PDA

View Full Version : I'll open the floor to questions now.. But only from democrats.

Joe Seahawk
02-17-2005, 05:24 PM
King County is such a joke! :shake:

CAO opponents crash meeting - Democrats had hoped to keep county executive's appearance to themselves
2005-02-17
by Jamie Swift
Journal Reporter

ISSAQUAH -- Fifth District Democrats, fearing a mob of rural property owners angry over the recently passed Critical Areas Ordinance, chose not to publicly advertise a Wednesday night meeting fearing opponents would crash the event.

And crash they did.

About 30 protesters -- who feel their rights to do what they wish with their property have been infringed -- surrounded King County Executive Ron Sims as he arrived at the meeting at the King County Library Service Center on Newport Way.

Sims kept his eyes straight ahead and did not address the protesters, who carried signs that read, ``They can't have 65 percent of my land,'' and shouted at him as he walked up a few steps and into the building.

``It's not your land; it's our land,'' they yelled. ``Tell the truth, Ron.'' ``Good house training, Ron.''

The protesters were allowed to attend the meeting, but were told not to bring their signs inside. Once inside, they helped themselves to the M&M cookies and coffee the Democrats had set out.

A woman sitting in the back of the room said: ``This is going to be an interesting meeting.''

No `Jerry Springer Show'

In a Feb. 3 e-mail, the chair of the 5th District Democrats wrote to other Democrats, ``We don't want this event to be confused with `The Jerry Springer Show.'''

Democrats had hoped to ``pack the floor with over a hundred Democrats so that any vocal GOP opposition that shows up can be kept under control,'' according to the e-mail.

It didn't happen. Sims was not on his home court; those angry with him made up at least half of the audience.

Demonstrator Ron Ewart of Fall City summed up the situation this way: ``It's city folk ruling rural folk.''

Presentation proceeds

Sims gave his planned presentation on King County's Critical Areas Ordinance, outlining its history, its intent and its merits.

Protesters snickered and sneered, then voiced their displeasure when it was announced Sims would be taking just three questions, and only from Democrats.
``Ah, Ron, you're going to take the heat for this,'' protester Robert Larsen boldly shouted out of turn.

``I'm used to that,'' Sims quipped.

But a curve ball was thrown when the final question was asked by a woman who turned out to be a Democrat no longer.

``I was a Democrat until September,'' said Cherri Mann, her throat quivering. ``I walked the walk and I talked the talk.''

Mann proceeded to explain to Sims that her five-acre Bear Creek property is ``worthless'' now, because of the strict development limitations of the CAO.

Mann said she needs to get an $800 permit to pick raspberries on her property, and her dog can only run free on two acres of the land.

``My property is worthless,'' she said. ``How can government overstep so much?''

Sims said he would take her phone number and investigate her case.

Then a long-haired man in the back stood up.

``It's not just her,'' he said. ``She speaks for thousands of us.''

Sims briskly made his way out the door and to his car as the Democrats thanked him and applauded him.

Larsen wasn't satisfied.

``His back is against the wall,'' Larsen said. ``His house of cards is collapsing. He didn't expect hundreds and thousands of people to call him on this communistic taking (of land). This may be the end of Ron Sims.''
Jamie Swift can be reached at jamie.swift@kingcountyjournal.com or 253-872-6646.

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/186153

Taco John
02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
That's crazy.

Taco John
02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Of course, I will note that it's interesting to see you call it a joke when it's the Democrats doing it, but haven't once spoke out about Bush's use of the same practice...

The land stuff is crazy, but when the president is setting the example, I'm not suprised to see local democrats adopting the same tactics.

WilliamTheIrish
02-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey the Greenpeace protestors could take a hint from these King County folk.

Garcia Bronco
02-19-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't understand what this is about.

Joe Seahawk
02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I don't understand what this is about.

People who own 5 acres or more of land in King County are rightfully pissed about the Land ordinance passed by the Seattle democrat controlled King County Council..

Basically, it prohibits you from touching 65% of your own land.. It's the most blatant, unfair, land grab in the history of the state.. If you live in rural King County and own more than 5 acres your land value went down drastically (without compensation) with the passage of this ordinance....

I live in the Seattle City limits, so it doesn't affect me at all, but it still angers me greatly..

Joe Seahawk
02-19-2005, 12:57 AM
While the County is telling the rural owners that it must not allow them to touch 65% of their land, they are selling land they own and issuing permits to developers.. :banghead:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/211155_gasworks08.html

Michael Michigan
02-19-2005, 12:58 AM
While the County is telling the rural owners that it must not allow them to touch 65% of their land, they are selling land they own and issuing permits to developers.. :banghead:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/211155_gasworks08.html

How the hell do you stay there?

Oh--and check your PM's.

Joe Seahawk
02-19-2005, 01:19 AM
How the hell do you stay there?

Oh--and check your PM's.

I dig the weather I guess.. Anyway, the King County Council is getting lambasted lately and it's kind of fun to watch..

I checked my PM's thanks.. :thumb:

Taco John
02-19-2005, 02:30 AM
What a cluster****.

Embarassing. The ordinance is doing exactly the opposite of what they wanted it to. Morons.

Cochise
02-19-2005, 12:48 PM
You know, most of the time I think that the legislative implications of the environmentalist lobby and liberalism are just silly and unnecessary, and when it comes down to it don't have that huge of an effect on my life.

But this is a cut and dried case of government theivery. A war was fought so people would be free from this. People rode on ships and died of scurvy and are buried along the pioneer trails and spilled their blood in war all over New England because they were willing to die to have a place where they could own a little bit of land, and call themselves free.

Now, I understand that it's important for the state to preserve order and keep someone from a few activities on their own property, but when you can't let your dog run on your land, or pick your own berries, it's starting to resemble the colonial situation more than America.

StcChief
02-20-2005, 12:09 PM
So when is that fault going to move a slide the left coast into ocean? Can't wait.

beavis
02-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Of course, I will note that it's interesting to see you call it a joke when it's the Democrats doing it, but haven't once spoke out about Bush's use of the same practice...

The land stuff is crazy, but when the president is setting the example, I'm not suprised to see local democrats adopting the same tactics.
Where do you come up with this stuff?