PDA

View Full Version : Black history month needs to be for a year!

Jenson71
02-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Hoping black history can move beyond February
February 5, 2005 UPDA0205

The only black county commissioner in Dallas, John Wiley Price no longer makes public appearances during Black History Month. Like some other top speakers, Price has grown weary of being in high demand for just a few weeks and then often ignored.

A few years ago, Price said, he was inundated with speaking requests. Then he realized that "black people were visible during February, but the other 11 months of the year we became the invisible people."

Backlash: Though February is still an exhilarating time for many high-profile black Americans, others see it as overwhelming. "Black history being confined to that month is more aggravating than ameliorating," said Larry Aubry, a columnist with the Los Angeles Sentinel, a black weekly. "I'm looking for more in the full 12 months."

"An industry has grown up around [Black History Month] which is really quite fascinating," said Nell Irvin Painter, a Princeton historian. Like Kwanzaa, she said, "It became a corporate holiday, a way for corporations and museums and the U.S. postal service to declare they're multicultural bona fide."

Still, despite their misgivings about Black History Month, Painter and others think it should continue. The reason: They believe black history would become even more marginalized without it.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/5224079.html

SBK
02-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Is it insulting that black history month happens to be the shortest month, and shares the month with womens history month too?

Fairplay
02-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Black history month can include January and February, i would'nt care.

When is white history month BTW?

SBK
02-05-2005, 11:42 AM

When is white history month BTW?
You're gonna be labeled a racist, but excellent point. psst.. White history month is the other 11 months of the year :deevee:

Fairplay
02-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Its a logical question. I think there should be an hispanic history month also. To be quite honest. Im not racist at all. I just like to see equality for all.

headsnap
02-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I prefer the history of mauve...

Calcountry
02-05-2005, 12:03 PM

When is white history month BTW?Who was the first President of the US anyways? We don't celebrate his birthday anymore. I guess he was marginalized.

craneref
02-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I am glad to be corrected, by I thought that Diversity is where we come from but UNITY is where we were heading. I look at America like this, a culmination of many ingredients, kind of like a cake, each ingredient dependent upon certain qualities of the other ingredients, each playing their part, none more important than the other. When a cake is done, we enjoy the cake, the blending of the ingredients into the cake being more specatular than a sum of the ingredients. We celbrate the beauty and taste of the cake, we don't stand around and say "Now those eggs in this cake are great" or "That was some really fine flour used in this cake". We may all get on the bus at different stops, but the bus is taking us all the same directions. How about a day where we clebrate being an American, oh yeah we already have the fourth of July. Whatever achievments somone makes to this country should not be elevated due to the color of their skin, I guess it all comes down to content of character. Isn't about time we start finding ways of Unifying instead of dividing. I do not consider myself a white American, a Euro-American or anything else but an American, to put any other title in front of the real privelege of "American" seems to dilute its importance to me. I know this may not be a popular rant, but then again being right is very rarely popular. PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

wazu
02-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I am glad to be corrected, by I thought that Diversity is where we come from but UNITY is where we were heading. I look at America like this, a culmination of many ingredients, kind of like a cake, each ingredient dependent upon certain qualities of the other ingredients, each playing their part, none more important than the other. When a cake is done, we enjoy the cake, the blending of the ingredients into the cake being more specatular than a sum of the ingredients. We celbrate the beauty and taste of the cake, we don't stand around and say "Now those eggs in this cake are great" or "That was some really fine flour used in this cake". We may all get on the bus at different stops, but the bus is taking us all the same directions. How about a day where we clebrate being an American, oh yeah we already have the fourth of July. Whatever achievments somone makes to this country should not be elevated due to the color of their skin, I guess it all comes down to content of character. Isn't about time we start finding ways of Unifying instead of dividing. I do not consider myself a white American, a Euro-American or anything else but an American, to put any other title in front of the real privelege of "American" seems to dilute its importance to me. I know this may not be a popular rant, but then again being right is very rarely popular. PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

Woah. That's some deep sh*t, Shane.

listopencil
02-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Bah... I'd like to see "Black History Month" ended, and all historical figures included in History class regardless of physical appearance. I don't like Affirmitive Action in the job market and I like it even less in education.

Thig Lyfe
02-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Definately... airings of Remember the Titans year round, 24/7.

I love that movie.

BroWhippendiddle
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I'd rather it be that all people would realize that there is only one race on the planet and treat all accordingly.

I don't know what good calling out a specific month to "be aware" that there are people that have different pigment in their skin.

Historic achievements should be tied to deed rather than skin color.

All men are created equal = made from the dust of the earth.

If you believe in the Bible, all men are direct descendants of Adam and Eve. (My opinion based on what I've read). Does not that make us all genetically linked?

Not to get into the evolution argument, but if evolution was the way man was created...why are we not seeing new races of humans still popping up?

craneref
02-05-2005, 10:19 PM
I understand what you are saying, but I'd rather it be that all people would realize that there is only one race on the planet and treat all accordingly.

I don't know what good calling out a specific month to "be aware" that there are people that have different pigment in their skin.

Historic achievements should be tied to deed rather than skin color.

All men are created equal = made from the dust of the earth.

If you believe in the Bible, all men are direct descendants of Adam and Eve. (My opinion based on what I've read). Does not that make us all genetically linked?

Not to get into the evolution argument, but if evolution was the way man was created...why are we not seeing new races of humans still popping up?

I was going to debate the topic of no new races of humans popping up, but then I remembered Taco John and the rest of the donkey fans are not really human, so I guess this would be Never Mind

BroWhippendiddle
02-06-2005, 06:55 AM
I was going to debate the topic of no new races of humans popping up, but then I remembered Taco John and the rest of the donkey fans are not really human, so I guess this would be Never Mind

It's the donkey fans remember? They aren't human. They are a freak of nature.

BigMeatballDave
02-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I no longer see a need for the United Negro College fund.
If someone is low income, our government has zero problems with cutting you a check for tuition and supplies...

Garcia Bronco
02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
How about Quarterly race history?

Rain Man
02-07-2005, 10:19 AM
If African Americans represent 12 percent of the population, they should technically get February and the first half of March for Black History Month. Just a thought.