PDA

View Full Version : Ceasefire ceased... Suicide Bomber Hits Tel Aviv Club, Several Dead

Taco John
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Suicide Bomber Hits Tel Aviv Club, Several Dead
Fri Feb 25, 2005 05:14 PM ET

By Lee Marzel
TEL AVIV (Reuters) - A suicide bomber exploded next to a queue of people outside a Tel Aviv nightclub on Friday, police said, and Israeli media said several people were killed.

The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack, which wounded more than 30 and ended weeks of calm during a de facto truce by Palestinian militants.

The attack will shred hopes for Middle East peacemaking that have been growing since Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon agreed a cease-fire on Feb 8.

Militant groups behind suicide bombings in a 4 1/2-year-old uprising had said they were not bound by the cease-fire, but have been following a de facto truce while they discuss whether to formalize it.

Ambulances rushed to the scene of "The Stage" nightclub in a crowded district of Tel Aviv, packed with revelers on a Friday night. The Magen David Adom ambulance service said dozens of people were rushed to hospital.

"We passed the crosswalk and suddenly there was a huge explosion," an unnamed witness told Israel's Army Radio. "The whole area of the club was destroyed. Debris fell to the ground and cars were smashed."

Palestinian militant leaders have been due to meet officials in Cairo on March 5 to discuss whether to formalize the cease-fire.

Militant groups have said they are still not satisfied with Israeli gestures meant to build confidence -- such as prisoner releases and an end to army raids and assassinations.

They have demanded the release of many more than the 500 Palestinian prisoners who have been freed so far and insist that Israel, now holding about 7,500 Palestinians, should include prisoners convicted for hurting or killing Israelis.

The groups also want a more sweeping Israeli pullback from the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

(Additional reporting by Corinne Heller in Jerusalem)

Taco John
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Well that didn't take very long to start back up again...

the Talking Can
02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
pardon my cynicism, but rinse, wash, repeat....

HC_Chief
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
They have demanded the release of many more than the 500 Palestinian prisoners who have been freed so far and insist that Israel, now holding about 7,500 Palestinians, <b>should include prisoners convicted for hurting or killing Israelis.</b>
F*CK al that! Abbas needs to crush that shit post-haste. If not, bulldozer time.

Duck Dog
02-25-2005, 04:15 PM
It's time we turned our backs on the Palestinians once and for all and let Israel defend her self as she see's fit.

It's further proof that Muslims do not want peace and will do what it takes to insure peace is never an option.

To ****ing hell with all of them.

Taco John
02-25-2005, 08:29 PM
It's further proof that I'm glad I don't lived in that little jacked up piece of real estate

SBK
02-26-2005, 12:05 AM
It's further proof that I'm glad I don't lived in that little jacked up piece of real estate

I've been there, and it's quite nice. It's not as dangerous and it looks on the news, but that said Im just fine living over here.

Taco John
02-26-2005, 01:10 AM
I've always thought about going to Bethlehem for Christmas. But given the situation, I think I'd rather spend my money on skydiving... Maybe alligator wrestling.

BCD
02-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Homicide Bomber...

Cochise
02-26-2005, 07:02 AM
It's time we turned our backs on the Palestinians once and for all and let Israel defend her self as she see's fit.

It's further proof that Muslims do not want peace and will do what it takes to insure peace is never an option.

To ****ing hell with all of them.

Amen. Stop negotiating with terrorists.

Ultra Peanut
02-26-2005, 07:09 AM
I've always thought about going to Bethlehem for Christmas. But given the situation, I think I'd rather spend my money on skydiving... Maybe alligator wrestling.
Dr. Venture wakes up inside the X-1 with a thermometer in his butt. Brock tells him he was having a nightmare.

<blockquote>Dr. Venture: So everything's okay, then?
Brock: Not exactly. We... kind of have a situation here. The X-1 crashed, radio's dead, and we're in hostile territory.
Dr. Venture: Where?
Brock: Bethlehem. [holds up a sign that says "Church of the Nativity"]
[the boys run in, yell simultaneously]
Dean: Daddy! You're alive!
Hank: Pop! You're okay!
Dean: This is the best Christmas present ever!
Hank: Hey, pop, we saw where Jesus was born! And there's, like, magical godfire shooting out of it and everything!
Dean: Just like in Ten Commandments!
Brock: I think we hit a gas main.
Dr. Venture: So, what do we do here, Brock?
Brock: Well, that all depends. If the Israelis get here first then we might have a chance; I know some guys in the Mossad. If the PLO shows up, well, my Arabic's a little shaky.
Dr. Venture: Not a problem! Did you forget this baby runs on pure plutonium? They're gonna love us!
Dean: And that's what Christmas is alllll about!</blockquote>Roll end credits.

Bwana
02-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Wow, now that story is a HUGE surprise. :shake:

Iowanian
02-26-2005, 09:47 AM
More of those "peace loving palestinians" Denise is always talking about.

Big Suprise.
The New Leadership has this oportunity to prove to the Israeli's that they are serious, by getting Midevil on the group that did it.

SBK
02-26-2005, 12:38 PM

Bethlehem is a dump. Seriously, you leave Jerusalem which is quite nice and enter Bethlemhem and it looks like a war zone. And I was there BEFORE this whole hub ub started.

Go to the Tiberias, Cesearea type areas. Quite beautiful, and no friggin bomb carrying idiots up there.

Cochise
02-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Bethlehem is a dump. Seriously, you leave Jerusalem which is quite nice and enter Bethlemhem and it looks like a war zone. And I was there BEFORE this whole hub ub started.

Go to the Tiberias, Cesearea type areas. Quite beautiful, and no friggin bomb carrying idiots up there.

I'd really like to visit the area someday. Hopefully something can be done about the good'ol peace loving Islamists so I can...