PDA

View Full Version : NFT: If I had a nickel for every time...

BigVE
02-05-2005, 06:02 PM
...http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_020405_njnickels.html

updated: 2/4/2005
3.6 Million Missing Nickels Found, Buried in Backyard
(Miami-AP, February 4, 2005 ) Police have hit paydirt, recovering 3.6 million missing nickels that disappeared along with a trucker who was driving them on a 1,100-mile trip from New Jersey to the Federal Reserve Bank in New Orleans.

From the AP: The News in Photographs
The Day's Top 25 Stories- NY, NJ, CT, US, Entertainment
Your Hourly Forecast

Following investigative leads, authorities found the nickels buried in a 4-foot hole in the backyard of a suburban Miami home on Friday morning. The nickels, still stored in their Federal Reserve bags, were found in a wooden box, covered under plastic tarp.

"They think they're all there," said Miami-Dade police spokesman Joey Giordano.

Authorities had been searching for the trucker, Angel Ricardo Mendoza, who disappeared with the nickels. Mendoza had picked up the coins, worth $180,000, on Dec. 17 from the Federal Reserve in New Jersey.

He was to drive the nickels, weighing 45,000 pounds, to New Orleans for a trucking company subcontracted by the Federal Reserve, police said.

On Dec. 21, Mendoza's truck and trailer were found empty at a truck stop in Fort Pierce, Fla.

Mendoza is still missing, may have left the country and is considered to be a suspect, Giordano said. Investigators did not immediately release information on the owner of the single-story pale yellow house.

"There is obviously some sort of connection here but they don't know yet," Giordano said.

Police searched a smaller house in the rear of the main house and found 88 plants believed to be marijuana. (Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

BigVE
02-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Im thinking if I was going to haul off a load of money I would try for something more than bunch of nickels...but thats just me. How would you cash those in without it being completely obvious. Not a well thought out plan.