PDA

View Full Version : Why we shouldn't get Ty Law.

Nightfyre
02-05-2005, 03:49 PM
1) CBs effectiveness is greatly reduced by recent league rules.
2) $10 Mil can buy a CB who is just as or a negligible amount less effective than Law plus a LB.
3) There are younger players who would be just as effective or a negligible amount less effective.
4) There are less injured players who would be just as effective or a negligible amount less effective.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 03:53 PM
I go back and forth with it. Law would be a serious upgrade at CB, and a guy that isn't afraid to come up and put a big hit on a ball carrier. But, the reasons you listed make wanting to dump money into a high priced CB seem foolish.

Bottom line is that we need to bring SOMEBODY in at CB and at LB. The only way I would not like the Law signing is if we throw too much money his way, and couldn't afford to bring another quality FA in.

Calcountry
02-05-2005, 03:54 PM
2) $10 Mil can buy a CB who is just as or a negligible amount less effective than Law plus a LB.
3) There are younger players who would be just as effective or a negligible amount less effective.
4) There are less injured players who would be just as effective or a negligible amount less effective.Because the Law won.

suds79
02-05-2005, 04:00 PM
4) There are less injured players who would be just as effective or a negligible amount less effective.

I completely agree with all of this except reason #1.

I believe that because of the rules set against CBs, that makes it all that more important to get the really good ones who can make it despite the rules.

A good CB is even more important now.

Deberg_1990
02-05-2005, 04:05 PM
regardless of the new rules and his age, Law would be a BIG TIME upgrade at that posistion. The best we have had since the Hasty and Carter era. Hes got attitude and a nose for the ball.

Nightfyre
02-05-2005, 04:06 PM

I believe that because of the rules set against CBs, that makes it all that more important to get the really good ones who can make it despite the rules.

*sigh* The rules implemented created 5% more offense NFL wide.
The passing game is all sorts of ridiculously effective now. In fact, you might notice that NEs third and fourth CBs got them to the superbowl this year. Not Ty Law.

tk13
02-05-2005, 04:07 PM

That's an interesting theory. It makes sense, although I'm not sure that's true in terms of getting the most value for your cash.

You look at the Super Bowl teams and you have the Pats that have been doing it with smoke and mirrors all year at CB, and you look at the Eagles and they have two first-time starting corners that they drafted a couple years ago.... they let their two big name FA corners walk this offseason. The Chiefs definitely need new corners, that's not even debatable, but you look at the final four teams in the playoffs and all of them were outstanding in the front seven, not just good, but outstanding. That always seems to be a common theme. You've gotta have good corners, but if your front seven can't always get it done, you end up with the Denver Broncos...

ChiefsCountry
02-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Law would bring a swagger to our defense, and that IMO would be worth it.

Nightfyre
02-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I disagree, there are cheaper players that can bring swagger. Besides, swagger is overrated.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Julian Battle has a swagger.

Chan93lx50
02-05-2005, 04:30 PM
The big key is that he would be a leader for our D, which we have been missing since DT died

Hell I would be happy with either solutions, Law or some random FA action

Sitting around will just make me barf

KcMizzou
02-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Julian Battle has a swagger. And seemingly not much else...

ChiefsCountry
02-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Law and Hartwell would upgrade our defense alot.

BigRedChief
02-05-2005, 10:00 PM
I'm not totally sold on this CB's are not valuable now because of rule changes argument.