PDA

View Full Version : The Carl Peterson Years.....1997

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 04:17 PM
9th in a series….

Veteran Additions: UFA---Elvis Grbac, Mark McMillian, Glenn Parker, Brett Perriman (then cut after 5 games), Andre Rison, Ted Popson, Kevin Ross, Marcus Spears, Ralph Tamm, Steve Wallace, Dan Williams, Terry Wooden; Street free agents---Clyde Johnson, Ty Parten, Todd Scott, Billy Joe Tolliver; Trade---Wayne Simmons

Veteran Losses: UFA---Neil Smith, Keith Traylor, Dan Saleaumua, Ricky Siglar; Retired---John Alt, Martin Bayless; Cut---Keith Cash, Mark Collins, Reggie Johnson, Sean LaChapelle, Todd McNair, Tracy Rogers, Tracy Simien, Tony Stargell, Danny Villa, Brian Washington, William White; Traded---Chris Penn

1997 Draft

1) Tony Gonzalez---Chiefs traded up to get this future Hall of Famer at #13 overall; no other players of Gonzalez’ caliber were taken after him in the 1st round

2) Kevin Lockett---decent 3rd or 4th WR, started 6 games in 4 years with the Chiefs; three safeties who started in Super Bowls were drafted later that round---Mike Minter, Darren Sharper, and Kim Herring

3) no pick; it was included in the trade to move up in the 1st round

4) Pat Barnes---never played a game for the Chiefs; solid players taken later in the round were Ryan Tucker, Seth Payne, and Alshermond Singleton

5) June Henley---never played a game for the Chiefs; CB Al Harris and TE Itula Mili were taken in the next 11 picks

6) Isaac Byrd---never played a game for the Chiefs, but became a decent WR with the Titans and Panthers later on; Falcons starting DT Ed Jasper was taken 3 picks later

7) Nate Parks---OT never played a game for the Chiefs; Jets starting DT Jason Ferguson was taken 15 picks later

1997 Starters:
E. Grbac/R. Gannon, M. Allen/G. Hill, K. Anders, J. Criswell, D. Szott, T. Grunhard, W. Shields, G. Parker, T. Popson/T. Gonzalez, A. Rison, L. Dawson
J. Browning, J. Phillips/T. Barndt, V. Booker/D. Williams, D. Thomas, A. Davis, D. Edwards, W. Simmons, D. Carter, J. Hasty, J. Woods, R. Tongue
P. Stoyanovich, L. Aguiar

Bottom line: Marty totally rebuilt the team after he missed the playoffs in ’96 for the first time in 7 seasons. Despite having 7 new starters on defense, Gunther’s group set a record by not allowing a 2nd half TD in 10 straight games. On offense, the Chiefs had a new QB, two new tackles, two new TE’s, and two new starting WR’s.

Rich Gannon became a fan favorite after replacing an injured Grbac and leading the Chiefs to an impressive winning streak, until Grbac came back for the ugly season finale against the Saints. Despite giving up only 14 points to the Denver offensive juggernaut in the playoffs, Marty/Hackett/Grbac could only put up 10 against the stout G Rob defense and the officials.

An interesting note about the 1997 season is that many of the new players who were brought in and contributed positively to the 13-3 record also ended up being some of the main culprits in subsequent losing seasons (Grbac, M. McMillian, Rison, D. Williams, W. Simmons).

Bowser
02-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Damn, did we miss on some players in that draft!

And, why in the hell did we cut Mark Collins one year after he was voted team MVP? I know Woods and Tongue went on to become a formidible safety duo, but I've always wondered that.

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Damn, did we miss on some players in that draft!

And, why in the hell did we cut Mark Collins one year after he was voted team MVP? I know Woods and Tongue went on to become a formidible safety duo, but I've always wondered that.

He was getting up there in age, but I thought he was still productive in '96. But he never started a game after we let him go.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 04:27 PM
He was getting up there in age, but I thought he was still productive in '96. But he never started a game after we let him go.

Hell, he picked off a Barry Sanders halfback pass in the endzone! You would think that should count for something!!

Deberg_1990
02-05-2005, 04:52 PM

It was the right thing to do in retrospect. Just like we should cut Woods now and go with youth again.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 04:54 PM
It was the right thing to do in retrospect. Just like we should cut Woods now and go with youth again.

I'll agree with that. But him signing a new 6 year deal 12 months ago may complicate matters somewhat.

Deberg_1990
02-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I'll agree with that. But him signing a new 6 year deal 12 months ago may complicate matters somewhat.

Sad but true.......Hindsite is 20/20 of course but we should have let both Woods and Wesley walk after last season. They both played poorly in that Indy playoff game.

shaneo69
02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Question is, was this a successful draft because we got a future Hall of Famer, or was it a bad draft because we only picked two guys who ever played a game for us (and one of them was a 2nd round bust)?

Hell, when we traded with the Oilers to move up in the 1st round, we may as well have given them all of the rest of our picks, like the Saints did to get Ricky Williams. Getting a Hall of Famer in Gonzo sure hasn't helped us win a playoff game.

ck_IN
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
<i>Question is, was this a successful draft because we got a future Hall of Famer, or was it a bad draft because we only picked two guys who ever played a game for us (and one of them was a 2nd round bust)?</i>

That seems to be typical of a CP draft. We get one good player, one so so player and the rest are wastes.

ChiefsCountry
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Too bad the Chiefs didn't have patience with those draft picks. Lockett and Byrd could have been decent WR's. Henley showed a little with the Rams, hell he could have been better than Donell "I run into my OL" Bennett. Parks played with the Faiders as a backup OL for a few years. Barnes could have been a good QB, we just never let him develop.

Rausch
02-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Too bad the Chiefs didn't have patience with those draft picks. Lockett and Byrd could have been decent WR's. Henley showed a little with the Rams, hell he could have been better than Donell "I run into my OL" Bennett. Parks played with the Faiders as a backup OL for a few years. Barnes could have been a good QB, we just never let him develop.

I thought Barnes broke some bone in his hand that never healed right and caused him to be wildly inaccurate...