PDA

View Full Version : Bush Admin introducing Extascy for combat stress

Taco John
02-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Ecstasy trials for combat stress

David Adam, science correspondent
Thursday February 17, 2005
The Guardian

American soldiers traumatised by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are to be offered the drug ecstasy to help free them of flashbacks and recurring nightmares.
The US food and drug administration has given the go-ahead for the soldiers to be included in an experiment to see if MDMA, the active ingredient in ecstasy, can treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

Scientists behind the trial in South Carolina think the feelings of emotional closeness reported by those taking the drug could help the soldiers talk about their experiences to therapists. Several victims of rape and sexual abuse with post-traumatic stress disorder, for whom existing treatments are ineffective, have been given MDMA since the research began last year.

Michael Mithoefer, the psychiatrist leading the trial, said: "It's looking very promising. It's too early to draw any conclusions but in these treatment-resistant people so far the results are encouraging.

"People are able to connect more deeply on an emotional level with the fact they are safe now."

He is about to advertise for war veterans who fought in the last five years to join the study.

According to the US national centre for post-traumatic stress disorder, up to 30% of combat veterans suffer from the condition at some point in their lives.

Known as shell shock during the first world war and combat fatigue in the second, the condition is characterised by intrusive memories, panic attacks and the avoidance of situations which might force sufferers to relive their wartime experiences.

Dr Mithoefer said the MDMA helped people discuss traumatic situations without triggering anxiety.

"It appears to act as a catalyst to help people move through whatever's been blocking their success in therapy."

The existing drug-assisted therapy sessions last up to eight hours, during music is played. The patients swallow a capsule containing a placebo or 125mg of MDMA - about the same or a little more than a typical ecstasy tablet.

Psychologists assess the patients before and after the trial to judge whether the drug has helped.

The study has provoked controversy, because significant doubts remain about the long-term risks of ecstasy.

Animal studies suggest that it lowers levels of the brain chemical serotonin, and some politicians and anti-drug campaigners have argued that research into possible medical benefits of illegal drugs presents a falsely reassuring message.

The South Carolina study marks a resurgence of interest in the use of controlled psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs. Several studies in the US are planned or are under way to investigate whether MDMA, LSD and psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, can treat conditions ranging from obsessive compulsive disorder to anxiety in terminal cancer patients.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1416073,00.html

Taco John
02-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Bush Admin eats the babies...

Rausch
02-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Bush Admin eats the babies...

Love it or hate it, this is the most progressive idea the Bush admin has had to date.

I'm astonished...

Taco John
02-17-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm sure they're not just drugging up and having orgies. Well, except the ones in Abu Ghraib...

Suprising to see the Bush Admin embrace ecxtasy as a drug with medicinal value.

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Ecstasy trials for combat stress

David Adam, science correspondent
Thursday February 17, 2005
The Guardian

The South Carolina study marks a resurgence of interest in the use of controlled psychedelic and hallucinogenic drugs. Several studies in the US are planned or are under way to investigate whether MDMA, LSD and psilocybin, the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, can treat conditions ranging from obsessive compulsive disorder to anxiety in terminal cancer patients.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1416073,00.html

Let's see the lack of outcry from the RWNJs and how 'acceptable' this is...

and yet, if it were Iraqis 'giving' it to our troops to help them 'cope' with being POWs the same RWNJs would go ballastic. Just more apologizing and enabling the abhorrent conduct of this adminstration and their failed war policy.

Also, imagine the teenagers lining up to be recruited when they are told they too might be used for 'drug trials' and as patriotic American soldiers could be paid to take LSD or shrooms.

http://www2.tltc.ttu.edu/thomas/classPet/1998/guinea%20pig/guinea2.jpg

whoman69
02-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Love it or hate it, this is the most progressive idea the Bush admin has had to date.

I'm astonished...
Its a public relations nightmare. I have to think they believed it would not come out.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 10:06 AM
I didn't see the word Bush in the whole article. Says the food and drug administration is conducting a trial.

And even if it were the admin, I don't have a problem with this. The same people in here high-fiving each other would want them to allow anyone to treat glaucoma with marijuana. How is this any different?

Nothing wrong with doing a study to see if a drug has some practical application. :shrug:

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:22 AM
I didn't see the word Bush in the whole article. Says the food and drug administration is conducting a trial.

And even if it were the admin, I don't have a problem with this. The same people in here high-fiving each other would want them to allow anyone to treat glaucoma with marijuana. How is this any different?

Nothing wrong with doing a study to see if a drug has some practical application. :shrug:

ROFL

priceless.

FWIW, the drugs they are talking about are in a completely different category than marijuana...

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 11:26 AM
ROFL

priceless.

FWIW, the drugs they are talking about are in a completely different category than marijuana...

Thanks for that input Dr. Laura, I’m sure without your enlightenment we’d all be wondering how to smoke X. :rolleyes:

jAZ
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM

I'm astonished...
No kidding.

Pretty soon Bush will be (should be) pushing for legalzied Medical Marijana.

SBK
02-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Let's see the lack of outcry from the RWNJs and how 'acceptable' this is...

and yet, if it were Iraqis 'giving' it to our troops to help them 'cope' with being POWs the same RWNJs would go ballastic. Just more apologizing and enabling the abhorrent conduct of this adminstration and their failed war policy.

Also, imagine the teenagers lining up to be recruited when they are told they too might be used for 'drug trials' and as patriotic American soldiers could be paid to take LSD or shrooms.

http://www2.tltc.ttu.edu/thomas/classPet/1998/guinea%20pig/guinea2.jpg
ROFL

I need to make sure I've had a few gallons of coffee before I read your "enlightened" takes on thing.

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that input Dr. Laura, I’m sure without your enlightenment we’d all be wondering how to smoke X. :rolleyes:

Oh please, I would not go ANYWHERE NEAR LSD, Shrooms, or X...

either when I was younger or at anytime up until now. Marijuana OTOH, yeah, I did and occasionally might still. The only hang up being it's illegality and not because it's dangerous in the slightest. UNLIKE the other class of drugs being mentioned.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 11:36 AM

either when I was younger or at anytime up until now. Marijuana OTOH, yeah, I did and occasionally might still. The only hang up being it's illegality and not because it's dangerous in the slightest. UNLIKE the other class of drugs being mentioned.

Um, I was posting about your “no shit Sherlock” comment that X and Uncle Herb are different.
I’m sure Cochise wouldn’t have known without you.

SBK
02-18-2005, 11:37 AM

If everyone is this country was doped up it would be such a safer, more productive place. :rolleyes:

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
If everyone is this country was doped up it would be such a safer, more productive place. :rolleyes:

They are doped up...

just ask the thriving pharmaceutical industry.

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Um, I was posting about your “no shit Sherlock” comment that X and Uncle Herb are different.
I’m sure Cochise wouldn’t have known without you.

Ah, but he made an analogy of using marijuana for medicinal use to these studies.

To my knowledge there has NOT been one proven post marijuana use psychosis and yet, I believe, that LSD has been linked to more than a few.

SBK
02-18-2005, 11:42 AM
They are doped up...

just ask the thriving pharmaceutical industry.

Evil corporation reference #1.

By the way, which company is selling pot? Or X, or shrooms, or coke or LSD for that matter?

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Evil corporation reference #1.

By the way, which company is selling pot? Or X, or shrooms, or coke or LSD for that matter?

Uh, that is my point. If it's a corporations selling mind altering drugs, cool beans, dope up the country. :thumb:

SBK
02-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Uh, that is my point. If it's a corporations selling mind altering drugs, cool beans, dope up the country. :thumb:

Another good reason not to give liberals control of the country. ROFL

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Another good reason not to give liberals control of the country. ROFL

It's bullshit. Corporations can get rich getting Americans hooked on mind altering substances but pot (which can be manufactured anywhere thus is hard to make money on or tax) is too dangerous to allow the American people access too.
:shake:

SBK
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
It's bullshit. Corporations can get rich getting Americans hooked on mind altering substances but pot (which can be manufactured anywhere thus is hard to make money on or tax) is too dangerous to allow the American people access too.

ROFL The money isn't the issue. Evil corporation reference #2.

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
ROFL The money isn't the issue. Evil corporation reference #2.

Yes, it is.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
ROFL

priceless.

What is so priceless?

Thanks for your drug expertise. I figured you for more of the crank type, though.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Do you really think that if marijuana was legalized it would remain the same type of market it is now?

Please. RJR would be churning it out like nobody's business, and for a steep discount over what your local no-bather would charge for a bag. Or do you know a lot of smokers who grow their own tobbacco?

I don't see how tobbacco or marijuana are going to be any different in terms of an economy of scale associated with their production. It'll be as cheap as cigarettes after price competition takes it down.

Clint in Wichita
02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Imagine taking a recreational drug, like X, to help reduce stress. What a novel concept.

How about making that shit available to all Americans...not just a few non-hackers from the military?

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 12:06 PM
What is so priceless?

Thanks for your drug expertise. I figured you for more of the crank type, though.

Nope. I'm all for the unaddictive types that have been safely consumed for centuries...

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Do you really think that if marijuana was legalized it would remain the same type of market it is now?

Please. RJR would be churning it out like nobody's business, and for a steep discount over what your local no-bather would charge for a bag. Or do you know a lot of smokers who grow their own tobbacco?

I don't see how tobbacco or marijuana are going to be any different in terms of an economy of scale associated with their production. It'll be as cheap as cigarettes after price competition takes it down.

If it were legalized it should NOT be corporatized.

Growing up as a teenager I knew lots of people who grew their own pot. I don't know many anymore but then I don't ask. :hmmm:

Cochise
02-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Nope. I'm all for the unaddictive types that have been safely consumed for centuries...

I'll remember that they have been safely consumed for centuries tonight when I'm hanging out with my burnout friends who have been smoking pot for 10 years and now barely have enough sense to tie their own shoes.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 12:09 PM
If it were legalized it should NOT be corporatized.

Growing up as a teenager I knew lots of people who grew their own pot. I don't know many anymore but then I don't ask. :hmmm:

How exactly are you going to keep it from being 'corporatized', and why would it be bad if it were? What's wrong with it being cheap, regulated, ensuring that it's not laced with something else, taxing it like booze, etc.,? If good is good, then more is better right?

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I'll remember that they have been safely consumed for centuries tonight when I'm hanging out with my burnout friends who have been smoking pot for 10 years and now barely have enough sense to tie their own shoes.

It was not the pot that caused this. Alcohol, perhaps. But not the pot, not alone.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 12:15 PM
It was not the pot that caused this. Alcohol, perhaps. But not the pot, not alone.

ROFL

Obviously, this isn't something that can be quantified, but there is no way in the world you can tell me that the people I know who have been smoking 3 or 4 times a day (or more) for 10-15 years turned dumb as a stump for any other reason. I know these people, I've been around them for long enough, and have observed the changes first hand. People didn't used to think that cigarettes were bad for you either.

WilliamTheIrish
02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Jesus Christ.

This sounds like a Grateful Dead concert experiment. I think it's still a Schedule I drug. (Where's my PDR?)

I'm kind of OK with these trials, but I don't think X tackles the root of the problem.

Taco John
02-18-2005, 02:04 PM

I think you entirely missed the point. The marijuana lobby can easily flip this in their favor.

RINGLEADER
02-18-2005, 02:10 PM
No kidding.

Pretty soon Bush will be (should be) pushing for legalzied Medical Marijana.

I don't know enough about ecstasy to know what to think of this, but it doesn't seem the smartest thing in the world to give drugs to people to people trained to kill other people (never mind the loaded guns).

But I'm with you on the medical marijuana thing. There's too much evidence that shows it can help a lot of people while the potential problems seem to impact a very small section of the public. Besides, the doctor I go to now can prescribe stuff a hell of a lot stronger than pot. And it's not like the government has ever been even moderately effective in the war on terror...

RINGLEADER
02-18-2005, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't say there aren't risks with MJ...it definitely is a gateway drug for some but, like I was saying, most people who would have problems with it would also have problems with alcohol addiction or opiates that most doctors don't have any problems prescribing. As long as it's a reputable doctor doing the prescribing I don't think you should limit any drugs that can help people.

Cochise
02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
And it's not like the government has ever been even moderately effective in the war on terror...

You know jAZ is going to love this "Freudian slip" ROFL

Boozer
02-18-2005, 02:15 PM
And it's not like the government has ever been even moderately effective in the war on terror...

You mean "war on drugs," right? Pick your preferred allegedly-witty retort:

1. "Lay of the bong, Cheech." or
2. "Freudian slip, eh?"

Boozer
02-18-2005, 02:16 PM
You know jAZ is going to love this "Freudian slip" ROFL

Damn you, option 1, you made me lose out to Cochise.

RINGLEADER
02-18-2005, 02:16 PM

I was going to post something similar to D-Nise (that it would be hard to justify higher prices for pot considering how cheap it is relative to other drugs that doctors prescribe) but then I thought a bit about what would happen if pot became a prescription item. It wouldn't take a week for the lawsuits to begin and the price to skyrocket.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 02:17 PM
You mean "war on drugs," right? Pick your preferred allegedly-witty retort:

1. "Lay of the bong, Cheech." or
2. "Freudian slip, eh?"

You mean “Lay off the bong”, right Cheech? ;)

memyselfI
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't say there aren't risks with MJ...it definitely is a gateway drug for some but, like I was saying, most people who would have problems with it would also have problems with alcohol addiction or opiates that most doctors don't have any problems prescribing. As long as it's a reputable doctor doing the prescribing I don't think you should limit any drugs that can help people.

True, most people who have problems with overuse of drugs or alcohol have addictive personalities/disorders and the drug, itself, is NOT the problem but rather a symptom or a means to an end.

BIG_DADDY
02-18-2005, 02:41 PM
True, most people who have problems with overuse of drugs or alcohol have addictive personalities/disorders and the drug, itself, is NOT the problem but rather a symptom or a means to an end.

Joining the military has to be getting more attractive to you every day. You get paid to take extascy and rub yourself all over ME men all day. I am sure you could have all the Sausage you can handle over there too.