PDA

View Full Version : Beware of teenage girls bearing cookies.

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm not quite sure what to make out of this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6914824/?GT1=6190

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050204/050203_cookies_hmed_12p.hmedium.jpg

That’s the way the cookie crumbles
Frightened neighbor sues teens over late-night gift — and wins

Updated: 3:48 p.m. ET Feb. 4, 2005DURANGO, Colo. - Two teenage girls who surprised their neighbors with homemade cookies late one night were ordered to pay nearly $900 in medical bills plus court costs for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker declined Thursday to award punitive damages, saying he did not believe the girls acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, then 18, baked the chocolate chip and sugar cookies one night last July. They made packages with a half-dozen cookies each and added large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, “Have a great night” and were signed with their first initials: “Love, The T and L Club.” Then they set off to make their deliveries.

The Denver Post reported Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking. It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

‘Shadowy figures’ and no answer to ‘Who’s there?’
But Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she was at her rural home south of Durango around 10:30 p.m. when she saw “shadowy figures” outside the house banging repeatedly on her door. She yelled, “Who’s there?” but no one answered, and the figures ran away.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Frightened, Young spent the night at her sister’s home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking, had an upset stomach and feared she had had a heart attack.

Apologies called insincere
The teenagers’ families offered to pay Young’s medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

The girls declined comment after the ruling. Taylor’s mother said her daughter “cried and cried.”

“She felt she was being punished for doing something nice,” Jill Ostergaard said.

Young said the teenagers showed “very poor judgment”

“The victory wasn’t sweet,” Young said. “I’m not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson.”

The two were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs. They paid the judgment Thursday, a court clerk said Friday.

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally I thought this was a Girl Scout Cookie thread. It is that time of year agian.

Zebedee DuBois
02-04-2005, 05:25 PM
That is just sad.

Joe Seahawk
02-04-2005, 05:30 PM
I wish they would have come to my house..

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 06:05 PM
I wish they would have come to my house..

You want to nibble on their cookies?

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I bet they pooped in the cookie dough before they baked them.

HemiEd
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Further proof that "no good deed goes unpunished", too bad for the girls they ran in to this bag for a neighbor

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Further proof that "no good deed goes unpunished", too bad for the girls they ran in to this bag for a neighborSome wenches are just paranoid. :shrug:

HemiEd
02-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Some wenches are just paranoid. :shrug:

Yep, they will probably end up being "crack heads" or something now. Then they should countersue the bitch for ruining their lives!

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Maybe I am alone, but doesn't this sound fishy to anyone else?

Two teenage girls wanted to avoid cursing at a party so they stayed home, baked cookies, sat them on people's doorsteps, knocked, and ran away giggling madly.

Something just doesn't click. Is the reporter related to them? I am surprised I didn't read about a small child they found in a well and rescued at the same time. And why would they "bang on the door repeatedly" if they wanted to surprise someone?

That said, I don't understand the judgement against them at all. Why are they liable because a stupid broad got scared?

angel
02-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally I thought this was a Girl Scout Cookie thread. It is that time of year agian.
Is it wrong that I run when I see Girl Scouts with their cookie selling sheets? I'm a poor college student forced to work all day at an elementary school... and pay for the work that I do. I keep seeing these little girls with the cookie selling sheets coming down the hall, so I duck into the nearest open doorway to avoid being asked. I can't turn the little sweethearts down, but I can't afford to buy something that I won't even eat.

To post about the thread topic: people are sue-happy, and I'm beginning to hate mankind. That's why I'm becoming a teacher, to mold future minds into ones that will be more like I want the world to be like. It's quite an awesome power.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Is it wrong that I run when I see Girl Scouts with their cookie selling sheets? I'm a poor college student forced to work all day at an elementary school... and pay for the work that I do. I keep seeing these little girls with the cookie selling sheets coming down the hall, so I duck into the nearest open doorway to avoid being asked. I can't turn the little sweethearts down, but I can't afford to buy something that I won't even eat.

To post about the thread topic: people are sue-happy, and I'm beginning to hate mankind. That's why I'm becoming a teacher, to mold future minds into ones that will be more like I want the world to be like. It's quite an awesome power.
Hell, no. 4.00 for a box of dry cookies is alright if you are friends or family supporting the kids, but I don't buy them - ever

FloridaChief
02-04-2005, 06:30 PM

Amazing that you're an educator and yet believe you have even an ounce of power over children's minds...

Naive, much?

FloridaChief
02-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm beginning to hate mankind.

Congratulations. You're on the right track...

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 06:32 PM

Two teenage girls wanted to avoid cursing at a party so they stayed home, baked cookies, sat them on people's doorsteps, knocked, and ran away giggling madly.

Something just doesn't click. Is the reporter related to them? I am surprised I didn't read about a small child they found in a well and rescued at the same time. And why would they "bang on the door repeatedly" if they wanted to surprise someone?

That said, I don't understand the judgement against them at all. Why are they liable because a stupid broad got scared?

I find this odd, too, especially since neither of them is wearing those amish bonnets.

HemiEd
02-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Hell, no. 4.00 for a box of dry cookies is alright if you are friends or family supporting the kids, but I don't buy them - ever

The Cookie companies are hardly allowing the Girls Scouts any of the money now. The portions are smaller and the price is higher with less to the GS. I would rather just give them $10 which is more than they would net from selling 15 boxes of cookies I believe.

angel
Amazing that you're an educator and yet believe you have even an ounce of power over children's minds...

Naive, much?
they're 6 years old- It's an important time in their lives for developing who they'll turn out to be. I can totally make them think and do almost anything that I want.

KCWolfman
I find this odd, too, especially since neither of them is wearing those amish bonnets.
I would assume they are mennonites as they have buckles and jewelry in the pic.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
they're 6 years old- It's an important time in their lives for developing who they'll turn out to be. I can totally make them think and do almost anything that I want.
Wouldn't it be better to nuture their own abilities to think and process instead of instilling your mores and values?

FloridaChief
02-04-2005, 06:35 PM

ROFL

Delusional!

Enjoy yourself.

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 06:35 PM

I'll give you $100 if you'll teach them to love my company.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I'll give you $100 if you'll teach them to love my company.
Mr. Jackson, drop the child and step away from the sandbox.

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 06:41 PM

You should just say "No thank you." It will not hurt their feelings. The truth is better than the shame you are feeling from running and hiding.

Although teaching is a noble profession, I cannot disagree more with the reason for you wanting to be a teacher strongly enough.
You should want to be a teacher to enable INDIVIDUALS to reach their full potential, whatever that may be. You should not enter into it with some grandiose altruistic notion that you are going to shape the world. We have had enough of that crap over the past 20 years, and it has led to this political corectness that has reached the point of insanity. JMHO. :D

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Mr. Jackson, drop the child and step away from the sandbox.

I was just showing him my llama.

Actually, this is great proactive marketing. If just one of those kids grows up to be a market research buyer, it'll really pay off 20 years from now.

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 06:43 PM
You should just say "No thank you." It will not hurt their feelings. The truth is better than the shame you are feeling from running and hiding.

Although teaching is a noble profession, I cannot disagree more with the reason for you wanting to be a teacher strongly enough.
You should want to be a teacher to enable INDIVIDUALS to reach their full potential, whatever that may be. You should not enter into it with some grandiose altruistic notion that you are going to shape the world. We have had enough of that crap over the past 20 years, and it has led to this political corectness that has reached the point of insanity. JMHO. :D

I'll pay you $100 if you teach your rats to love my company. If just one of them grows up to be a .... oh, never mind. None of them are going to grow up, are they?

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
I'll pay you $100 if you teach your rats to love my company. If just one of them grows up to be a .... oh, never mind. None of them are going to grow up, are they?Some are lucky, and breed like Stalions for the better part of 12 months, but the end up in the belly of a snake anyways. Thanks for the ride, sucka. lmao. DING DING DING>

Demonpenz
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
they should have the girls bake the cookies themselves. Girls these days need to learn their way around the kitchen

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I'll pay you $100 if you teach your rats to love my company. If just one of them grows up to be a .... oh, never mind. None of them are going to grow up, are they?
I dunno, the DNA between rat and Market Researcher have been said to be very similar.

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I dunno, the DNA between rat and Market Researcher have been said to be very similar.Every time I see that CSI show, and they are showing that blue light thing looking for the blood I think, "Shit, if they ever did that in the back of my store, umm nevermind."

stevieray
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM

That's the parents job.

bogie
02-04-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm sure your intention is good. However, your describing a parents job. Even a parent should allow their child to develope on their own but try to guide them in the right direction. Basically teach them right from wrong.

bogie
02-04-2005, 07:01 PM
That's the parents job.

Whoa... I just matched a legend

BIG_DADDY
02-04-2005, 08:35 PM
How come they couldn't be my neighbors instead of some chickensh!t beeotchs? I know this much I'll eat their cookies and savor every moment.

LTownChief
02-04-2005, 10:55 PM
That lady needs a good slap in the face. 15 yr old girls are immature, especially when they're around each other, I can't believe what judges will rule for these days. Its like, if somebody tried to shoot me and I ducked and it richocheted (sp?) and went back and hit him, he could probably sue me for ducking and I'd owe him a ton of money.

BIG_DADDY
02-04-2005, 11:01 PM
That lady needs a good slap in the face. 15 yr old girls are immature, especially when they're around each other, I can't believe what judges will rule for these days. Its like, if somebody tried to shoot me and I ducked and it richocheted (sp?) and went back and hit him, he could probably sue me for ducking and I'd owe him a ton of money.

Legislation feeds on it's own insanity that's why it needs to be put in check. For the life of me I have no idea how you do it once it has grown this omnipotent.

Count Zarth
02-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Cursing and drinking! Oh my!

Kclee
02-11-2005, 09:08 AM

I just think this is funny since that old bitch got what was coming after all.

The fallout:

DENVER - Two teenagers whose anonymous gift of cookies sent a frightened woman to the hospital — costing the girls $930 in medical claims — have gotten donations to cover the bill and vowed Thursday to "keep giving."

AP Photo

"We aren't discouraged by this," said Taylor Ostergaard after receiving a donation.

"We felt sorry for her and we still feel sorry," Jo Zellitti added. "We didn't want to cause this lady any harm at all."

The pair, both 18, decided to bake cookies as a surprise treat for neighbors in July, placing them outside with big paper hearts stating, "Have a great night," and signed, "Love, The T and L Club."

Neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, said she heard banging on the door and saw "shadowy figures" who didn't answer her calls. Frightened, she spent the night at her sister's, and then went to the hospital the next day with an upset stomach, still shaking from fear.

The case wound up in court, with a judge earlier this month declining to award punitive damages but ordering the girls to pay Young's medical bills.

In the aftermath, the girls became minor celebrities — a cookie company even created a "kindness cookie" in their honor — and received donations to pay the medical claims.

Young and her husband, Herb, say they've been hit by a backlash.

"We have got horrendous phone calls, tons of hate mail, threats to our life," Herb Young said in a telephone interview Thursday.

"I don't believe the girls meant for this to happen. But they could have prevented it from happening if they had just shut their mouths when they came out of (small claims) court. Now they are caught in something they can't control."

The parents of one of the teens asked for a restraining order against Herb Young, accusing him of making harassing calls.

He admitted calling the Ostergaards once after hearing the teens were talking to a newspaper, and at one point saying "the gloves (are) off," which apparently was taken as a threat.

Chiefnj
02-11-2005, 09:12 AM
If the old hag was so worried, why didn't she call the police??

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 09:17 AM

Sounds fishy. Who the hell goes around knocking on peoples door at that time of night?

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I wait until they start selling the extra's. They are a bargain for a dollar a box.

CosmicPal
02-11-2005, 09:20 AM
When they brought up "...the woman was so startled..." in the beginning of the article, I was thinking the 'woman' was an elderly person. But, 49 years old!!!! You've gotta be kidding me? And in Durango, of all places...geez...if she's this scared to be alone at night- GET A FREAKIN DOG.

Iowanian
02-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Rediculous.

Those people need a hobby, and to be taunted by the local youth for the rest of thier lives. If they were where I grew up, the next package on their doorstep would be a burning feedsack full of 25lbs of fresh pucky.

ENDelt260
02-11-2005, 09:24 AM
the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

And dancing, too!

CosmicPal
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
If they would have knocked on my door at 1030PM- I would have offered for them to come in for some drinking and cursing all night.

Lzen
02-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Young and her husband, Herb, say they've been hit by a backlash.

"We have got horrendous phone calls, tons of hate mail, threats to our life," Herb Young said in a telephone interview Thursday.

"I don't believe the girls meant for this to happen. But they could have prevented it from happening if they had just shut their mouths when they came out of (small claims) court. Now they are caught in something they can't control."

:deevee: Waaaaaa!!!!!! Shut up, stupid bitch. Sounds like she got way more than she bargained for. That's what ya get for being that way.

On the original topic. I don't know if I would be eating cookied that someone laid on my doorstep in this day and age. Although it was a nice gesture, there's just too many weirdos these days to trust in something some anonymous person made for you to eat.

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Ok, on one hand, the teenagers made a poor decision. I don't care who you are, don't show up at my doorstep at night. I know 10:30 isn't that late, but some people do go to bed that early.

On the other hand, this lady is a retard and a stupid gunt. She received medical treatment for NOTHING. She obviously doesn't have health insurance, so she sued to get some more money over and beyond the cost of treatment. What a worthless skag.

ENDelt260
02-11-2005, 09:30 AM

ROFL You gotta be shitting me. How about preventing it by not taking a couple of teenage girls to court over some petty bullshit?

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 09:33 AM
DURANGO, Colo. (AP) - Two teenage girls who got in trouble for surprising their neighbors with homemade cookies will not have to pay nearly $1,000 in medical bills for a woman who says she was so startled that she had to go to the hospital.

Radio station KOA-AM of Denver raised more than $1,900 from listeners Friday to pay the girls' $930.78 fine. The rest of the money will go to a charity dedicated to victims of the Columbine High School massacre.

The story unfolded when teens Taylor Ostergaard, 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitti, decided to bake chocolate chip and sugar cookies and place them outside their neighbors' doors with large red or pink construction-paper hearts that carried the message, "Have a great night" and were signed with their first initials: "Love, The T and L Club."

The trouble began when they approached the home of Wanita Renea Young, 49. Young said she heard someone banging on the door of her rural home late in the evening. She went to the door and saw "shadowy figures" but they refused to answer when she called out to them.

The teens said they did not answer when the woman called out because they wanted the treats to be a surprise.

Young said she was so frightened, she spent the night at her sister's home, then went to the hospital the next morning because she was still shaking and had an upset stomach.

The teens offered to pay Young's medical bills but she insisted on going to small claims court. Judge Doug Walker, after hearing the teens' explanation, awarded medical costs but declined to order punitive damages.

"The victory wasn't sweet," Young said. "I'm not gloating about it. I just hope the girls learned a lesson."

Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

Wanita Young said, "This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Kclee
02-11-2005, 09:35 AM
ROFL You gotta be shitting me. How about preventing it by not taking a couple of teenage girls to court over some petty bullshit?

Exactly.

Apologies called insincere
The teenagers’ families offered to pay Young’s medical bills, but she declined and sued, saying their apologies were not sincere and were not offered in person.

Tough shit lady.

Iowanian
02-11-2005, 09:37 AM
If I were a teenager in that community......Herb and Family, would be finding themselves in a world, of shat.

I guarantee they'd be the target of every teenage board friday night prank for the next decade in southern Iowa.

They'd do themselves a favor to take themselves off of TV, stop whining and looking for sympathy and give the girls that money for their college.

Those girls should find a way to cash in on this whole deal....maybe go national with this cookie to a chain.

ENDelt260
02-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Meanwhile, Richard Ostergaard, father of Taylor, got a restraining order against Young's husband, Herb, in county court, claiming he continues to make harassing telephone calls to the Ostergaard residence.

And, another thing. Where the hell was Herb on the night in question? Was he hiding in the closet pissing his pants?

Kclee
02-11-2005, 09:40 AM
And, another thing. Where the hell was Herb on the night in question? Was he hiding in the closet pissing his pants?

He was at the dance swearing and drinking. Some dancing.

Lzen
02-11-2005, 09:44 AM
That's why I'm becoming a teacher, to mold future minds into ones that will be more like I want the world to be like. It's quite an awesome power.

Are you a teacher in Tennessee? Blond?
:hmmm:

Kerberos
02-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Hope this attachement works

Kerberos
02-11-2005, 10:23 AM

BTW: this is funny SH!T .... some of you may have already seen it !

:)

Cliff

Otter
02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
One of my best friends lives in Durango. You would be amazed at all the wierd shit like this that happens in that one horse town.

CosmicPal
02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
One of my best friends lives in Durango. You would be amazed at all the wierd shit like this that happens in that one horse town.

C'mon now, give Durango some credit- they have more than one horse

patteeu
02-11-2005, 10:31 AM
DURANGO, Colo. (AP)

Wanita Young said, "This has turned into quite a fiasco. It's something that never should have happened and it's just devastating. My phone hasn't stopped ringing. My life has been threatened and I'll probably have to move out of town."

Hopefully this wacko learned her lesson from this well-deserved blowback.

Otter
02-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Best of Durango Police Blotter (http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/05/news050102_5.htm)

Follow up to the Cookie Story (http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/05/news050211_2.htm)

Bearcat
02-11-2005, 10:44 AM
:deevee: Waaaaaa!!!!!! Shut up, stupid bitch.

Exactly..... the parents had offered to pay for the medical bills in the first place. The judge should have said "Should have taken the money, biotch, you lose!"

I'm glad there's a backlash to this crap.... death threats might be a little much, but whatever.

Bearcat
02-11-2005, 10:50 AM
"It's horrible; nobody has heard our side," said Herb Young

I wonder what the difference in punitive damage is between two girls knocking on your door, and all the backlash from suing them.

Lzen
02-11-2005, 11:25 AM

ROFL Great stuff. "where do expect me to swipe it, my ass?"

What did that come from? Conan O'Brien show?

badgirl
02-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Where did these girls come from?

When my daughter was 17 or 18, she would have never missed the chance to go dance and party to stay home and bake cookies for a bunch of old farty neighbors. :rolleyes:

BIG_DADDY
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Where did these girls come from?

When my daughter was 17 or 18, she would have never missed the chance to go dance and party to stay home and bake cookies for a bunch of old farty neighbors. :rolleyes:

That's cause she takes after her mom, party girl!!! PBJ

badgirl
02-11-2005, 11:39 AM
That's cause she takes after her mom, party girl!!! PBJ
:hmmm: yea you may have something there :p :p

Kerberos
02-11-2005, 01:03 PM
ROFL Great stuff. "where do expect me to swipe it, my ass?"

What did that come from? Conan O'Brien show?

I'm not sure ... someone emailed it to me.... It was pretty damn funny though huh !! ROFL

The rest of these cats just passed it by without a look ... I guess till I have 1,000 posts I will get ignored 75% of the time! :cuss:

Oh well I am glad someone checked it out !!

:)

Cliff