PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Lamar Hunt ...

Mark M
03-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Okay ... I go away for, like, four months and some are still calling Lamar cheap, while others try to defend him. I've been thinking about this, and I have a theory:

Lamar is not necessarily cheap—he is a businessman that no longer has a passion for football.

Now, I'm willing to cut Lamar some slack for all that he's done for KC and the NFL. But I think he no longer has the intense passion for football as he once did. Thus, he views the Chiefs as nothing more than another business.

And the point of any business is to make money. Add in the fact that he's been burned by past "investments" -- Dan Williams, Andre pRison, Chester McOffsides, Holliday, Barber, et al -- and the guy is probably gun shy about giving out huge bonuses.

So ... anyone agree with this assesment, or is just as simple as "Lamar is a cheap mother******" and that's that?

MM
~~:hmmm:

Phobia
03-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I don't think he's lost his passion - else he'd be diving into piles of money in his Dallas vault on gameday. But when he's healthy, he's at the game and/or Chiefs related events. He's the polar opposite of a micro-manager.

Quite frankly, I can't explain the relationship of the Chiefs FO and Lamar though I've tried (and failed - no doubt).

Bowser
03-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Okay ... I go away for, like, four months and some are still calling Lamar cheap, while others try to defend him. I've been thinking about this, and I have a theory:

Lamar is not necessarily cheap—he is a businessman that no longer has a passion for football.

Now, I'm willing to cut Lamar some slack for all that he's done for KC and the NFL. But I think he no longer has the intense passion for football as he once did. Thus, he views the Chiefs as nothing more than another business.

And the point of any business is to make money. Add in the fact that he's been burned by past "investments" -- Dan Williams, Andre pRison, Chester McOffsides, Holliday, Barber, et al -- and the guy is probably gun shy about giving out huge bonuses.

So ... anyone agree with this assesment, or is just as simple as "Lamar is a cheap mother******" and that's that?

MM
~~:hmmm:

I can go along with this. I stated before that I think he is maybe of the mindset that players are paid too much these days, and doesn't want to be a Dan Snyder clone. And if it is about those other players that have come here before, then he is just being dumb. Look at the names. If those guys weren't from a division rival, then they were a "star" name like Rison. We signed those guys for the wrong reason, even if they did have one or two good years.

He needs to have a good scouting department, giving him a good report on what is best for his team. THEN pay whoever it is they want.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't think he's lost his passion for football.

He just separates Lamar the owner from Lamar the fan very well.

That's the one upside of having an owner like Snyder. He is, first and foremost, a FAN.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Lamar is not necessarily cheap—

he is a businessman that no longer has a passion for football

as far as Chief's fan are concerned is there really any difference

businessman/no passion = Cheap as far as it impacts the chiefs

doesn't it?? :shrug:

WilliamTheIrish
03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't think he's lost his passion - else he'd be diving into piles of money in his Dallas vault on gameday. But when he's healthy, he's at the game and/or Chiefs related events. He's the polar opposite of a micro-manager.

Quite frankly, I can't explain the relationship of the Chiefs FO and Lamar though I've tried (and failed - no doubt).

It's the only thing that I dislike about Lamar.

He's too loyal. CP IMO has turned into the incarnation of Schaaf/Steadman that let the franchise slide into nothingness in the afterglow of the SB IV.

In the glory days, the Chiefs had the best scouting department in the AFL. The Chiefs did whatever it took to sign players. Granted the age of agents had not dawned, but still out scouts KNEW good talent.

NOW, I don't know who the hell's evaluating talent.

BigRedChief
03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
This issue is also being currently discussed here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111010&page=2

Mark M
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
This issue is also being currently discussed here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=111010&page=2

Actually, that's why I started this thread.

MM
~~:D

CosmicPal
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
He's always been a business man first, and a fan second. But, now that he is older I honestly believe he is permitting Peterson and Clark to both have more control over the affairs of the team.

I honestly, honestly believe that deep down- Lamar wants another Super Bowl win before the he goes to the great Arrowhead in the skies. He was one of the creators of the league merger, he's tasted Super Bowl success before, he has a trophy named after him, he has one of the most respected stadiums in the country, and he knows he's got one of the strongest and most loyal fan bases in sports. It's been nothing but success for him.

I honestly believe he wants to go out shining and that he trusts this year will go down as one of the best seasons ever for his beloved Chiefs.

siberian khatru
03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
It's the only thing that I dislike about Lamar.

He's too loyal. CP IMO has turned into the incarnation of Schaaf/Steadman that let the franchise slide into nothingness in the afterglow of the SB IV.

In the glory days, the Chiefs had the best scouting department in the AFL. The Chiefs did whatever it took to sign players. Granted the age of agents had not dawned, but still out scouts KNEW good talent.

NOW, I don't know who the hell's evaluating talent.

This is basically where I stand. For me, it's not about the money so much as sticking with a failed execution. Our current FO just hasn't come up with enough good players in 16 years, even when they've been given the $$ to spend.

Do it this year, win a Super Bowl, and it will redeem the past. :)

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 10:59 AM
This is basically where I stand. For me, it's not about the money so much as sticking with a failed execution. Our current FO just hasn't come up with enough good players in 16 years, even when they've been given the $$ to spend.

Do it this year, win a Super Bowl, and it will redeem the past. :)

Great post.