PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here sell insurance?

Hoover
03-01-2005, 10:44 AM
My brother has been offered a job selling insurance for Farm Bureau. He would pretty much run his own office, they say first year people bring in about 72K.

Anyone in the business? He is looking for some solid advise.

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
That is probably absolute best case scenario, and he shouldn't count on that. He will have to get a lot of clients, which is not an easy feat with so many people selling insurance and having only 1 year's experience. I am currently trying to get registered for my securities and insurance license for a job with a financial advising company, and I am planning on $25,000-$35,000 this year to be on the safe side.

Hoover
03-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I thought 72 to start sounded too good to be true. Plus I would worry about Internet Competition, its not like you have to go to the local guy for everything anymore.

seclark
03-01-2005, 10:52 AM
i have a friend who sells ins for farm bureau. we have all our homes/auto through him.

he used to be a good friend now that i think of it. before we took out the policies w/him.

i think he does all right.
sec

eazyb81
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I thought 72 to start sounded too good to be true. Plus I would worry about Internet Competition, its not like you have to go to the local guy for everything anymore.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I think it is realistic to make that kind of money in a couple years, but not in your first year. You have to go out and prospect for clients, they aren't going to just come into your office without knowing you and want to buy insurance from you.

morphius
03-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Unless he is taking over someone else's office, then he would be pretty damn lucky to make that. You normally have to build up your own clients, and that can take a whole lot of salesmanship.

Taco John
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
If everybody could make $72k in their first year, we'd all be insurance salesmen...

Hoover
03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
If everybody could make $72k in their first year, we'd all be insurance salesmen...
Thats what I said

morphius
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh, and until the clientell is pretty built up, expect to work some rather long hours. Plus most the people that are successful at it already have a lot of contacts before starting.