PDA

View Full Version : Adobe PDF question

Miles
02-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I need to fill out a PDF form and I really dont want to print it out and try and hunt down a typewriter. Does anyone know a way to enter information into an Adobe PDF form/application before printing it?

Thanks.

Phobia
02-10-2005, 12:08 AM
I need to fill out a PDF form and I really dont want to print it out and try and hunt down a typewriter. Does anyone know a way to enter information into an Adobe PDF form/application before printing it?

Thanks.

Yeah - you spend $300 for Acrobat. That's how Adobe gets their hooks into you.... They distribute Acrobat Reader for free - make it incredibly popular and ding the publishers for the creator.

Pants
02-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Meh, DL it.

Miles
02-10-2005, 12:30 AM
Yeah - you spend $300 for Acrobat. That's how Adobe gets their hooks into you.... They distribute Acrobat Reader for free - make it incredibly popular and ding the publishers for the creator.

I have messed around with a full version of it before...but for some reason i always thought that once the document was finished you couldnt go back and edit it. If the full version can really do it though, i should be set since i should be able find somewhere on campus where i can use it.

Phobia
02-10-2005, 12:36 AM
I have messed around with a full version of it before...but for some reason i always thought that once the document was finished you couldnt go back and edit it. If the full version can really do it though, i should be set since i should be able find somewhere on campus where i can use it.

Oh - well, I don't know then. I've never had a reason to use it myself....

I can't imagine they would make every document write protected, though. That doesn't make any sense. What if you discover an error? Start all over? Defeats the purpose of a computer, IMO.

Pants
02-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I have a full version at home (legal) and I'm pretty sure you can edit any document you want. At least that's been my experience.

Miles
02-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I have a full version at home (legal) and I'm pretty sure you can edit any document you want. At least that's been my experience.

Sweet ill give it a shot. For some reason i had thought that PDF documents that you usually see on the web (professional shit) were locked somehow and you couldnt edit them.

Pants
02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Sweet ill give it a shot. For some reason i had thought that PDF documents that you usually see on the web (professional shit) were locked somehow and you couldnt edit them.

Well, I've edited forms on the internet before, like admissions, applications and scholarships.

Miles
02-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Well, I've edited forms on the internet before, like admissions, applications and scholarships.

Excellent...admissions stuff is exacly what im trying to do. Sounds like my problem is solved. Much better then dealing with a f*cking typewriter.

Pants
02-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh, and just to be clear, I didn't edit the actual text in the forms, I filled in the blanks (underlined) and checked some boxes. But the way you fill out the blanks it looks like you can edit anything (it just inserts the text in place of the line, doesn't actually go above it, you have to underline it manually).

Miles
02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Oh, and just to be clear, I didn't edit the actual text in the forms, I filled in the blanks (underlined) and checked some boxes. But the way you fill out the blanks it looks like you can edit anything (it just inserts the text in place of the line, doesn't actually go above it, you have to underline it manually).

Yeah filling them in and checking some boxes is all im looking to do.

Ari Chi3fs
02-10-2005, 01:27 AM
you can open teh .pdf in photoshop also.

Miles
02-10-2005, 01:31 AM
you can open teh .pdf in photoshop also.

Nice...that may be even easier since i have a copy of photoshop laying around here somewhere.

OldTownChief
02-10-2005, 02:52 AM
You can open teh .pdf in photoshop also.

Depends on which version you're using. Photoshop will open .PDF but don't expect quality results and it's not useful if you transfer the file to a client. Adobe is doing everything they can to be stupid about transferring files between different versions. It can become an unbelievable nightmare if you are transferring files via FTP and the recipient doesn't have the same version of Adobe when dounloading the file. I've seen this for two years now. Depending on what you want to do with the file it may or may not be good. Bill and Adobe don't get along.