PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching the Ultimate Fighter?

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Bobby Southworth was my personal instructor under Ralph Gracie before they got into it. They just ripped him off BIG TIME on that last fight, that just wasn't right.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I watched it last week...but not this week. Its got potential.

I'm not even sure which night it was on.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Too bad it's almost as fake as wrestling. I've never seen more fairy punches in my life.

seclark
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Too bad it's almost as fake as wrestling. I've never seen more fairy punches in my life.
really?
sec

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
really?
sec

That reality show about Ultimate fighters? Yes. Totally phony. I'm not saying the real UFC tournaments are, but that show is. For a bunch of proffesional fighters, I've never seen more punches that do nothing. If I was rolling around on the ground fighting someone, I'd do more damage in one punch than those guys do for three rounds.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
That reality show about Ultimate fighters? Yes. Totally phony. I'm not saying the real UFC tournaments are, but that show is. For a bunch of proffesional fighters, I've never seen more punches that do nothing. If I was rolling around on the ground fighting someone, I'd do more damage in one punch than those guys do for three rounds.

Bobby fought Vitor Belfort in the Ultimate and knocked out his first opponent in this Ultimate Fighter. Just because the grapplers win sometimes and avoid getting hit doesn't make it fake bro. Sounds like WWE is more in line with you should be watching anyway.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Bobby fought Vitor Belfort in the Ultimate and knocked out his first opponent in this Ultimate Fighter. Just because the grapplers win sometimes and avoid getting hit doesn't make it fake bro. Sounds like WWE is more in line with you should be watching anyway.

I'm not sure what your WWE comment is all about. Apparently someone is attached to the show...

Admittedly I've only seen a few of the matches, but the punches those guys throw are phony..at least the ones I've seen. Grappler or not, they are on the ground throwing half punches at the back of the guy's head, when they could be smashing the guy's face in. I've worn those gloves, and they provide almost zero padding. There should be blood drawn on nearly every punch to the face from these "pros".

Radar Chief
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM

That’s really easy to say, until you're on the mat.
You go flailing away against a good grappler and he’ll grab that free arm and do things nature never meant to happen with it.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I used to work out with some guys that did this, one who was top 10 UFC, and have sparred with a couple of the Militich trained guys.

I'm a natural grappler, but not a trained fighter...just a "quick hands" partner for a couple of guys who could show them wrestling throws, holds and arm bars.........I can tell you, that those 10" punches to the ribs ad up and hurt.......same with the knot on the back of your head....even when you're just dicking around training......and I didn't think it was very fake when my elbow was dislocated either.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
That’s really easy to say, until you're on the mat.
You go flailing away against a good grappler and he’ll grab that free arm and do things nature never meant to happen with it.

That doesn't explain why they can throw open handed punches at the back of the guys head, but not at their face. Have you watched it? I can't believe anyone who's watched that show thinks these guys are giving 100%. When they have guys at thier most vulnerable, they definately let off on the punching.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I'll try to pay a little closer attention next time I watch. I've only watched once, and didn't think it looked fake, but I wasn't watching that closely.

I watched the one with the grappler with the white fro vs the Red Head kid.

BIG_DADDY
I'm not sure what your WWE comment is all about. Apparently someone is attached to the show...

Admittedly I've only seen a few of the matches, but the punches those guys throw are phony..at least the ones I've seen. Grappler or not, they are on the ground throwing half punches at the back of the guy's head, when they could be smashing the guy's face in. I've worn those gloves, and they provide almost zero padding. There should be blood drawn on nearly every punch to the face from these "pros".

Well Bobby Knocked out the first guy and cut this last guy I'm not sure what your looking for. I know a lot of people in MMA and their opinions are different about the series but I have yet to hear one of them suggest it's fake that's just ludicrous. I think the series is OK at best but I am not a real fan of it but saying it's fake dude, come on. UFC would lose all credibilty in the MMA world if they did that. Can you say NOT HAPPENING?

Radar Chief
I can tell you, that those 10" punches to the ribs ad up and hurt.......same with the knot on the back of your head....

Agreed, it’s also hard to get more than a 10” punch in when you on the mat. It’s not like you can just sit back and wail on someone.

Radar Chief
03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
That doesn't explain why they can throw open handed punches at the back of the guys head, but not at their face. Have you watched it? I can't believe anyone who's watched that show thinks these guys are giving 100%. When they have guys at thier most vulnerable, they definately let off on the punching.

Yes, I’ve watched every episode so far, although I missed last nights.
I just don’t think you know what you’re talking about on this one. I’ve yet to see anyone on that show “let up”.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
I used to work out with some guys that did this, one who was top 10 UFC, and have sparred with a couple of the Militich trained guys.

I had wondered if any of our Iowa posters had worked w/ the Militich crew. Now I know at least one has. :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Yes, I’ve watched every episode so far, although I missed last nights.
I just don’t think you know what you’re talking about on this one. I’ve yet to see anyone on that show “let up”.

Last nights fight was by far the best so far. Bobby got ripped off though. Nobody died though so it muct be fake. Maybe they need a little WWE phoney blood or something.

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't want to go that far HC.

I don't know Pat, but saw him a couple of times.
A couple of guys that worked with him(before the name was really big)....like 1998...and a couple of guys who were working with him came to our gym a few times to work out with some of the other guys.

I never competed, but considered it.......but it just wasn't my thing I guess. I mostly boxed with Hoffman, and showed wrestling things to some other guys...and sparred, but not full boar.

I don't want to make out like I'm a big billy badass, because any of those guys would have Effed me Up I think.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Well Bobby Knocked out the first guy and cut this last guy I'm not sure what your looking for. I know a lot of people in MMA and their opinions are different about the series but I have yet to hear one of them suggest it's fake that's just ludicrous. I think the series is OK at best but I am not a real fan of it but saying it's fake dude, come on. UFC would lose all credibilty in the MMA world if they did that. Can you say NOT HAPPENING?

Maybe we're talking about different shows. Are you talking About the "reality series" that basically has two teams with trainers teaching Up-and-comers? I don't think it's 100% fake, it just seems like anytime anyone gets someone in a vulnerable spot, they start coming at them from odd angles instead of just finishing the guy off. I'll also say that every match I've seen has gone to the mat, since it's always been grapplers against punchers.

I'm not just armchair QBing either. Des Moines used have weekly "no holds barred" style fighting at a local bar, which I entered 5 times. I'd say 80% of the time, at least one guy got a broken nose, not to mention a hamburgered head. These guys are ten times as bad as anyone I ever watched or faced, yet they come up with a mat burn and a lump.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Heh, no worries... I didn't think you were Billy Badass... more like his little sister :p

A buddy of mine used to teach Vale Tudo. I love the sport... have absolutely zero interest in competing - even if I <i>were</i> "Billy Badass" :D A fighter's life is rough; and a lot more work than I'm willing to commit

Radar Chief
03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Last nights fight was by far the best so far. Bobby got ripped off though. Nobody died though so it muct be fake. Maybe they need a little WWE phoney blood or something.

Have someone on the side occasionally throw in a folding chair. :thumb:

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I had a friend that was like 11-2 at Toad Holler.

It didn't take long before that was more like Club fighting than just locals though. Some tough dudes in there the couple of times I watched.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 11:03 AM

OK whatever. We'll just disagree. All your childish comments don't add much though.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I had a friend that was like 11-2 at Toad Holler.

It didn't take long before that was more like Club fighting than just locals though. Some tough dudes in there the couple of times I watched.

Yep. Toad-holler. It got to the point where it would be a few matches between drunk friends (even though you were supposed to be sober). Then they'd have a few of the "defending champs" fight guys that they'd pay to get in the ring with them. Some of those guys really open your eyes to what a bad-ass really is.

The last time I did it, it had moved to a West Des Moines sports bar (3rd base) that mu buddy owns. The first night, they were having trouble getting guys in the ring so I volunteered to do my buddy a favor. Besides being out of shape, I'm now fat enough to go against the real big boys. It was a major mistake.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 11:20 AM
OK whatever. We'll just disagree. All your childish comments don't add much though.

I'll tell you what doesn't add up to much is your opinion. How many fights have you seen? Nobody I know from the MMA world thinks this is fake, either does anyone here. Your the only one dude.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I'll tell you what doesn't add up to much is your opinion. How many fights have you seen? Nobody I know from the MMA world thinks this is fake, either does anyone here. Your the only one dude.

Admittedly, I've only watched maybe three matches on that show. I quit watching because it looked less than 100% to me. It certainly doesn't measure up to the UFC stuff I've seen. No need to take it personally.

unlurking
03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
It doesn't look fake, but the guys look REALLY nervous in there. The fact that they're mostly rookies in elimination matches makes my thinking lead to them trying not to lose harder than trying to win. Most of them don't have the experience to let their instincts take over so probably tend to overthink their moves as well.

I've only seen a few episodes, but that Chris, Bobby, and "white-fro" (can't remember his name) are annoying as hell. How much you wanna bet next weeks "return fighter" is Chris?

cdcox
03-01-2005, 11:48 AM
I saw last night's show and one other episode. I like the matches, but could do without all the reality BS.

I thought they should have gone to the tiebreaker round. I'm not sure how the scoring works in this, but the way I saw it, Southworth did more damage, but the other dude was the agressor and may have had more hits. Judgement call could go either way, again, depending on the scoring system used.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Admittedly, I've only watched maybe three matches on that show. I quit watching because it looked less than 100% to me. It certainly doesn't measure up to the UFC stuff I've seen. No need to take it personally.

Bobby already fought Vitor Belfort. He has already had a title shot.

Duck Dog
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Bobby Southworth was my personal instructor under Ralph Gracie before they got into it. They just ripped him off BIG TIME on that last fight, that just wasn't right.

I love that show. I thought it should have went to a third round.

jspchief
03-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Bobby already fought Vitor Belfort. He has already had a title shot.
Okay. That still doesn't change that fact that what I've seen on the show doesn't measure up to the UFC stuff I've seen. It didn't have near the ferocity and came off as less than 100% effort/realism.

Obviously, we don't agree. I'll probably give it another look due to what you and others have said, but until I watch more and am convinced, I'm holding to my opinion that what I saw looked phony.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 12:41 PM
I love that show. I thought it should have went to a third round.

Hated to see Bobby lose. He is really a good guy and not the punk some thinks he comes across as on the show. It still amazes me that people love a guy who pisses on peoples beds and says he wants to mame people but hate the guy who messes with him back.

i would have like to seen it go 3 too but everyone I know who saw the fight thought Bobby had won if you call it there.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Okay. That still doesn't change that fact that what I've seen on the show doesn't measure up to the UFC stuff I've seen. It didn't have near the ferocity and came off as less than 100% effort/realism.

Obviously, we don't agree. I'll probably give it another look due to what you and others have said, but until I watch more and am convinced, I'm holding to my opinion that what I saw looked phony.

These guys are fighting for a contract in the UFC and are not the top ranked fighters out there and are not going to be as good. Phony though, come on dude.

Freekofnature
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Its professional fighting.

Its not easy to land punches against professionally trained fighters.

Anyone who think it is fake I have clips of the fighting that I can send through email or something.

Its brutal stuff.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Anyone who think it is fake I have clips of the fighting that I can send through email or something.

Its brutal stuff.

I am just glad to see there are more people watching this stuff. I used to post a thread and it would just die if Radar wasn't around. If you enjoy athletic competition and gameness I don't know how you don't love this stuff.

KC Kings
03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Hated to see Bobby lose. He is really a good guy and not the punk some thinks he comes across as on the show. It still amazes me that people love a guy who pisses on peoples beds and says he wants to mame people but hate the guy who messes with him back.

i would have like to seen it go 3 too but everyone I know who saw the fight thought Bobby had won if you call it there.
Time Warner cable offers INHD1 and INHD2 for their hi def packages. I don't watch this show, but INHD shows a lot of UFC and K2 matches. Sometimes the punches seem soft, but you have to be tentative when throwing punches. Just watch a couple of these bouts and you will see plenty of instances where one guy is pounding the other, and the next thing you know he is in an arm bar tapping out.

The worst is the toe hold. Nothing could be more humilating than a professional fighter tapping out because his pinky toe hurt! (not saying I wouldn't give up too)

Freekofnature
03-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I am just glad to see there are more people watching this stuff. I used to post a thread and it would just die if Radar wasn't around. If you enjoy athletic competition and gameness I don't know how you don't love this stuff.
Its great stuff. Its got potential.

Its just that it isnt animated or exciting as WWE, but if its totally fake where the real excitment?

By the way Im a huge Couture fan.

Radar Chief
03-01-2005, 03:02 PM

I wouldn’t go say’n that, I was glad Chris lost and thought it was funny he went outside cry’n afterwards. ‘Specially after all the shit he talked.

Pants
03-01-2005, 03:11 PM

Its brutal stuff.

JSP is talking about the reality show on Spike, I think, not the real UFC you get to see on demand. Of course that shit is real and brutal. But he isn't talking about that, he's talking about a reality series. I've only seen one episode of the Spike show, though, and it looked pretty real to me, of course at that time they were only practicing, so IDK.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Time Warner cable offers INHD1 and INHD2 for their hi def packages. I don't watch this show, but INHD shows a lot of UFC and K2 matches. Sometimes the punches seem soft, but you have to be tentative when throwing punches. Just watch a couple of these bouts and you will see plenty of instances where one guy is pounding the other, and the next thing you know he is in an arm bar tapping out.

The worst is the toe hold. Nothing could be more humilating than a professional fighter tapping out because his pinky toe hurt! (not saying I wouldn't give up too)

It's all fake. jsp said so and he's been there. :shake:

Pants
03-01-2005, 04:20 PM
It's all fake. jsp said so and he's been there. :shake:

Dude, he was talking about the TV series, not the UFC (I think, at least).

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I wouldn’t go say’n that, I was glad Chris lost and thought it was funny he went outside cry’n afterwards. ‘Specially after all the shit he talked.

People love Leben, go check out the forum. http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/forum/forum.php

Like I said, he takes a wizz on somebody's bed and people love him. Bobby calls him a fatherless bastard and all of the sudden he's the bad guy. What cracks me up is how pissed people get at Bobby for saying "another flawless victory" ROFL

Bobby became their lightning rod for controversy I'll say that much.

BIG_DADDY
03-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Dude, he was talking about the TV series, not the UFC (I think, at least).

That's what we are talking about too. They started the show to give somebody a 3 year contract with the UFC that's why they hired posers to establish the integrity of their sport.