PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Dos prompt to come up

Lzen
02-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Seeing Phil's Earthlink thread reminded me of something. On my PC at home, I'm running XP with SP2. I click the start menu and then click run. The small command window opens up for a split second and then it disappears. How can I fix this?

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Type CMD in the run line

Lzen
02-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Type CMD in the run line

How do I do that when the window pops up for a split second and then disappears>?

Donger
02-15-2005, 10:07 AM
How do I do that when the window pops up for a split second and then disappears>?

Try opening it through Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 10:17 AM

Ahh, I see... I thought you were typing the commands in the Run line. When you do that, a DOS window opens for the duration of the command, then auto-closes at the end.

Odd that the run dialog would flash off the screen like that.

Okay, lame question I know but it has to be asked, have you rebooted?

Lzen
02-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Ahh, I see... I thought you were typing the commands in the Run line. When you do that, a DOS window opens for the duration of the command, then auto-closes at the end.

Odd that the run dialog would flash off the screen like that.

Okay, lame question I know but it has to be asked, have you rebooted?

Yes, I have rebooted.

Lzen
02-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Try opening it through Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.

I will try that route when I get home this evening. Although, I doubt it will make a difference.

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Are you an administrator of the PC?
Have you recently modified the local group policy?

You need access to C:\Windows\System32\
(the actual executeable = cmd.exe)

Lzen
02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Are you an administrator of the PC?
Have you recently modified the local group policy?

You need access to C:\Windows\System32\
(the actual executeable = cmd.exe)

Yes, I'm the admin. It's just my home PC.

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Try Donger's suggestion... also try running the executeable manually by navigating to it (C:\Windows\System32\CMD.EXE) in explorer/My Computer.

Lzen
02-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Ok, thanks guys. I'll try those suggestions tonight.

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 01:21 PM
D'oh, almost forgot - if you have a Windows keyboard (in other words, your keyboard has a key with the Windows logo on it), click Windows Key + R... that opens the run command. This will tell you whether or not it's a problem with the start menu or the command itself.

chiefz
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
It sounds like it is unable to run the command from the location that your run prompt is dumping you out to.

Try typing in:

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe

From the start>run

If the command window opens type:

Path and see if c:\windows\system32 appears as an entry in your path statement.

Phobia
02-15-2005, 04:24 PM
I think you have conflicting versions of cmd.exe.

find all occurances of cmd.exe on your drive and rename the oldest to cmd1. See if cmd will work then.

KCWolfman
02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
How can I tell you to type Format C: if you can't get a DOS prompt?

Get with it!

phisherman
02-16-2005, 08:55 AM
perform a good virus scan on your machine...i know it sounds far fetched, but in the course of fixing a pc for a friend i found a worm that would shut down all kinds of stuff that you tried to open...

a dos prompt was one thing, it also would not let me open up regedit or regedt32...

they all would simply start up, stay up for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and immediately shut down...

it makes sense, from a logical perspective, for the virus to do this as if you cannot access these features, you can't remove the virus..

bp

Lzen
02-16-2005, 12:38 PM
How can I tell you to type Format C: if you can't get a DOS prompt?

Get with it!

Hey, that's my joke.
:cuss:

Lzen
02-16-2005, 12:54 PM
perform a good virus scan on your machine...i know it sounds far fetched, but in the course of fixing a pc for a friend i found a worm that would shut down all kinds of stuff that you tried to open...

a dos prompt was one thing, it also would not let me open up regedit or regedt32...

they all would simply start up, stay up for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and immediately shut down...

it makes sense, from a logical perspective, for the virus to do this as if you cannot access these features, you can't remove the virus..

bp

I understand what you're saying. But I've got Norton AV. I also have run AVG AV within the past month (I remove it when not in use - don't want conflicts with Norton). I have Lavasoft Ad Aware as well as Spybot S & D that I run about once every week or so. Plus, I have Web Patrol running. So, I don't think that's the answer.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
BTW, I still need to try all these suggestions (the non-joking ones, you bastards). Last night, I decided to finally get around to making my son's football video of his 2004 season that I have been telling I would do since last Fall. I really wish I had done all the captures of each game every week. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Frosty
02-16-2005, 01:30 PM
I understand what you're saying. But I've got Norton AV. I also have run AVG AV within the past month (I remove it when not in use - don't want conflicts with Norton). I have Lavasoft Ad Aware as well as Spybot S & D that I run about once every week or so. Plus, I have Web Patrol running. So, I don't think that's the answer.

Like phisherman, I've seen the same thing at the school that I used to support. FWIW, a recent Brian Livingston newsletter talked about a study done on the effectiveness of anti-spyware and had this to say:

In the following table, which was reviewed by Howes himself before its publication here, the Adware Fixed column represents the percentage of critical components successfully removed, not just detected, by each product (higher percentages are better). The False Positives column shows the number of benign Windows files that were incorrectly reported by a product as adware (lower numbers are better):

Product Adware Fixed False Pos.
Giant AntiSpyware 63% 0
Webroot Spy Sweeper 48% 0
Ad-Aware SE Personal 47% 0
Pest Patrol 41% 10
SpywareStormer 35% 0
Intermute SpySubtract Pro 34% 0
PC Tools Spyware Doctor 33% 0
Spybot Search & Destroy 33% 0
McAfee AntiSpyware 33% 9
Xblock X-Cleaner Deluxe 31% 1
XoftSpy 27% 3
NoAdware 24% 0
Aluria Spyware Eliminator 23% 3
OmniQuad AntiSpy 16% 1
Spyware COP 15% 0
SpyHunter 15% 1
SpyKiller 2005 15% 2

(Sorry about the formatting)

When Adaware and Spybot were run concurrently, they only caught 54%, so you might not be as clean as thought.

Have you tried downloading and running HiJackThis? It can really help clean up a lot of junk.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Like phisherman, I've seen the same thing at the school that I used to support. FWIW, a recent Brian Livingston newsletter talked about a study done on the effectiveness of anti-spyware and had this to say:

(Sorry about the formatting)

When Adaware and Spybot were run concurrently, they only caught 54%, so you might not be as clean as thought.

Have you tried downloading and running HiJackThis? It can really help clean up a lot of junk.

Hmm, interesting info. BTW, Norton also now has anti spyware. I'll try HiJackThis. Got a link?

Frosty
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Hmm, interesting info. BTW, Norton also now has anti spyware. I'll try HiJackThis. Got a link?

Highjackthis (http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html)

They also do CWShredder, which removes the CoolWebSearch highjacker, if that's ever necessary.

HC_Chief
02-16-2005, 02:59 PM
WARNING: do NOT attempt to download anything from "MajorGeeks" (one of the sites you'll get as a hit from Google on 'HijackThis') - their links are infected ;)

W32/Generic.worm!p2p

Frosty
02-16-2005, 03:01 PM
The link I posted goes right to the owner of Highjackthis, so there shouldn't be any problems there. Too bad about MajorGeeks. They seem to be everywhere.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 09:37 PM
BTW, Donger's suggestion worked. Opened up the dos prompt, no problem.

When I click start, run, and ipconfig, it just flashes and disappears. But doing it by going to the command prompt under accesories works. Weird.

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 03:56 PM
WARNING: do NOT attempt to download anything from "MajorGeeks" (one of the sites you'll get as a hit from Google on 'HijackThis') - their links are infected ;)

W32/Generic.worm!p2p

So what if a person was to have already downloaded stuff from MajorGeeks...say about 2 months ago? Does that mean that all of their downloads are infected?

go bowe
02-18-2005, 07:33 PM
omg...

all infected?

must be the plague again...

HC_Chief
02-19-2005, 10:04 AM
BTW, Donger's suggestion worked. Opened up the dos prompt, no problem.

When I click start, run, and ipconfig, it just flashes and disappears. But doing it by going to the command prompt under accesories works. Weird.

lol, you dumbass!
That's what ALWAYS happens when you type ipconfig in the run line!!! :p

Open RUN and type CMD. That should open a DOS window, then you can type ipconfig and see the results.

Lzen
02-20-2005, 08:49 AM
lol, you dumbass!
That's what ALWAYS happens when you type ipconfig in the run line!!! :p

Open RUN and type CMD. That should open a DOS window, then you can type ipconfig and see the results.

Bah, I guess I am a dumbass. ROFL