PDA

View Full Version : Time for a 3rd Party that has clout.

Marada
02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I watched partisonship on the board leading up to the election. That was to be expected. Afterwards I thought, discussion of solutions would come forth. Little did I know that partisonship has become a personal ventetta. Such effort put into proving the opposing view wrong that the business of the country becomes secondary. I say it's not the country thats divided. It's the ideology and desire to win at all costs. And that comes from a minority. In the whole, most people of common sense will if given that chance accept good ideas irregardless of the source. Maybe it's time for the Common Sense Party to be born. No left, no right, just what is in the best interests of the country and it's people. Where the past is accepted and instead of blame, solutions for what is determined to be problems are presented.

KCWolfman
02-15-2005, 08:32 PM
If people stop waiting every 4 years to vote for Libertarian candidates, this would not even be an issue. Unfortunately, those that don't follow party lines seem to forget how to vote for local elections year after year.

A third party will not start at the House and Senate level, let alone the Presidential one. Those who TRULY want a third party need to get off their asses and stop spouting rhetoric and instead get involved in local politics. Thus far, they haven't done so.

Marada
02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
A third party will not start at the House and Senate level, let alone the Presidential one. Those who TRULY want a third party need to get off their asses and stop spouting rhetoric and instead get involved in local politics. Thus far, they haven't done so.

You are so right. It would take a grassroots effort starting locally. How many times do you see small town elections where only 1 person is running. Forums like this where like minded people can band together and keep the flame burning are the answer. A long term commitment to include recruitment.

jAZ
02-15-2005, 09:55 PM
If people stop waiting every 4 years to vote for Libertarian candidates, this would not even be an issue. Unfortunately, those that don't follow party lines seem to forget how to vote for local elections year after year.

Wow, do you get more rational as the day goes on? That's what twice now that I catch myself respecting what you are saying (or how you are saying it). Both times it seems to be a post later in the evening. I figure even you get tired of playing the games all day.

Anyway, enough patting you on the back.

|Zach|
02-15-2005, 09:57 PM
I would looooove a third party.

KCWolfman
02-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Wow, do you get more rational as the day goes on? That's what twice now that I catch myself respecting what you are saying (or how you are saying it). Both times it seems to be a post later in the evening. I figure even you get tired of playing the games all day.

Anyway, enough patting you on the back.
Keep your backhanded compliments. I honestly don't need your approval.

whoman69
02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
How do 3rd party candidates that have not served in any form of elected government expect to be elected to a higher office. These people don't even try to be the mayor of Podunk Valley, but think they are qualified to be the President. They also believe they would be effective in that office despite the fact that none of their bretheren have been elected to congress or state legislatures. If a 3rd party is serious, they will have people elected at all levels of government until they start running for President.

RINGLEADER
02-16-2005, 12:16 PM
How do 3rd party candidates that have not served in any form of elected government expect to be elected to a higher office. These people don't even try to be the mayor of Podunk Valley, but think they are qualified to be the President. They also believe they would be effective in that office despite the fact that none of their bretheren have been elected to congress or state legislatures. If a 3rd party is serious, they will have people elected at all levels of government until they start running for President.

Exactly. Whoman hits the nail on the head.

If a third-party movement wants to gain real clout they need to start at the local level. Imagine congress if a third party had just 10% of the seats. There likely would be no majority in either house and everything passed would have to come through this third-party.

Part of the problem also, I believe, is that there isn't a lot of territory for a third-party to stake a claim to. Taxes? GOP. Health care issues? Dem. Defense? GOP. Jobs? Dem. Those are public perceptions that I don't see a third-party being able to muscle in on too effectively on a national basis.

Also, the third-parties always seem to be led by at least one-part bizarre candidate or one-part bizarre idea that makes them less marketable. But, again, I think the way for a third-party to gain traction and power would be to run regionally for national seats and play to a small set of regional issues.

RINGLEADER
02-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Keep your backhanded compliments. I honestly don't need your approval.

Bah! You know you dig it when Ralph Wiggums shows you the love...

Marada
02-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Exactly. Whoman hits the nail on the head.

Part of the problem also, I believe, is that there isn't a lot of territory for a third-party to stake a claim to. Taxes? GOP. Health care issues? Dem. Defense? GOP. Jobs? Dem. Those are public perceptions that I don't see a third-party being able to muscle in on too effectively on a national basis.

I don't think its so much a matter of taking a stand that one of the other parties has adopted as it is bringing the best from all into play. And identifing the underlying problem. Taxes, maybe the problem isn't taxes but the programs and size of government. Healthcare, litigation and the fact that 1 aspirin tablent costs $10 in a hospital. Job, time we recognized that we are playing in a global market and not isolate ourselves and attack the problem thinking only domestically. Either way, take a common sense stand and present it to the people. No beating around the bush playing politics to hold onto office. As originally set up it was considered every persons duty to serve in office when called and after you served a term, to go back home and continue your job. Polilotics has evolved into the dance of holding office, not solving problems. I happen to think that the time is ripe for a 3rd party to make a run. Start at the local level, As for finding experiance, I would imagine that out there are experianced people well qualified to run in higher offices. How much different is government from a major business?

Soupnazi
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
If there's one thing the republicans and democrats will fight harder against than each other, it's the formation of a competitive 3rd party.

RINGLEADER
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't think its so much a matter of taking a stand that one of the other parties has adopted as it is bringing the best from all into play. And identifing the underlying problem. Taxes, maybe the problem isn't taxes but the programs and size of government. Healthcare, litigation and the fact that 1 aspirin tablent costs $10 in a hospital. Job, time we recognized that we are playing in a global market and not isolate ourselves and attack the problem thinking only domestically. Either way, take a common sense stand and present it to the people. No beating around the bush playing politics to hold onto office. As originally set up it was considered every persons duty to serve in office when called and after you served a term, to go back home and continue your job. Polilotics has evolved into the dance of holding office, not solving problems. I happen to think that the time is ripe for a 3rd party to make a run. Start at the local level, As for finding experiance, I would imagine that out there are experianced people well qualified to run in higher offices. How much different is government from a major business?

Unfortunately, unless you want to play politics to hold onto office the chances are quite slim you'll be elected in the first place. The other problem is one of infrastructure...it's expensive to develop the infrastructure to run competitively. Unless you're an ex-wrestler or a billionaire or you switch parties after getting elected as the Republican there just aren't that many independent success stories and that's largely due to the fact that most don't have the name recognition or money necessary to mount a competitive challenge. I think most people would be amazed at the level of detail campaigns now have on voters and the costs associated with amassing that data and using it effectively. To me it is more amazing that house seats can cost $20 million to win than it is that the presidency costs a couple of billion.

Still think it would be a great idea though because it would further increase the height of the speed bump that congress needs to roll over to waste money.

Marada
02-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately, unless you want to play politics to hold onto office the chances are quite slim you'll be elected in the first place. The other problem is one of infrastructure...it's expensive to develop the infrastructure to run competitively. Unless you're an ex-wrestler or a billionaire or you switch parties after getting elected as the Republican there just aren't that many independent success stories and that's largely due to the fact that most don't have the name recognition or money necessary to mount a competitive challenge. I think most people would be amazed at the level of detail campaigns now have on voters and the costs associated with amassing that data and using it effectively. To me it is more amazing that house seats can cost $20 million to win than it is that the presidency costs a couple of billion.

Still think it would be a great idea though because it would further increase the height of the speed bump that congress needs to roll over to waste money.

Your right of course, the money needed would be enormous. I do think that could be overcome. What is more important then the money is organization. Get the core in and move outwards, taking donations as you go. But in the end, start with a strong, dedicated core.