PDA

View Full Version : If journalists won't point out the liars, who will?

Lefty_the_Right
02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
How objective journalism can fail to reveal the truth
Kirk Caraway, kcaraway@nevadaappeal.com
February 20, 2005

When President George W. Bush came out with his 2006 budget recently, it received a lot of attention in the press.

Too bad that most of it missed the most obvious problem with it.

While stating the budget was in line with his commitment to cut the deficit in half by 2009, Bush failed to mention the three items that weren't in the budget. First, there is the cost the war in Iraq. Next up, we have the $1 trillion (at least) price tag to privatize Social Security. And lastly, there is the continuation of the tax cuts, which are set to expire, but that Bush said he wants to make permanent.

In other words, this budget isn't very truthful. In fact, deceptive is about the nicest description you can use for it.

This is a time when I wished someone would ask the obvious question of the president: Are you really bad at math, or are you lying to us?

But of course, you won't hear that question at the next press conference. There's something about calling the president a liar on live TV that scares the willies out reporters, even when it's this blatant.

Certainly, they'll ask a much nicer question, and they will dutifully report his answer, even if it makes no sense.

That's what we call objective journalism.

You see, reporters are taught to tell all sides of the story, and present them equally. And this seems like a fair way to report the news, until the story subjects figure out how easy it is to manipulate the process.

It's really rather simple. If you are in a position of power, tell a big lie, the bigger the better, and when anyone questions you on it, attack them as biased or partisan. The press will treat each side as equal, and the lie is passed on as truth.

Reporters at some point need to realize that fairness in reporting doesn't mean ignoring truth. At some point, if you have evidence that someone likely isn't telling the truth, you have to say it.
http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20050220/OPINION/102200026

SBK
02-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Coming from a liberal this is over the top hilarious.

Lefty_the_Right
02-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Not as funny as what you said.

What are some of the big lies that liberals tell?

I can compare what you come up with to conservatives.

C'mon, it'll be fun!

SBK
02-22-2005, 08:27 AM

C'mon, it'll be fun!

Here's a start.

THE ENTIRE LIBERAL AGENDA.

Iron Chef
02-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Does anyone know a good dry rub recipe for ribs?

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 08:49 AM

C'mon, it'll be fun!

It's called politics, Einstein. Both sides (all sides) will lie, cheat, hit below the belt, to further their agenda. Gain some life experience and you'll learn that it extends past the political arena too.

SBK
02-22-2005, 09:13 AM

ROFL Buy em. Fiorellas makes one, Arthur Bryants and Gates have em too. If Im in a pinch I use Famous Daves rib rub since it's available at all stores around here.

Garcia Bronco
02-22-2005, 09:40 AM
There is no longer such a thing as objective journalism.

Radar Chief
02-22-2005, 09:55 AM

½ cup sugar and 1-cup Lowry’s Season Salt.
Simple but very tasty. :thumb:

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Here's what Ive used the last few times Ive done ribs...it's my own spin on a pretty basic recipie:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup red paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp red pepper
1 large tbsp of black powder
1 tbsp salt (sea salt if possible, but regular old mortons works fine)
1 tsp (TEASPOON) Cayenne pepper

starts off sweet, but has a kick at the end...you can add some green spices for good color on the ribs, I vary that, but this is my base. It will cover generously 3 large racks of ribs.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 10:29 AM

Reminds me of poor mans lobster. mmmmm :thumb:

Cochise
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I bought some of that Jack Stack rub, and found it very much to my liking.

Works great on burgers. Just take ground beef, work the rub all the way through the beat and toss them on the grill, or even on your Foreman. Gives you a nice spicy burger :thumb:

Radar Chief
02-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I bought some of that Jack Stack rub, and found it very much to my liking.

Works great on burgers. Just take ground beef, work the rub all the way through the beat and toss them on the grill, or even on your Foreman. Gives you a nice spicy burger :thumb:

For burgers and steaks, I like to sprinkle some Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning on them as they cook.
Gotta be carefull with it thought, it’s salty and easy to over season with it.

Radar Chief
02-22-2005, 10:39 AM
What about fish breading?
I usually use equal portions flour and corn meal with a pinch of salt.
What ‘bout you guys?

Cochise
02-22-2005, 10:48 AM
For burgers and steaks, I like to sprinkle some Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning on them as they cook.
Gotta be carefull with it thought, it’s salty and easy to over season with it.

Yeah, you can't mess with the Montreal, good stuff.

Iron Chef
02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Here's what Ive used the last few times Ive done ribs...it's my own spin on a pretty basic recipie:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup red paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp red pepper
1 large tbsp of black powder
1 tbsp salt (sea salt if possible, but regular old mortons works fine)
1 tsp (TEASPOON) Cayenne pepper

starts off sweet, but has a kick at the end...you can add some green spices for good color on the ribs, I vary that, but this is my base. It will cover generously 3 large racks of ribs.

I'll have to give it a try...sounds great

Garcia Bronco
02-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Complete utter hi-jack. :)

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 11:29 AM
What about fish breading?
I usually use equal portions flour and corn meal with a pinch of salt.
What ‘bout you guys?

Shore lunch, all the way.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Well at least you guys didn't change the subject.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Shore lunch, all the way.

I don't normally eat too much fish, what kinds do you guys like to use? How do you prepare them?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:09 PM

BCD
02-22-2005, 12:10 PM
ROFL Soon, this will be happening to all of your threads...

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
What is the best kind of beer to use for Beer Can Chicken?

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
What is the best kind of beer to use for Beer Can Chicken?

Natural Light, of course, we never use anything else around these parts :thumb:

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Natural Light, of course, we never use anything else around these parts :thumb:

I was hoping for something a wee bit more exotic...

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I was hoping for something a wee bit more exotic...

Well, that dates back to the college days I guess. The can is empty when we do it.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:27 PM

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Well, that dates back to the college days I guess. The can is empty when we do it.

Well, Ive never tried it, but plan to this spring...I figured you'd use some beer and a mixture of other things like spice and olive oil to flavor the chicken as it cooks. Im assuming you could indirect grill a BC chicken.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, Ive never tried it, but plan to this spring...I figured you'd use some beer and a mixture of other things like spice and olive oil to flavor the chicken as it cooks. Im assuming you could indirect grill a BC chicken.

Well, the way a friend of mine does it, and it turns out delicious, is that he comes up with some concoction that does have olive oil and some other sprices, and brushes it on while the chicken is cooking. I think the beer can is just there to stand it up on the grill and keep the flames off of it. He brushes it with the drunken chicken stuff many times throughout cooking, it usually comes out pretty spicy though, so most people would want to take it a little easier.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
(By the way, thanks for helping me get my post count up!

This is making it pretty easy to reach 1,000.)

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, the way a friend of mine does it, and it turns out delicious, is that he comes up with some concoction that does have olive oil and some other sprices, and brushes it on while the chicken is cooking. I think the beer can is just there to stand it up on the grill and keep the flames off of it.

Ah-ha....I had assumed the can had some liquids in it. I bought a frame to use on the chicken I got from the hardware store, so I guess I dont even need to mess with the can--guess that kind of takes the fun out of it.

Baby Lee
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Boston Market Butternut Squash

1 medium butternut squash
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Cut squash into quarters. Remove the seeds and slice off the skin, then chop the squash into 1-inch cubes. Put squash in a steamer rack in a large saucepan over boiling water and cover. Steam for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
2. When squash has cooked, use a potato masher to mash squash until smooth in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and continue mashing until everything is mixed in. Let the squash sit for at least 10 minutes so that the flavors can develop. Reheat in the microwave for a minute or so before serving. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)

Makes 4 servings.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't normally eat too much fish, what kinds do you guys like to use? How do you prepare them?

When I was in KS, crappie was alway's the best. And I still think so, but after living MN for a while, I have gotten quite a taste for Walleye too.

I take the fillets and roll in eggs, drop into paper bag full of shore lunch and shake, then place into hot oil. Don't try to cook too much fish at once, it will cool off the oil and won't cook through and through.

Of course, I love flathead too. It's the best catfish.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:57 PM
When I was in KS, crappie was alway's the best. And I still think so, but after living MN for a while, I have gotten quite a taste for Walleye too.

I take the fillets and roll in eggs, drop into paper bag full of shore lunch and shake, then place into hot oil. Don't try to cook too much fish at once, it will cool off the oil and won't cook through and through.

It's so plentiful around here that even though I don't care for fish too much, it seems to be the one I usually eat. Just battered and fried in a fryer and it comes out pretty well. Can't say that I've had walleye though.

I can eat things like salmon, but I don't like the real 'fishy' kind of stuff, if that makes any sense.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Po' mans lobster.

I use cod. But any fish that does not flake apart easily will work such as halibut.

I buy the largest cod fillets I can find. I do not thaw the fillets. I cut them into pieces about two fingers in size. I bring a 2 quart pan of water (2/3 full) to a boil. I add 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 of lowery's season salt and fish.

When the fish is done it will float. about 6 minutes.

Once again, do not over fill the pan with too much fish at once.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:01 PM
It's so plentiful around here that even though I don't care for fish too much, it seems to be the one I usually eat. Just battered and fried in a fryer and it comes out pretty well. Can't say that I've had walleye though.

I can eat things like salmon, but I don't like the real 'fishy' kind of stuff, if that makes any sense.

Yep makes total sense. I'm the same way. I don't like orange roughy type fish.

Try the Po' mans lobster. It is the best.

KCTitus
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Po' mans lobster.

I use cod. But any fish that does not flake apart easily will work such as halibut.

I buy the largest cod fillets I can find. I do not thaw the fillets. I cut them into pieces about two fingers in size. I bring a 2 quart pan of water (2/3 full) to a boil. I add 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 of lowery's season salt and fish.

When the fish is done it will float. about 6 minutes.

Once again, do not over fill the pan with too much fish at once.

Interesting...so they're not breaded?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Interesting...so they're not breaded?

Nope. Just fish meat. Serve with butter. Add starch or veggies of your choice. They will melt in your mouth.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Nope. Just fish meat. Serve with butter. Add starch or veggies of your choice. They will melt in your mouth.

Damn that does sound good. What else can you use, besides cod?

Not an experienced fish cooker.

SBK
02-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Ah-ha....I had assumed the can had some liquids in it. I bought a frame to use on the chicken I got from the hardware store, so I guess I dont even need to mess with the can--guess that kind of takes the fun out of it.

I have that same frame. Poke some holes in a can and make sure it's bout half full. Then you cook that thing indirectly and the chicken will be juicy 2 days later as your leftover sammich. :thumb:

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Damn that does sound good. What else can you use, besides cod?

Not an experienced fish cooker.

haddock and halibut. The fish should be a dense fish. (not to be confused with a liberal fish) :p

Radar Chief
02-22-2005, 01:21 PM

I’ve always used a full can of beer. It helps keep the chicken moist and gives it a mild beer flavor. Add whatever spices you think would taste good to the beer before shoving it up the birds butt.
I’ll use a can of Fosters on bigger birds just for the size of the can. You can also use an emptied coffee can though depending on the size of the fowl.

Baby Lee
02-22-2005, 01:23 PM
haddock and halibut. The fish should be a dense fish. (not to be confused with a liberal fish) :p
Hey! Take that political blather off our cooking thread.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:23 PM
At least you guys aren't changing the subject.

Radar Chief
02-22-2005, 01:26 PM

Agreed, Crappie and bass make for the best fish filets. I’ve had walleye, you can occasionally catch’em here just not very often.
I can eat flat heads, channels, blue cats and even bullheads, but they’ve gotta be flushed thoroughly or they have a heavy “fishy” taste and smell. Catfish in general are kinda trashy.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey! Take that political blather off our cooking thread.

It's a real fish, I swear!

Calcountry
02-22-2005, 02:16 PM
http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20050220/OPINION/102200026

Here ya go: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2292855&postcount=29

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Agreed, Crappie and bass make for the best fish filets. I’ve had walleye, you can occasionally catch’em here just not very often.
I can eat flat heads, channels, blue cats and even bullheads, but they’ve gotta be flushed thoroughly or they have a heavy “fishy” taste and smell. Catfish in general are kinda trashy.

Oh I like channels too. But flatheads eat live food, so I think they taste a little better.

White bass and stripers (even wipers) are darn good too.

(is it stripers or strippers?) either way, me likey both.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 02:40 PM

KCFalcon59
02-22-2005, 03:18 PM

mmmmm Crappie.....good eating. I like putting them in foil with bbq sauce, salt, pepper, and cooking them on the grill. Good stuff.

Iron Chef
02-22-2005, 03:31 PM
mmmmm Crappie.....good eating. I like putting them in foil with bbq sauce, salt, pepper, and cooking them on the grill. Good stuff.

I've never been a big fan of fish, but you guys make me want to try it more often.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
At least you guys aren't changing the subject

SBK
02-22-2005, 06:15 PM
I saw a way you could grill fish on your exhaust manifold while you drive, then get to where you're going and dinner is served.