PDA

View Full Version : Summing Up Howard Dean So Far

RINGLEADER
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Howard Dean, less than a month into his new gig as the head of the Democratic National Committee, has stated:

Dean linked a strong national defense to "protecting not only our own environment but insisting that our competitors protect their environment."

Harkening back to a familiar refrain, Dean claimed that the only reason Republicans win is because their campaigns are all build on "guns, God and gays".

Dean said "Bush's cronies" managed to pass anti-gay marriage legislation in 11 states during the last election in order to "scapegoat a minority for the purpose of getting elected and that's not courage. That's not leadership, and those people don't belong running the United States of America." (And here I thought it was the voters who passed them).

Running contrary to the congressional Dems party-line that there is no problem and only Bush's plan will result in a loss of benefits, Dean said there "are problems" with Social Security that, if left unchecked, would result in the loss of more than 20% of the system's benefits.

He said he the Dems were engaged with Republicans in "a struggle of good and evil. And we're the good."

Dean said "I hate everything Republicans stand for..."

Yep, it's been a bang-up month for Howie and the Dems...

Bearcat2005
03-01-2005, 10:49 AM
And we are the ones who are supposed to reach out! :rolleyes:

Cochise
03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
At least he isn't being an ostrich with his head in the sand like the rest of the Democratic party and saying that there is no problem with Social Security.

Brock
03-01-2005, 10:57 AM
The death-rattle.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
:shrug: I agree with the majority of what Dean is saying. If not the exact wording, then the underlying concept.

Bearcat2005
03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
:shrug: I agree with the majority of what Dean is saying. If not the exact wording, then the underlying concept.
I think you need to get a better understanding of your opposition.

SBK
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM

In all honesty, that's part of the problem for the dems. You're in the minority in this country, and he's reaching out to folks like you, not reaching out to all the people that could be drawn over.

Amnorix
03-02-2005, 06:00 AM
In all honesty, that's part of the problem for the dems. You're in the minority in this country, and he's reaching out to folks like you, not reaching out to all the people that could be drawn over.

What is with the ongoing belief of Republicans that Democrats are outnumbered like 60/40 in the US or something....?

I mean, have the last few elections made you think that Republicans really outnumber the Democrats that severely. Although Bush won legimately in 2000, he DID get fewer votes, right? And 3 million votes more for Bush in '04 out of about 100 million cast is a margin of about 3%, right?

What am I missing?

the Talking Can
03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Couldn't we just set the board up so the RNC can automatically create a thread when they fax out their talking points?

Unfortunetly, they usually get it wrong...CNN was forced to apologize yesterday for Novak making up a quote about Dean...that bogus qoute is still front page on the RNC website:

http://www.rnc.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=5215

Tuesday, March 01, 2005
In Case You Missed It: CNN's "Inside Politics," 02/28/05

CNN'S ROBERT NOVAK: "[T]hey've got to really get Howard under control. He spoke at Cornell University last week, and the only paper that covered this was "The Cornell Daily" student paper, and he said, yes, Social Security has a big problem. Over the years it's going to lose about 80 percent of the benefits. That, Judy, is not the Democratic line. The Democratic line is there is no problem."

(for the reading impaired, the above quote is a lie created by Novak and the RNC...)

Why does Nova still have a job with the "liberal media"?

Amnorix
03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Robert NoFacts strikes again...

homey
03-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Neocon's made their bed, now they have to sleep in it. Are you saying they didn't run on "guns, God and gays?"

patteeu
03-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Couldn't we just set the board up so the RNC can automatically create a thread when they fax out their talking points?

Unfortunetly, they usually get it wrong...CNN was forced to apologize yesterday for Novak making up a quote about Dean...that bogus qoute is still front page on the RNC website:

http://www.rnc.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=5215

Tuesday, March 01, 2005
In Case You Missed It: CNN's "Inside Politics," 02/28/05

CNN'S ROBERT NOVAK: "[T]hey've got to really get Howard under control. He spoke at Cornell University last week, and the only paper that covered this was "The Cornell Daily" student paper, and he said, yes, Social Security has a big problem. Over the years it's going to lose about 80 percent of the benefits. That, Judy, is not the Democratic line. The Democratic line is there is no problem."

(for the reading impaired, the above quote is a lie created by Novak and the RNC...)

Do you have a link for that or at least the accurate quote from the Cornell Daily? I would just trust you, but on subjects like these I don't.

Why does Nova still have a job with the "liberal media"?

Well the cynic might say it's because he opposed the Bush administration's Iraq policy. But I suspect it's because he's a top-notch journalist.

the Talking Can
03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Do you have a link for that or at least the accurate quote from the Cornell Daily? I would just trust you, but on subjects like these I don't.

Well the cynic might say it's because he opposed the Bush administration's Iraq policy. But I suspect it's because he's a top-notch journalist.

the accurate quote is paraphrased in ringleader's original post...mediamatters.org should also have the exact quote...or, as always, google...it gets old presenting information to people and then having them ask you to prove something like "the sun is hot"...we went through this with "Talon News"...if have any interest at all you find the answer in milliseconds on the internet

as to your comment on Novak..you have to be kidding, he's a RNC hatchett man...he leaked Plame's identity at the request of the White House and this latest fabricated quote is par for the course...he has less integrity than Whitlock, it shouldn't hurt republicans to call him what he is...a farce

and his lie is still up at the RNC website...sweet

patteeu
03-02-2005, 11:26 AM
the accurate quote is paraphrased in ringleader's original post...mediamatters.org should also have the exact quote...or, as always, google...it gets old presenting information to people and then having them ask you to prove something like "the sun is hot"...we went through this with "Talon News"...if have any interest at all you find the answer in milliseconds on the internet

as to your comment on Novak..you have to be kidding, he's a RNC hatchett man...he leaked Plame's identity at the request of the White House and this latest fabricated quote is par for the course...he has less integrity than Whitlock, it shouldn't hurt republicans to call him what he is...a farce

and his lie is still up at the RNC website...sweet

How do you know he lied? Is it enough that he got the number wrong for you to jump to the conclusion that he lied rather than made a mistake? Do you hold yourself or those who agree with you to the same standard or is that just your typical dishonest spin?

SBK
03-02-2005, 01:08 PM
What is with the ongoing belief of Republicans that Democrats are outnumbered like 60/40 in the US or something....?

I mean, have the last few elections made you think that Republicans really outnumber the Democrats that severely. Although Bush won legimately in 2000, he DID get fewer votes, right? And 3 million votes more for Bush in '04 out of about 100 million cast is a margin of about 3%, right?

What am I missing?

How bout the house and senate?

Im just pointing out that the message is the problem. Democrats have made the left fringe their mainstream message, and until they can move back toward the middle they will continue to lose power in Washington.

whoman69
03-03-2005, 09:09 AM
How bout the house and senate?

Im just pointing out that the message is the problem. Democrats have made the left fringe their mainstream message, and until they can move back toward the middle they will continue to lose power in Washington.
Certainly left wing, but not the fringe. The right has done a good job of associating those on the fringe as being the mainstream of the party, but its not the truth. Would you have Democrats compromise their core beliefs. We are not going to be Republican lite and expect to win elections. There are two types of moderates. Those who compromise toward the middle on everything, and those who are on the left of some issues and the right of some other. I would rather join the latter group and actually take a stand.

Brock
03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
We are not going to be Republican lite and expect to win elections.

It worked for Clinton.

Duck Dog
03-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Implanting Dean as the DNC Chair is one of Carl Roves greatest moves to date.

whoman69
03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Howard Dean, less than a month into his new gig as the head of the Democratic National Committee, has stated:
Dean said "Bush's cronies" managed to pass anti-gay marriage legislation in 11 states during the last election in order to "scapegoat a minority for the purpose of getting elected and that's not courage. That's not leadership, and those people don't belong running the United States of America." (And here I thought it was the voters who passed them).
Running contrary to the congressional Dems party-line that there is no problem and only Bush's plan will result in a loss of benefits, Dean said there "are problems" with Social Security that, if left unchecked, would result in the loss of more than 20% of the system's benefits.
He said he the Dems were engaged with Republicans in "a struggle of good and evil. And we're the good."
Dean said "I hate everything Republicans stand for..."
Yep, it's been a bang-up month for Howie and the Dems...
The gay marriage issue was put forth by Republicans. Its a no brainer but a chickenshit move by them. Most people are not in favor of gay marriages, but would be open to civil unions. In all but one state, Oklahoma civil unions were not even an option, but in that state the two were tied together, so of course it went down. The Republican party can then say they are against gay marriage while making absolutely no stand on civil unions. Pure chickenshit politics.
Sounds like the Dean rhetoric is very similar to the Bush rhetoric. He's keeping it simple. Reps bad, Dems good. Are you just angry because your own tactics are being used against you?

SBK
03-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Certainly left wing, but not the fringe. The right has done a good job of associating those on the fringe as being the mainstream of the party, but its not the truth. Would you have Democrats compromise their core beliefs. We are not going to be Republican lite and expect to win elections. There are two types of moderates. Those who compromise toward the middle on everything, and those who are on the left of some issues and the right of some other. I would rather join the latter group and actually take a stand.

It's not the democrats fault that one of the most liberal senators in the US was their pick for a presidential nominee. In fact this years democratic ticket was the most liberal that has ever been in a US election, which was not the democrats fault. It's not the democrats fault that their new party leader is an extremely liberal guy. It's not democrats fault that the vocal side of the party is the far left end.

All of those are some spin from the vast right wing conspiracy.