PDA

View Full Version : KU's Giddens Struggling......Duh

Lzen
03-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Giddens struggling
Although KU sophomore J.R. Giddens didn't play down the stretch against Oklahoma State and continues to struggle with his shot, coach Bill Self was quick to admit Monday that the 6-foot-5 sophomore is a player the Jayhawks need to count on with the postseason approaching.

"He acts like a confident kid to me still shooting the basketball. He just hasn't played as well as he's capable of playing," Self said. "He'll be the first to tell you that, but I believe in him being able to get it going, and he needs to get it going, because teams are going to zone us."

Self went on to say the Jayhawks could get by without Giddens against Oklahoma State because backup guard Michael Lee provided strong relief. Lee played solid defensively and also contributed 7 points over 22 minutes.

Giddens went 0-for-3and went scoreless for just the second time this season. He is 10-for-38 in the last four games, including a 5-for-25 stretch from 3-point range.

http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/030105/haw_giddens.shtml

IMO, Lee should start in Giddens place in the starting lineup until Giddens pulls his head out of his ass.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Published Tuesday, March 1, 2005

KU tip-ins

KU senior forward Wayne Simien was named Big 12 player of the week after collecting 32 points and 12 rebounds Sunday against Oklahoma State. It was the fifth such honor for Simien in his career, tying him with former Jayhawk Nick Collison.

KU will wear throw-back uniforms in Wednesday's game against Kansas State, though the alteration is not expected to be radical. Don't expect short shorts or belt buckles.

Self said that Michael Lee will be inserted into the starting lineup alongside the other KU seniors for the Jayhawks' final home game on Wednesday. Junior forward Christian Moody will be the fifth starter.

There will not be a lengthy observance Wednesday of the 50th anniversary of the first game in Allen Fieldhouse. "It's important to remember it's also Senior Night," said KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony, "and the focus deserves to be on them."

KU continues to lead the nation in RPI by a substantial margin. Its mark of .6858 easily tops Illinois. The KU strength of schedule also ranks No. 1, as does the average RPI of opponents as it relates to KU. The numbers come from rpiratings.com.

After surrendering their cell phones in an effort to focus on the Oklahoma State game, the KU players have them back. "I'm sure they got a lot of voice mails after that game," Self said.

Braincase
03-01-2005, 10:18 AM
With his athleticism, he needs to be taking his cues from Keith Langford. I wish he'd learn to slash. The young man has serious ups, and could easily get into the lane and out jump most defenders for easy shots.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 10:19 AM
With his athleticism, he needs to be taking his cues from Keith Langford. I wish he'd learn to slash. The young man has serious ups, and could easily get into the lane and out jump most defenders for easy shots.

I agree. I just wish they would've had him work on this stuff in the offseason, not during the season.

Here's the latest on Langford's elbow:

Published Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Elbow issues
The intrigue behind the injury to the left elbow of Kansas guard Keith Langford continues to grow. After downplaying the injury, which Langford suffered less than three minutes into the Colorado game on Feb. 12, KU coach Bill Self said on his radio call-in show Monday that Langford must protect the elbow with a big metal brace, except in games.

"I really feel it's contributed to his shooting as much as anything else," Self said. "It's hurt him on his extension. Every time he shoots it, it hurts. When you know it's going to hurt, you might flinch a bit."

Medium to long-range shot attempts pose a problem. Langford is 3-for-16 (.187) from 3-point range and 8-for-22 (.364) from the foul line since suffering the injury, yet he's hit half his attempts (33-for-66) overall from the field.

Langford is reluctant to talk about whatever pain he's in after receiving attention at the end of last season for torn cartilage in his right knee, which required offseason surgery.

"It bothers me enough, but I can still play and be effective," Langford said of the elbow, which Self said will not require offseason surgery. "It's not an issue. If I'm playing and mess up, I can't go back and say this was hurting me. I've had a lot of things go wrong. The most notoriety is my knee situation. Either you can go or you can't.

Link (http://hawkzone.cjonline.com/stories/030105/haw_elbowissue.shtml)

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I'd like to see more Robinson/Lee at the 2 guard with Langford at the 3. Then bring Giddens off the bench to relieve Keith.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
BTW, with Oklahoma spanking Texas last night, KU either needs to win both their last 2 games or have the Sooners lose one and KU win one of theirs to win the Big 12 title. I think KU will beat KState at Allen tomorrow night. The Missouri game at Columbia will be a tough test, though. MU always gets up for that game and they will, undoubtedly, be playing their best.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
BTW, with Oklahoma spanking Texas last night, KU either needs to win both their last 2 games or have the Sooners lose one and KU win one of theirs to win the Big 12 title. I think KU will beat KState at Allen tomorrow night. The Missouri game at Columbia will be a tough test, though. MU always gets up for that game and they will, undoubtedly, be playing their best.

They (tiggers) <i>used</i> to get up for that game... when they had a coach that didn't completely suck ass. ;)

Bearcat
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
KU will wear throw-back uniforms in Wednesday's game against Kansas State, though the alteration is not expected to be radical. Don't expect short shorts or belt buckles.

As long as KSU doesn't wear their gawd-awful throwbacks :Lin:

Self said that Michael Lee will be inserted into the starting lineup alongside the other KU seniors for the Jayhawks' final home game on Wednesday. Junior forward Christian Moody will be the fifth starter.

I'm sure goin' to miss you guys :deevee:

homey
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Anyone with common sense could tell you Giddons' game is about as ugly as they come. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

HemiEd
03-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Sophomore jinx, at least now he will not be jumping to the NBA as many experts were saying prior to the season. Hopefully he will stick around for his entire four year career and not shop at Wal-Mart.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 10:58 AM

Athleticism aside, he can't handle the ball. That's why he doesn't take it to the hoop.
Plus, he was revered as the "Golden 3 point Calf" by the fans. Now that he's not living up to snuff...

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
As long as KSU doesn't wear their gawd-awful throwbacks :Lin:

I'm sure goin' to miss you guys :deevee:

Dude, those throwbacks are tremendous. But you'd have to understand who wore those uni's. The guys who plyed in those were some all time KSU greats.

If you wanna see really ugly throwbacks try the mustard yellow/gold KU pulled out on occasion.

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Dude, those throwbacks are tremendous. But you'd have to understand who wore those uni's. The guys who plyed in those were some all time KSU greats.

If you wanna see really ugly throwbacks try the mustard yellow/gold KU pulled out on occasion.

Sorry, no uni is more revolting than those lavender short-shorts getups the mildkittens sported :Lin:

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Sorry, no uni is more revolting than those lavender short-shorts getups the mildkittens sported :Lin:

Revered, HC. Revered.

I do understand why other teams don't like them.

KSU used to actually WIN when those uni's were in..

HC_Chief
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Revered, HC. Revered.

I do understand why other teams don't like them.

KSU used to actually WIN when those uni's were in..

Probably because their opponents were struggling to hold their lunch down when looking at those gawdawful things :D
Hard to make a layup when you keep puking a bit in your mouth

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Probably because their opponents were struggling to hold their lunch down when looking at those gawdawful things :D
Hard to make a layup when you keep puking a bit in your mouth

HEY!! Nobody went to the hole unabated against the men in lavender.

Sounds like a line from The Holy Grail.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Heh, I remember the Wildcats wore those ugly ass throwbacks a couple years ago. The lavender in the jerseys didnt' even match the shorts. I had a pic on my PC but I can't find it. Take my word for it, they were awful.

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Heh, I remember the Wildcats wore those ugly ass throwbacks a couple years ago. The lavender in the jerseys didnt' even match the shorts. I had a pic on my PC but I can't find it. Take my word for it, they were awful.

The uni's were two tone. Light color top, darker shorts.

They weren't supposed to match.

DJay23
03-01-2005, 12:29 PM
I agree. I just wish they would've had him work on this stuff in the offseason, not during the season.

He was recovering from injuries over the summer. If he is serious about ever playing in the NBA, I expect him to work VERY hard on a lot of things this summer.

http://www.kusports.com/news/mensbball_archive/story/110255

Lzen
03-01-2005, 12:35 PM

You know, you're really not helping your case.
:shake:

DJay23
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
http://www.kusports.com/multimedia/photogalleries/basketball/02-03/ksu2/11.html

:shake: sorry William, it wasn't pretty.

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Part of his problem with shooting is his technique.

He's using his lower body- it's like he's a kicking mule when he shoots.

You're supposed to drive the ball with your hand, wrist, arms, shoulders, and upper back when shooting. It's like he's using his lower body to try to get more distance on the ball, but the real issue is - he's kicking WHILE shooting- which is forcing the ball, rather than lifting the ball like he should.

Lzen
03-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks, DJay23.

http://www.kusports.com/multimedia/photogalleries/basketball/02-03/ksu2/11.jpg

:Lin:

Bearcat
03-01-2005, 01:51 PM
The uni's were two tone. Light color top, darker shorts.

Thinking they had grabbed the wrong colored shorts had made it slightly less awful.