PDA

View Full Version : annualcreditreport.com...now available to Midwest

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 12:41 PM
If you want to get your annual copy of your FREE credit report (thank you President Bush for signing this part of the law) and you live in the Midwest your time has come.

www.annualcreditreport.com

Check it out. You get one report from each of the three major agencies. My friend and I both have downloaded them and each of us had errors in our reports including names we have not used or addresses where we never lived.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
You can also get it at www.annualcreditreport.com I believe.

bkkcoh
03-01-2005, 12:42 PM
If you want to get your annual copy of your FREE credit report (thank you President Bush for signing this part of the law) and you live in the Midwest your time has come.

I had to pick myself up off of the floor on that statement

There might be hope for her afterall.... :p

petegz28
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
This is just a scam. They want to sucker you into some deal. Otherwise they wouldn't need my credit card info.

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I had to pick myself up off of the floor on that statement

There might be hope for her afterall.... :p

Hey, even a dead clock is right twice a day...

if only DUHbya were. :hmmm: :p ;)

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
This is just a scam. They want to sucker you into some deal. Otherwise they wouldn't need my credit card info.

They do not ask you for your credit card info. Ah, I changed the link to the one I used that Hhoweveritisspelled posted. His is the correct one. Thank you for catching.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Maybe i'm doing it wrong then.

Credit Card Information
You will not be charged for your free credit report and free trial membership. However, valid credit card information is required to start your free 30-day trial membership. You may cancel your free trial membership at any time. However, you must tell us during your free 30-day trial that you do not want to continue your membership past the trial period, otherwise, you are hereby authorizing the $12 monthly fee to automatically be charged to the credit card account below.

Bootlegged
03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Names you haven't used, huh?

Akhbar Al Sheik Alasshair. I think you've used that a few times..

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Maybe i'm doing it wrong then.

Credit Card Information
You will not be charged for your free credit report and free trial membership. However, valid credit card information is required to start your free 30-day trial membership. You may cancel your free trial membership at any time. However, you must tell us during your free 30-day trial that you do not want to continue your membership past the trial period, otherwise, you are hereby authorizing the $12 monthly fee to automatically be charged to the credit card account below.

No, sorry, I had the link wrong. (copied from wrong browser) Use the revised one.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
No, sorry,I had the link wrong. (copied from wrong browser) Use the revised one.
Whoops. Thanks.

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Whoops. Thanks.

They will offer you ways to enter your credit card to see 'other useful information' to which you can just say 'fugg no.'

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
You can also get it at www.annualcreditreport.com I believe.
this one works, free and clear ... no funny business

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Anyone else having trouble with transunion?

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Anyone else having trouble with transunion?
The site was being a dog for a minute, but it seems to be responding well now.

Course, I do find it curious that it's $5.95 extra to get your credit score. I would've figured that was part of the report. Doesn't make the free report as much of a good deal, then, does it?

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 01:21 PM

Course, I do find it curious that it's $5.95 extra to get your credit score. I would've figured that was part of the report. Doesn't make the free report as much of a good deal, then, does it?

Actually your FICO score is based on what is in the report thus if you have a decent report your FICO score should be good as well. But, I agree with you that the report does little if you are not sure how you are being scored based on the report.

htismaqe
03-01-2005, 01:31 PM

From what I can tell, the purpose of Bush's deal was to provide us with a means to verify accuracy of our credit reports and curtail identity theft/fraud. It wasn't designed to help us secure more credit...

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
From what I can tell, the purpose of Bush's deal was to provide us with a means to verify accuracy of our credit reports and curtail identity theft/fraud. It wasn't designed to help us secure more credit...
yea ... good enough

checked mine just to make sure nothing bogus is on there

tis clean :thumb:

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Hm, guess I screwed up. I went to annualcreditreport.com... checked all three sources. It took me to transunion first... after many timeouts, I manged to submit all my information. Finally ended up at a page where they wanna charge me $10 for the basic report (not the extra stuff I mentioned earlier, that I declined to check).

Wonder where I made a wrong turn...

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Albuquerque

memyselfI
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Hm, guess I screwed up. I went to annualcreditreport.com... checked all three sources. It took me to transunion first... after many timeouts, I manged to submit all my information. Finally ended up at a page where they wanna charge me $10 for the basic report (not the extra stuff I mentioned earlier, that I declined to check).

Try one of the other sources. They are required by law to give you one copy for free. So if you cannot get one to work try using snail mail to send your request.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM

i just checked "equifax"

they gave me the option of paying for extras but i just left it at the default checked "no" and it gave me free report.

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Eh, I eventually got experian to work. I wasn't really all that concerned about it... just since it was free, figured I'd give it whirl.

The most interesting thing for me was seeing all the requests to view my info. My goodness there's a lot of people interested in me.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Eh, I eventually got experian to work. I wasn't really all that concerned about it... just since it was free, figured I'd give it whirl.

The most interesting thing for me was seeing all the requests to view my info. My goodness there's a lot of people interested in me.

http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/art/bb-poster-preview.jpg

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
http://www.the-fifth-hope.org/art/bb-poster-preview.jpg
Heh... I wasn't aware that Chase Bank was big brother.

KC Kings
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
i just checked "equifax"

they gave me the option of paying for extras but i just left it at the default checked "no" and it gave me free report.
Equifax sucked. It gave me my address history and work history, (current as of Jan 2001), and said there were no problems.

TransUnion gave me a ton of info, but I have a question.
I have a bunch of credit cards such as Mens Warehouse, AMEX, Penny's, etc.... that have $0 ballance. Does it look good to have a bunch of credit cards completely paid off with no late payments, or would it look better to cancel them all and just the 2 I actively use?

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 03:27 PM
That was actually a pretty usefull Link.

My credit is great, but I see a couple of stupid things I can eliminate to improve it.(stupid promotional Store Credit things I signed up for discounts).

King........I'm not an expert, but I know that your credit rating is affected by the "total possible debt".......so those credit cards for stores(like mine that are going to be canceled in an hour) or the High balances you don't need will hurt you.

My CCs always are raising my limits, and about once a year, I call them and have them reduced. The More debt you COULD go into, the More it affects your score. Eliminate those extra CCs, and don't buy their BS about "long term customer helps your rating" crap they'll try to sell so you'll stay.

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Why did this credit file receive the score that it did?
To understand why a credit report scored the way it did, look at the four reason codes returned with each score. These are the top reasons, in order of severity, why it did not score higher, although other factors probably contributed. Mortgage brokers and lenders should receive these reasons along with the score when the score is obtained through a mortgage credit reporting company. A complete list of these score factor reasons accompanies this document.

The reason codes are either a number or a letter followed by a brief description. For example a credit report with a score of 563 may have the following factors:

02 - Delinquency on accounts
01 - Amount owed on accounts is too high
09 - Too many accounts opened in last 12 months
19 - Too few accounts currently paid as agreed

These score factor explanations can be relayed back to the borrower to explain how they can increase their score over time. Score factors are less meaningful for higher-scoring credit records as they merely point to the reasons why the file did not score even higher.

RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

How can a borrower increase his or her Fair Isaac Credit Bureau Score?
Over time a borrower can improve the information in his or her credit report by paying credit obligations on time and using credit wisely. As derogatory data in the credit report gets older, it has less influence on the score. A missed payment from four years ago will not count as much as a missed payment that is six months old.

A credit score, like a credit report can be thought of as a snapshot of an individual's changing credit record. Scores from different repositories will be different because of the different data available in the consumers file at each repository. If a request is made to obtain another report in order to get an updated score, then the score is likely to change for many reasons; however, it is not possible to limit how that score will change. The credit items on the report are updated often, so new items are likely to have been added since the previous report was generated. In addition, existing items will have aged. Repeatedly requesting a borrower's credit report may substantially increase the number of inquiries on the repository report, which may affect the score adversely.

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Equifax sucked. It gave me my address history and work history, (current as of Jan 2001), and said there were no problems.

TransUnion gave me a ton of info, but I have a question.
I have a bunch of credit cards such as Mens Warehouse, AMEX, Penny's, etc.... that have $0 ballance. Does it look good to have a bunch of credit cards completely paid off with no late payments, or would it look better to cancel them all and just the 2 I actively use?

What would happen to the score if an applicant were to pay off his or her balances and/or close some accounts?
It is not possible to ensure that scores would increase in this case. Such actions may upset the mix of available credit, and actually decrease the score. It is important to remember that the point of the scoring is not to calculate an up-to-date debt ratio - the debt ratio is still considered by the lender independent of the score. Therefore it is not critical that balances be completely up to date for the purposes of scoring. The score reflects data available on the credit report to assess the consumer's current payment patterns as well as payment history.

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Should the credit score be passed on to the borrower?
Because there are different types of scoring models on the market that have different scales, a score by itself has little meaning to the borrower. In addition, a lender can establish score cut-offs at any point along the score range; therefore, the interpretation of the core in terms of loan approval is relative to each lender's individual business strategy. Because there is no point of reference for a borrower to understand his or her individual score, it should not be passed on.

When a consumer is declined credit due to a low score, the score factor codes should be communicated to the consumer. Providing the score alone as the reason for declination does not provide the consumer with actionable information that can e used to increase their score over time, and is not in compliance with Regulation B of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.

Fairplay
03-01-2005, 04:08 PM
This is just another trick for the IRS to try to hunt me down, im not biteing.

elvomito
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
i've opted out from all of the preapproval letters and related junk mail:
http://www.ftc.gov/privacy/protect.htm

1-888-5-OPTOUT lets you remove yourself from all 3 bureaus at once.

bastards give my info away for free... not anymore!

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I just spent the last 45 minutes on the phone.....cancelling 4 accounts that I wasn't aware were open..........Discover had one, with the wrong Birthdate, a Lowes, JCPenny, and American Eagle Card that I don't use.

elvomito
03-01-2005, 08:10 PM
^^that will actually lower your credit score

Iowanian
03-01-2005, 08:53 PM
How?

I had 4 accounts open, that I didn't have the card, with 0 balance, but had the ability to charge $5k.

My bank folks told me that the more credit you had the Ability to charge out, that it lowered your rating.

My credit is very, very good.........

Why would this lower it?

elvomito
03-01-2005, 09:52 PM
this graph shows what your score is based on. closing those accounts hurt your length of credit history, and ratio of amounts owed to available credit.
Now, having very good credit, it won't make a difference for you. but it did lower the score.
http://www.myfico.com/Images/breakdown.gif
taken from: http://www.myfico.com

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 10:04 PM
this graph shows what your score is based on. closing those accounts hurt your length of credit history, and ratio of amounts owed to available credit.
Now, having very good credit, it won't make a difference for you. but it did lower the score.
http://www.myfico.com/Images/breakdown.gif
taken from: http://www.myfico.com

What kind of job do you have?

elvomito
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
i'm in realestate/financing.... and i like to learn about stuff

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 10:09 PM
How?

I had 4 accounts open, that I didn't have the card, with 0 balance, but had the ability to charge $5k.

My bank folks told me that the more credit you had the Ability to charge out, that it lowered your rating.

My credit is very, very good.........

Why would this lower it?

don't worry about it

first of all it will actually help your score.

also they rec. that you have 3 to 4 accounts open.

The longer you have the accounts open the better

YOu do not want to have over 60 percent charged to your limit

Don't open up store credit cards or gas cards they do hurt your scoreD
don't pay old collections older then 2 years. pay the newer collections first

If you have to pay the collections off oay at the last minute for example if buying a home pay at close.

If you have a collection from 11/00 and pay it that will hurt you becasue it will bring it to current time. The further back the derogatory gets the better your score gets.

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 10:10 PM
i'm in realestate/financing.... and i like to learn about stuff

What kind of job and how long have you been doing it?

elvomito
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
loan officer, RealEstate broker, Gettin into rehabs, investments. been doing them all about 1 year now.

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
loan officer, RealEstate broker, Gettin into rehabs, investments. been doing them all about 1 year now.

Loan Officer for over 4 years. Mother was a Realtor for awhile.

elvomito
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
you do rehab loans for investors?

KingPriest2
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
you do rehab loans for investors?

Yes and no. I do have lenders for them but I don't do the loans.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 11:45 PM
god damn, I've got a $1000 charge from a health club in Vegas.....I've never been in a health club in my entire ****ing life!

Bob Dole
03-02-2005, 06:23 AM
god damn, I've got a $1000 charge from a health club in Vegas.....I've never been in a health club in my entire ****ing life!

You shouldn't have any problem convincing them of that when you point our that you're nothing more than a metal cylinder.

the Talking Can
03-02-2005, 07:39 AM
You shouldn't have any problem convincing them of that when you point our that you're nothing more than a metal cylinder.

true, I feel better now....

Mark M
03-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Holy crap ... my credit score averages out to about 780.

:eek:

I rule ...

MM
~~WooWoo

chief52
03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Capital One has checked me out 28 times since May of '03. WTF is up with that? I have never done business with them. Anyone have a clue?

KC Kings
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM

So you got $1000 dollars worth of services from a "health club" in Vegas that you don't remember? Must of been one of those health clubs with a spa that gives the special massages.

Manila-Chief
03-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I just spent the last 45 minutes on the phone.....cancelling 4 accounts that I wasn't aware were open..........Discover had one, with the wrong Birthdate, a Lowes, JCPenny, and American Eagle Card that I don't use.

I would be interested to know what this will do to your score. Suze Orman (sp?) says to not cancel cards .... because it hurts your score????

Manila-Chief
03-02-2005, 10:57 AM

I rule ...

MM
~~WooWoo

Mark,

Good for you! You are doing a lot of things correct!!!

KingPriest2
03-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I would be interested to know what this will do to your score. Suze Orman (sp?) says to not cancel cards .... because it hurts your score????

I can't remember what exactly she was talking about one night but she was wrong on it in regards to mortgages and credit scores.

She is a sellout. In her books she says don't buy new cars and now she is plugging new cars.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM

Did they neglect to put "health club" in quotes?

Ari Chi3fs
03-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Transunion was fugged for me as well.

Experion has their shit together... man. Even a couple addresses that I lived at for a couple months are on there. Unreal.

Equifax had like two addresses for me, whereas Experion had everyone, including where my mom lived while I was chilling in the womb.

Ari Chi3fs
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM

I rule ...

MM
~~WooWoo

Watchout, you are gonna get PM's from JOhn.