PDA

View Full Version : Guy Hansen back, up for challenge

tk13
02-28-2005, 06:22 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/news/kc_news.jsp?ymd=20050227&content_id=952282&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp

Hansen back, up for challenge
Pitching coach calls talent in Royals camp impressive
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Guy Hansen has taken on a big challenge.
Last season the Royals had the worst pitching record in the American League. They had the fewest wins, 58, and the fewest saves, 25. They gave up the most runs, 905, and most hits, 1,638. The ERA was a league-worst 5.15.

Stop the bleeding. Call Dr. Hansen.

Hansen is back for his second turn as the Royals' pitching coach.

Since Hansen was fired in 1993 after three seasons -- he and manager Hal McRae didn't see eye-to-eye -- the Royals have had six other pitching coaches. Name them and consider yourself a real Royals expert.

Hansen has spent about 30 years with the Royals as a minor league player, scout, minor league coach and Major League coach (he returned in 1997-98 but as bullpen coach). For the last six years, he worked in the Atlanta Braves' organization for former Royals general manager John Schuerholz.

For the last four years, he was pitching coach for Triple-A Richmond with Leo Mazzone entrenched in the parent Braves' job.

"I had no intention of going anywhere because I had a great job with Atlanta. I mean, Schuerholz has hired me five different times and he was paying me top dollar as a Triple-A pitching coach," Hansen said.

"Even though Leo was very much his own man, I still had some impact and was allowed to do whatever I thought was right. And they'd send down some Major League pitchers once in a while to get cleaned up, so that job was great."

But GM Allard Baird persuaded him to return to the Royals.

"When you look at successful pitching coaches they have communication skills with a player and they also have some ability from a technician's standpoint," Baird said.

"I think the whole key with Guy is that he's very talented at both. You get some guys who are better technicians than communicators and vice versa. Those two things and being above average in both was a big factor."

Hansen is very much a hands-on coach, who moves through the practice fields with words of advice and encouragement for every pitcher he encounters.

"He's awesome," said reliever Shawn Camp. "If there's a negative about you, it doesn't stay long. If you have something correctable, he's going to find a way to correct it."

Hansen already has overhauled the pitching motion of left-hander Brian Anderson. He's teaching relievers Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal the values of a changeup. He's helping Scott Sullivan find an arm slot that won't wear on his aching back.

And he's sized up the horde of 33 pitchers under his care.

"I thought three years ago in Atlanta was the best group of arms I'd ever seen, but this is the best group I've personally ever witnessed," Hansen said.

As a scout, Hansen exhibited a good eye for pitchers, signing Bret Saberhagen and Kevin Appier. When he operated a baseball school in southern California, he made Saberhagen an offseason project. Saberhagen went from 14-16 in 1988 to 23-6 and a Cy Young Award in 1989.

"In my opinion, the best pitcher I ever had to work with was Saberhagen. Basically what happened in '89 after that terrible year just gave me a lot of confidence that the things I believe in are special," Hansen said.

"And I had the opportunity just to be around Greg Maddux and watch what he does. Saberhagen and Maddux are probably the two best control pitchers of the '90s. I don't think anybody would argue that much. Maddux throws in upper 80s (mph), and Saberhagen in the mid-90s. The control they had with their fastball and changeup was terrific, and both are very, very similar in their basics, their absolutes."

Hansen extends that knowledge to his handling of the Royals' pitchers.

"What I do is gather as much information as possible and take the best qualities they have and bring in those absolutes and that usually gets them in the strike zone with some power," he said.

In 1992, under Hansen, the Royals had their lowest ERA, 3.81, in the last 15 seasons. In 1993, Appier led the AL with a 2.56 ERA and Jeff Montgomery posted a club-record 45 saves.

"Everyone who works with Guy gets that feeling that, hey, he really believes in me," Baird said.

Now for that list of pitching coaches that followed Hansen to Kansas City: Bruce Kison, Mark Wiley, Brent Strom, Al Nipper, John Cumberland and Mike Mason. The Royals' interim coach for the second half of last season, Mason was retained as the minor league roving pitching instructor.

Initially Hansen, very comfortable with the Braves, was hesitant to return to the Royals.

"I didn't want to push anybody out of a job, especially Mike Mason. That bothered me a lot," Hansen said. "Once I met with them and assured me that Mike was going to be well taken care of and would have impact, then I listened."

tk13
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Add to all the work he's done with Anderson, Affeldt and MacDougal, prospect Dennis Tankersley we picked up in the Darrell May trade has glowing things to say today too....

Tankersley is scheduled to throw two innings in Tuesday's 12:30 p.m. MT intrasquad game on Field 1 at the Surprise Sports Complex.

"I want to see what hitters look like and, even if you're hitting your spots, I want to see if the ball has action and is tough to pick up and that kind of stuff," Tankersley said.

He's also anxious to test the slight adjustments that pitching coach Guy Hansen has made in his delivery.

"Working with Guy has improved my location 10-fold," he said. "It's unbelievable. It's night and day."

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/news/kc_news.jsp?ymd=20050228&content_id=952798&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp

Deberg_1990
02-28-2005, 06:27 PM
Good Luck Guy, your gonna need it....You will be a Miracle worker if you can help turn this sorry franchise around....

mikey23545
02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Damn if this doesn't sound like good news.

HemiEd
02-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I think this is a very encouraging move. The Royals should be stockpiled with capable pitching talent for quite a long time IMO.

Deberg_1990
02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
The Royals should be stockpiled with capable pitching talent for quite a long time IMO.

Nope, just grooming them for the Yankees to make a title run in 2008 and 2009!

Cochise
02-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Good read and good news - it all starts with pitching.

mikey23545
02-28-2005, 06:41 PM

I hate you for being a truth-speaker.

HemiEd
02-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Damn I hate the Yankees, still! Fortunatly I still have that vivid memory of George hitting the home run off of Goose Gossage. Maybe, just maybe we will have another memory like that in our lifetime.

OmahaChief
02-28-2005, 07:53 PM
I was happy when they brought him back. I really hope it payoffs because I think if the starters get it together our bully this year should be a strength. If we have Mac and Affeldt finshing the 8th and 9th we should be in good shape.

I am really hyped to see our Club here in Omaha this year.

I get to see 1b - Huber 2b-Gotay SS- Blanco and 3B Teahan (unless he makes the team) Should be a decent year for the Omaha Royals. I think the pitching in Omaha will be decent too. If Bautista does not make the team and Howell and Burgios come to Omaha it should be fun.

siberian khatru
02-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Good. No more of this "strikeouts are fascistic" thinking from last year.

Guy can teach 'em. I hope the training staff can keep 'em healthy.

beavis
02-28-2005, 09:25 PM
They've never been able to find a guy that could mold the obvious talent we've had in recent years. I hope Guy is the guy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

beavis
02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
I get to see 1b - Huber 2b-Gotay SS- Blanco and 3B Teahan (unless he makes the team)
I was reading something about that this morning. That's four solid future major leaguers. Could be better than the parent club. I'm really intrigued by this Huber guy. I hope he makes the team (doubtful he will), because I'd really like to see him play.

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Shouldn't this crap be on the baseball forum?

Sorry, I just wanted to beat Skip

Sure-Oz
02-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Nice article, i hope these young pitchers stay healthy and keep us in the game.

siberian khatru
02-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Here, use this:

http://www.wedowed.com/gc187.jpg

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Here, use this:

Hardly, I was raised in Southern Indiana where these were made:

http://www.sluggergifts.com/sap/its/y_images/sg/featured_TCLMBRSWS1.jpg

Little known fact, the Lousville Slugger was not made in Lousville, but rather Clarksville, Indiana.

siberian khatru
02-28-2005, 10:22 PM

Little known fact, the Lousville Slugger was not made in Lousville, but rather Clarksville, Indiana.

Yeah, used to work in Columbus. Covered high school hoops down around Jeffersonville, New Albany, etc.

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, used to work in Columbus. Covered high school hoops down around Jeffersonville, New Albany, etc.
You could have covered my school with a sticky note. Our Lady of Providence Pioneers were the whippin' boys for the teams you mentioned as well as Evansville, Clarksville, Henryville, and every school within a 5 mile radius of the Ohio River in Kentucky.

Cochise
02-28-2005, 11:28 PM

That kind of looks like it says "Rich Scanlon"

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 02:11 AM
That kind of looks like it says "Rich Scanlon"

ROFL

After reading this article, my gut feeling was reconfirmed. I have had this feeling all offseason that the Royals pitching staff is gonna be unreal. Unfortunately, it is a year late. Our offensive production is gonna suck ass major. However, I feel we will win at least 75 games. Anyone want to make a sixer bet on that?

grandllama
03-01-2005, 02:18 AM

ah, good ol Columbus, home of the Grand Dragon...

grandllama
03-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Shouldn't this crap be on the baseball forum?

Bite Me Russ...

You know this time of year we post it here ROFL

grandllama
03-01-2005, 02:20 AM

If those are made in Clarksville, what the hell was that giant ass bat looking thing I walked into in Louisville???

~~ Confused Llama

tk13
03-01-2005, 02:30 AM
I don't think it's mentioned in the article but one of the big things Hansen did was get with Affeldt to tell him that he's been telegraphing his pitches all this time....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/11017538.htm

Sharper curve

Reliever Jeremy Affeldt believes he might have found a secondary benefit from adjusting his delivery to avoid tipping pitches:

A sharper bite to his 12-to-6 overhand curve.

I really wasn't happy with the way I threw my curve last year, he said. I threw some good ones, but not enough. But I'm doing these new mechanics, and I've got my curve back.

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 02:48 AM
I think I may go to 5 games instead of 3 this year. Perhaps one a month. I really want to see Grienke pitch at least 3 times... and a couple others outings. Im kind of eeirly excited about baseball coming back.

Man, my three old has been 'playing' baseball since age 15 months. During the Giants/Angels 2002 world series... he sat on my lap the ENTIRE series, just watching it... as I explained to him what was going on. You could tell he liked what he was seeing.

When he could walk, I gave him a paper towel roll cardboard deal... and threw balloons his way. He loved it. So when he got a bit better on his feet, I gave him a small poster packing tube that fit his hands perfectly... and started underhanding small nerf balls his way from about 5-7 feet away. He would hit 3-4 out of every 10.

NOW... at 3 years 4 months... I am pitching overhand to him from 20-25 feet away, and I shit you not, he hits 6-7 out of every ten, [foul tips included.]

He loves it and wants to play it everyday. I have never pressured him to play it, and could really care less if he likes it or not, but I noticed that he was intently interested in it, so I figure... How can I help him get the most enjoyment out of his interest, and help him get better in the process.

There it is. It is truly unreal. If you have a boy, paper towel rolls, and balloons.

grandllama
03-01-2005, 03:04 AM
I think I may go to 5 games instead of 3 this year. Perhaps one a month.

That's the beauty of baseball...

There is nothing in my life I enjoy more than taking my kids to a baseball game at the K... win or loose, it is one hell of a way to spend a lazy summer evening...

Yeah, I could take them to the zoo, and those elephants aren't going to win a world series in my (or my kids) lifetime either, but the fresh cut grass sure smells better than the elephant pen at Swope...

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 03:21 AM
That's the beauty of baseball...

There is nothing in my life I enjoy more than taking my kids to a baseball game at the K... win or loose, it is one hell of a way to spend a lazy summer evening...

Yeah, I could take them to the zoo, and those elephants aren't going to win a world series in my (or my kids) lifetime either, but the fresh cut grass sure smells better than the elephant pen at Swope...

How many kids you have now?

mikey23545
03-01-2005, 05:52 AM
I think I may go to 5 games instead of 3 this year. Perhaps one a month. I really want to see Grienke pitch at least 3 times... and a couple others outings. Im kind of eeirly excited about baseball coming back.

Man, my three old has been 'playing' baseball since age 15 months. During the Giants/Angels 2002 world series... he sat on my lap the ENTIRE series, just watching it... as I explained to him what was going on. You could tell he liked what he was seeing.

When he could walk, I gave him a paper towel roll cardboard deal... and threw balloons his way. He loved it. So when he got a bit better on his feet, I gave him a small poster packing tube that fit his hands perfectly... and started underhanding small nerf balls his way from about 5-7 feet away. He would hit 3-4 out of every 10.

NOW... at 3 years 4 months... I am pitching overhand to him from 20-25 feet away, and I shit you not, he hits 6-7 out of every ten, [foul tips included.]

He loves it and wants to play it everyday. I have never pressured him to play it, and could really care less if he likes it or not, but I noticed that he was intently interested in it, so I figure... How can I help him get the most enjoyment out of his interest, and help him get better in the process.

There it is. It is truly unreal. If you have a boy, paper towel rolls, and balloons.

Major props for being a dad who takes the time to do stuff like that...It's the shared little things like this that add up to a human being someday, not telling them "Go play your video games!".....

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 06:19 AM
I must resist the urge to be even remotely optimistic.

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 06:59 AM
Major props for being a dad who takes the time to do stuff like that...It's the shared little things like this that add up to a human being someday, not telling them "Go play your video games!".....

Right on. My pops wasnt all that attentive, didnt go to my games, extra curricular shit, etc... so I figured that when I was a pops... that I would do those things, and pay attention to what THEY have interest in, and find ways to help them excel at whatever it is they dig.

He appeared to really like baseball, so I thought of ways to maybe give him a headstart, and it really blows my mind. He has a stroke, Ill try to get a video in the next few days.

This morning, i put up the John Wooden Pyramid of Success in his room. That will have a profound effect on his mindset also, I believe.