PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon: Why is it NOT on the front page?

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Is this an OLD story, I somehow missed?

It's NOT on CNN's front page, not on CBS's frontpage, not on the WashingtonPost's frontpage, not on NYTimes frontpage....to find it at CNN, you have to click "World News" first....and it's not listed as one of the "headline" teaser to get you there.... :hmmm:

25,000+ surround the parliamentary building in Beirut, to oust the 14,000 Syrian soldiers in a move reminiscent of the fall of communisim in the former Soviet block....and some of them were much less of "an event" that this seems to be?

WHY the double-standard? Enquiring minds want to know.... :)

(Though I have my own distinct suspicions that I will share, later...)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/03/01/lebanon.protests/index.html

U.S. hails Lebanese democracy move
Government resigns amid anti-Syria protests

BEIRUT, Lebanon -- The United States supports the Lebanese people's expression of democratic aspirations, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has said.

Meanwhile Tuesday, Lebanon's pro-Syrian president was searching for a new prime minister to replace Omar Karami, who resigned following two weeks of protests over the killing of former prime minister Rafik Hariri.

Thousands of demonstrators, awash in a sea of red, white and green Lebanese flags, have been demanding the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon since last month's assassination of Hariri, who opposed Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

Speaking in London Tuesday, the day after the toppling of the Syrian-backed government by what the media called "people power," Rice offered support to Lebanon for free and fair elections.

"Events in Lebanon are moving in a very important direction. The Lebanese people are starting to express their aspirations for democracy ... This is something that we support very much."

Demonstrators in Beirut's Martyrs Square chanted, "Syria out! Syria out!" after Karami announced his resignation in a speech aired by the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation.

Click on the link for the rest of the story...

bkkcoh
03-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Mr Kotter,

The logical explanation is because it is anti to what is good for the democrats and the MSM. It is a good thing for the republicans, therefore, it is bad for them.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Mr Kotter,

The logical explanation is because it is anti to what is good for the democrats and the MSM. It is a good thing for the republicans, therefore, it is bad for them.

I just don't get it...how can this NOT be "major" news??? :shrug:

Soupnazi
03-01-2005, 01:21 PM
It doesn't further their agenda. Any item showing progress in the region which might be construed as evidence that Bush's initiatives are working would be a death blow.

Libya handing over it's nukes passed quietly in the night as well. Barely made a peep.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
It doesn't further their agenda. Any item showing progress in the region which might be construed as evidence that Bush's initiatives are working would be a death blow.

Libya handing over it's nukes passed quietly in the night as well. Barely made a peep.

That damn Bush-backing CONSERVATIVE-FOX driven media....it's a conspiracy, ain't it!!! :cuss:

Oh, wait a minute.... :hmmm:

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry, where is this story on Foxnews.com?

edit: Oh, right, the 10th bullet down on "Latest Headlines" where it says: "Lebanese President Next Target of Protesters (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149048,00.html)"

This on a website with 3 BIG attention grabbing sections for current hot stories...

http://www.foxnews.com/

Please put on your tinfoil hat and take your conspiracy theory elsewhere.

bkkcoh
03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I just don't get it...how can this NOT be "major" news??? :shrug:

Becuase it follows the Bush Doctrine, that wants the spread of democracy in the middle east. The opposition has declared that there is no way that democracy can exist in the region.

It is a major story, but not in if it furthers the Bush Doctrine.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm sorry, where is this story on Foxnews.com?

The link is CNN....the point is you'd NEVER know it, unless you dig, dig, dig....

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:28 PM
The link is CNN....the point is you'd NEVER know it, unless you dig, dig, dig....

I gave you the Foxnews link, which you'd NEVER know, unless you thought soemthing about Lebanese protestors was HUGE news...

Give me a break.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
I gave you the Foxnews link, which you'd NEVER know, unless you thought soemthing about Lebanese protestors was HUGE news...

Give me a break.

I saw your post before your edit....

My point is, this COULD be.....huge news. You watch....if this thing comes down, one of the first questions should be where was the MAINSTREAM media....? I honestly hadn't checked FOX, because I usually don't until a major story "breaks"....

No wonder some folks rely on Fox, eh. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:32 PM

Give me a break.

I wonder if Syria and it's "troops" think of it so benignly? :hmmm:

You don't think it the least bit odd it's "burried" elsewhere?

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I saw your post before your edit....

My point is, this COULD be.....huge news. You watch....if this thing comes down, one of the first questions should be where was the MAINSTREAM media....? I honestly hadn't checked FOX, because I usually don't until a major story "breaks"....

No wonder some folks rely on Fox, eh. :hmmm:

This could be huge news. But the reality is that this is America, where most people can barely find the Middle East on a map. We are the most self-centered society among the 1st world nations. We just care less about what happens in the rest of the world, in general. I'm not saying that's good or bad, it just is.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
I wonder if Syria and it's "troops" think of it so benignly? :hmmm:

The "give me a break" is in response to your conspiracy theories, not with regard to the improtance of this event.

Tell me -- what percentage of Americans do you think could even find Syria or Lebanon on an unlabeled world map?

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
This could be huge news. But the reality is that this is America, where most people can barely find the Middle East on a map. We are the most self-centered society among the 1st world nations. We just care less about what happens in the rest of the world, in general. I'm not saying that's good or bad, it just is.

I agree. But I gotta wonder how much coverage it would have gotten if, say, Kerry were President....

ala, Clinton: coverage of Bosnia, Kosova, and Haiti ad naseum....

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:39 PM
The "give me a break" is in response to your conspiracy theories, not with regard to the improtance of this event.

Tell me -- what percentage of Americans do you think could even find Syria or Lebanon on an unlabeled world map?

One in three on a good day, true. However, possible democratization of the ME....somewhere other than Israel or Iraq....seems to be, potentially a big story to me. That's all.

For some, I suppose day 3 of "Oscar" coverage is more important though.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree. But I gotta wonder how much coverage it would have gotten if, say, Kerry were President....

ala, Clinton: coverage of Bosnia, Kosova, and Haiti ad naseum....

Coverage of Monica Lewinsky, Whitewater, Gay no ask/no tell policy issue, Paula Jones, etc.

Give me a break that the media is THAT one sided. The media took PLENTY of shots at Clinton. PLENTY.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Coverage of Monica Lewinsky, Whitewater, Gay no ask/no tell policy issue, Paula Jones, etc.

Give me a break that the media is THAT one sided. The media took PLENTY of shots at Clinton. PLENTY.

Understand. However, many argue they were quite SLOW to come around...of course once the sensationalist aspects and sex of the case overtook everything else, it did take on a life of it's own.

I simply don't buy that it's merely a coincident this isn't being covered.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Understand. However, many argue they were quite SLOW to come around...of course once the sensationalist aspects and sex of the case overtook everything else, it did take on a life of it's own.

I simply don't buy that it's merely a coincident this isn't being covered.

:shrug: Then Fox is in on it... I find that more than hard to believe.

Whitewater got TONS of coverage, and was completely unsexy. It was also a nothing case that went nowhere, at a cost to taxpayers of untold millions...

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Heh....UPDATING....

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20050301-121948-8862r.htm

Lebanon government quits
By Mitchell Prothero
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published March 1, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BEIRUT -- Lebanon's prime minister and his entire Cabinet resigned yesterday, satisfying a demand by tens of thousands of protesters, whose ranks swelled in a public push for democracy that is unprecedented in the Arab world.
Waving flags and cheering as the resignation was announced, the demonstrators also demanded that Syria end its occupation by withdrawing its troops and agents, who oversee decisions by Lebanese government officials.
A tent city near the tomb of assassinated former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri continued to expand yesterday, mirroring recent protests that ushered in a democratically elected, pro-Western government in Ukraine.
"I love America. Tell Bush to come here. Thank him, thank [French President Jacques] Chirac. This is a great day for all Arab people," said an Arab Christian named Sady.
"Americans are welcome. We need them," said a demonstrator named Paul, a member of the Lebanese Forces, a Christian militia.
When told that U.S. troops were not likely to come, Paul said: "Well, then we need the French. We need NATO. We need help to clear our country of these dogs."
Prime Minister Omar Karami announced his government's resignation in a message relayed by loudspeakers to a crowd of about 25,000 at Beirut's Martyrs Square.
Cheers erupted and protesters began handing out red roses to soldiers and police.
When Lebanese soldiers came near, the crowd chanted to them in Arabic: "We need only one army, and it's you," a reference protesting the 15,000 Syrian troops stationed in Lebanon.
In Washington, the White House praised the resignation of Mr. Karami's government, saying it opens the door for new elections "free of all foreign interference," referring to neighboring Syria.
"We are closely watching developments with great interest," said White House spokesman Scott McClellan. "The resignation of the Karami government represents an opportunity for the Lebanese people to have a new government that is truly representative of their country's diversity."
When pro-Syrian President Emile Lahoud appeared on two giant TV screens set up in Martyrs Square, the crowd chanted, "Your turn is next, your turn is next."
Mr. Lahoud is especially unpopular because Syria forced through a constitutional change last year that added three years to his term in office.
"Today, the government fell. Tomorrow, it's the one huddled in Anjar," opposition leader Elias Atallah told the crowd to cheers, referring to the Syrian intelligence chief based in the eastern Lebanese town of Anjar. Mr. Atallah said the opposition will continue its actions until all demands are met.
Demonstrators came from across Lebanon's sectarian divide.
They included the Free Patriotic Movement, consisting mainly of Christian university students; the Lebanese Forces; Druze in traditional costume; Sunni Muslim supporters of Mr. Hariri and Shi'ite Muslims, including women with head scarves.
Many wore the red bandanas adopted by the opposition in what has been termed a peaceful "independence uprising."
All said they plan to continue demonstrating until the Syrians leave.
"It is the first victory, but it will not be the last," opposition leader and former Information Minister Ghazi Aridi told the crowd in a scene broadcast live around the Arab world.
The crowd seemed uncertain of the future course, but most expect a caretaker government of technocrats to take over until scheduled elections in late April or early May.
"I really never thought this could happen. I thought there would be some kind of deal. I thought we would be betrayed. I still can't believe it," said a Shi'ite Muslim from southern Lebanon who gave his name as Hussein.
Anthony Laytif, a student at the American University of Beirut and member of the Free Patriotic Movement, said: "We recognize that we are cousins to Syria and that we need a relationship with them, but it needs to be a relationship of equals and not domination."
Syria is widely accused of a role in the assassination of Mr. Hariri in a massive bombing on Feb. 14. The explosion killed 16 others and shattered Beirut's revival after years of civil war.
Soldiers initially blocked some demonstrators attempting to reach Martyrs Square, renamed "Freedom Square" by demonstrators after Mr. Hariri's death.
But once the prime minister announced his resignation, soldiers dropped their guard and stood by as demonstrators moved freely. The soldiers continued to seal off access to the parliament.
Demonstrators began arriving Sunday night and early yesterday to be in place for a scheduled vote of confidence in the parliament.
By last night, the demonstration had turned into a celebration, with revelers jumping and waving flags.
Druze opposition leader Walid Jumblatt, holed up in the mountains out of fear that he will be the next assassination target, spoke to the crowd by video link.
He said the "people have won" and called for calm. "Today, we are at a new turning point in the history of the country."
•This article is based in part on wire service reports.

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Hell, even NewsMax doesn't have it prominently discussed in any way.

www.newsmax.com (http://www.newsmax.com)

Nor drudge

www.drudgereport.com (http://www.drudgereport.com)

Face it -- your conspriacy theory is off-base, unless you think CONSERVATIVE news sources are also trying to downplay this HUGE story.... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
:shrug: Then Fox is in on it... I find that more than hard to believe.

Whitewater got TONS of coverage, and was completely unsexy. It was also a nothing case that went nowhere, at a cost to taxpayers of untold millions...

Fair enough; but it looks like this story is ALREADY taking on a life of it's own...with or without the mainstream press. :hmmm:

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Fair enough; but it looks like this story is ALREADY taking on a life of it's own...with or without the mainstream press. :hmmm:

Washington Times isn't mainstream?

Anyway, it's an important story, and I'm sure it will get some play on the national networks tonight. At least, I would hope so.

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Washington Times isn't mainstream?

Anyway, it's an important story, and I'm sure it will get some play on the national networks tonight. At least, I would hope so.

Some of my more liberal friends and colleagues call in the "Moonie" paper...and some seem to cast it with FOX and such.

Anyway, I hope you are right.... :hmmm:

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Some of my more liberal friends and colleagues call in the "Moonie" paper...and some seem to cast it with FOX and such.

Anyway, I hope you are right.... :hmmm:

:shrug: The Times offsets the Post. No biggie. Both have large enough circulations that they're fairly "mainstream", I would think, even though both have their slants.

Taco John
03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
What does any of this have to do with gay sex?

Mr. Kotter
03-01-2005, 02:06 PM

That's in the body of the story....Gay Marriages to be sanctioned by the new Lebanese governement. :hmmm:

Seriously though, not a dang thing. :p

Amnorix
03-01-2005, 02:08 PM

Lebanon sounds alot like Lesbian, and the two words have 5 out of 7 letters in common...

patteeu
03-01-2005, 07:42 PM
I bet Jeff Gannon would have broken the embargo on this story. Where have all the good reporters gone? ;)