02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I thought this was interesting....

enjoy

War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told
Intelligence Officials Talk Of Growing Insurgency

By Dana Priest and Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday.

"Islamic extremists are exploiting the Iraqi conflict to recruit new anti-U.S. jihadists," CIA Director Porter J. Goss told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

"These jihadists who survive will leave Iraq experienced and focused on acts of urban terrorism," he said. "They represent a potential pool of contacts to build transnational terrorist cells, groups and networks in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other countries."

On a day when the top half-dozen U.S. national security and intelligence officials went to Capitol Hill to talk about the continued determination of terrorists to strike the United States, their statements underscored the unintended consequences of the war in Iraq.

"The Iraq conflict, while not a cause of extremism, has become a cause for extremists," Goss said in his first public testimony since taking over the CIA. Goss said Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian terrorist who has joined al Qaeda since the U.S. invasion, "hopes to establish a safe haven in Iraq" from which he could operate against Western nations and moderate Muslim governments.

"Our policies in the Middle East fuel Islamic resentment," Vice Adm. Lowell E. Jacoby, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told the Senate panel. "Overwhelming majorities in Morocco, Jordan and Saudi Arabia believe the U.S. has a negative policy toward the Arab world."

Jacoby said the Iraq insurgency has grown "in size and complexity over the past year" and is now mounting an average of 60 attacks per day, up from 25 last year. Attacks on Iraq's election day last month reached 300, he said, double the previous one-day high of 150, even though transportation was virtually locked down.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told the House Armed Services Committee that he has trouble believing any of the estimates of the number of insurgents because it is so difficult to track them.

Rumsfeld said that the CIA and DIA had differing assessments at different times but that U.S. intelligence estimates of the insurgency are "considerably lower" than a recent Iraqi intelligence report of 40,000 hard-core insurgents and 200,000 part-time fighters. Rumsfeld told Rep. Ike Skelton (Mo.), the committee's ranking Democrat, that he had copies of the CIA and DIA estimates but declined to disclose them in a public session because they are classified.

"My job in the government is not to be the principal intelligence officer and try to rationalize differences between the Iraqis, the CIA and the DIA," Rumsfeld testified. "I see these reports. Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in any of them."

After the hearing, Rumsfeld told reporters that he did not mean to be "dismissive" of the intelligence reports.

"People are doing the best that can be done, and the fact is that people disagree," he said. ". . . It's not clear to me that the number is the overriding important thing."

Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the House panel that the extremists associated with al Qaeda and Zarqawi represent "a fairly small percentage of the total number of insurgents."

Sunni Arabs, dominated by former members of Saddam Hussein's Baath Party, "comprise the core of the insurgency" and continue to provide "funds and guidance across family, tribal, religious and peer-group lines," Jacoby said.

jAZ
02-16-2005, 11:46 PM
What's interesting is all of the people who denied this fact over the last few years.

If only the search function worked.

:shrug:

Pitt Gorilla
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Committee's response: Well, duh.

stevieray
02-17-2005, 12:31 AM
What's interesting is all of the people who denied this fact over the last few years.

Keep the faith Jaz, someday you'll get to stomp your foot and point out any and all legitimate "mistakes" ever made, just in time to realize you've become your dad.

Rausch
02-17-2005, 12:36 AM

War recruits terrorists, but fundamentalist Islam (the world leader in terrorism) doesn't....

:spock:

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2005, 12:37 AM

In developing news a passive pussy ass national policy promotes security through promoting an honest wholesome relationship with our mentally sound cousins in the ME. The real problem we deal with today is the Nazi media that dominates our media brainwashing the fabric of America.

jaz,

Why don't you sell your POS opinion to the local gradeschool cause nobody with an IQ over 3 is buying that crap. Come to think of it they probably aren't buying either. Maybe you and Thomas should get together and make some piroshki and knock down some vodka and talk about the good old days.

jAZ
02-17-2005, 08:09 AM
War recruits terrorists, but fundamentalist Islam (the world leader in terrorism) doesn't....

:spock:
Where did that 2nd part come from? Certainly not from me.

jAZ
02-17-2005, 08:10 AM
In developing news a passive pussy ass national policy promotes security through promoting an honest wholesome relationship with our mentally sound cousins in the ME. The real problem we deal with today is the Nazi media that dominates our media brainwashing the fabric of America.

jaz,

Why don't you sell your POS opinion to the local gradeschool cause nobody with an IQ over 3 is buying that crap. Come to think of it they probably aren't buying either. Maybe you and Thomas should get together and make some piroshki and knock down some vodka and talk about the good old days.
Again BD?

StcChief
02-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Bottom line - We are still fighting them OVER THERE.

memyselfI
02-17-2005, 08:19 AM
I thought this was interesting....

enjoy

War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told
Intelligence Officials Talk Of Growing Insurgency

By Dana Priest and Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday.

"Islamic extremists are exploiting the Iraqi conflict to recruit new anti-U.S. jihadists," CIA Director Porter J. Goss told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/gomer-pyle-10040207.jpg

"Well, suh-prise, suh-prise, suh-prise." :doh!:

jAZ
02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Bottom line - We are still fighting them OVER THERE.
Because the Iraqi people sure deserve to suffer from our battles.

Cochise
02-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Bullets need targets.

KCFalcon59
02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Bring em on!

SBK
02-17-2005, 09:41 AM

If you're so concerned where were you for the last 30 years?

The Iraqis never suffered under Saddam did they?

patteeu
02-17-2005, 10:04 AM
On the bright side, if all Iraqi's become insurgents, they won't have any innocents to hide behind.

Brock
02-17-2005, 10:14 AM

Right. Like the Iraqi people have ever been your concern.

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Bullets need targets.

NICE!!

the Talking Can
02-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Right. Like the Iraqi people have ever been your concern.
ROFL

and you cry yourself to sleep at night thinking of the Iraqi people?

that's rich....you voted for Reagan, right?

Brock
02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
ROFL

I wasn't old enough to vote for Reagan, but what does that have to do with jaz's fake concern for them now? Try to keep up, can.

Radar Chief
02-17-2005, 10:35 AM
ROFL

I care more than you do!
Nuh uh, I care more!

Whos gonna be the first to claim, I know you are but what am I? :shrug:

StcChief
02-17-2005, 11:02 AM

Ask them if they were not suffering under Saddam.....

If they didn't like being liberated, why did the come out to vote?
The could join the insurgent (terrorists) instead and attacking us?

It's everyone's battle, the rest of the world knows it but won't admit it.

Iowanian
02-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Killing Terrorists with Military force, helps eliminate those terrorists as a threat.

As for the "Iraqi People" you're so concerned about Jaz......It seems to me that its the US Troops and American Contractors rebuilding their neglected infrastructure, building and opening schools and Hospitals, allowing Girls a chance at education, and the right to vote. Its Psycho Muslim Extremist Assholes that are car bombing, executing and making life tough on the locals.

This is more reason to just drop a Tomahawk every one of those fundamentalist Madrassa schools.

InChiefsHell
02-17-2005, 11:37 AM

Soooo...there would be no terrorists trying to attack us in the world if it weren't for Bush??

...that's kinda like saying a man would never have screwed around on his wife, except for the fact that he got drunk. I submit, he'd have been doing it sooner or later.

At least now, they have to fight our guys who are armed and ready...

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2005, 01:28 PM
So, what war was the US involved in when 4 airliners were hijacked and crashed resulting in 3000 deaths on our soil?

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2005, 01:29 PM
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/gomer-pyle-10040207.jpg

"Well, suh-prise, suh-prise, suh-prise." :doh!:Gunt