View Full Version : Rolle to visit the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday

Stinger
02-28-2005, 10:26 PM
washingtonpost.com
Redskins No Closer On Deal For Coles

By Nunyo Demasio
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 1, 2005; Page D01

INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 28 -- Despite intense negotiations through the weekend, sources said the Washington Redskins might miss a self-imposed deadline to restructure left tackle Chris Samuels's contract by Tuesday at 4 p.m. -- when all NFL teams must be under the salary cap. And another critical deadline determining the future of Laveranues Coles will almost certainly be missed eight hours later, all but ending the disgruntled wide receiver's hopes of being released.

The timetable involving Samuels, who is close to an agreement with Washington, was largely artificial because the two sides can continue talks after Tuesday without being penalized. In Coles's case, Washington has until midnight to reach an agreement with the receiver to release him as he has requested in exchange for forfeiting a $5 million deferred signing bonus payment due April 1. If a pact is reached in time -- and the NFL approves the paperwork by Tuesday night -- Washington will gain salary cap relief for the 2005 season. Effective Wednesday, the Redskins would not get any salary cap benefit until 2006, giving Washington only two realistic choices: keep the disgruntled wideout or trade him and take a massive salary cap hit.

Coach Joe Gibbs has publicly ruled out releasing Coles. Although several teams have inquired about Coles, the 5-foot-11, 193-pounder has erected a major hurdle by requesting a contract extension from his new team. Trade negotiations for New York Jets wide receiver Santana Moss collapsed here Saturday morning after the Jets met with Coles's agent, Roosevelt Barnes. Both sides have flickering hopes that the trade will be resuscitated, sources said, if the Jets and Coles can agree on an extension.

~~SNIP~~

Meanwhile, reports of Washington's imminent signing of cornerback Samari Rolle are false, said several sources familiar with the situation. According to one club source, Rolle hasn't even been on Washington's list of free-agent targets, largely because of his asking price. One of the hottest rumors at the Indianapolis combine was Rolle going to Washington for a signing bonus of up to $15 million. (Gregg Williams, Washington's assistant head coach of defense, was Rolle's defensive coordinator at Tennessee for Rolle's first three NFL seasons. And Rolle is a former teammate of Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson.) However, the misinformation was apparently spread to exploit owner Daniel Snyder's reputation for free spending while increasing Rolle's value in free agency. According to one NFL source, Rolle is scheduled to visit the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday.

The situation means that free agent cornerback Fred Smoot -- who has declined a $10 million bonus -- still has a chance to return for his fifth NFL season.

"Fred's desire is Washington, but there's a whole lot of fish out there in the sea," Smoot's agent, Bus Cooke, said Monday night. "We've had amicable talks with Mr. Snyder and Mr. Gibbs. We'll see how it plays out."

2005 The Washington Post Company

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61494-2005Feb28.html)

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Negotiation ploy.

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
:thumb:

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Negotiation ploy.

Probably. But once in KC...to be in the same secondary as Warfield, and Bartee? Come on. He won't leave town!

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
However, we have a better chance at signing Rolle for a long term deal than Surtain - so that is one bonus I wouldn't mind giving up as long as we really got a great LB to ease the pain.

|Zach|
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
He can bowl for free if he wants.

-Zach
*doing his part*

Stinger
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Negotiation ploy.

More than likely but hey any port in the storm. Don't mind having a few CB to choose from instead of not loosing out on all or all but 1.

Mr. Kotter
02-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Maybe if we pledge to nab Antrel in the draft....Rolle & Rolle at CB.... :hmmm:

KCWolfman
02-28-2005, 10:31 PM
He can bowl for free if he wants.

-Zach
*doing his part*
Just don't wear that skirt again. Your legs are too hairy.

|Zach|
02-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Just don't wear that skirt again. Your legs are too hairy.
I work hard for the money so Rolle better treat me right.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
02-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Zach likes to stand over the hand blower at the bowling alley.

Dave Lane
02-28-2005, 10:52 PM
I work hard for the money so Rolle better treat me right.

Odd I feel like humming..

Dave

Rausch
02-28-2005, 10:56 PM
It's obvious this is just to get the fans excited.

If Peterson were serious he would have already agreed to terms with Rolle before the playoffs started...

ZootedGranny
02-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Mannie Fresh and Baby sez: "GET YOUR ROLLE ON!"
http://ubl.artistdirect.com/Images/artd/amg/music/bio/661043_bigtymers_200x200.jpg

Samari Rolle responds:
"Beatrice...bitch please
You....know....who i.....be
Nothin else.....none other
The...number one...stunner"
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/_photos/2003-09-28-titans.jpg

Carl Peterson replies: "I don't know. All that rap is, is clicks and whistles."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/02/10/thomas_services_ap/t1_peterson_ap_01.jpg

philfree
03-01-2005, 12:29 AM
On the NFL Newtwork Adam Scheftner also said the Redskins was just a rumor.

The Chiefs have been in touch with Law's, Rolle's and Surtain's people. That seems pretty agressive to me. Sign Rolle and trade for Surtain and the 1st round of the draft opens up for us. Draft Thomas Davis to play SS and move Warfield to FS and we have a top notch secondary.........Quick get me my pipe!

PhilFree :arrow:

Woodrow Call
03-01-2005, 12:32 AM

The Chiefs have been in touch with Law's, Rolle's and Surtain's people. That seems pretty agressive to me. Sign Rolle and trade for Surtain and the 1st round of the draft opens up for us. Draft Thomas Davis to play SS and move Warfield to FS and we have a top notch secondary.........Quick get me my pipe!

I love the secondary but the Chiefs would still have the worst Lb corp in the NFL.

Rausch
03-01-2005, 12:32 AM

The Chiefs have been in touch with Law's, Rolle's and Surtain's people. That seems pretty agressive to me.

You are just a tool Peterson uses to sell seats.

If Peterson was really trying to land these guys he'd have traded for them BEFORE they were available...

Or something.

Pants
03-01-2005, 12:37 AM

If Peterson was really trying to land these guys he'd have traded for them BEFORE they were available...

Or something.

ROFL

philfree
03-01-2005, 12:41 AM

Or something.

There for a second I thought you were calling me a "tool".

Phobia
03-01-2005, 12:42 AM

Or something.

Dude. :shake: There can only be one Titus. Isn't it bad enough that his brother, NMT has taken on his internet personna?

Rausch
03-01-2005, 12:47 AM
Dude. :shake: There can only be one Titus. Isn't it bad enough that his brother, NMT has taken on his internet personna?

Do you dare blaspheme the great and almighty Titus!?!

|Zach|
03-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Phil, I am not going to lie.

The last person that invoked the name of Titus in a disprespectful manner in front of Brad was killed with a trident.

Rausch
03-01-2005, 01:05 AM

The last person that invoked the name of Titus in a disprespectful manner in front of Brad was killed with a trident.

Times like this I ask myself "What would Burt Reynolds do?"

And I already know the answer. Impale that bitch with a trident...

tk13
03-01-2005, 01:28 AM

I didn't know you could kill somebody with gum. What are you, McGyver?

Rausch
03-01-2005, 01:41 AM

Heretic!

Teh snap of his bubble is but the physical manifestation of his greatness! He has mastered all energy and can employ the powar of teh atom when popping his chewing gum!

royr17
03-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Come on Git-R-Done King Carl !!!!!!!!!!!!

grandllama
03-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Times like this I ask myself "What would Burt Reynolds do?"

He'd dance with a bear until it kicked him in the nuts...

|Zach|
03-01-2005, 02:29 AM
You wish sucka

http://www.plumblossom.net/PhotoAlbum/SanFrancisco/expo/Jason-9%20dragon%20trident.jpg

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 02:57 AM
I wouldnt mind the Chiefs Signing Samari Rolle, and Drafting Antrel... since everyone loves the ROLLEING jokes 'round hurrr.

ExtremeChief
03-01-2005, 03:09 AM
. since everyone loves the ROLLEING jokes 'round hurrr.

so how come you didn't?

Ari Chi3fs
03-01-2005, 03:20 AM
I wouldnt mind the Chiefs Signing ...

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Reporter from the Washington Times is on 610 right now, and he's talking like it's not a negotiation ploy. According to him, the skins have no interest at all in Rolle, and they're toeing the line with Smoot, so he's probably gone, too. He says that the Redskins believe they can get by with the defense they have (without Smoot) that what they need to focus on is upgrading their offense. So they aren't going to be spending money on any CB, not Smoot, not Rolle, not Surtain.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Does anyone really think that KC is going to sign 2 FA corners and a FA LB?

I don't see how they could pull that off, unless King Carl has subtracted another $10 million from our salary cap numbers.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 06:34 AM
The only good news in this is that the the price tags aren't as high as it looked like they might be.

As far as us looking at Rolle, I'm less than enthused. IMO, he's at the bottom of the list of available FA CBs. I hope that us looking at him first doesn't translate to him being the guy we want most.

We also still haven't heard a peep about LBs. The "gloom-and-doom" in me thinks we'll have Mitchell as our starter this year. Considering the lack of OLBs on the market, maybe we'll make a move to get DJ.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 07:48 AM
I'm not thrilled at all about Rolle. He's not very big (6', 175), he's injured a lot, and he's going to want a lot.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Chiefs are going to have to restructure some contracts. 4-5 million when we are talking about signing bonuses in excess of 10 million is going to get eaten up in 2 players. The Chiefs need to have around 8-9 if they want to add 3 new starters on D through free agency.

Also, isn't it wonderful that we have to read about who is visiting in other newspapers? Way to go Teicher.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2005, 07:52 AM
610 reported that Gunther is DEMANDING new players. He's leading the pack in going after these corners. Gunther really wants Surtain or Rolle.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm not thrilled at all about Rolle. He's not very big (6', 175), he's injured a lot, and he's going to want a lot.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the Chiefs are going to have to restructure some contracts. 4-5 million when we are talking about signing bonuses in excess of 10 million is going to get eaten up in 2 players. The Chiefs need to have around 8-9 if they want to add 3 new starters on D through free agency.

Also, isn't it wonderful that we have to read about who is visiting in other newspapers? Way to go Teicher.

I think Teicher is on vacation in Scottland this week.

It is waay past due for Ivan Carter to step up and be the Chiefs beat writer for the Star. J(everybody's)O.

As far as the restructuring, you would think that there would be a number of guys WILLING to restructure, just for the hope of getting somebody, anybody on this team that can play a lick of defense.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
610 reported that Gunther is DEMANDING new players. He's leading the pack in going after these corners. Gunther really wants Surtain or Rolle.

Surtain, Rolle, and Bell would be a good plan.........

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
It is waay past due for Ivan Carter to step up and be the Chiefs beat writer for the Star.That'll be tough, since he's the Maryland bb writer for a Washington D.C. paper now.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Surtain, Rolle, and Bell would be a good plan.........

I would replace Trotter instead of Bell and be good to go. Rolle would be good as a #2, but he's hurt too much for us to depend on him as a #1.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 08:00 AM
That'll be tough, since he's the Maryland bb writer for a Washington D.C. paper now.

Well, hell! When did that happen?

I've really got to start reading the paper more during the football offseason........

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
2 CB and a MLB still leaves us short at OLB.

Bowser
I would replace Trotter instead of Bell and be good to go. Rolle would be good as a #2, but he's hurt too much for us to depend on him as a #1.

I'd absolutely take Trotter, as well! I just can't see him leaving Philly, where he got his start AND rebirth.

The Rolle signing would be a great addendum to the Surtain trade, if it goes down. Rolle would be a serviceable #2 while Warfield has his mandatory vacation to start the season.

keg in kc
Well, hell! When did that happen?

I've really got to start reading the paper more during the football offseason........Few months ago, I think. I missed it, too.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Injuries? Price tag?

It doesn't matter- anything's better than what the Chiefs have now.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I'd absolutely take Trotter, as well! I just can't see him leaving Philly, where he got his start AND rebirth.

The Rolle signing would be a great addendum to the Surtain trade, if it goes down. Rolle would be a serviceable #2 while Warfield has his mandatory vacation to start the season.

Has "EWI's" suspension been confimed? I haven't seen anything about it officially.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 08:08 AM
2 CB and a MLB still leaves us short at OLB.

Agreed. Saying we need a second CB is basically saying you think Beisel and Mitchell are better players than Warfield.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Has "EWI's" suspension been confimed? I haven't seen anything about it officially.

Not yet, but I believe that was his third infraction. They probablly won't announce it until training camp or the preseason, so the talking heads can talk about how he can still play preseason games and practice with the team up until the first week of the season.

"EWI". Heh.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Agreed. Saying we need a second CB is basically saying you think Beisel and Mitchell are better players than Warfield.

They will be for the first four games when Warfield's on suspension

BigChiefFan
03-01-2005, 08:48 AM
If we some how pull off signing Surtain and Rolle, I think that makes Warfield a goner or a player who restructures.

Brock
03-01-2005, 08:50 AM
It is waay past due for Ivan Carter to step up and be the Chiefs beat writer for the Star. J(everybody's)O.

You'll be glad to know he's leaving the star to be the beat writer for the Maryland Terrapins.

Brock
03-01-2005, 08:51 AM

Me either. Everybody beat the Titans defense like a rented mule.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 08:59 AM
We will see about how much Dickie sticks to his profile with Rolle. Rolle I guess beat his girlfriend on christmas.

Lets see if Vermeil uses the "family profile" in this case. But I doubt it.

BigChiefFan
03-01-2005, 09:09 AM
We will see about how much Dickie sticks to his profile with Rolle. Rolle I guess beat his girlfriend on christmas.

Lets see if Vermeil uses the "family profile" in this case. But I doubt it.
Tim Grunhard is on AM 610 and he claims he has spoke directly with Carl Peterson. He said Carl said Gunther Cunningham is "spearheading" (his word) going after Surtain AND Rolle. Cunningham is demanding players. Don't know if Carl said it or not, Grunhard said it for what's it's worth. Sounds like Dicky V. is taking a step back in regards to the Defense.
He also said Lamar Hunt is getting old and everybody wants to go out and get some things done in FA, to actually pursue some players.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Tim Grunhard is on AM 610 and he claims he has spoke directly with Carl Peterson. He said Carl said Gunther Cunningham is "spearheading" (his word) going after Surtain AND Rolle. Cunningham is demanding players. Don't know if Carl said it or not, Grunhard said it for what's it's worth. Sounds like Dicky V. is taking a step back in regards to the Defense.
He also said Lamar Hunt is getting old and everybody wants to go out and get some things done in FA, to actually pursue some players.

I'm guessing that Grunhard is telling the truth, because Mitch Holthus said a few weeks ago that Carl said the same thing.

Basically, Gunther is demanding 2 or 3 CB's (at least 1 from FA and 1 from the draft) and more speed at LB.

TEX
03-01-2005, 09:52 AM
I'm guessing that Grunhard is telling the truth, because Mitch Holthus said a few weeks ago that Carl said the same thing.

Basically, Gunther is demanding 2 or 3 CB's (at least 1 from FA and 1 from the draft) and more speed at LB.

That is EXACTLY what the CHIEFS NEED. But in order for that to happen, Lamar MUST open his checkbook for large signing bonuses. IF the CHIEFS want to improve quickly, Lamar MUST SHOW THEM THE $$$. It's pretty simple really. :hmmm:

TEX
03-01-2005, 09:57 AM
If we some how pull off signing Surtain and Rolle, I think that makes Warfield a goner or a player who restructures.

It makes him a nickle back that must restructure. It also makes the CHIEFS CB situation very good. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 10:02 AM

Damn, that Gun gives me a woody!!! PBJ

:holdman:

KevB
03-01-2005, 10:03 AM
It makes him a nickle back that must restructure. It also makes the CHIEFS CB situation very good. :thumb:

I think the chances of signing two top corners are very, very slim. However, in case CP shocks me, how about Warfield to free safety. He's always been prone to peeking at the QB, and at free safety, that's fine. In passing downs, put him at nickel corner and bring in Woods or Hart at the 2nd safety spot. That's an opportunity to get your best players on the field. You put Surtain, Rolle and Warfield on the field at all times, and WRs will get covered. That allows Wesley to do what he does best, support the run.

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I think the chances of signing two top corners are very, very slim. However, in case CP shocks me, how about Warfield to free safety. He's always been prone to peeking at the QB, and at free safety, that's fine. In passing downs, put him at nickel corner and bring in Woods or Hart at the 2nd safety spot. That's an opportunity to get your best players on the field. You put Surtain, Rolle and Warfield on the field at all times, and WRs will get covered. That allows Wesley to do what he does best, support the run.

I agree, I just can't see Carl and Lamar handing out $30 mill in signing bonuses to two players, and then signing a LB along with......it's just not the Chiefs style. I think we will get Surtian or Rolle, but not both. However, it would be pretty amazing if we did it and moved Warfield to nickelback. We will probably need 3 CBs on the field a lot anyways, especially in our divisional games.

Sure-Oz
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
It's common sense to get some talent on this D, i hope they are trying real hard and get us some good players.

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
It's common sense to get some talent on this D, i hope they are trying real hard and get us some good players.

Hasn't it been common sense the last three seasons?

whoman69
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Does anyone really think that KC is going to sign 2 FA corners and a FA LB?

I don't see how they could pull that off, unless King Carl has subtracted another $10 million from our salary cap numbers.
There is no way that I could see us doing that, but I could see them sign and draft a CB. We need to replace McCleon and Bartee. I wonder if perhaps we sign a MLB and move Mitchell outside or if we leave Mitchell and sign and outside backer. Before everyone starts screaming, I believe Mitchell will be playing somewhere on this team.

whoman69
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
IMO Rolle would be the best fit for us. There are concerns of Smoot against bigger players. Rolle does not come with draft picks given up. He does not command Law type money and does not have the injury concerns despite what Bad Guy says. Rolle has played at least 12 games every year of his career.

ct
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM

We should sign 1 CB(Rolle, Baxter, Lucas), draft 1 CB #1(Rogers) or 2(Browner, if avail.), and sign a stud MLB(Hartwell, Trotter), draft OLB #2/1(DJ, if available).

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
IMO Rolle would be the best fit for us. There are concerns of Smoot against bigger players. Rolle does not come with draft picks given up. He does not command Law type money and does not have the injury concerns despite what Bad Guy says. Rolle has played at least 12 games every year of his career.

Doesn't have injury concerns? What would you call missing 7 games in 2 years? A coincidence?

He's played a full season twice in 7 years.

The numbers don't lie. But I guess you must think that 7 games is no big deal.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM
They will be for the first four games when Warfield's on suspension

I'm not sure of the point you're getting at, so I'm just taking a guess...

Are you saying that you'd rather neglect the weaknesses at OLB or MLB for 16 games to cover a weakness at CB for 4 games?

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree, I just can't see Carl and Lamar handing out $30 mill in signing bonuses to two players, and then signing a LB along with......it's just not the Chiefs style. I think we will get Surtian or Rolle, but not both. However, it would be pretty amazing if we did it and moved Warfield to nickelback. We will probably need 3 CBs on the field a lot anyways, especially in our divisional games.

Giving two players a total of $30M in bonuses and THEN signing another top-tier player isn't ANY TEAM'S style, let alone the Chiefs.