PDA

View Full Version : Some Chiefs talk on the radio soon

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Rick Dean's going to be on crunch time (810) sometime in the next hour and a half (sorry...they didn't give a time).

Grunhard's talking Chiefs on 610 right now, but I'm not sure if they'll have a guest coming up for not.

chop
03-01-2005, 09:14 AM
I just recently got a new computer and I forgot to move my links over from my old one. Can you give me the link please?

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 09:17 AM
http://810whb.com/

http://610sports.com/

Not sure if you can listen live or not, I'm in the KC area.

FYI, Grunhard's had some sort of conversation with Peterson, he's doling out some comments about what Carl said, and will be talking about what CP saw at the combine shortly.

Right now he's blasting Ty Law.

Herzig
03-01-2005, 09:20 AM
http://810whb.com/

http://610sports.com/

Right now he's blasting Ty Law.

Details please for those of us at work!

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure how long I can keep this up, I've got to head in to work myself at some point.

Pat Kirwin's going to be on 610 talking about the combine.

And Grunny got the impression from his talk with CP the Chiefs will be looking at a WR in the draft, although not necessarily early.

chop
03-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks

BigChiefFan
03-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Kirwan gave the stamp of approval on Hartwell. Said he's definitely the best MLBer in FA.

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Fan of Rolle and Smoot both, too, although he did reiterate Meshawn's bit about how Ty Law's one of the few corners who hits.

All in all, really didn't say anything particularly interesting.

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Talk about waffling. For the first ten minutes of the show about an hour ago, Grunhard blasted Ty Law. Now, after talking to Kirwin, he's talking about signing him, and how he's a perfect fit.

ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
any news on Surtan (chiefsplanet spelling)?

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Not so far, no.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Talk about waffling. For the first ten minutes of the show about an hour ago, Grunhard blasted Ty Law. Now, after talking to Kirwin, he's talking about signing him, and how he's a perfect fit.

ROFL

Grunny used to be my all time favorite Chief.

Since he's been on the radio, he's dropped considerably on my list.

I don't think the man has the mental capacity to dress himself in the mornings.

P.S. I've got a autographed Grunhard replica jersey for sale if anyone wants one. :)

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
He's on now.

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Dean sounds like he's expecting some quick signings.

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Smoot back in the mix!! 810 right now!!

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Hartwell is key to pairing with a CB.

We need both, not one or the other.

the Talking Can

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

keg in kc
Smoot sucks.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM

What is he saying?

I should call in and tell him his pimp says, "Holla back".

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
1. Samari Roll coming in tomorrow

2. Surtain scheduled, but more convoluted.
-contract situation makes it complicated
-A player who can definitely help.....no carlton Grey
-wants Big Money....sellers market
-Says CARL HAS to get in game early this FA season
-Chief players Big contracts kick in in 2006 and retirements
-Thinks Fred Smoot is a player in this
-redskins want Rolle...puts smoot in equation.
-Gunther Pushing Hard for Rolle
-Smoot won't command the money of the others.
-Thinks $10Mil signing bonus for smoot.......top end of Lamar's pocket book.............$15mil for rolle in redskins

Ty Law.....
-Still on scooter.....hurt
-"Ty Law is like a nice house in Mission hills.....was great house, but needs alot of rehab"
-too many questions about Law's health.
-Chiefs can't afford to Miss(bad signing)

Chiefs need someone Right NOW who can play.......Rolle, Smoot, Surtain

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Smoot sucks.

Um, okay.

Chiefnj
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
The Chiefs front office is attempting to drive down the asking price for Surtain. Surtain asked for tons of money and the Dolphins asked for a lot of picks. By scheduling all these other corners to come in the Dolphins have to fish or cut bait.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Steadman saying Lamar doesn't have the CASH to make the big moves, like Snyder, because "he has a new stadium".(bullshit)

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
The Chiefs front office is attempting to drive down the asking price for Surtain. Surtain asked for tons of money and the Dolphins asked for a lot of picks. By scheduling all these other corners to come in the Dolphins have to fish or cut bait.

Interesting. :hmmm:

I just hope Carl doesn't f#ck around too long.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Smoot doesn't do well vs Big, Physical WRs and I don't think he'd help improve the Run Defense.

That said........He's a big upgrade.

The Bad Guy
Steadman saying Lamar doesn't have the CASH to make the big moves, like Snyder, because "he has a new stadium".(bullshit)

If they pull the "we're cashed out line" then I'm done following this team closely.

tyton75
I have a feeling we need to get one of these guys at least.. and get them fast before they are snatched up.. I dont' really care which.. they are all better than what we have currently!

and we are probably going to have to overpay a little.. big focking deal!

the Talking Can
Smoot sucks.

at math, maybe..not at CB

tomahawk kid

Please tell me you're joking. I'm going to go through the freaking roof if Jackass actually said this.

Its been documented that Lamar makes over $30 million a SEASON on the Chiefs.

F#cking greedy bastards.

:cuss: :mad: :cuss:

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Interesting. :hmmm:

I just hope Carl doesn't f#ck around too long.

It would'nt be Carl id he didn't. :shake: Come on midnight, get here quicker!!

keg in kc
Smoot has a big mouth. That's about it.

Next corner, please.

the Talking Can
-Thinks $10Mil signing bonus for smoot.......top end of Lamar's pocket book

if $10 mill is their limit then we aren't getting any of the top CBs...

Chiefs Pantalones
03-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I want Surtain because of the times I've watched both he and Rolle, I've seen Rolle get beat more than Surtain.

tomahawk kid
03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I want Surtain because of the times I've watched both he and Rolle, I've seen Rolle get beat more than Surtain.

From everything that I've read, I would expect us to get Surtain before Rolle.

The Bad Guy

Amen.

Honestly, I just wish Hunt would sell the team already.

tyton75
I WANT ANY OF THESE GUYS!!!!

Throw in Hartwell.. and I'll soil myself!

tomahawk kid
Smoot has a big mouth. That's about it.

Next corner, please.

How many 'Skins games did you watch this season?

Chiefs Pantalones
03-01-2005, 10:24 AM

I agree.

Pretty soon, if not already, a $15 million signing bonus will be a bargain in the NFL. The Chiefs better catch up with the times and stop the old fashioned cheap BS or we'll be Super Bowl-less for another 30 years.

Chiefnj
I wish there was as much talk about MLBs and OLBs as there is about corners.

tomahawk kid
Amen.

Honestly, I just wish Hunt would sell the team already.

Or just turn it over to Clark completely.

It's been said here in KC, that Clark is MUCH more competitive than his father and is no Carl Peterson fan.

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I WANT ANY OF THESE GUYS!!!!

Throw in Hartwell.. and I'll soil myself!
:LOL: Amen brother...... that might make Chief fans start to camp out at Arrowhead starting tomorrow! :thumb:

philfree
03-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Please tell me you're joking. I'm going to go through the freaking roof if Jackass actually said this.

F#cking greedy bastards.

I hope they make more then that. That $30mil ain't gonna go far at $15mil a signing bonus.

PhilFree :arrow:

KevB
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I haven't heard anyone else associated with Rolle, other than the Redskins (which now looks like a plug by Rolle's agent), and the Chiefs. Hopefully we can get him in here, sweet talk him, and get him to sign a reasonable deal (and I don't mean cheap, just reasonable). That allows us time to then go get a LB, and we keep our 2nd round pick. All things equal, I'd rather have Surtain than Rolle. But all things aren't equal. It's Surtain, a 2nd round pick, a bit more money, and more red tape having to work out a trade.

tyton75
03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Redskins: Rolle might replace Smoot

THE NEWS

The Redskins are high on free agent cornerback Samari Rolle, who was released by the Titans last week. However, team vice president Vinny Cerrato denied Sunday that the team has entered into serious negotiations with Rolle. Meanwhile, the Washington Post reports that Rolle has requested a $12 million signing bonus.

OUR VIEW

The Chiefs are also contenders in the Rolle sweepstakes. However, Washington might have the inside track on Samari, as he played for Redskins' defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in Tennessee. If Rolle signs with the Skins, it would end of Fred Smoot's run with the team. Smoot will become a free agent on Wednesday if the Skins do not re-sign him before then.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:37 AM

I don't like the "cash" excuse.

But it's hardly bullshit.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Redskins: Rolle might replace Smoot

THE NEWS

The Redskins are high on free agent cornerback Samari Rolle, who was released by the Titans last week. However, team vice president Vinny Cerrato denied Sunday that the team has entered into serious negotiations with Rolle. Meanwhile, the Washington Post reports that Rolle has requested a $12 million signing bonus.

OUR VIEW

The Chiefs are also contenders in the Rolle sweepstakes. However, Washington might have the inside track on Samari, as he played for Redskins' defensive coordinator Gregg Williams in Tennessee. If Rolle signs with the Skins, it would end of Fred Smoot's run with the team. Smoot will become a free agent on Wednesday if the Skins do not re-sign him before then.

There was a Washington reporter on 610 today who said the Redskins aren't interested in Rolle, and that the whole story was bogus.

Who knows.

Mark M
03-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Any of these CBs (Law, Surtain, Rolle, even Dyson), are an upgrade over the bums we've got now.

What I wanna know is when Hartwell will be in town for a visit. Either he or Bell, along with a CB, would make me crazy happy.

MM
~~:arrow:

KevB
03-01-2005, 11:11 AM
There was a Washington reporter on 610 today who said the Redskins aren't interested in Rolle, and that the whole story was bogus.

Who knows.

Rolle's agent knows Snyder's rep for throwing around money. So he floats that the Skins are willing to give Rolle $15M, hoping it will cause other teams to jump into a bidding war. The Skins called them on it, and now Rolle has no more bargaining power than he did before. Don't be fooled by "reports"....agents are working overtime right now, trying to drum up interest in their clients (even if it's made up entirely). And newspaper reporter are more and more inclined to run with a scoop without verification.

vckcchiefs04
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Mark M]Any of these CBs (Law, Surtain, Rolle, even Dyson), are an upgrade over the bums we've got now.

Congrats to Mark for the understatment of the year!! :thumb: There are cardboard cutouts that could give Bartee a run for his money. :shake:

Bowser
03-01-2005, 11:19 AM

Steadman can blow it out his ass. Lamar has more money than God. I guess the question becomes, does Lamar want to win another Super Bowl before he dies?

Bowser
03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't like the "cash" excuse.

But it's hardly bullshit.

I call bullshit. The point is if Lamar is willing to open the checkbook and give money to these top tier players.

Mark M
03-01-2005, 11:22 AM
There are cardboard cutouts that could give Bartee a run for his money. :shake:

Well, considering that Bartee has the same number of INTs as my 83-year-old grandmother, I can't say I disagree ...

MM
~~:sulk:

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 11:27 AM
I don't want to ever hear the "cash" excuse. Ever. You spend every dollar that is available under the cap. There is no cash issue. Are you saying your broke? Do you need to borrow money? 33 million profit isn't enough to keep you from having financial difficulties?

I call :BS:

Frankie
03-01-2005, 11:29 AM

It's been said here in KC, that Clark is MUCH more competitive than his father and is no Carl Peterson fan.

Lamar has already proven his loyalty to KC. The younger Clark is the one more likely to move the team I'm afraid.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I call bullshit. The point is if Lamar is willing to open the checkbook and give money to these top tier players.

Let's say you had a landscaping business and a computer repair business.

Would you borrow money from the computer repair business to pay for the landscaping business? That's effectively what Lamar would have to do.

Lamar makes roughly enough on the Chiefs to pay for 2 of these guys. Daniel Snyder makes almost FOUR TIMES what the Chiefs make in annual revenue.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I don't want to ever hear the "cash" excuse. Ever. You spend every dollar that is available under the cap. There is no cash issue. Are you saying your broke? Do you need to borrow money? 33 million profit isn't enough to keep you from having financial difficulties?

I see you still don't know the difference between cash and the cap. Nothing like remaining ignorant and continuing to bitch...

patteeu
03-01-2005, 11:32 AM

F#cking greedy bastards.

Knowing that Lamar makes $30 mil per year on the Chiefs tells you very little. If he's making that $30 mil on a $100 mil investment then he's making a huge profit (30%) and he might deserve criticism if he pockets that money. But if he's making that $30 mil on an investment of $1 bil then his return is only 3% and that means he's already accepting a significantly smaller return than he could expect from a proper investment. No doubt, the truth is somewhere in between those two extremes, but I don't think it's fair to jump to the conclusion that Lamar is being a cheapass without knowing more.

Dave Lane
03-01-2005, 11:35 AM
If they pull the "we're cashed out line" then I'm done following this team closely.

Lamar has more money than God.

Dave

patteeu
03-01-2005, 11:35 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that that is more likely wishful thinking than informed judgement on the part of those who have been saying such things.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Knowing that Lamar makes $30 mil per year on the Chiefs tells you very little. If he's making that $30 mil on a $100 mil investment then he's making a huge profit (30%) and he might deserve criticism if he pockets that money. But if he's making that $30 mil on an investment of $1 bil then his return is only 3% and that means he's already accepting a significantly smaller return than he could expect from a proper investment. No doubt, the truth is somewhere in between those two extremes, but I don't think it's fair to jump to the conclusion that Lamar is being a cheapass without knowing more.

Precisely.

Most of us here have never seen $100,000 in one lump sum, let alone $30M.

And yet, we speak of it as if we deal with it every day.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Would you borrow money from the computer repair business to pay for the landscaping business? That's effectively what Lamar would have to do.

Lamar makes roughly enough on the Chiefs to pay for 2 of these guys. Daniel Snyder makes almost FOUR TIMES what the Chiefs make in annual revenue.
Doesn't have to borrow from his business. Built in revenue from the NFL and the NFL loans all of its teams money. Like a interest free cash advance every year against monies coming in at the end of the year.
This is what I remember from a Clayton article on espn earlier this year. Every team gets this money. These are last years figures.
Gatorade 500,000
Direct TV 5.5 mil
TV contract 78 mil
Visa 8.1 mil
thats approx 92 million before a single ticket, beer or parking sale is done.

I thought King Carl was a financial genius? Why does he not have cash with this kind of dough to throw around?

Dave Lane
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Lamar Hunt has focused his energy on pro sports for years—he co-founded the American Football League and the North American Soccer League and owned pro football's Kansas City Chiefs—and he's not done yet: At 69, he is a part owner of pro basketball's Chicago Bulls and owns two Major League Soccer franchises, in Columbus, Ohio, and Kansas City, Missouri the chairman of Dallas-based Hunt Oil; his net worth is an estimated $2.3 billion, according to Forbes.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 11:39 AM

I understand your point, and I agree. But in this case, I really don't think Lamar is living check to check in all of his various endeavors to keep them afloat. I feel extremely confident in saying that if Lamar so desired, he could go and hand out three or four signing bonuses of 15+ million, and not be in any real danger of going bankrupt in any of his interests. I believe that Lamar is just old fashioned enough to not want to give players so much money, because he remembers what it was like for players "back in the day". I have no proof to back up that statement other than the Chiefs' history in dealing with free agents.

Lamar does not spend money because Lamar chooses not to spend money.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 11:39 AM

This is talk radio fodder. It gets repeated so often, it's now taken as a truth.
That said, we better sign one of these guys. TWO of these guys...

patteeu
03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Doesn't have to borrow from his business. Built in revenue from the NFL and the NFL loans all of its teams money. Like a interest free cash advance every year against monies coming in at the end of the year.
This is what I remember from a Clayton article on espn earlier this year. Every team gets this money. These are last years figures.
Gatorade 500,000
Direct TV 5.5 mil
TV contract 78 mil
Visa 8.1 mil

I thought King Carl was a financial genius? Why does he not have cash with this kind of dough to throw around?

How much are the Chiefs' current operating costs?

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Gatorade 500,000
Direct TV 5.5 mil
TV contract 78 mil
Visa 8.1 mil

Care to throw in how much it costs to operate the team? It seems to me operating expenses would be a key component in figuring the performance of a business.

Kclee
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM

Well, in doing so, wouldn't that help the landscaping business put out a better product = more money. The Chiefs didn't raise ticket prices because they didn't upgrade the team last year. They didn't put any money into the team so they didn't make as much as they could. Investing could very well put us in the playoffs with home field games. No playoffs this last year= no extra money.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Lamar Hunt has focused his energy on pro sports for years—he co-founded the American Football League and the North American Soccer League and owned pro football's Kansas City Chiefs—and he's not done yet: At 69, he is a part owner of pro basketball's Chicago Bulls and owns two Major League Soccer franchises, in Columbus, Ohio, and Kansas City, Missouri the chairman of Dallas-based Hunt Oil; his net worth is an estimated $2.3 billion, according to Forbes.

I'm guessing that he didn't get to be worth $2.3 billion by throwing away millions of dollars on an investment with fixed revenues.

If he spends $30M of non-football money on the Chiefs, they'll generate somewhere between $20M and $30M of revenue. If he spends ZERO money on the Chiefs, they'll still generate somewhere between $20M and $30M.

As football fans, we don't want to acknowledge that fact.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I understand your point, and I agree. But in this case, I really don't think Lamar is living check to check in all of his various endeavors to keep them afloat. I feel extremely confident in saying that if Lamar so desired, he could go and hand out three or four signing bonuses of 15+ million, and not be in any real danger of going bankrupt in any of his interests. I believe that Lamar is just old fashioned enough to not want to give players so much money, because he remembers what it was like for players "back in the day". I have no proof to back up that statement other than the Chiefs' history in dealing with free agents.

Lamar does not spend money because Lamar chooses not to spend money.

See my previous post.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Well, in doing so, wouldn't that help the landscaping business put out a better product = more money. The Chiefs didn't raise ticket prices because they didn't upgrade the team last year. They didn't put any money into the team so they didn't make as much as they could. Investing could very well put us in the playoffs with home field games. No playoffs this last year= no extra money.

Ticket prices = football revenue.

What people seem to be suggesting is that he borrow money from Hunt Oil, or the Chicago Bulls, to pay for upgrades to the Chiefs.

Which is BAD BUSINESS. It may not make for good football, but it's still bad business.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Care to throw in how much it costs to operate the team? It seems to me operating expenses would be a key component in figuring the performance of a business.

Well the cap was 78 mil last year. That leaves 12 mil for operating expenses before a single ticket, beer or parking ticket is sold. And lest we forget all local revenue from advertising, rights fees.

My point is that this is not the Royals. They make a profit every year. They sell out their stadium. There is no reason for us to believe that there bank account has no cash in it. Do I know this for sure? Do I have access to their operating budget or their bank account records? No. call it a hunch. :rolleyes:

Dave Lane
03-01-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing that he didn't get to be worth $2.3 billion by throwing away millions of dollars on an investment with fixed revenues.

If he spends $30M of non-football money on the Chiefs, they'll generate somewhere between $20M and $30M of revenue. If he spends ZERO money on the Chiefs, they'll still generate somewhere between $20M and $30M.

As football fans, we don't want to acknowledge that fact.

If thats true own a frickking bank! If you don't want to win games and have a passion for the game go do something else. Course he has like 62 ventures so I guess he is.

Arrggh I hate being a Chiefs fan if this is true.

Dave

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Well the cap was 78 mil last year. That leaves 12 mil for operating expenses before a single ticket, beer or parking ticket is sold. And lest we forget all local revenue from advertising, rights fees.

My point is that this is not the Royals. They make a profit every year. They sell out their stadium. There is no reason for us to believe that there bank account has no cash in it. Do I know this for sure? Do I have access to their operating budget or their bank account records? No. call it a hunch. :rolleyes:

Let me say this one more time, because you're either refusing to listen or can't comprehend...

The "cap" and "revenue" are two COMPLETELY SEPARATE THINGS.

Operating expenses, tickets, beer, parking, all of that have ZERO BEARING ON THE CAP.

The cap is an arbitrary number presented by the NFL to control salaries and create competition.

Just as there is no reason for us to believe that their bank account is empty, there is no reason for us to believe that it's full.

That's the difference between you and me - I'm willing to concede that I really don't know instead of just bitching incessantly.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
If thats true own a frickking bank! If you don't want to win games and have a passion for the game go do something else. Course he has like 62 ventures so I guess he is.

Arrggh I hate being a Chiefs fan if this is true.

Dave

I ABSOLUTELY 100% agree.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Ticket prices = football revenue.

What people seem to be suggesting is that he borrow money from Hunt Oil, or the Chicago Bulls, to pay for upgrades to the Chiefs.

Which is BAD BUSINESS. It may not make for good football, but it's still bad business.

You're acting like Lamar owns some mom and pop shop along with the Chiefs.

If you're an owner of a team that is getting up there in age and that team hasn't done anything since 1993, then you should be willing to dip into your other successful assets to get the players necessary to field a SB team.

I don't know. If my name was on the AFC Champions trophy I would want to hold it once more before I die.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM

If you're an owner of a team that is getting up there in age and that team hasn't done anything since 1993, then you should be willing to dip into your other successful assets to get the players necessary to field a SB team.

I don't know. If my name was on the AFC Champions trophy I would want to hold it once more before I die.

I don't disagree with you.

I'm also not Lamar Hunt.

I have a relative who is a millionaire. Said relative BECAME a millionaire by such things as buying a can of Hormel chili (not chili CONCENTRATE) and adding 5 cans of water to it.

I'm guessing (based solely on his age, I'll admit) that Lamar is one of those that feels he got rich by being "careful" (aka frugal).

Bowser
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM

Beat me to it.

Parker, I absolutely agree with what you have been saying. But I think it's fair to say that a football team cannot be run with the sole intent of keeping a 20-30 mil profit year in and year out, without dumping some extra cash into it to ensure continued success, especially with free agency. Yes, there may be a hit in the pocketbook for a year, maybe two, but if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, profits will absolutely skyrocket! And, Carl can blow his wad raising ticket prices, ala the New England Patriots.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 12:02 PM

why ... if the bottomline is $30 million dollars in profit per year then it really doesn't matter... does it?

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Beat me to it.

Parker, I absolutely agree with what you have been saying. But I think it's fair to say that a football team cannot be run with the sole intent of keeping a 20-30 mil profit year in and year out, without dumping some extra cash into it to ensure continued success, especially with free agency. Yes, there may be a hit in the pocketbook for a year, maybe two, but if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, profits will absolutely skyrocket! And, Carl can blow his wad raising ticket prices, ala the New England Patriots.

It's so easy for us to see isn't it? On one hand, that suggests to me that maybe Lamar is too focused on the wrong things.

On the other hand, it suggests to me that perhaps we have no idea what it takes to run a football team.

I've already readily admitted that I sincerely have no idea.

Kclee
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
On the other hand, it suggests to me that perhaps we have no idea what it takes to run a football team.

I actually know how to run a football team. I stayed at a Holiday Express last night.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
why ... if the bottomline is $30 million dollars in profit per year then it really doesn't matter... does it?

Is that truly profit or is it revenue? I don't know. We were talking about revenue, at which point, yes...operating expenses do matter.

|Zach|
03-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I actually know how to run a football team. I stayed at a Holiday Express last night.
ROFL

KCTitus
03-01-2005, 12:09 PM
'Profit' on a P/L doesnt actually mean liquid cash in the bank...Im not going to bother to explain the difference because Im sure Laz, BCF, et al, dont care.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 12:11 PM
'Profit' on a P/L doesnt actually mean liquid cash in the bank...Im not going to bother to explain the difference because Im sure Laz, BCF, et al, dont care.

It's trivial crap.

The SOLID evidence is this:

Lamar doesn't want to win. He sits on piles of cash in his luxury box.... yada yada yada et al

Chiefnj
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
To be fair, Lamar did spend a lot of money this past season on Nachos for Holmes.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM

ROFL

patteeu
03-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Beat me to it.

A year or two ago, Lamar Hunt explicitly said he was willing to do this in an interview with Kevin Keitzman on 810AM (WHB). When asked something along the lines of whether he'd rather make a profit or win a superbowl, his answer included the following points (paraphrasing):

* he is very interested in winning a Super Bowl

* the Chiefs are a business

* to remain in business the goal HAS to be to be profitable (or at least break even) over the long run

* he would gladly trade a temporary loss for a superbowl

My only other point would be to guess (without knowing either of you personally) that Lamar Hunt knows as much or more about what makes a business profitable than you do.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
A year or two ago, Lamar Hunt explicitly said he was willing to do this in an interview with Kevin Keitzman on 810AM (WHB). When asked something along the lines of whether he'd rather make a profit or win a superbowl, his answer included the following points (paraphrasing):

* he is very interested in winning a Super Bowl

* the Chiefs are a business

* to remain in business the goal HAS to be to be profitable (or at least break even) over the long run

* he would gladly trade a temporary loss for a superbowl

My only other point would be to guess (without knowing either of you personally) that Lamar Hunt knows as much or more about what makes a business profitable than you do.

I know how to be a billionaire. I just choose not to be.

yeah, that's it....

Cochise
03-01-2005, 12:26 PM
OMGZ LAMAR DOESN'T WANT TO WIN... CARL HAS TEH MONEY BUT WONT SPENDZ IT!!!!!!! OMGZ!!!!!! CARL IS TEH SUK!!!!1111

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:28 PM

yeah, that's it....

:D

Bowser
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
OMGZ LAMAR DOESN'T WANT TO WIN... CARL HAS TEH MONEY BUT WONT SPENDZ IT!!!!!!! OMGZ!!!!!! CARL IS TEH SUK!!!!1111

NOW you're getting it! Go have some ice cream!

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Let me say this one more time, because you're either refusing to listen or can't comprehend...

The "cap" and "revenue" are two COMPLETELY SEPARATE THINGS.

Operating expenses, tickets, beer, parking, all of that have ZERO BEARING ON THE CAP.

The cap is an arbitrary number presented by the NFL to control salaries and create competition.

Just as there is no reason for us to believe that their bank account is empty, there is no reason for us to believe that it's full.

That's the difference between you and me - I'm willing to concede that I really don't know instead of just bitching incessantly.

I know they are the same. You are not listening or comprhending what I'm saying.

The cap $'s and the operating expenses come out of the same bank account, Lamar's. Thats all I'm saying. He has the cash if he wants to. I know it because Kclee told me so and he stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Dave Lane
03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
NOW you're getting it! Go have some ice cream!

Can I have pie with it?

Dave

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I know they are the same. You are not listening or comprhending what I'm saying.

The cap $'s and the operating expenses come out of the same bank account, Lamar's. Thats all I'm saying. He has the cash if he wants to. I know it because Kclee told me so and he stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night.

At this point I'm not comprehending. I think it's largely due to the fact that you make absolutely zero sense.

mikey23545
03-01-2005, 12:55 PM

You're right. Owning the team should be a hobby for Hunt, not a money-making venture.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 01:05 PM
You're right. Owning the team should be a hobby for Hunt, not a money-making venture.

I guess you make absolutely zero sense to htismage also STFU

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I guess you make absolutely zero sense to htismage also STFU

I had thought that you weren't making sense because of a typo...

You said:

Now I'm wondering if you're just dumb.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I had thought that you weren't making sense because of a typo...

You said:

Now I'm wondering if you're just dumb.

I am. Just ask anyone.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
To be fair, Lamar did spend a lot of money this past season on Nachos for Holmes.

ROFL

SBK
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/02/10/thomas_services_ap/t1_peterson_ap_01.jpg
"We can't afford top notch free agents."

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/supplements/bmp/00/image/23a_dr_dre.gif
"I don't respect dat azz, so it's time for da docta ta check dat azz!"

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Is that truly profit or is it revenue? I don't know. We were talking about revenue, at which point, yes...operating expenses do matter.]

profit = profit

they had showed the value of the team has gone up like 70 million this last year and showed a profit of $30 million.

forbes i think..

patteeu
03-01-2005, 01:40 PM

yeah, that's it....

:) No offense intended by my comparison of Lamar's business skills against some guy I read on the internet. ;)

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 01:42 PM
1. Buy NFL team
3. Profit!

NFL team BIG business!

http://www.oasa.asn.au/news11/Image452.jpg

Ebolapox
03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
ROFL

it's WAY overdue, that underpant's gnome reference, saul

-EB-

tk13
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
You know, that profit number gets mutilated quite a bit. Nobody knows how much profit was made this last season, but the last Forbes report for the previous season was 24 million, not 30 million. That could be huge difference when people are asking for 15 million dollars up front.

It is also huge when guys with new stadiums like Dan Snyder can go out and spend twice of 24 million and not bat an eyelash and turn a great profit. Some of you people just cannot comprehend this. If it comes down to us and the Skins, and Rolle gets 15 million dollars, it would mean we had what, 10-15 million at most left over.... Snyder would have what, 40-50 million left over? Maybe even more.... complain all you want when people say we can't compete with teams like the Skins financially, but it's the truth. Now given Lamar's health and the state of this franchise at the moment, I certainly understand why people think the money should be going nuts.... but even if it were I don't think we could compete with Snyder or the Eagles or others.... if we only made 25 million profit and go out and sign a couple 15-20 mil signing bonus guys and some smaller FA's, we'd be losing 15-20 million dollars. Last offseason when signing bonuses shot into the 15-20 million range for elite players really threw the whole system out of whack...

DaWolf
03-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Besides the Chiefs are consistently near the top of the league in terms of player salaries. People equate "spending money" with going out and getting new guys every year. The Chiefs spend plenty of money, but their philosophy is aimed more towards keeping their own guys. They had no issues paying Trent Green. No issues paying Priest Holmes. Will Shields got paid. They paid Eric Warfield. They paid Willie Roaf. They paid Tony Gonzalez. And so forth. It is just a philosophy of this organization, mainly Carl, that they want to retain and pay their own guys. This is the polar opposite of Dan Snyder who is getting rid of guys every year in order to get the newest flavor of the month. Both teams spend. But spending on guys who aren't with your team makes it look like you are that much more of a big spender while making the other guy look cheap.

And it is very true that Snyder has a helluva lot more cash to spend with the revenues he gets from that stadium. And he does it. The Chiefs certainly don't have the same amount of cash. But they aren't "cheap" either...

Mark M
03-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Exactly how many playoff wins do the 'Skins have since Snyder took over? Zero? One, maybe?

The point is that no amount of money guarantees anything except less money. It's spending money the right way for the right people that matters.

Hopefully, Carl and Co. will do that this year.

MM
~~:grovel:

Lzen
03-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Exactly how many playoff wins do the 'Skins have since Snyder took over? Zero? One, maybe?

The point is that no amount of money guarantees anything except less money. It's spending money the right way for the right people that matters.

Hopefully, Carl and Co. will do that this year.

MM
~~:grovel:

Exactly!! :thumb: Why is this so hard for people to understand? I think we need to get rid of our draft scouts, though. We can't seem to draft high round talent.

Mark M
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Exactly!! :thumb: Why is this so hard for people to understand? I think we need to get rid of our draft scouts, though. We can't seem to draft high round talent.

The Chiefs scouting department definitely needs to be taken out back and shot.

MM
~~:bang:

crossbow
03-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Any of these CBs (Law, Surtain, Rolle, even Dyson), are an upgrade over the bums we've got now.

What I wanna know is when Hartwell will be in town for a visit. Either he or Bell, along with a CB, would make me crazy happy.

MM
~~:arrow:

Yeah, Carl insisted that Lou Bush couldn't leave town until he was signed so he can do the same for a player that is actualy good.

JohnnyV13
03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't disagree with you.

I'm also not Lamar Hunt.

I have a relative who is a millionaire. Said relative BECAME a millionaire by such things as buying a can of Hormel chili (not chili CONCENTRATE) and adding 5 cans of water to it.

I'm guessing (based solely on his age, I'll admit) that Lamar is one of those that feels he got rich by being "careful" (aka frugal).

Lamar INHEIRETED his money. He didn't get it by being frugal. Though Lamar DID see his brothers crash and burn their fortunes in the early 80's when they tried to corner the silver market and got in trouble with the SEC.

booger
03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I agree.

Pretty soon, if not already, a $15 million signing bonus will be a bargain in the NFL. The Chiefs better catch up with the times and stop the old fashioned cheap BS or we'll be Super Bowl-less for another 30 years.
:thumb: Agree totally.

Which is why hopefully anyway, they make a run this year and push for a new stadium. To hell with renovation. A new stadium would take care of the money problems. Now we just need a super bowl or a serious playoff run. :)

easier said than done.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes those $10 million signing bonus's for Trent, Tony G and Priest seem like bargains now.

Logical
03-02-2005, 01:19 AM

As football fans, we don't want to acknowledge that fact.I acknowledge it completely. It is about Lamar's lack of desire to win a championship. The amount of money we are talking about could be spent for a minimum of 5 years and barely touch the interest Lamar makes on his fortune. If he truly wanted a Championship the cash would be a trifling.