PDA

View Full Version : What bands and/or solo artists make up

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 02:42 PM
the biggest part of your music collection?

Music and or concert DVD's included as well.

I had a fire some years back that destroyed my entire album collection so over the years I've been trying to piece it back together as of now my top three are.

ZZ Top 14 cds

Queen 13 cds 2 dvds

Bruce Springsteen 9 cds 3 dvds

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 02:44 PM
The Backstreet Boys

tk13
02-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Do box sets/double CD sets count as just one CD or can I count the multiple CD's in a collection?

Phobia
02-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Van Halen and now I can hardly stand to listen to them.

Sad, huh?

MOhillbilly
02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Steely Dan box set besides that awhole lot of everything.

morphius
I think I have more Tesla then any other band, possibly followed by Van Halen. Though I only get in the mood for VH's old stuff, and then that only seems to be in the summer when driving around with the windows down.

alanm
The Backstreet Boys
A person doesn't know if you're kidding or not. I worry about you sometimes Brian. :hmmm:

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Do box sets/double CD sets count as just one CD or can I count the multiple CD's in a collection?

I counted the multiple cd's in a collection,as my Queen boxed set is their first 8 projects.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 02:49 PM

Sad, huh?

Van halen or Vanhagar

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 02:50 PM
A person doesn't know if you're kidding or not. I worry about you sometimes Brian. :hmmm:
Backstreet Boys ownz joo!

ChiefsOne
02-25-2005, 02:52 PM
KISS because they have more albums, CDs than anyone else I have ever listened to. Motley Crue and Van Halen next, because I have all of their stuff.

alpha_omega
02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Rolling Stones

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
This will be a big surprise to longtime readers:

Yes. That includes complete Yes discography, plus Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire and Jon Anderson solo stuff. I'm at work and can't count, but it's well over 25 CDs. Lots of stuff on vinyl too, such as bootlegs. Some DVDs as well.

Close second is Genesis. Complete Genesis discography with Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford solo stuff. CD, vinyl, boot vinyl, DVD.

tk13
02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Alrighty then, including 2 CD's of rare tracks I've burned off the internet.... you take part of the Genesis "family"... Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/Mike & the Mechanics, I have 32 CD's and 8 DVD's, 2 other concerts on VHS, and 3 more live albums on cassette. I think that's it.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Alrighty then, including 2 CD's of rare tracks I've burned off the internet.... you take the entire Genesis "family"... Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel/Mike & the Mechanics, I have 32 CD's and 8 DVD's, 2 other concerts on VHS, and 3 more live albums on cassette. I think that's it.

You don't happen to have "Genesis In Concert," the 1976 film of the Seconds Out tour, on tape do you?

tk13
02-25-2005, 02:57 PM
You don't happen to have "Genesis In Concert," the 1976 film of the Seconds Out tour, on tape do you?
Nope, don't have really much of anything in the way of bootlegs like that. I'm a weakling compared to most Genesis fanatics when it comes to bootleg stuff like that. I tell people all the stuff I have and they think I'm weird, and they have no idea.... there are hundreds of things out there I don't have. What I really want is remixes and soundtrack stuff.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Sad, huh?

Yeah,I took you for more of a......hell I don't know any of their names.

I have 5 1/2 Van Halen cds the other half is VanHagar on the greatest hits.

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 03:00 PM
I think my real answer is either They Might Be Giants or Weird Al. Man, I hope it's not Weird Al... something is just not right about that.

Other than that, I just have 1-3 CDs of a bunch of different artists.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:01 PM
This will be a big surprise to longtime readers:

Yes. That includes complete Yes discography, plus Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire and Jon Anderson solo stuff. I'm at work and can't count, but it's well over 25 CDs. Lots of stuff on vinyl too, such as bootlegs. Some DVDs as well.

Close second is Genesis. Complete Genesis discography with Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford solo stuff. CD, vinyl, boot vinyl, DVD.

Do you have the Jon and Vangellis project?

I love The Friends Of Mr Cairo.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Nope, don't have really much of anything in the way of bootlegs like that. I'm a weakling compared to most Genesis fanatics when it comes to bootleg stuff like that. I tell people all the stuff I have and they think I'm weird, and they have no idea.... there are hundreds of things out there I don't have. What I really want is remixes and soundtrack stuff.

It used to be on Cinemax and USA's Night Flight in the 80s. I have a part of it recorded -- on Beta. :banghead:

I really wish whoever owns the rights would put it out on DVD. It's not a complete concert, but it's got some good stuff.

tyton75
02-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Eric Clapton, through all the different groups he's been with

Bob Seger I guess woudl be second.. and the Beatles

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Hm, let's see... I have...

TMBG:
They Might Be Giants
Lincoln
Flood
Apollo 18
John Henry
Factory Showroom
Severe Tire Damage
Miscellaneous T
Then: The Earlier Years (2 CD set)
Why Does the Sun Shine?

Weird Al:
Hm, dang... I'm not even sure. I'm looking at the discography on allmusic.com and some I have no idea if I own them or not.

I'm just gonna say TMBG wins. Yeah, that sounds good.

tk13
02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
It used to be on Cinemax and USA's Night Flight in the 80s. I have a part of it recorded -- on Beta. :banghead:

I really wish whoever owns the rights would put it out on DVD. It's not a complete concert, but it's got some good stuff.
Yeah, between record labels and different people owning different stuff, it's hard to keep track of it all. Good luck ever getting it all together, not to mentioned released.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm just gonna say TMBG wins. Yeah, that sounds good.

Sounds a helluva lot better than Weird Al.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Do you have the Jon and Vangellis project?

I love The Friends Of Mr Cairo.

Surprisingly, I don't have any Jon and Vangelis stuff. I like what I've heard, just never got around to buying it.

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Sounds a helluva lot better than Weird Al.
Exactly.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah, between record labels and different people owning different stuff, it's hard to keep track of it all. Good luck ever getting it all together, not to mentioned released.

Well you're collection is still impressive,take good care of it,I had a Zeppelin 4 album bootleg concert that I lost in the fire and to this day it hurts.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Well you're collection is still impressive,take good care of it,I had a Zeppelin 4 album bootleg concert that I lost in the fire and to this day it hurts.

:deevee:

Oh, the pain, the PAIN ...

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Surprisingly, I don't have any Jon and Vangelis stuff. I like what I've heard, just never got around to buying it.

I think I know someone that would burn a copy for you if you're interested.

jcroft
02-25-2005, 03:18 PM
For me, it's Dave Matthews Band.

beavis
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Otis Day and the Knights

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I think I know someone that would burn a copy for you if you're interested.

Sure, PM me the info and I'll put some greenbacks in an envelope if we can work something out.

CosmicPal
02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Hm, let's see... I have...

TMBG:
They Might Be Giants
Lincoln
Flood
Apollo 18
John Henry
Factory Showroom
Severe Tire Damage
Miscellaneous T
Then: The Earlier Years (2 CD set)
Why Does the Sun Shine?

Gawd, I used to love that band. Saw them in concert a couple of times-they are definately some creative and quirky musicians. I don't have any TMBG CD's, but I just might have to pick one up on the way home- you just brought back some memories... :thumb:

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
I have every CD ever done by KISS, and Billy Joel. Most of Alice Coopers and all but one of Marilyn Manson and U2's.

ChiefFripp
02-25-2005, 03:30 PM
King Crimson and the member's solo projects . I think I have around 40 King Crimson CDs and atleast 30 more albums of Adrain Belew, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, ect, ect.

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Gawd, I used to love that band. Saw them in concert a couple of times

I can distinctly remember two shows... one in KC, one in StL. For some reason I wanna say I've seen them at least one other time... but I have absolutely no recollection of the concert.

My brain is officially broken.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Most of Alice Coopers

I just joined the BMG music club last night and am finally getting Welcome To My Nightmare again,now if they only had From The Inside.

cmh6476
02-25-2005, 03:35 PM
hey nzoner, YGM. We were talking about you at dinner last night :o

ZootedGranny
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
I have 47 Bjork cds and DVDs combined, though at least 20 are singles in different formats.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:36 PM
King Crimson and the member's solo projects . I think I have around 40 King Crimson CDs and atleast 30 more albums of Adrain Belew, Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, ect, ect.

That definitely beats me. I've got all the stuff 1969-84, then it gets spotty. Do have both box sets, though. I have Fripp's "Exposure" and two Fripp and Eno albums. You must subscribe to Crimso's "boot of the month" club.

Edit: Also the Fripp and Andy Summers collaboration.

ENDelt260
02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I have 47 Bjork cds and DVDs combined, though at least 20 are singles in different formats.
Sheezus.

All the other lesbians must be impressed.

FloridaChief
Pink Floyd.

Legit CD releases:

All except P*U*L*S*E, which I'll pick-up someday, I guess...

Cd RoIO's:

Absolutely Ambient
The Azimuth Coordinator part 1
The Azimuth Coordinator part 2
The Azimuth Coordinator part 3
Behind the Wall
Boston Gardens, 18/6-1975
Childhood's End
Colmar 1974
Dogs and Sheeps
Embryo San Diego, 1971
En Chair Et En Os
Falkoner Teatret 25.09.71 (VOL.I & II)
Libest Spacement Monitor
The Man & The Journey
Meddler
Mooed Music
Raving Crazy Diamond Moon
Smoking Blues
Total Eclipse - A Retrospective 1967-1993 (Paid $100 for this 4-disc set)
The Wall Rehearsals
Yeeshkul!

DVDs:

Pink Floyd:The Wall
Live At Pompeii
Classic Album Series: Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd: The Definitive Critical Review

Plus numerous VHS's like P*U*L*S*E and Delicate Sound Of Thunder. Additionally, various untitled video RoIOs...

Rain Man
I don't have a huge collection, and multiple-disk purchases are hampered by the fact that I'll often just grab a "Greatest Hits" album and buy little else from that artist. (Those things are a bad idea for musicians, I think.)

I've got about a dozen or more Springsteen CDs, primarily because I bought a whole bunch of them for my wife for Christmas a few years back. She's a long-time fan.

Other than that, the only groups for which I have three or more CDs are The Indigo Girls, Kim Richey, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Dixie Chicks. Maybe I'm missing someone.

I've got a couple of Meat Loaf albums, and I keep looking for Midnight at the Lost and Found, which is great. I haven't found it yet, so I might just have to Amazon.com it.

CanadaKC
Springsteen, REM, Pearl Jam, U2, Nirvana, and Iron Maiden

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Sure, PM me the info and I'll put some greenbacks in an envelope if we can work something out.

Smoke sent,no greenbacks needed for a fellow Night Flight fan.

Demonpenz
02-25-2005, 03:40 PM
i used to have five or six cd's of the red hot chilli peppers, but it seems my car would get broken into every year.

ENDelt260
I have three or more CDs are The Indigo Girls

Damnit. And I've already wasted my lesbian crack.

Dr. Facebook Fever
I just joined the BMG music club last night and am finally getting Welcome To My Nightmare again,now if they only had From The Inside.
Nightmare is one of the greatest albums of all time...imo..

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 03:42 PM
wasted my lesbian crack.

That alone conjures disturbing images.

CosmicPal
02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Mine has to be the Grateful Dead- and only because I have so much of their live stuff. After which, there's no true band that I have a whole lot of, except maybe Miles Davis and Medeski, Martin, & Wood.

I've got a considerably large CD collection that includes Alternative, blues, jazz, bluegrass, and jambands....

JimNasium
02-25-2005, 04:04 PM
SRV.

CosmicPal
02-25-2005, 04:09 PM
SRV.

Nice....

I heard on the satellite radio this morning- he worked at a burger joint and fell into a vat of grease. Told himself he'd never work another day and picked up the guitar. I guess we all have to thank that burger joint.

JimNasium
02-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Nice....

I heard on the satellite radio this morning- he worked at a burger joint and fell into a vat of grease. Told himself he'd never work another day and picked up the guitar. I guess we all have to thank that burger joint.
I've got all of his commercial CDs and a bunch of bootleg stuff. I also have his first five albums on vinyl in the original shrinkwrap. I might get them framed at some point.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 04:14 PM
I've got all of his commercial CDs and a bunch of bootleg stuff. I also have his first five albums on vinyl in the original shrinkwrap. I might get them framed at some point.

Very nice.I miss my vinyl.

Have you checked out any of SRV's dvds?

JimNasium
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Very nice.I miss my vinyl.

Have you checked out any of SRV's dvds?
Yes, great stuff as well. I love watching him play. Also love watching Jimi.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Yes, great stuff as well. I love watching him play. Also love watching Jimi.

Yep,I feel the same about Billy Gibbons but as of yet ZZ has no dvds that I'm aware of.I've got their performance from last year's Rock-N-Roll HOF and that's it.

JimNasium
02-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Yep,I feel the same about Billy Gibbons but as of yet ZZ has no dvds that I'm aware of.I've got their performance from last year's Rock-N-Roll HOF and that's it.
I wonder why they are so slow to get on the DVD train? They put on an excellent live show. I'd think it would translate well to video. Have you seen Billy's guitar made from some of the Cyprus wood taken from the cabin that Muddy Waters was born in? Very, very cool. It's on display in Clarksdale Mississippi at the blues museaum.

kc rush
02-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Rush (big surprise there), Cheap Trick, Collective Soul, Rainmakers, Get Up Kids, Replacements, and the Smithereens.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I wonder why they are so slow to get on the DVD train? They put on an excellent live show. I'd think it would translate well to video. Have you seen Billy's guitar made from some of the Cyprus wood taken from the cabin that Muddy Waters was born in? Very, very cool. It's on display in Clarksdale Mississippi at the blues museaum.

I don't know but I wish the hell they'd hurry it up.

Yes,I've seen pics of it,very cool is right.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Rainmakers,

They're at the top of my list in getting replaced.

Thankfully,I've got a homemade cd of a compilation of their first three projects and a dvd of Bob and Pat playing at Malloy Brothers from last April.

kc rush
02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
They're at the top of my list in getting replaced.

Thankfully,I've got a homemade cd of a compilation of their first three projects and a dvd of Bob and Pat playing at Malloy Brothers from last April.

I had heard that Bob plays Malloy Brothers regularly. Does Pat sit in with him often?

If you haven't picked up The Beginner you should, its a good one.

Baby Lee
02-25-2005, 05:10 PM
21 Beatles
16 Led Zeppelin
14 Pearl Jam
11 Eric Clapton [13 if you count Riding with the King and Best of Cream]
11 Van Halen
11 Johnny Cash
10 Garth Brooks
9 Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops
9 Andrew Lloyd Webber
9 The Who
9 U2
8 Bob Dylan
8 Kronos Quartet
8 Radiohead

10 or so groups/artists at 6 or 7 apiece.

All statistics for CD only

Other oddities
I have The Wall on Cassette, Vinyl, CD and DVD.
I have DSOTM on Cassette, Vinyl, CD and SACD
I've bought Back in Black 5 times, and had it stolen 4.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I had heard that Bob plays Malloy Brothers regularly. Does Pat sit in with him often?

If you haven't picked up The Beginner you should, its a good one.

I really don't know how often Pat sits in,I've been down 4-5 times and he was there once.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 05:38 PM
8 Kronos Quartet

Is that the group that did Requiem For A Dream?

Baby Lee
02-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Is that the group that did Requiem For A Dream?
Yes, very 20th century stuff. Four violins, playing modern music, sometimes grating, but always intriguing. I was hooked with 'Pieces of Africa.'

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes, very 20th century stuff. Four violins, playing modern music, sometimes grating, but always intriguing. I was hooked with 'Pieces of Africa.'

I'll be checking into them further,I loved the music in Requiem.

Frosty
02-25-2005, 05:58 PM
By far, the biggest chunk would be The Cure, counting DVDs, singles and bootlegs. The next biggest chunk would be Emmylou Harris.

I also have big sets of Dead Can Dance, Frontline Assembly, Front 242, Wire, Sweethearts of the Rodeo, New Order/Joy Division, REM and Johnny Cash.

If you count LPs, add Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd (though I don't even own a turntable right now).

Baby Lee
02-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll be checking into them further,I loved the music in Requiem.
Black Angels and Pieces of Africa are their most accessible, and probably their best, stuff.
Requiem is good, and they've also performed a sound accompaniment to the original silent Dracula, scored by Philip Glass.

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Black Angels and Pieces of Africa are their most accessible, and probably their best, stuff.
Requiem is good, and they've also performed a sound accompaniment to the original silent Dracula, scored by Philip Glass.

Thanks.

Baby Lee
02-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Ironically [if my Bob and Pat, you're referring to the Matheny Bros.]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005IYU/qid=1109376352/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-7478991-0086545

ChiefFripp
02-25-2005, 06:08 PM
That definitely beats me. I've got all the stuff 1969-84, then it gets spotty. Do have both box sets, though. I have Fripp's "Exposure" and two Fripp and Eno albums. You must subscribe to Crimso's "boot of the month" club.

Edit: Also the Fripp and Andy Summers collaboration.

The King Crimson CDs I own...

1)In The Court of the Crimson King
2) In The Wake of Poseidon
3)Lizard
4)Islands
5)Lark's Toungues In Aspic
6)Starless and Bible Black
7)Red
8)Discipline
9)Beat
10)Three of a Perfect Pair
11)Thrak
12)The Construction Of Light
13)The Power To Believe
14)Sleepless:The Concise King Crimson
15)Deja-Vroom
16)The Vroom Sessions
17)Vroom Vroom(Live)
18)Vroom (The EP)
19)Heavy Construction(Live)
20)Absent Lovers(Live) ...best Crimson Live album imo
21)Sex ,Sleep ,Eat,Drink,Dream(Single)
22)ThrackAttaKc (unlistenable)
23)Happy With What You Have To be Happy With
24)Level Five(EP)
25)Cirkus
26)The Night Watch
27)B'Boom(Live in Argentina) great CD
28)Frame By Frame(Box Set)
29)The Great Deciever(Box Set)
30)Epitaph(Live recordings of the first version of King Crimson in 1969)
31)Live AT The Jazz Cafe
32)Masque
33)Live Groove
34)Space Groove
35)The Deception of the Thrush
36)Earthbound
37)A Beginner's Guide to ProjeKct's
38)Cap De'Adge
39)The Moles Club (rough live recording before Discipline renamed themselves to King Crimson in 1981)
40) Live Noise Frejus(VHS)
41)Three of a Perfect Pair(VHS)
42)Live in Japan 1995(VHS)

SCTrojan
02-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Miles Davis, Toad the Wet Sprocket, and B.B. King.

Digital Takawira
02-25-2005, 06:22 PM
http://www.tunisiancommunity.org/outkast.jpg

http://ens.explanation-guide.info/thumb/9/96/250px-Wu-tang-logo.jpg

Nzoner
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Ironically [if my Bob and Pat, you're referring to the Matheny Bros.]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005IYU/qid=1109376352/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/102-7478991-0086545

Bob Walkenhorst and Pat Tomack from The Rainmakers.

Bob Dole
02-25-2005, 06:38 PM
17 copies of 4 Non Blondes "Bigger, Better, Faster, More!

It doesn't make any sense.

Archie F. Swin
02-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Rush & XTC