PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense Prevails

Mr. Kotter
02-24-2005, 07:34 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/23/eveningnews/main676101.shtml

No Charges In Unarmed Iraqi Death
Feb. 23, 2005

It was a striking -- some said chilling -- moment in the battle for Iraq, captured on videotape: a wounded, un-armed Iraqi, shot to death by a U.S. Marine.

CBS News has learned that military investigators conclude there is not enough evidence to formally charge that Marine.

As CBS News Correspondent Kimberly Dozier reports, it happened during the bloody fight for Fallujah last fall. The Marines were engaged in bitter house-to-house combat with dug-in enemy fighters. ('Ambiguous and difficult circumstances dictated to investigators they could NOT conclude the soldier acted "unreasonably"'--according to the CBS radio version of the story)

When Marines ran into a mosque seeking the source of insurgent fire, they found several Iraqis wrapped in blankets.

One Marine thought he saw one of them move.

Marine: "He's F***ing faking he's dead."

Second Marine: "And he's breathing."

Marine: "He's faking he's f***ing dead!"

Navy investigators have concluded what happened next may have been justified in the heat of battle.

In a moment too graphic to show, one of the Americans fired.

"He's dead now."

The insurgents, it turned out, were unarmed -- but investigators say the Iraqi the Marine thought he saw moving could have been going for a weapon. At the very least, Navy legal experts believe the situation is ambiguous enough that no prosecutor could get a conviction.

The original video added to popular anger over the Fallujah crackdown. Many Iraqis felt Fallujah's unarmed civilians bore the brunt of the U.S. campaign.

Hundreds of homes were destroyed in the battle, and months later, much of the city is still without power or water. Many Fallujans live in makeshift refugee camps far from their homes.

When news breaks that the Marine will not be prosecuted, it will not go over well here.

It's now up to Marine commanders to decide what, if any internal action to take against the Marine. And investigators are still conducting ballistics tests to determine how the other insurgents in the mosque were killed.

©MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Iowanian
02-24-2005, 09:55 AM
good.

-1 Insurgent
+1 good Marine

Duck Dog
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Bravo. :clap:

Chalk one up for the good guys.

chiefs4me
02-24-2005, 10:08 AM
I agree...who cares what they think about him not being charged with a crime. He was doing his job. If it comes down to your life or mine...I am taking your life...weapon or not.

Cochise
02-24-2005, 10:18 AM
:clap: If the sh*tbags don't want to get shot they shouldn't be 'insurgents'

Mr. Kotter
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Anyone hazard a guess at Duhnise's response would be???

Duck Dog
02-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Anyone hazard a guess at Duhnise's response would be???

I was thinking the same thing. This thread sure seems void of all those Soldier supporting liberals around here.

Mr. Kotter
02-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing. This thread sure seems void of all those Soldier supporting liberals around here.

No kidding. Heaven forbid a soldier, doing his fuggin' job....might end up in a difficult and morally ambiguous position.

I admit I've been waiting to pounce on the first moron who tries to cast this as a "cover-up" or evidence of political, military, or "imperial" arrogance. :rolleyes:

KCWolfman
02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
I notice the usual suspects on this board are dodging this post like the plague.

Congrats to men doing their job

DenverChief
02-24-2005, 07:38 PM
I notice the usual suspects on this board are dodging this post like the plague.

And which plauge would that be? :hmmm:

Taco John
02-24-2005, 07:45 PM

Who was saying that this guy should be charged with murder, anyway? Let's lynch them, whoever they are.

Mr. Kotter
02-24-2005, 11:05 PM

Yep.

Cowards. :shake:

Mr. Kotter
02-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Who was saying that this guy should be charged with murder, anyway? Let's lynch them, whoever they are.

Duhnise for one. FTR, I'd settle for a temporary banning....say until the Raiders win their next Superbowl? :)

That's the spirit though TJ. :thumb:

Taco John
02-25-2005, 12:12 AM
She wanted him charged with Murder?

That's too much. How do you charge killing machines in a war zone with murder? They're tools of the state at that point. I can see being upset with the state. But the soldier is just doing his job. I'm sure that this all got hashed over before though...

DenverChief
02-25-2005, 12:15 AM
She wanted him charged with Murder?

That's too much. How do you charge killing machines in a war zone with murder? They're tools of the state at that point. I can see being upset with the state. But the soldier is just doing his job. I'm sure that this all got hashed over before though...

well there are rules of war...you can't do ANYTHING but I doubt this is punishable

Taco John
02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
well there are rules of war...you can't do ANYTHING but I doubt this is punishable

Well, let's put it this way... *I'M* not going to be the one to cast the first stone. Or the last one.

Duck Dog
02-25-2005, 06:55 AM

Jettio, MPM, Duhneese, to name a few.

You know, the ones that only support our soldiers when they shoot their officers.