanut
02-04-2005, 07:06 PM
What the heck is a muffaleta?A shitty boyband-wannabe twin?

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
This one ain't like the "rest of the Chain". Similar maybe, but the same...no way!

There is no defending it. We'll just chalk it up to drain bramage from that hypothermia incident. ;)

but while in Nawlins people should definitely visit Popeye's chicken.

Ultra Peanut
02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
There is no defending it. We'll just chalk it up to drain bramage from that hypothermia incident. ;)

but while in Nawlins people should definitely visit Popeye's chicken.Uh... that's a chain, too.

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Uh... that's a chain, too.

you're quick :clap:

Miles
02-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Oh yea dont eat at crystal burger late night. It may seem like a good idea but its unbelievably shitty.

ENDelt260
02-04-2005, 10:32 PM
you're quick :clap:
Yeah, that was pretty uncharacteristic of Psi.

Ultra Peanut
02-05-2005, 01:53 AM
You mother****ers don't know shit. Krystal is a chain, too.

Count Alex's Losses
02-05-2005, 01:56 AM
DO NOT go tour the cemetery across the street, though. Dan-ger-ous.

Thug hangout?

Jenson71
02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Where's the jazz at? The New Orleans jazz...

bringbackmarty
02-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Brunch at Commander's Palace. DO NOT go tour the cemetery across the street, though. Dan-ger-ous.
no it's not. it is only open during daylight hours and only guided tours are allowed in. I live five blocks from here. While the lower garden district is not without it's problems, the police presence, the private security patrols, Police operated security cameras, and the fact that a lot of the cities money lives there has had a significant impact on crime in that neighborhood.

bringbackmarty
02-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Mr. B's Bistro. Probably the finest food I've ever sampled. I highly recommend the Barbeque Shrimp.
I agree.

6 Iron
02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
\
Mother's on Podras St is a great place to get po-boys.

I really like the crawfish etouffee at Mother's, but there is often a long line for this cafeteria style restaurant; a good place to go at off hours, say for a late lunch.

It is hard to go wrong with most restaurants in NO.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-05-2005, 12:05 PM
The minute you land in New Orleans, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get that aspect of New Orleans off you is to eat it off. That means beignets and crawfish bisque and jambalaya, it means shrimp remoulade, pecan pie, and red beans 'n rice, it means elegant pompano en papillote, funky filť z'herbes, and raw oysters by the dozen, it means grillades for breakfast, a po-boy with chow-chow at bedtime, and tubs of gumbo in between. It is not unusual for a visitor to the city to gain fifteen pounds in a week - yet the alternative is a whole lot worse. If you don't eat day and night, if you don't constantly funnel the indigenous flavors into your bloodstream, then the mystery beast will keep on humping you, and you will feel its sordid presence rubbing against you long after you have left town. In fact, like any sex offender, it can leave permanent psychological scars.
-- Tom Robbins, from Jitterbug Perfume

A few of my personal faves include:
Half-a-muffaletta & a cold beer at the Napolean House (order 'half-a-moof' and the beer of your choice) Central grocery is fine, I just like the 'nappy house'.

Brunch or lunch at Commander's Palace-try the turtle soup AND order the bread pudding souffle when you order your entree...they make it while you eat. As Family Guy would say "Freakin' sweet!"

Breakfast at The Coffeepot in the Quarter - try the calas, a rice fritter, once a standard NOLA breakfast but almost no one else still makes 'em.

Have a Ramos Gin Fizz at the Fairmont Hotel, make the best in the city (hence, the best in the world) IMHO. This was once the Roosevelt hotel, and the basis of the old '60's movie HOTEL. It's across Canal from the Quarter, on Poydras if memory serves. Interesting old joint, I grew up listening to jazz 'Live from 'the Blue Room' at the Roosevelt Hotel'.

Order a plate of Garlic Chicken at the bar @ Tujaques, might as well have a Sazerac while you're waiting.

More here:

http://www.gumbopages.com/neworleans.html

Chris Meck
02-05-2005, 01:42 PM
I'm moving to New Orleans in April; it's a much better town to be a musician in than KC.

Avoid the tourist-ey stuff; I mean if you've never been, then of course you have to go to Bourbon Street and Pat O'Briens and all that, but it's all overpriced and dumbed down for the tourists. Just spend one night doing that, and then spend the rest of your time there checking out where the folks that LIVE there go-that's where the really cool stuff is, and New Orleans is also CHEAP if you stay away from the tourist traps.

Good cheap eats in the quarter: Verdi Mart. It's one block...west (I think) off Bourbon, a little deli in the back of a corner liquor store. Cheap, huge portions, and you can get damned near anything you could possibly want to eat there. DO NOT eat a hotdog from the little stands you see all over the quarter unless you enjoy chucking your cookies.

For a really awesome meal, take the trolley uptown to Carrollton and eat at Jacimo's. Right next door is the Maple Leaf, which the Stones played awhile back as an unnanounced club gig.

To meet some real folks, drop into the Kerry Irish Pub on the 300 block of Decatur right there in the Quarter. Ask THEM where to get some good food and where stuff is if you don't want to eat at a Hooters.

Have fun, it's the town for it.

Chris