PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using the built-in IE popup blocker with SP2?

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 10:07 AM
I had been using it, and it had been working flawlessly. Better than any of the freeware blockers.

All of the sudden now, it's letting popups through and I haven't changed anything.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed a fix for Spybot S&D so that it doesn't continuously detect the DSO exploit. That fix makes changes to the IE security zones, which could affect sites that popups are allowed from...

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Haven't used IE in over a year.

http://www.mozilla.org

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Then don't post here.

Go install Linux or something and leave the rest of us alone.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Done. Me and my fellow nerds will retire to the nerdery. We should have something for you by the end of the day.

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Done. Me and my fellow nerds will retire to the nerdery. We should have something for you by the end of the day.

ROFL

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Sorry. "Mozilla Firefox" is my default answer to any IE related question. I get tired of people saying "Linux or Mac" when someone has a problem with Windows.

The difference is Mozilla can do everything that IE does plus more. Linux/Mac can't do everything Windows does (and those who say otherwise don't play games..heh).

chiefz
02-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Then don't post here.

Now, yes I use the popup blocker and firewall from SP2.

Did you check the settings to insure that the patch you installed didn't change the popup settings?

Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Popup blocker

Make sure the "Block Popups" box is checked, also go into the settings portion and check the level of popups you are blocking and make sure the sites in question are not in the list of allowed sites.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Ha ha, Internet Explorer. You suck, ha ha!! :p

Baby Lee
02-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Then don't post here.

Don't fly off the handle you whiny little b!tch. ;)

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 02:09 PM
The difference is Mozilla can do everything that IE does

Including being exploited by malicious code.

Mozilla = 25% substance and 75% geek hype.

:D

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Now, yes I use the popup blocker and firewall from SP2.

Did you check the settings to insure that the patch you installed didn't change the popup settings?

Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Popup blocker

Make sure the "Block Popups" box is checked, also go into the settings portion and check the level of popups you are blocking and make sure the sites in question are not in the list of allowed sites.

I did all those things, but it's not working.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 02:13 PM

So how is that different from IE? At least Mozilla has added features such as the ability to install extensions, and tabbed browsing. I don't see how anyone lives without tabbed browsing...

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 02:18 PM
So how is that different from IE? At least Mozilla has added features such as the ability to install extensions, and tabbed browsing. I don't see how anyone lives without tabbed browsing...

I've never used Mozilla, so obviously I live without tabbed browsing.

Of course, when you have a 21" monitor and you can fit about 30 active apps in your taskbar, who cares?

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 02:19 PM

How is that different from IE?

Because the #1 thing people say when comparing the two is the Mozilla is "more secure".

In reality, it's LESS ATTACKED.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
How is that different from IE?

Because the #1 thing people say when comparing the two is the Mozilla is "more secure".

In reality, it's LESS ATTACKED.
That wasn't my selling point. Thats a neo-nerd selling point. I agree though, its less attacked, therefore making it "more secure..."

My favorite thing is of course tabbed browsing, followed closely by extensions.

chiefz
02-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Well if you did all of that and it STILL isn't working I would suggest rolling back service pack 2 and reinstalling it.

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Well if you did all of that and it STILL isn't working I would suggest rolling back service pack 2 and reinstalling it.

**** that.

I'll reinstall my Panicware first.

dirk digler
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
**** that.

I'll reinstall my Panicware first.

Maybe try uninstalling SpyBot. :shrug:

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Maybe try uninstalling SpyBot. :shrug:

That's what I'm going to do tonight.

I'm wondering if all the active IE protections in Spybot are actually preventing me from turning it on...

theultimatekcchiefsfan
02-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Actually I think you have that backwards. Anybody that uses firefox and cant see the obvious benefits ove that piece of crap IE is braindead.

Only statistic I need is before Firefox 3 reformats. After Firefox 0 reformats, no browser high jacks, and the fantastic tabs....................

Quit raining on our parade...................
:deevee:

htismaqe
02-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Actually I think you have that backwards. Anybody that uses firefox and cant see the obvious benefits ove that piece of crap IE is braindead.

Only statistic I need is before Firefox 3 reformats. After Firefox 0 reformats, no browser high jacks, and the fantastic tabs....................

Quit raining on our parade...................
:deevee:

I use IE.

The only browser hijacks I've EVER had were purposeful - I was testing software.

I've never had to reformat due to viruses, spyware, or other issues like that. I've done it voluntarily a few times, but that's because I can, not because I needed to.

In this industry, we call what you're experiencing PEBKAC:

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

htismaqe
02-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Well, I've figured out why the pop-up blocker is not working.

For some reason, ALL sites are being treated as part of the "Trusted" security zone.

I think I've traced this back to using Spybot S&D to "immunize".

cookster50
02-17-2005, 11:44 AM
In this industry, we call what you're experiencing PEBKAC:

Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

Or SUE, Stupid User Error.

htismaqe
02-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I figured it out.

The patch I applied to Spybot to fix the DSO Exploit bug changed the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\InternetSetting
s\ZoneMap\ProtocolDefaults\

It set the DWORD entry for HTTP to "2" which is the Trusted Zone.

By setting it to "3" (Internet Zone) it should be fixed.

htismaqe
02-18-2005, 10:32 AM
I made the change last night and that was it.

So Windows not only keeps track of Security Zones based on IP destination, but also by IP Protocol and TCP/UDP port.