PDA

View Full Version : Big Screen TVs

Dartgod
02-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Thinking about buying a big screen TV and want to know what to look for; brand name, technology available, prices and such. I am totally ignorant on the subject. I would like to buy one that is HDTV ready, without spending too much. I'm thinking in the $1500-2500 range.

Any info would be great.

EDIT: I meant to inquire about HD ready TVs. I see a lot of them say, "Fully capable of high-definition display when connected to an optional HDTV source." Is this extra equipment I would have to buy? If so, are there models that don't require this?

morphius
02-27-2005, 03:05 PM
HDTV ready means you need an external device, which you are pretty much stuck with if you want HDTV through your cable company or DirectTV. HDTV Built in allows you to get HDTV over the air.

There are some new TV's that have a card reader that can act as the cable box, but those get up there high in price. But those lack the Digital Cable menu and some other things, like On-Demand I believe. There is a new version of the hardware on its way, but its not out yet, so avoid dumping money on this feature.

Dartgod
02-27-2005, 03:13 PM
There are some new TV's that have a card reader that can act as the cable box, but those get up there high in price. But those lack the Digital Cable menu and some other things, like On-Demand I believe. There is a new version of the hardware on its way, but its not out yet, so avoid dumping money on this feature.
I'm making an assumption here, because as I said, I'm totally ignorant on this stuff. But am I better off purchasing TV that is just HDTV ready and then purchasing a separate tuner, because the technology is changing and I don't want to get stuck with whatever is built in the TV?

Also, I don't currently suscribe to digital cable. If I make this purchase I probably will. Will the cable company (Time Warner here) provide a HD decoder?

Bwana
02-27-2005, 03:25 PM
I bought a nice 65 inch Mitsubishi about a year ago that you would have to kill me to take away. I also invested in teh Hi def reciever and the picture on a hi def broadcast is out of this world. You're are making a wise buy. :)

Dartgod
02-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I bought a nice 65 inch Mitsubishi about a year ago that you would have to kill me to take away. I also invested in teh Hi def reciever and the picture on a hi def broadcast is out of this world. You're are making a wise buy. :)
65 inch might be a little on the big side for the space in our room, but Mitsubishi is a good brand?

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Hopefully the weekday crew can offer more advice.

I've been doing a little research and it looks like DLP is the shiznit. I'm interested in these two models by Samsung.

Samsung Model HL-P5063W 50" Widescreen HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV with DVI and HDMI Input.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470324&skuId=6476547&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

And the same thing in 46"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470384&skuId=6476583&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

And how do those compare to this 50" LCD model by Panasonic?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083711093735&skuId=6678641&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

One other I've looked at is this 52" DLP model by LG. Don't know much about this manufacturer. I did notice that the Samsung models have a 1500:1 contrast ratio while this model is 1000:1. Not sure how important that is.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1083713246542&skuId=6621872&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

Give me your thoughts, please!

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a Toshiba and love it. It's a pre-DLP rear-proj.

The new rear-proj with DLP are even better...

morphius
02-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm making an assumption here, because as I said, I'm totally ignorant on this stuff. But am I better off purchasing TV that is just HDTV ready and then purchasing a separate tuner, because the technology is changing and I don't want to get stuck with whatever is built in the TV?

Also, I don't currently suscribe to digital cable. If I make this purchase I probably will. Will the cable company (Time Warner here) provide a HD decoder?
HDTV Ready would probably be my suggestion. But like I said, that is if you are going to be getting your HDTV sources from either cable or from either direct tv or dish network. Because with either of those you are still going to be stuck with one of those stupid cable boxes, and those will act as your external HDTV tuner.

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 08:43 AM
HDTV Ready would probably be my suggestion. But like I said, that is if you are going to be getting your HDTV sources from either cable or from either direct tv or dish network. Because with either of those you are still going to be stuck with one of those stupid cable boxes, and those will act as your external HDTV tuner.
Cool, that was what I was thinking but couldn't find anything to verify it.

Any thoughts on some of the models I previously posted?

morphius
02-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Cool, that was what I was thinking but couldn't find anything to verify it.

Any thoughts on some of the models I previously posted?
Sadly I don't. Currently I can't afford one so I haven't been looking too closely. I have just been paying attention to the technologies so I know where they are going, because I would live them to get to the point where you no longer need the cable box.

I saw some of the Samsungs and they didn't look as sharp as some of the others that were around them, but this may have just been just inside that store or how they had things hooked up.

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Sadly I don't.
What are you doing on this thread then?

:p

j/k, thanks for the advice. I've already learned a lot from researching since yesterday. I'm pretty sure what I want in a TV, just not sure which brand name is the best value.

If you were going to purchase today, would you go with DLP or another technology?

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 09:50 AM

j/k, thanks for the advice. I've already learned a lot from researching since yesterday. I'm pretty sure what I want in a TV, just not sure which brand name is the best value.

If you were going to purchase today, would you go with DLP or another technology?

DLP is just a technology deployed in projection units. It gives them higher quality and smaller chasses.

Your choices are really projection, plasma, and LCD. Personally, I'd go projection, based solely on price. I like mine alot, and mine is pre-DLP so it's friggin huge.

As for HDTV, I'd get HDTV CAPABLE. I want my TV to be a display ONLY. Everything else is a component that can be switched out at any time.

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
DLP is just a technology deployed in projection units. It gives them higher quality and smaller chasses.

Your choices are really projection, plasma, and LCD. Personally, I'd go projection, based solely on price. I like mine alot, and mine is pre-DLP so it's friggin huge.

As for HDTV, I'd get HDTV CAPABLE. I want my TV to be a display ONLY. Everything else is a component that can be switched out at any time.
I've also seen LCD projection models (see link in my previous post, 50" Panasonic). I'm wondering which is the better technology, DLP or LCD.

Or, which would you choose if buying today.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
I've also seen LCD projection models (see link in my previous post, 50" Panasonic). I'm wondering which is the better technology, DLP or LCD.

Or, which would you choose if buying today.

LCD is generally brighter/crisper than DLP projection TV's.

But the DLP sets are half the price.

HC_Chief
02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Best brands for bigscreens (in order): Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba... the rest.

As already stated "HDTV capable" means the television is capable of displaying an HDTV signal, however the HD tuner is not a component of the system. This is prefereable, as it will save you anywhere from $500 to $1000!! Most cable and dish companies are now providing HD-tuner equiped boxes w/ their services at little to no extra charde (Time Warner charges nothing for it).

What you want to look for is resolution support. Current HDTV runs at 720p, meaning 720 lines of progressive-scan resolution. Many HDTV bigscreens do not run that mose natively, instead they "upscan" to 1020i... 1020 lines, interlaced. 1020i actually looks great, but a true 720p image appears a little sharper. I've heard rumor of 1020p signal, but have not seen it.

FTR, I have a Mitsubishi HD WS65411... I love it. The only drawback - if you can really consider it a drawback, is it uses component input, rather than digital (DVI). Most of the articles I've read on that subject however, suggest component is equal-to/superior to DVI anyway :)

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Best brands for bigscreens (in order): Sony, Mitsubishi, Toshiba... the rest.

As already stated "HDTV capable" means the television is capable of displaying an HDTV signal, however the HD tuner is not a component of the system. This is prefereable, as it will save you anywhere from $500 to $1000!! Most cable and dish companies are now providing HD-tuner equiped boxes w/ their services at little to no extra charde (Time Warner charges nothing for it).

What you want to look for is resolution support. Current HDTV runs at 720p, meaning 720 lines of progressive-scan resolution. Many HDTV bigscreens do not run that mose natively, instead they "upscan" to 1020i... 1020 lines, interlaced. 1020i actually looks great, but a true 720p image appears a little sharper. I've heard rumor of 1020p signal, but have not seen it.

FTR, I have a Mitsubishi HD WS65411... I love it. The only drawback - if you can really consider it a drawback, is it uses component input, rather than digital (DVI). Most of the articles I've read on that subject however, suggest component is equal-to/superior to DVI anyway :)
Cool. Good info there. Any thoughts on Samsung products? The one I am looking at has most of the features you mention; 720p native resolution, HDTV ready, DVI and component inputs. I have a few Samsung products, flat screen monitor, DVD player and cell phone and have always been pleased with their quality. Here's the TV I'm interested in again:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628470324&skuId=6476547&productCategoryId=cat03006&type=product

morphius
02-28-2005, 01:17 PM

As HT said, DLP, and for price reasons. You can get a lot bigget screen for a lot less and the picture is basically as good.

Make sure the TV you are getting is a true HDTV and not EDTV or one of the lower resolution TV's.

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 02:42 PM
I knew this place would come through with some good advice. I wanted to learn all I could before even setting foot in a store. The last thing I wanted to do was walk into Best Buy uneducated on the subject. I wouldn't trust one damned thing they would tell me.

One more question. I'm looking at two different models now. One is a Samsung 50" with a native resolution of 720p and the other is a Toshiba 52" with 1080i. From what I understand the 720p would be a sharper picture, is that correct?

KC Dan
02-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Thinking about buying a big screen TV and want to know what to look for; brand name, technology available, prices and such. I am totally ignorant on the subject. I would like to buy one that is HDTV ready, without spending too much. I'm thinking in the $1500-2500 range.

Any info would be great.

EDIT: I meant to inquire about HD ready TVs. I see a lot of them say, "Fully capable of high-definition display when connected to an optional HDTV source." Is this extra equipment I would have to buy? If so, are there models that don't require this?
My second season ticket installment went out in the mail today. Get that big screen ready Bob! ROFL

Dartgod
02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
My second season ticket installment went out in the mail today. Get that big screen ready Bob! ROFL
Did I tell ya we dropped one of our seats this year?

But keep those checks coming in. They'll help finance a nice TV for you to watch the games on.

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I knew this place would come through with some good advice. I wanted to learn all I could before even setting foot in a store. The last thing I wanted to do was walk into Best Buy uneducated on the subject. I wouldn't trust one damned thing they would tell me.

One more question. I'm looking at two different models now. One is a Samsung 50" with a native resolution of 720p and the other is a Toshiba 52" with 1080i. From what I understand the 720p would be a sharper picture, is that correct?

Yes and no.

There's two components in what you're looking at.

The first is a number like 420, 720, or 1080. This represents the number of scan lines used to refresh the screen every 1/60th of a second. More scanlines obviously means better resolution (it's just like a computer).

The second is either "i" or "p" - interlaced or "progressive" non-interlaced. Interlaced scanning is more efficient, but progressive scanning produces a much more accurate picture.

When you combine the two, however, it's a little misleading. When using interlaced displays, one scan actually only encompasses EVERY OTHER scan line . 720p displays 720 scan lines every 60 seconds. 1080i ACTUALLY only displays 540 lines - it's interlaced.

So 720p should be superior to 1080. However, 1080i should be superior to 420p, the format used by progressive scan DVD players...

morphius
02-28-2005, 03:11 PM

I would personally go to a couple of places and take a look at the two models you are intrested in, just so you can see the screens yourself.

I'm not sure about the 720p vs 1080i, I personally would want something that could handle the 1080i and be compatable with 720p, just because on a computer which would you run, 1024X768 or 800x600?

morphius
02-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes and no.

There's two components in what you're looking at.

The first is a number like 420, 720, or 1080. This represents the number of scan lines used to refresh the screen every 1/60th of a second. More scanlines obviously means better resolution (it's just like a computer).

The second is either "i" or "p" - interlaced or "progressive" non-interlaced. Interlaced scanning is more efficient, but progressive scanning produces a much more accurate picture.

When you combine the two, however, it's a little misleading. When using interlaced displays, one scan actually only encompasses EVERY OTHER scan line . 720p displays 720 scan lines every 60 seconds. 1080i ACTUALLY only displays 540 lines - it's interlaced.

So 720p should be superior to 1080. However, 1080i should be superior to 420p, the format used by progressive scan DVD players...
Ahhh, it becomes clearer.

Thanks!

htismaqe
02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I would personally go to a couple of places and take a look at the two models you are intrested in, just so you can see the screens yourself.

I'm not sure about the 720p vs 1080i, I personally would want something that could handle the 1080i and be compatable with 720p, just because on a computer which would you run, 1024X768 or 800x600?

FYI, computer displays are non-interlaced.

KC Dan
02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Did I tell ya we dropped one of our seats this year?

But keep those checks coming in. They'll help finance a nice TV for you to watch the games on.
While that may seem ok, I do know where you live, my friend! :cuss::)

HC_Chief
02-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Cool. Good info there. Any thoughts on Samsung products? The one I am looking at has most of the features you mention; 720p native resolution, HDTV ready, DVI and component inputs. I have a few Samsung products, flat screen monitor, DVD player and cell phone and have always been pleased with their quality. Here's the TV I'm interested in again:

DO NOT buy from Best Buy!!!! They always sell older models at newer model prices!!! When I bought my 65411, BB was selling an older model; can't recall the model#, for the same price. Problem was they were charging more for the OLDER model than I paid for the newer HDTV w/ better components and improved RGB (the older one apparently had a picture that was "too red")

I recommend you go to a dedicated AV dealer before spending the dough at BB. (too bad BrandsMart went tits-up).

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Just got home for spring break (too early for spring break) and found this in the house.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=60

Parents got it a month ago and kept it a secret.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 07:31 AM
DO NOT buy from Best Buy!!!! They always sell older models at newer model prices!!! When I bought my 65411, BB was selling an older model; can't recall the model#, for the same price. Problem was they were charging more for the OLDER model than I paid for the newer HDTV w/ better components and improved RGB (the older one apparently had a picture that was "too red")

I recommend you go to a dedicated AV dealer before spending the dough at BB. (too bad BrandsMart went tits-up).

I agree. Don't buy something like this from a chain. This is also one of the very few items that I recommend buying an extended warranty for.

It WILL require service.

No, that doesn't mean it will break. It means it needs to be cleaned and calibrated at least once a year, and that's covered under most extended service contracts.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Frigging BrandsMart went out of business w/ 2 years remaining on my extended warranty. That's bullshit :grr: $250 down the toilet

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Frigging BrandsMart went out of business w/ 2 years remaining on my extended warranty. That's bullshit :grr: $250 down the toilet

Usually those service contracts are outsourced and they get "sold" when a company goes out of business, etc. You have no legal recourse?

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Usually those service contracts are outsourced and they get "sold" when a company goes out of business, etc. You have no legal recourse?

Oh, if my bigscreen has any problems, you can bet your ass I'll have attournies working on it. Since I don't use it all that often, I'm not worried. Just pisses me off that I paid for the extended warranty only to have the company declare bankruptsy a year later.

Dartgod
03-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Are there any other local dealers in nthe KC area I should check out?

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM

I would have recommended BrandsMart.... too late now ;)
Check around... search for Audio/Video centers in the area. Be sure you know what you want before you go to a store, and know the market value. Sometimes you can get a better deal online - and that includes warranteed shipping... so take the time to educate yourself before making the plunge. JMO

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Make the trip to Lawrence.
http://www.kiefsav.com/

They are by far the best A/V store in northeast Kansas.

Dartgod
03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
...take the time to educate yourself before making the plunge. JMO
Yeah, I've been doing just that the last few days. I'm in no rush, because the funds to purchase haven't arrived yet.

I do plan on visiting Best Buy, Circuit City and others just because It will be easier to compare several models at once.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I've been doing just that the last few days. I'm in no rush, because the funds to purchase haven't arrived yet.

I do plan on visiting Best Buy, Circuit City and others just because It will be easier to compare several models at once.

Ah, yet another person joins the ranks of the "Used my income tax refund on a big screen" gang. :thumb:

It doesn't hurt to find what you want at BB or CC...just don't BUY it there.

Dartgod
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Well, I took the plunge. Thanks for everyone's help. After tons of research and comparing one set against another, I decided the Panasonic PT-50DL54 50" Diagonal Projection HDTV Monitor with DLP™ Technology. I looked at CRT, LCD and DLP projection and this unit had the best picture quality of all. And I grabbed it for a pretty decent price, IMO.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/images/LargerPhoto/PT-50DL54_Rev.jpg

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=71470&catGroupId=17036&modelNo=PT-50DL54&surfModel=PT-50DL54

I also picked up this Harman Kardon A/V Receiver:

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/product_large/AVR135.jpg
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR%20135&sType=C

And these Infinity speakers:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/images/products_large/tss-450plt.jpg
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-450CHR

Time Warner will be out Saturday to hook the HDTV. I can't wait. We've planned a night of drinking some margaritas and watching movies.

morphius
03-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Well, I took the plunge. Thanks for everyone's help. After tons of research and comparing one set against another, I decided the Panasonic PT-50DL54 50" Diagonal Projection HDTV Monitor with DLP™ Technology. I looked at CRT, LCD and DLP projection and this unit had the best picture quality of all. And I grabbed it for a pretty decent price, IMO.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/images/LargerPhoto/PT-50DL54_Rev.jpg

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&itemId=71470&catGroupId=17036&modelNo=PT-50DL54&surfModel=PT-50DL54

I also picked up this Harman Kardon A/V Receiver:

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/product_large/AVR135.jpg
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&Country=US&Language=ENG&cat=REC&prod=AVR%20135&sType=C

And these Infinity speakers:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/images/products_large/tss-450plt.jpg
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?prod=TSS-450CHR

Time Warner will be out Saturday to hook the HDTV. I can't wait. We've planned a night of drinking some margaritas and watching movies.
Very nice!

I love my infinity's...

Though mine are not the smaller ones.

Dartgod
03-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Very nice!

I love my infinity's...

Though mine are not the smaller ones.
Hey, I have another question. I pick up all my equipment tonite, but I was looking at the user manual online for the A/V receiver and the installation instructions indicate that I run the component video connections through the receiver. Why wouldn't they just run straight to the TV inputs?

morphius
03-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey, I have another question. I pick up all my equipment tonite, but I was looking at the user manual online for the A/V receiver and the installation instructions indicate that I run the component video connections through the receiver. Why wouldn't they just run straight to the TV inputs?
You can do it either way really. I run my cables directly to the TV because running it to the receiver is just an extra source for possible interfierence. Not that it is a real worry by any means.

Are you planning on always running the sound through your receiver?

Dartgod
03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Are you planning on always running the sound through your receiver?
No. There will be times when I will just use the TV speakers only.

morphius
03-11-2005, 08:37 AM
No. There will be times when I will just use the TV speakers only.
Then I will say just run it to the TV.

Personally, once I heard the sound through the infinity's compaired to TV sound, I just stopped using the TV sound all together.

I think the reason for running it through your Receiver is then it can pick which output to send to the TV, whether that is VCR, DVD, or cable...

HC_Chief
03-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Nice! :thumb:

Be sure to go all-digital with the audio (if possible). And run high-quality speaker wire... it makes all the difference in the world.

My system = 100% Yamaha, Dolby 6.1 with digital audio (fibre), and high-quality all-copper wiring w/ gold leads. I get ZERO hiss, even with the system cranked up. No popping, no static, no attenuation. I now prefer watching movies at home to going to the theatre; even the uber-badass AMC theatres :D

Dartgod
03-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Nice! :thumb:

Be sure to go all-digital with the audio (if possible). And run high-quality speaker wire... it makes all the difference in the world.
Yep, already have the fiber audio cable for the DVD player. Will the set top box have fiber output also?

BigRedChief
03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
This needs to be a sticky. Very good info. Nice job planeteers!

HC_Chief
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Yep, already have the fiber audio cable for the DVD player. Will the set top box have fiber output also?

Yep! :D

Bwana
03-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Sweet! Congrats Bob, you will enjoy it.

Dartgod
03-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Sweet! Congrats Bob, you will enjoy it.
Thanks, the cable guy should be here soon to hook me up to HDTV. :thumb:

We watched a DVD last night and the picture is incredible!

What's really cool is I've got my laptop hooked up to the S-Video input and I'm browsing the internet AND watching basketball on a split screen right now. The video is a little fuzzy, I should be using the RGB input, but that doesn't allow for split screen viewing.

BigRedChief
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks, the cable guy should be here soon to hook me up to HDTV. :thumb:

We watched a DVD last night and the picture is incredible!

What's really cool is I've got my laptop hooked up to the S-Video input and I'm browsing the internet AND watching basketball on a split screen right now. The video is a little fuzzy, I should be using the RGB input, but that doesn't allow for split screen viewing.

Okay guys I went with the JVC 52 in model. It's picture was as good as the Sony wega models but $300 cheaper.

Bob Dole
12-16-2005, 02:21 PM

Get a scan converter.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=51255156&pfp=BROWSE