View Full Version : So long, Nellie

siberian khatru
02-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Farewell to a former Redbird and Royal. :sulk:

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/steelerchief/images/Nbriles.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1991085

Updated: Feb. 14, 2005, 2:36 AM ET

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Nellie Briles, who won two World Series titles during his 14-year career as a major league pitcher, died Sunday, the Pittsburgh Pirates said. He was 61.

Briles died suddenly while at a Pirates alumni golf tournament in Orlando, Fla., team spokesman Dan Hart said. He said he did not know the cause of death.

"The Pirates family is deeply saddened by Nellie's passing, and our thoughts are with his wife, Ginger, their children and grandchildren. Nellie was a valuable member of the Pirates organization for many years," Pittsburgh Pirates owner Kevin McClatchy said in a statement released by the team.

Briles helped the St. Louis Cardinals to a championship in 1967, going 14-5 with a 2.43 ERA and beating Boston 5-2 in Game 3 of the World Series. He also played a key role in Pittsburgh's 1971 title run, pitching a two-hit shutout in Game 5 against Baltimore.

Born Aug. 5, 1943, in Dorris, Calif., Briles also pitched for Kansas City, Texas and Baltimore in a big league career that lasted from 1965-78. He was 129-112 with a 3.44 ERA and 22 saves.

The Pirates' popular vice president of corporate projects and president of the alumni association, Briles was honored with the Pride of the Pirates award at the team's home opener last season. The award was created in 1990 to recognize lifetime service to the club.

Services will be held in Greensburg, Pa., but the date and other details had not been determined, Hart said.

Briles is survived by his wife, Ginger, four children and several grandchildren.

whoman69
02-14-2005, 09:15 AM
In two starts in 1968 WS he couldn't win one game :banghead: despite 19 wins during the season.

siberian khatru
02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
In two starts in 1968 WS he couldn't win one game :banghead: despite 19 wins during the season.

Bah. If Curt Flood doesn't misplay Northrup's fly ball into a 2-run triple, and Flood and Brock don't get picked off by Lolich in the same inning, the Cards win Game 7. Don't blame Nellie. :)

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Nelly is dead! Nelly is dead! I didn't like his music no how.

Uh....wait....nevermind

ChiTown
02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Nelly is dead! Nelly is dead! I didn't like his music no how.

Uh....wait....nevermind

Dude, what happened to the Shocks the other night? I watched the 2nd half of the game and it looked like they just ran into a couple of hot hands - especially Wright. That was a real killer for them.....

redfan
02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
He died at a golf tourney. I can think of worse ways to go...

RIP

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Dude, what happened to the Shocks the other night? I watched the 2nd half of the game and it looked like they just ran into a couple of hot hands - especially Wright. That was a real killer for them.....

I don't know. They should have won that game. This is the 2nd shitty team they have lost to. They just don't seem like they can turn the corner. Too inconsistent, no real star player. I believe Burns is the best player they have, others may say Howard. They don't have a killer instinct. But, they can play great, very streaky. And then they can stick their heads up their ass and lose to teams like Bradley and Indiana St.

I really not to sure what I think about them at this point. Only thing I know right now is that these next 4 games are going to define this team. I hope they can have the heart to come out on top.