PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Old Fat @## decieded that

1adam1238
02-05-2005, 10:16 AM
What a sham...these morons with this hall of sham.....

tomahawk kid
02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I have one thing to say about this:

What a f#cking joke.

I'm glad we've got 2 more old f#cks in the Hall of Fame that nobody's ever even f#cking heard of.

|Zach|
02-05-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't think it is that crazy he didnt get in first time.

WilliamTheIrish
02-05-2005, 10:44 AM
By today's standards, Thomas is simply not a first ballot HoF'er.

He needed that SB appearance.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 10:46 AM

He needed that SB appearance,

Yup.

htismaqe
02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Super Bowls are a TEAM effort.

The sham is that Steve Young got in...

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 11:41 AM
What a bunch of f*cking sh*t. I would like to tell all those fuggers who voted against DT to shove it up their ass.

Mr. Laz
02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Canton comes calling
Marino, Young, two others voted into Hall of Fame
Posted: Saturday February 5, 2005 12:41PM; Updated: Saturday February 5, 2005 1:38PM

Although he never won a Super Bowl, Dan Marino was the 1984 league MVP, made three All-Pro teams and nine Pro Bowls.
Rick Stewart/Getty Images

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Dan Marino and Steve Young made it a great day for quarterbacks when both were elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Marino, the most prolific passer in NFL history, and Young, whose accuracy and speed made him one of football's most versatile QBs, were joined Saturday by Bennie Friedman, an early-era quarterback, and Fritz Pollard.

Each received at least 80 percent of the votes from the panel of sports writers and broadcasters.

Friedman and Pollard were nominated by the senior committee and chosen by the full panel.

Induction ceremonies will be Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio.

"It's an incredible honor," Marino said. "It's humbling to think of growing up wanting to be a professional football player.

"Let's overrun Canton with Dolphins fans. I invite you all to Canton and to have some fun."

When Marino left the Miami Dolphins after the 1999 season, he had NFL bests of 4,967 completions, 8,358 passes, 61,361 yards and 420 touchdowns. His record of 48 TD passes in a season was recently broken by Peyton Manning.

Although he never won a Super Bowl, Marino was the 1984 league MVP, made three All-Pro teams and nine Pro Bowls. When he retired, he owned 21 NFL marks, including most seasons with 3,000 yards or more passing (13); most yards passing in one season (5,084 in '84, the only year he won a conference championship); and most games with 300 yards or more passing (63).

Steve Young, the first modern-era left-handed quarterback elected, won the 1995 Super Bowl with San Francisco and was the NFL's most valuable player in 1992 and '94.
AP
Young, the first modern-era left-handed quarterback elected, won the 1995 Super Bowl with San Francisco and was the league's most valuable player in 1992 and '94. A clever runner with a strong arm and great field vision, Young made seven Pro Bowls and was a three-time All-Pro. He held the highest passer rating in league history (96.8) when he retired in '99. He also set the highest single-season rating of 112.8, which Manning also broke this season.

"Not many Hall of Famers come out of Greenwich, Conn.," Young said with a chuckle. "I took a unique road, starting with being left-handed. I had a college coach, LaVell Edwards, who took a chance on a wild, crazy left-handed running quarterback from Connecticut."

Pollard not only was the first black head coach in the NFL, in 1921, but a superb player, too. A running back, he led the Akron (Ohio) Pros to the fledgling league's 1920 championship with an undefeated record.

He later organized the Chicago Brown Bombers, an independent team of black players that barnstormed the country from 1927-33.

Friedman played for four teams from 1927-34 and was one of the early NFL's great quarterbacks. A contemporary of Red Grange, he also was a strong draw at the box office. Giants owner Tim Mara purchased the Detroit Wolverines, for whom Friedman played in 1928, not only to get him in New York's lineup but to fill the stands.

"We both appreciate and honor the people who played in another era," Young said, speaking for Marino, as well. "You're talking about having a passion for the game. We're here on the backs of so many other players.

"This is important Fritz Pollard and what he meant for the game. There's a foundation there we are able to join arms with."

Michael Irvin and Harry Carson, the other two finalists, did not get the required votes for induction.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Garcia Bronco
02-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Come guys...you can't be surprised by this.....he'll get in one day.

Cochise
02-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Man not to take anything away from those guys but WTF. Two people barely anyone alive even remembers. Someone who played for freaking Akron in the 20's? Give me an effing break.

If DT doesn't belong in the hall they should f**ing implode it.

Rausch
02-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Yup.

CrazyHorse
02-05-2005, 12:19 PM

He needed that SB appearance.

You mean like Marinos Superbowl appearance?

KcMizzou
02-05-2005, 12:26 PM
You mean like Marinos Superbowl appearance?Ummm... yeah?

David.
02-05-2005, 12:36 PM

hahaha

Cochise
02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I think Marino is an exceptional situation.

Seriously, Young only played 3 full seasons, was effective in those and won a super bowl, credit him for that. But is he a greater player than Thomas?

He got the two huge bonuses, playing the QB position and winning a super bowl, that will put an above-average player into the hall, I guess.

I suppose if the Bucs hadn't handed him his arse then Rich Gannon would be a friggin first balloter too? Give me a break.

AZChief
02-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I really am not surprised that DT didn't get in on the first ballot. There's no doubt he had incredible skills, but he was one dimensional and never really showed up in the big games...

one day...

~az

edit: by "big games" I obviously mean playoffs...

HolmeZz
02-05-2005, 01:09 PM

Marino WAS in a Super Bowl. :shrug:

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 01:16 PM
I really am not surprised that DT didn't get in on the first ballot. There's no doubt he had incredible skills, but he was one dimensional and never really showed up in the big games...

one day...

~az

edit: by "big games" I obviously mean playoffs...

That's B.S. I'm so sick of hearing that "one-dimensional" crap. He didn't miss tackles. He didn't get pulled downfield like Donnie Edwards. The reason people think he was one-dimensional is that he was forced to play DE at 245 lbs part of the time, and another part of the time he had to play in coverage as an OLB in a 4-3.

Had he been at OLB in a 3-4 his whole career like LT, he would've put up even better numbers and people wouldn't have whined about him being one-dimensional. It was at OLB in 1990 that he got 20 sacks. Then 2 years later, they switched to a 4-3 and he was under-utilized pretty much the rest of his career.

IMO, the Chiefs best teams were 1990, 1995, and 1997. In the "big games" (playoffs) in those seasons, the Chiefs gave up 17 points to Marino in Miami, 10 to the Colts, and 14 to Elway in the three losses. You're saying he didn't show up those days? Gimme a break.

J Diddy
02-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Marino WAS in a Super Bowl. :shrug:

his rookie year

HolmeZz
02-05-2005, 02:02 PM
I wasn't asking. I was stating. :p

WilliamTheIrish
02-05-2005, 02:43 PM

Yea, just like Marino's.

ENDelt260
02-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Michael Irvin and Harry Carson, the other two finalists, did not get the required votes for induction.

DT wasn't a finalist?

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 03:22 PM
DT wasn't a finalist?

I thought Gretz said that they first narrow the 15 finalists down to 10, then 6. Then they do a secret yes/no vote of these 6, and if they get 80% yes votes, then they're in.

dtebbe
02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Well, I guess it's time to print my giant red with white letter T-shirts:

FU
HOF

:cuss:

DT

ENDelt260
02-05-2005, 09:21 PM
I thought Gretz said that they first narrow the 15 finalists down to 10, then 6. Then they do a secret yes/no vote of these 6, and if they get 80% yes votes, then they're in.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'm not up on all the HOF voting stuff.

PastorMikH
02-05-2005, 10:13 PM
...and never really showed up in the big games...

:spock:

You can't be serious? You throw that out there like DT didn't put forth an effort in those games. If my memory serves me correctly, there were 21 other players out there too and the 11 on the offensive side of the ball had their hands tied by their head coach.

I don't see how you can blame DT for the loses. And he was a MAJOR factor in those teams even getting to the post-season in the first place.

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 10:28 PM
I have one thing to say about this:

What a f#cking joke.

I'm glad we've got 2 more old f#cks in the Hall of Fame that nobody's ever even f#cking heard of.
One of those "old f*cks" was key to being a great man in an era in which he was horribly hindered. He was a player, the first black coach, ran a team that went undefeated and won the first NFL Championship game, and won the championship, and created the first all black league.

Instead of saying they are old f*cks that no one knows about, wouldn't you be smarter to learn something about him?

Without Pollard, players like Thomas may not have been playing at all.

Besides, those two old f*cks had nothing to do with Thomas not getting in. There is no minimum or maximum number of players admitted to the NFL HOF.

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 10:29 PM
:spock:

You can't be serious? You throw that out there like DT didn't put forth an effort in those games. If my memory serves me correctly, there were 21 other players out there too and the 11 on the offensive side of the ball had their hands tied by their head coach.

I don't see how you can blame DT for the loses. And he was a MAJOR factor in those teams even getting to the post-season in the first place.
DT was benched in a critical playoff game due to performance.

Yes, he was key in getting there, but he also had issues. He will be admitted, it will just probably be another year or two.

PastorMikH
02-05-2005, 10:32 PM
DT was benched in a critical playoff game due to performance.

I missed that one.

RedNeckRaider
02-05-2005, 10:36 PM
One of those "old f*cks" was key to being a great man in an era in which he was horribly hindered. He was a player, the first black coach, ran a team that went undefeated and won the first NFL Championship game, and won the championship, and created the first all black league.

Instead of saying they are old f*cks that no one knows about, wouldn't you be smarter to learn something about him?

Besides, those two old f*cks had nothing to do with Thomas not getting in. There is no minimum or maximum number of players admitted to the NFL HOF.
Huge rep Wolf!!! posts like this are the reason you are one of my favorite posters here!

kansas hawk
02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
think buffalo

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 10:38 PM
I missed that one.
1993 against the Bills? He was horrible. Marty was right to bench him.

tk13
02-05-2005, 10:39 PM

Actually, I do believe the limit of players to be voted in during any given year is six, so that pretty much VOIDS YOUR WHOLE POST BRAINIAC! WAY TO GO!

:)

cdcox
02-05-2005, 10:46 PM
And at least 3 have to be voted in every year.

tk13
02-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Actually, to be honest, I'm very afraid it may be 9 or 10 years until he gets in, but I worry like that... I hope I'm wrong. I think it'll get much harder to do this the longer things go on and the more he is forgotten. I sure hope not though.

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 11:04 PM
Actually, I do believe the limit of players to be voted in during any given year is six, so that pretty much VOIDS YOUR WHOLE POST BRAINIAC! WAY TO GO!

:)
Actually, only four were inducted this year, hardly voided.

And while the six man limitation is a gentleman's agreement, it is not a law of the HOF at all. The current agreement is that anywhere between 3 and 6 players will be inducted yearly.

The following years had more than 6 players inducted
and even as late as 2001 had more than 6 inductees

Please give me back my Braniac hat

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 11:05 PM
And at least 3 have to be voted in every year.
Nope, again a gentelman's agreement. There is no specific law that has a minimum or maximum number of players inducted annually.

However, only twice have 3 been inducted and no less than 3 have ever been inducted in a single year.

RedNeckRaider
02-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Nope, again a gentelman's agreement. There is no specific law that has a minimum or maximum number of players inducted annually.

However, only twice have 3 been inducted and no less than 3 have ever been inducted in a single year.
ROFL Some people play checkers and some play chess....

grandllama
02-06-2005, 01:52 AM

They needed an NFC team for the HOF game next Aug...

Ultra Peanut
02-06-2005, 07:46 AM
You know your star has faded when you're referred to as one of "two others."

tomahawk kid
02-06-2005, 08:22 AM

I was pissed and in the moment when I posted this yesterday. I regret that I referred to them as "old f#cks".

However, I think that fact that I had to look these guys up (which I did) says a little something about their HOF inductions. If they are going to continue to "right past wrongs" through the senior committee nominations, then I don't think these candidates should even be voted on. Just automatically induct them.

99.9% of the time, they get in anyway.

At did think that there was some rule that the HOF couldn't induct more than 6. Unless there was a tie of some sort, how could they induct 7 or 8 individuals if hey narrow the field to 6 after 10?

tomahawk kid
02-06-2005, 08:27 AM

Seriously, Young only played 3 full seasons, was effective in those and won a super bowl, credit him for that. But is he a greater player than Thomas?

He got the two huge bonuses, playing the QB position and winning a super bowl, that will put an above-average player into the hall, I guess.

I suppose if the Bucs hadn't handed him his arse then Rich Gannon would be a friggin first balloter too? Give me a break.

I agree with some of your logic on Steve Young.

How about, if he were to win a SuperBowl in KC, would Trent Green be a HOF (forget first ballot)?

I would say "no", but Steve Young just freaking got in.

KCWolfman
02-06-2005, 08:42 AM
I was pissed and in the moment when I posted this yesterday. I regret that I referred to them as "old f#cks".

However, I think that fact that I had to look these guys up (which I did) says a little something about their HOF inductions. If they are going to continue to "right past wrongs" through the senior committee nominations, then I don't think these candidates should even be voted on. Just automatically induct them.

99.9% of the time, they get in anyway.

At did think that there was some rule that the HOF couldn't induct more than 6. Unless there was a tie of some sort, how could they induct 7 or 8 individuals if hey narrow the field to 6 after 10?
You are right. There are several who should automatically be inducted - Credit to you. Including some of our own Chiefs.

Again, there is no HOF law stating the number of inductees has to be at least X and no more than X. It is merely a gentlemen's agreement they abide by.

IMO, There should be two induction ceremonies - One for coaches and players out of the game for more than 20 years (Hello, Hank Stram), and one for near current members of the NFL. The class of 20+ should never have more than 4 inductees but no minimum and the near current roster should have between 1 and 5 inductees.

KCWolfman
02-06-2005, 08:46 AM

Steve Young had 9 full seasons of 10 or more games starting and 5 of those seasons with 15 or more games. He also held the highest QB rating of all time until this past season.

I realize that many of us believe DT should be there today, but let's not take away from the players who have earned positions as he has.

Also keep in mind if your yardstick for NFL consideration is how many full seasons did a player start every game - DT only started 16 games in 3 seasons himself. According to you, that isn't enough.