PDA

View Full Version : Rhonde Barber may be cut today

Wile_E_Coyote
03-01-2005, 01:45 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PF...spins030105.htm (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2005/spins030105.htm)

"But, according to one Buccaneers official, you can expect a great deal of backlash to come this week with the release of Pro Bowl CB Ronde Barber. Barber twice refused cuts, the Bucs say, and he will pay with his job.

There is a standing history in Tampa Bay of even the most respected veterans making salary concessions. Barber, perhaps seeing this as his last best chance to sign a big contract, wanted no part of a pay reduction. The Buccaneers are hoping to make one last-ditch effort to Barber before tonight's midnight deadline."

Saulbadguy
03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
That'd be nice.

Braincase
03-01-2005, 01:47 PM
That'd be nice.

You sound as if you think he'd be an improvement over Julian Battle.

HolmeZz
03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Ronde's a very good corner. I'd take him.

petegz28
I don't wan Barber. We need a Man-Man corner. Otherwise we have Battle, Sapp or McCleon.

Saulbadguy
You sound as if you think he'd be an improvement over Julian Battle.
Well, he'd have to compete for that 4th slot. We already have Eric Warfield and William Bartee starting, and Dexter at the 3rd. We like our guys, they won't lose their jobs due to us signing a FA.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
we don't want him...he's only interested in money

Sure-Oz
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
he could be a backup rb as well!!!!

beer bacon
03-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Even if we don't want him, logically the further saturation of the CB market should lower prices for the CBs we do want. Although I don't know if the Poston's or other agents will see things logically :shake:

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 02:15 PM
He's not a good fit. Zone corner.

go bowe
03-01-2005, 02:17 PM
he could be a backup rb as well!!!!but can he play safety?

Miles
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
He is a cover 2 CB so would not be worth it for us. However, I could really see him going back to Dungy in Indy, which would satisfy one of our primary competators in the CB market.

The Bad Guy
03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
That is an interesting point Miles. He would be perfect for the Colts.

Personally, I think he's going to play with Tiki in NY.

MGRS13
03-01-2005, 03:32 PM
we don't want him...he's only interested in money
Yea! what is he a football player?

Every free agent is only intrested in money, period! Any that say other wise are liars! You think Ty law wouldn't sign with the worst team in the NFL for a 20 mil. signing bonus? It's a buisness, get used to it.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Maybe Lynch can lure him to Denver...

Dartgod
03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
If Carl hasn't already contacted him and offered a 25 Bajillion dollar contract, I'm going to throw a hissy fit.

Kclee
03-01-2005, 03:36 PM
If Carl hasn't already contacted him and offered a 25 Bajillion dollar contract, I'm going to throw a hissy fit.

Get in line. No cuts.

the Talking Can
03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea! what is he a football player?

Every free agent is only intrested in money, period! Any that say other wise are liars! You think Ty law wouldn't sign with the worst team in the NFL for a 20 mil. signing bonus? It's a buisness, get used to it.

hook, line, and sinker...I'm just trying out one of the dumb reasons Amnorix and others gave me for not wanting to sign Law...

Chiefnj
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
He's not a good fit for Gunther. He's a cover 2 guy.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Barber may survive the cuts...they cut Gold & Jurevisus(sp?)

looks like they will have a news conference 7pm their time

edit:

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGB5BSXBS5E.html

TAMPA - Receiver Joe Jurevicius, cornerback Mario Edwards and linebacker Ian Gold were among the players released Tuesday as the Bucs reduced their payroll to gain compliance with the league's salary cap guidelines.
Former starting quarterback Brad Johnson was also among the players cut by the Bucs, whose payroll was more than $18 million over the league's projected cap figure of $85.5 million.

While the Bucs officially cut ties with Jurevicius, his agent, Neil Cornrich, said he expects the Bucs to attempt to resign the seven-year veteran.

In addition to cutting players, the Bucs reworked the contracts of several players, including quarterback Brian Griese, fullback Mike Alstott and center John Wade.

The variety of moves reduced the Bucs payroll by approximately $22 million and left them with about $4 million worth of cap space as the beginning of the free agency signing period neared at midnight.

The Bucs are expected to target a running back, a place kicker and maybe a receiver in free agency. However, they will probably have to continue restructuring existing contracts or release more players to create the cap space necessary to sign those players.

Players who could still be targeted for restructures or be released include tackle Todd Steussie, cornerback Ronde Barber and defensive tackle Anthony McFarland.

MGRS13
03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Anthony McFarland would be huge. Imagine a DT that new how to play.

Bowser
03-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Anthony McFarland would be huge. Imagine a DT that new how to play.

Yeah, I was kind of suprised to see that......