PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, 'Talon News' plagiarized Fox News...

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Guess ole JJGG can add plagiary to his growing list of criminal activity. I wonder if Fox News will seek prosecution. :hmmm: ROFL

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/index.php?p=112

2/22/2005
Talon News appears to have repeatedly plagiarized content from Fox News, others
Filed under: General— site admin @ 1:07 pm Email This

Talon News reporter ’serial plagiarist’

By John Byrne | RAW STORY Editor

A ‘reporter’ from Talon News, the conservative outlet which employed disgraced correspondent Jeff Gannon, appears to have repeatedly plagiarized content from other mainstream media publications, including Fox News, Reuters and The New York Times, RAW STORY has learned.

Progressive blogger Ron Brynaert first raised concern about the ‘reporter’s ‘reporting’ Feb. 6 on his blog, “Why Are We Back in Iraq?“, though his findings have received scant attention.

Brynaert documented nearly thirty examples in two articles in which Talon News correspondent Steve Roeder lifted passages, clauses and sentences from stories published by the New York Times, Fox News Channel and Reuters. RAW STORY has found another article in which Roeder lifted whole paragraphs from Fox News.

Roeder’s apparent plagiarism will likely raise new questions over the legitimacy of Talon News. Media Matters for America, a liberal watchdog group, has also noted that Talon often built articles directly from White House press releases.

In an article on President Bush’s State of the Union address published earlier this month, Roeder appears to have taken at least two paragraphs from a Fox News article posted online the same day.

Fox News’ Sharon Kehnemui Liss wrote about Bush’s proposal to modify the U.S. tax code. Talon’s Roeder penned an identical paragraph.

Fox News: “Bush also said when he gets the recommendations from a bipartisan panel he appointed to examine the tax code, he will offer a system that is ‘pro-growth, easy to understand, and fair to all.”

Talon: “Bush also said when he gets the recommendations from a bipartisan panel he appointed to examine the tax code, he will offer a system that ‘is pro-growth, easy to understand, and fair to all.”

Perhaps more damning is a paragraph that, while not identical, lists the president’s initiatives in identical order. Talon noted the same initiatives in identical order, using nearly identical language.

Fox News: “Bush won strong applause when he defined his goals for improving health care,” Fox wrote, “tax credits to help low-income workers buy insurance, a community health center in every poor county, improved information technology to prevent medical errors and unnecessary costs, association health plans for small businesses and their employees, expanded health savings accounts, and medical liability reform that will reduce health care costs.”

Talon: “Bush won strong applause when he defined his goals for improving health care,” Talon wrote, “tax credits, community health centers, improved information technology, health plans for small businesses, and medical liability reform.”

Talon News did not respond to a request for comment. All of Roeder’s articles mentioned in this piece have been scrubbed from the Talon News and GOPUSA websites. They remain, however, viewable in Google cache files.

Brynaert has found two other articles which appear to show plagiarism by Talon News. The first is an article about Teresa Heinz Kerry’s comments on First Lady Laura Bush’s employment; the second narrates the events of a move by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) to contest Ohio’s electoral votes.

Several parts of Roeder’s Heinz Kerry article mirror pieces on the same topic by Reuters and Fox News.

Fox News: “Laura Bush taught in public schools in Texas from 1968 to 1973, then got her library sciences master’s degree and worked as a school librarian until 1977, the year she married George W. Bush.”

Talon: “Laura Bush taught in public schools in Texas from 1968 to 1973, then earned a master’s degree in library sciences and worked for the following four years as a school librarian. In 1977, she married George W. Bush.”

Reuters: “Heinz Kerry, a philanthropist and heiress to a Heinz ketchup fortune of more than $500 million.”

Talon: “Heinz Kerry, a philanthropist and heiress to the Heinz ketchup fortune valued in excess of $500 million.”

Brynaert notes more:

Talon: “In the newspaper interview, Heinz Kerry, 66, said she sees her age as a benefit.”

Fox News: “In the newspaper interview, Heinz Kerry said she sees her age as a benefit — she is 66.”

Talon: “Earlier Wednesday, prior to Heinz Kerry’s apology, Hughes criticized Heinz Kerry’s remarks as “indicative of an unfortunate mind-set that seeks to divide women based on who works at home and who works outside the home.”

Fox News: “Prior to Heinz Kerry’s apology, Karen Hughes, an adviser to President Bush, criticized Heinz Kerry’s remarks as “indicative of an unfortunate mindset that seeks to divide women based on who works at home and who works outside the home.”

Brynaert observes further similarities in his blog posts. He refers to Roeder as a “serial plagiarist.”

Striking similarities also appear between an article Roeder wrote about the certification of Ohio’s electoral votes and two other articles published by mainstream outlets, one by James Dao and Sheryl Gay Stolberg of the New York Times, the other by Carl Cameron, Julie Asher and Jim Mills of Fox News.

In some circumstances, Roeder appears to have only slightly modified content from the two outlets to ensure a partisan slant.

“The challenge cast a spotlight on divisions among Democrats,” Dao and Stolberg wrote, “with party leaders and many in the rank and file distancing themselves from the effort, while black and liberal lawmakers embraced it.

“The challenge divided Democrats,” Roeder scribed. “Party leaders and many rank-and-file distanced themselves. Black and liberal lawmakers embraced it.”

Fox’s writers were imitated as well.

“Boxer said on the floor of the Senate that she joined with Jones to ’shed some light’ about the issues of reported voting irregularities in Ohio as well as election reform throughout the nation,” Fox reported.

“Boxer said on the Senate floor that she and Jones wanted to ’shed some light’ on issues of reported voting irregularities in Ohio and nationwide election reform,” Roeder echoed.

Brynaert provides more than twenty other examples in the two articles. Among them:

Talon: “Likewise, Republicans from Ohio were not pleased by the Democrats’ objection. Rep. Deborah Pryce (R-OH) called the procedural challenge an effort by ‘certain extreme elements of Sen. Kerry’s own party” to mock an election that Kerry himself conceded.’”

Fox News: “Republicans from Ohio were not pleased

by the Democrats’ objection. Rep. Deborah Pryce, R-Ohio, called the challenge an effort by ‘certain extreme elements of Senator Kerry’s own party” to mock an election that Kerry himself conceded.’”

Talon: “Most Democrats concluded Bush was the rightful winner and said the move cast a needed spotlight on voting rights. Republicans called it a waste of time.”

New York Times: “Democrats, nearly all of whom conceded that Mr. Bush was the rightful winner, said the move cast a needed spotlight on voting rights. Republicans called it a waste of time.”

The reporters named in this article could not immediately be reached for comment.

Cochise
02-22-2005, 12:27 PM
This just in - web blogs rip off other people's material

DEVASTATING!!

errr Ooops isn't this story from another web blog?

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Actually is was a story the he wrote and was reprinted.
It wasn't a diary entry.

By the way...
How many bloggers get White House Press passes?

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:36 PM
This just in - web blogs rip off other people's material

DEVASTATING!!

errr Ooops isn't this story from another web blog?

uh, not that you'd ever admit you don't know WTF you are talking about...

but his story was published, not on a blog, but in the 'news' publication he was supposedly CREDENTIALED for.

So either he was a blogger and not credentialed and got WH access or he was a credentialed 'journalist' that plagiarized other people's work...

probably when he wasn't busy with johns or posing for nude pics. :hmmm: Either way, his lifestyle was probably so busy that he didn't have TIME to do his own work hence he needed to borrow others without their permission. Or MAYBE FOX gave him permission...that would be a story. ROFL

Pick your poison.

Lefty_the_Right
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Careful MMI, this story is about Steve Roeder, not the other serial plagerist that worked for Talon "News".

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:47 PM
uh, not that you'd ever admit you don't know WTF you are talking about...

but his story was published, not on a blog, but in the 'news' publication he was supposedly CREDENTIALED for.

So either he was a blogger and not credentialed and got WH access or he was a credentialed 'journalist' that plagiarized other people's work...

probably when he wasn't busy with johns or posing for nude pics. :hmmm: Either way, his lifestyle was probably so busy that he didn't have TIME to do his own work hence he needed to borrow others without their permission. Or MAYBE FOX gave him permission...that would be a story. ROFL

Pick your poison.

Yes, this particular story is. It seemed policy for 'Talon News'. I'll find the link to the one that compared JJGGs 'writing' to other news outlets.

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Yes, this particular story is. It seemed policy for 'Talon News'. I'll find the link to the one that compared JJGGs 'writing' to other news outlets.

This isn't it but isn't this one kind of ironic and hysterical: ROFL
http://mediamatters.org/items/200501270005

Limbaugh bragged that his show inspired Talon News "reporter's" erroneous question to Bush

Nationally syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh proclaimed that he fabricated a point surfacing in a question that Talon News White House correspondent Jeff Gannon subsequently asked of President Bush at a January 26 White House press conference. Gannon asked Bush: "[H]ow are you going to work with people [Democratic leaders] who seem to have divorced themselves from reality?" prefacing the question with the assertion that Senate Minority Leader "Harry Reid was talking about [the poor having to get food in] soup lines." But Reid made no reference to soup lines. As Limbaugh noted, "Uh, Harry Reid never said 'soup lines.' That's my term for the simple way to characterize the Democrats' view of America." Limbaugh said he was "flattered and honored and proud to have a point made by this program represented in the press conference and asked by a reporter."

From the January 26 edition of The Rush Limbaugh Show:

LIMBAUGH: I now want to get to the audio sound bites of the Bush press conference today. I said earlier today in the program, shortly after we began, that somebody in the White House press corps listens to this program. It is Jeff Gannon from Talon News. Here is his question, which is a repeat, a rehash, of a precise point I made on this program yesterday and is highlighted on RushLimbaugh.com.

GANNON [from January 26 White House press conference]: Senate Democratic leaders have painted a very bleak picture of the U.S. economy: Harry Reid was talking about soup lines, and [Senator] Hillary Clinton [D-NY] was talking about the economy being on the verge of collapse. Yet in the same breath, they say that Social Security is rock solid and there's no crisis there. You've said you're going to reach out to these people. How are you going to work with people who seem to have divorced themselves from reality?

LIMBAUGH: I'm not upset by this, folks. I'm honored. I'm thrilled. Don't misunderstand. I'm not accusing anybody of anything. I just think it's fabulous here. Now, you may think that my ego is out of control. Au contraire, my friends. I have no ego. Not of the kind you're talking about, anyway, or thinking about. No, what makes me think that the reporter was listening to the program is that Harry Reid never actually said "soup lines." That is my characterization of their portrayal of America. He never actually said it. He just describes circumstances reminiscent of soup lines.
[...]

LIMBAUGH: You know, we gotta play audio sound bite No. 1. This is so great. This program yesterday was represented today in a question asked by a member of the White House press corps. Yesterday I made the point. Well, here, let me just play the cut and then I'll explain for those of you who weren't here yesterday why I am convinced that this reporter listened to this radio program yesterday and took a point made by me into that press conference today.

[replayed Gannon's question]

LIMBAUGH: The president said he's going to do what he's been always doing and that's just go straight to the American people and not allow himself to be filtered by the partisan media. Now, we made this point yesterday. I mean, Hillary is out there talking about the economy is on the verge of collapse, and Harry Reid's describing America with nobody's go to health insurance, 45 million without health insurance, wages are going down. It's horrible out there! Uh, Harry Reid never said "soup lines." That's my term for the simple way to characterize the Democrats' view of America or vision of America. They look out there and they see 1930s soup lines all over the place, but Dusty Harry [Limbaugh nicknaming Harry Reid] never actually said that yesterday, but the reporter [Gannon] attributed it to him -- and I'm not angry about this at all, folks! I'm flattered and honored and proud to have a point made by this program represented in the press conference today and asked by a reporter.

memyselfI
02-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Here ya go, Lefty. JJGG's copious use of other people's material that was published as his own.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200501280001

Talon News "reporter" lifts from GOP documents verbatim for "news reports"

Talon News Washington bureau chief and White House correspondent Jeff Gannon, who accused his colleagues in the press corps of "work[ing] off of the talking points" provided by Democrats, has used Bush administration and Republican National Committee (RNC) documents and releases in his Talon "news reports" verbatim and without attribution. In at least two of his articles, Gannon lifted more than half of the text directly from GOP "fact sheets." Moreover, as Media Matters for America has pointed out, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh proclaimed that Gannon repeated a fabricated assertion of Limbaugh's in a question he asked of President Bush at a January 26 press conference.

(edit)

Following are three examples of Gannon lifting extensively from an RNC "Fact Sheet," a White House "Fact Sheet" and directly from President Bush in his "news reports."

(they will not copy and paste in correct format so here is the link to JJGG's/Talon's use of other people's material unattributed:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200501280001)