PDA

View Full Version : RW Religious whackos target Shrek character

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM
First Tinky Winky, then Spongbob, and Buster, now the bartender in Shrek. These people have issues... ROFL I guess they won't be content until Veggie Tales rule the world. :shake:

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=984da568-5035-4088-928d-de9f7f8b5edf&page=2

Shrek character is target of traditional values religious group

John Mckay
Canadian Press

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The cross-dressing bartender, voiced by Larry King, from the film Shrek 2. (CP PHOTO/HO/DreamWorks)

TORONTO (CP) - The hit feature Shrek 2 joins the ranks of animated films to be "outed" by some Christian fundamentalists in the U.S., who charge that cross-dressing and transgender themes have made their way into the beloved kids' movie and warn parents to beware.

Although many people see the Oscar-nominated film as a humorous story about a green ogre and his true love, the Traditional Values Coalition has a different take on the animated feature.

"Shrek 2 is billed as harmless entertainment but contains subtle sexual messages," the coalition says on its website of the movie, a popular DVD rental. The group describes itself as a grassroots inter-denominational lobby with more than 43,000 member churches.

"Parents who are thinking about taking their children to see Shrek 2 may wish to consider the following."

The article then proceeds to describe one of the characters, an "evil" bartender (voiced by Larry King) who is a male-to-female transgender in transition and who expresses a sexual desire for Prince Charming.

In another identified scene, Shrek and Donkey need rescuing from a dungeon by Pinocchio and his nose, which is made to extend as an escape bridge by getting the wooden boy to lie about not wearing women's underwear.

Shrek 2 has plenty of company. Christian activists have also targeted SpongeBob SquarePants, Barney the dinosaur and Sesame Street's Bert & Ernie as children's characters who are conduits for a soft-on-gays message.

The Traditional Values Coalition report, A Gender Identity Disorder Goes Mainstream, raps DreamWorks, the maker of Shrek 2, for helping to promote crossdressing and transgenderism.

But Charles Keil, a film studies professor at the University of Toronto, says transgendered groups might also have reason to complain about being parodied.

"You have an image within a comic context that could be read either way," says Keil, who adds quickly that such humour is designed for parents anyway and goes way above the heads of the children in the audience.

"If the kids don't get it, it doesn't really matter."

Keil says the whole idea behind the Shrek movies is a general message of tolerance - that outward appearances don't matter and that it's what's underneath that counts - and such complaints defeat that larger, more important message.

"Targeting minuscule elements within a much larger work and then trying to extract from that some kind of argument that borders on the paranoid is really misconstruing the general aim of this entertainment."

So far, the coalition's "gaydar" doesn't seem to have picked up on DreamWorks' Shark Tale, in which a shark mafioso, voiced by Robert DeNiro, must come to terms with the fact he has a vegetarian son who likes to dress up as a dolphin.

But the Shrek accusation follows hot on the heels of other cases of animated characters being accused of infiltrating the minds of America's children with pro-gay messages, much to the detriment of traditional family values.

Continued

Recently, PBS was upbraided by the group Focus on the Family - and supported by the U.S. secretary of education no less - for an episode of the cartoon series Postcards From Buster, in which Buster the rabbit encounters a couple of kids with lesbian parents.

Just last month, the American Family Association took exception to the makers of a new video being distributed to thousands of U.S. elementary schools and which the organization said used characters like SpongeBob and Barney to indoctrinate children into a homosexual lifestyle.

The video is designed to coincide with National We Are Family Day in March. But what upset the AFA in particular is the We Are Family Foundation's website and a tolerance-for-diversity pledge (including sexual orientation) that children and others are asked to sign there.

It seems all of this began back in 1999 when Rev. Jerry Falwell described that purse-toting Teletubby, Tinky Winky, as a gay role model.

One wonders how far back critics could go, though, in seeing pro-homosexual context in cartoons. Remember when shotgun-toting hunter Elmer Fudd realized Bugs Bunny was in drag? He was furious, but only because he saw Bugs's cotton tail and learned he was a rabbit in disguise.

"There's all sorts of things going on in those cartoons that are pretty suggestive," concedes Keil. "But (the kids) are laughing at the pratfalls, the funny voices, the very basic humour.

"Kids at that age don't even have pre-formed notions of sexuality."

In the recent SpongeBob movie, there is a scene in which the oddball undersea character suddenly pops up in his neighbour's shower (and quickly gets the boot). It's also been pointed out that he holds hands with a pink friend and gets boating lessons from a teacher called Mr. Puff. Creator Stephen Hillenburg assured the Wall Street Journal that the sponge-man was not gay but that the show had become a gay community favourite because of the tolerant attitude displayed by the show's characters.

"Everybody is different and the show embraces that," Hillenburg said. "I always think of them as being somewhat asexual."

Keil wonders what these religious groups would accomplish if they managed to get a law passed banning any representation of untoward social behaviour in children's entertainment.

"It would still be there covertly," he argues. "What would these groups see as the ideal state of affairs?"

BigMeatballDave
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Wow. These people REALLY need to get a life...

InChiefsHell
02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
But Charles Keil, a film studies professor at the University of Toronto, says transgendered groups might also have reason to complain about being parodied.

"You have an image within a comic context that could be read either way," says Keil, who adds quickly that such humour is designed for parents anyway and goes way above the heads of the children in the audience.

"If the kids don't get it, it doesn't really matter."

This is funny. Looks like there's room for everyone to get offended...man. People need to lighten up. I watched Shrek2 with my kids. Pretty sure they are going to be all right...:rolleyes:

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Why?
They are getting what they want.

A million protestors agaisnt the invasion of Iraq were called a "focus group" by Bushco.

These people on the other hand have been given a part of the $1 BILLION "faith based" initiative.

If what you are doing is succesful, why would you change what you are doing?

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Yep, these people do need a new hobby.

But at least they aren't blowing people up on crowded buses.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
These people on the other hand have been given a part of the $1 BILLION "faith based" initiative.

Is that right, the Traditional Values Coalition, a Christian group based in Canada, is recieving some kind of federal government funding pursuant to FBI? I would like to see a source for that...

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:33 PM
I was generalizing, but I thought you could have guessed that.

I guess I overestimated your ability to think for yourself?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Maybe you didn't actually read the article to see that there was more than one group mentioned?

Cochise
02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
I was generalizing, but I thought you could have guessed that.

I guess I overestimated your ability to think for yourself?

Ah, as usual, when caught spouting complete BS that you flat out made up on the spot, say that you were 'generalizing'. And you wonder why your threads are turning into discussions of cooking techniques.

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Is that right, the Traditional Values Coalition, a Christian group based in Canada, is recieving some kind of federal government funding pursuant to FBI? I would like to see a source for that...

http://www.traditionalvalues.org/

Is this your second uninformed response in minutes?

This is NOT a Canadian based Christian based group. Have you heard of the whacko Louis Sheldon? They are HQ:

DC Office
Traditional Values Coalition
139 "C" Street, SE
Washington, DC 20003
Phone: (202) 547-8570
Fax: (202) 546-6403

California Office
Traditional Values Coalition
100 S. Anaheim Boulevard, Suite 350
Anaheim, CA 92805

Phone: (714) 520-0300
Fax: (714) 520-9602

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:43 PM
The article also mentions Focus on the Family and the American Family Association.

Are they also based in Canada?

Cochise
02-22-2005, 01:47 PM
If your statement is true, that this group has "been given a part of the $1 BILLION "faith based" initiative", then let's see your source. If you're right and weren't just making something up then I'll cop to it. That's the traditional values coalition, not whatever other groups you are trying to cloud the issue with.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM
The article also mentions Focus on the Family and the American Family Association.

Are they also based in Canada?

Are you going to make a point about the article or just bash FBI in general? And do you have proof that any of the organizations you mentioned have recieved these funds?

Same questions apply to our local terrorist too.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Are you going to make a point about the article or just bash FBI in general? And do you have proof that any of the organizations you mentioned have recieved these funds?

Same questions apply to our local terrorist too.

I'm sure he's googling furiously right now trying to find something he can claim he knew years ago.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Actually I'm waiting for you to admit that you were wrong about them being based out of Canada.

Because you obviously knew what you were talking about, right?

Don't try to hold me to stadards that you don't apply to yourself.

I know that it is the Bush republican thing to do, but I ain't a Bush republican.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
You're right, I confused them with the Canadian Family Action Counsel (or something like that) that I heard on the radio the other day protesting the sorts of things

Now, your proof of them receiving FBI funding?

Logical
02-22-2005, 02:03 PM
The Christians have a growing number of nutjobs that are quite worrisome in their illogical fears.

Baby Lee
02-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Keil wonders what these religious groups would accomplish if they managed to get a law passed banning any representation of untoward social behaviour in children's entertainment.
Geez, and I wonder what leftist groups would accomplish if they managed to get a law passed making homosexual intercourse mandatory for every citizen.

This stuff is dumb. But it's just dumb information sharing between dumb people.

Mary and Ted want to shelter their kid. That's their perogative. If they think that knowledge that media that appears to be 'kid safe' contains elements contrary to their sheltering ways should be shared with likeminded parents. That too is their perogative.

It's just the conservative version of all that "Dominos pizza gives to pro-life orgs" or "Chicken of the Sea isn't dolphin safe" chatter.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 02:14 PM
The Christians have a growing number of nutjobs that are quite worrisome in their illogical fears.

I agree with that, though I'm quite a bit less worried about Christian nutjobs than I am about nutjobs from some other religions.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Actually I'm waiting for you to admit that you were wrong about them being based out of Canada.

Because you obviously knew what you were talking about, right?

Don't try to hold me to stadards that you don't apply to yourself.

I know that it is the Bush republican thing to do, but I ain't a Bush republican.

Squiggle, squirm, run and hide.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 02:20 PM
You've never heard of xian nutjobs bombing abortion clinics or shooting doctors in the face?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Geez, and I wonder what leftist groups would accomplish if they managed to get a law passed making homosexual intercourse mandatory for every citizen.

Please provide evidence of this movement?
I am unaware of it.

Or is the conservative equivelent of :" "Dominos pizza gives to pro-life orgs" or "Chicken of the Sea isn't dolphin safe" chatter. "?

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
You've never heard of xian nutjobs bombing abortion clinics or shooting doctors in the face?

Well in our society, when anyone, left, right, or middle commits acts of violence we hunt them down, and put them where they belong. Not one Christian gets a free pass for being a Christian.

Now compare that to the ME zealots who bomb innocent people on a daily basis. What kind of culture is that? Why do left wing ideologues give them a free pass in the name of their own freedom?

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Have you seen one poster here defending the relgious right here?

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Have you seen one poster here defending the relgious right here?

Not the movement itself but many of it's views...

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Duckdog wrote: Now compare that to the ME zealots who bomb innocent people on a daily basis. What kind of culture is that? Why do left wing ideologues give them a free pass in the name of their own freedom?

You means the ones that died in the explosion?

What do you want us to do, clone their DNA, and then try and execute the clone?

Cochise
02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I guess maybe I will have to come back tomorrow to get proved wrong on that TVC getting in on the FBI programs.

Thig Lyfe
02-22-2005, 03:15 PM
WTF? How do they let this crap get past the editors? First off, Spongebob's "pink friend" is named Patrick, and his driving instructor is MRS. Puff. Dammit! What's with journalism these days?!?!

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
You means the ones that died in the explosion?

What do you want us to do, clone their DNA, and then try and execute the clone?

How about holding the culture that condons those acts responsible?

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Not the movement itself but many of it's views...

Yeah, you mean the view where we think it's wrong to murder an innocent child but think it's OK to execute guilty criminals as opposed to our polar opposites who think it's OK to murder the innocent child but not OK to execute the guilty criminal?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
How about holding the culture that condons those acts responsible?

I think that is what I was suggesting by holding the America religious right to the same standards you want to apply to others.

But I don't see you doing that.

Lzen
02-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I watched both Shrek movies with my kids. We loved 'em.

Duck Dog
02-22-2005, 04:09 PM
I think that is what I was suggesting by holding the America religious right to the same standards you want to apply to others.

But I don't see you doing that.

I hold everyone to the same standards. If you murder someone it doesn't matter what religion you are.

You know, you are barking up the wrong tree here. Try spreading your hate and intolerance on a religious site. They may actually care. No one here (that I've seen) apply's to what you are suggesting.