PDA

View Full Version : Dual hard disks

Cochise
02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok, this is probably not hard to do, but I've never done it so I was looking for some guidance.

Say you got a new computer, and wanted to move your files from the hard drive in your old one to the new one. I am guessing the easiest and quickest way would be to install the old hard drive into the new computer and transfer them just with windows or whatever.

I've never done this, so what are the steps involved?

If I plug it into the IDE cable the existing hard drive is on, will it just recognize it? do I need to set the jumpers or anything? Should I put them both on cable select? If so, then which one should be in which position?

I hate having the rep as the guy who can fix your computer amongst my friends :banghead:

dirk digler
02-09-2005, 03:49 PM
It depends really. If you are just transferring certain files and not the entire OS you can plug your old HD into your new PC and make sure you set the jumper to slave and your new PC should detect it. I would suggest using cable select but I would imagine that your old hard drive has your OS on it as well so it would be easier just to set your old hard drive to Slave. On your old hard drive their should be some text on it by the jumper that says slave or sl or something along those lines to let you know where the slave setting is at.

After that just move your files by dragging and dropping to your new hard drive.

If you want to move certain programs you should reinstall them, do not try to move them as it will not work.

chiefz
02-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Well, if you are looking to do nothing other than copy data files I suppose that would work but without special software you can just transfer the entire partition and expect everything to work.

That would require ghost or something like that.

To enable the drives you will want you main drive to be plugged in to the first plug of the IDE ribbon cable and set for Master, the second should be in the next plug and set for slave.

I believe most BIOS these days will auto detect the drives.

Cochise
02-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Ok. I know how to set the jumpers correctly, I just wondered if it was as simple as setting the boot disk to master, putting it in the first plug on the IDE, and setting the other one to slave and putting it on the second.

Will it automatically assign the drive letter in windows and stuff? I wouldn't have to do anything for the existing drive to 'see' the other one would I?

Another concern, the new computer is NTFS (Win XP) and the old one is going to be Win 98 (fat32). Would there be any issues there with XP being able to read the files on the other disk?

chiefz
02-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Ok. I know how to set the jumpers correctly, I just wondered if it was as simple as setting the boot disk to master, putting it in the first plug on the IDE, and setting the other one to slave and putting it on the second.

Will it automatically assign the drive letter in windows and stuff? I wouldn't have to do anything for the existing drive to 'see' the other one would I?

Another concern, the new computer is NTFS (Win XP) and the old one is going to be Win 98 (fat32). Would there be any issues there with XP being able to read the files on the other disk?

It won't read the drive unless it has been partitioned and formatted, outside of that yes, the next available drive letter will be assigned.

As far as reading the files from NTFS and FAT32 the OS will read both so I see no reason why that would matter.

dirk digler
02-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Just as long as you set the right jumpers you "should" be ok. I wouldn't think you need to change anything in the Bios.

XP will automatically assign the drive letters and XP will also see Fat32 partitions with no problems.

I have 2 HD drives in my PC, one with NTFS and the other is Fat32.

Cochise
02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Allright, I didn't think about the bios. I'll check that if the computer can't figure out that I added another disk.

Thanks!

Cochise
02-09-2005, 04:26 PM
One more thing, when we say "first plug on the IDE", does that mean the one closest to the connection to the motherboard, or does it mean the one at the end of the cable?

Just making sure I have that straight.

dirk digler
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
One more thing, when we say "first plug on the IDE", does that mean the one closest to the connection to the motherboard, or does it mean the one at the end of the cable?

Just making sure I have that straight.

In your new PC, leave the hard drive plugged into where it is already at and just plug your old HD in the available connection. It doesn't matter I don't believe.

yunghungwell
02-10-2005, 08:38 AM
After that just move your files by dragging and dropping to your new hard drive.

I was wanting to do something similar, but I read something that said if you have files with similar names in windows that there could be some problem when they are copied. What I read said that if you have long similar filenames like say myresume2000 and myresume2001 saved in different places, they might not end up in the correct place after the copy because DOS shortens the names and both files will be something like myresu~1 and myresu~2. DOS dosen't know if which file is 1 and which is 2.

Is this correct? Would it really create that much of a problem?

dirk digler
02-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I was wanting to do something similar, but I read something that said if you have files with similar names in windows that there could be some problem when they are copied. What I read said that if you have long similar filenames like say myresume2000 and myresume2001 saved in different places, they might not end up in the correct place after the copy because DOS shortens the names and both files will be something like myresu~1 and myresu~2. DOS dosen't know if which file is 1 and which is 2.

I would think it would depend on what OS you are using. If you are using XP or 2000 there is no DOS per se so it shouldn't be a problem.

nmt1
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Just use the CD drive's cable to plug in the old drive. Copy your files and then plug the CD drive back in.

nmt1
02-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Create a folder on your new drive and copy the contents of the old drive into it.