Ultra Peanut
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Neato burrito.

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
When does the new name go into effect?

Ultra Peanut
03-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Okay, everyone. Synchronize your watches.

Five, four, three, two...

NOW!

GOGOGO!

Mark M
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Kick ass!!!

Of course, I've had a "Missouri State University" baseball cap for about 10 years now. Some friends made them up back when I was still there.

MM
~~:D

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Kick ass!!!

Of course, I've had a "Missouri State University" baseball cap for about 10 years now. Some friends made them up back when I was still there.
I think you misspelled "Missouri State Penitentiary".

Mark M
03-01-2005, 02:11 PM

To-may-toe, to-mah-toe ...

MM
~~:D

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
When does the new name go into effect?
The name change wouldn't take effect until Aug. 28.

http://www.news-leader.com/today/20050228-SMSprepsforname.html

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
To-may-toe, to-mah-toe ...Cellmate, prison bitch ...

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
SMSU name change wins House approval

3/1/05

Supporters fought off attempts to amend the bill and send it back to the Senate.

By: KY3 News

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- The Missouri House gave first-round approval to a name change for Southwest Missouri State University. By a vote of 120-35 at 2:55 p.m. on Tuesday, the change to Missouri State University cleared its last major hurdle after nearly 20 years of failed attempts by supporters of the school in Springfield.

After another vote, probably later on Tuesday, that is usually only a formality, the bill will head to the desk of Gov. Matt Blunt, who lives just outside Springfield and supports the name change. Once Blunt signs it, the name change will be official on Aug. 28. SMSU officials hope the governor will sign the bill in Springfield later this month when the university celebrates its centennial.

http://www.ky3.com/newsdetailed.asp?id=7659

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Hahahaha... KY3 has some TOP-NOTCH graphic artists on the payroll...

http://www.ky3.com/newsimages/sms-mslogo.jpg

ChiefsOne
03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Maybe they will get a football program now!

I always refer to them as SMS and it will be hard to change to MSU.

redbrian
03-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Hahahaha... KY3 has some TOP-NOTCH graphic artists on the payroll...

http://www.ky3.com/newsimages/sms-mslogo.jpg

But do they still have good ole Ned Reynolds?

Stinger
03-01-2005, 02:23 PM
But do they still have good ole Ned Reynolds?

Yes he is still here unfortunaly still on the air

Mark M
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Cellmate, prison bitch ...

Fatass/lardbutt ... unemployed/loser ...

MM
~~:p

ChiefsCountry
03-01-2005, 02:28 PM

No that is Quin's BB team. ROFL

keg in kc
03-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Fatass/lardbutt ... unemployed/loser ...

MMHey now, I'm not unemployed.

Spott
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Maybe they will get a football program now!

I always refer to them as SMS and it will be hard to change to MSU.

Heck, I still refer to them as SMSU. :)

JimNasium
03-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Heck, I still refer to them as SMSU. :)
Get it right. Every time we make the NCAA tourney they will put up SWMSU or some variant.

Pitt Gorilla
03-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Thank goodness we got that critically important issue out of the way; now, we can move on to matters of less importance, such as our state not having any money for education, roads, health care, etc...

David.
03-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Sucks that mizzou might lose funding, but I'm happy for sms(err, msu) I guess.

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Posted on Tue, Mar. 01, 2005

Legislature OKs new name for Southwest Missouri State

HEATHER J. CARLSON

Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - After nearly two decades of struggle, Southwest Missouri State University will get its new name.

The House voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to drop "Southwest" from the school's name, allowing it to become Missouri State University. The 120-35 vote sends the bill to Gov. Matt Blunt, who has pledged to sign it into law.

The name change would take effect Aug. 28.

Tuesday's vote brings an end to a 19-year-old legislative quest by supporters of the Springfield school to change its name to Missouri State University. The proposal's backers have argued the new name better describes the school's statewide mission. They also contend the name change would attract more students, staff, donors and businesses - boosting the economy of the Springfield area and the state.

Opposition to the name change has typically come from supporters of the University of Missouri, particularly the state's flagship campus in Columbia. They said the name change eventually could mean more funding for the Springfield school at the expense of the University of Missouri and other regional universities. They also claimed the name "Missouri State University" rightly belonged to the Columbia campus.

In years past, University of Missouri supporters have successfully squashed the legislation. But the name change debate took a turn in the Springfield school's favor this year when University of Missouri System President Elson Floyd gave his blessing to a compromise bill.

The legislation allows Southwest Missouri State University to change its name to Missouri State University provided the school does not seek the land grant and research designations held by the Columbia campus. It also prohibits the Springfield school from duplicating professional programs offered by the University of Missouri, such as training for doctors and lawyers. And the bill says the new name does not entitle the Springfield school to more money.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/11023687.htm

ENDelt260
03-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Legislature OKs name change for Southwest Missouri State
By Kavita Kumar
Of the Post-Dispatch
03/01/2005

The bill that would rename Southwest Missouri State University to Missouri State University is now headed Gov. Matt Blunt for his final approval.

The House of Representatives passed the contentious bill Tuesday afternoon by a vote of 120 to 35. The Senate passed the bill a couple of weeks ago.

The Springfield-based school has been trying for decades to change its name. But it has been filibustered and defeated a number of times in the past in the Missouri Legislature.

Critics of the change, including many alumni of the University of Missouri-Columbia, worry that the change might mean less funding and prominence for the state’s flagship university. An amendment to the bill added in the Senate addresses that concern, but has not allayed all concerns on the matter.

The bill also includes several other proposed name changes:

-- Central Missouri State University would become University of Central Missouri.

-- Missouri Western State College would become Missouri Western State University.

-- Harris-Stowe State College would become Harris-Stowe State University.

-- Missouri Southern State University-Joplin would become Missouri Southern State University.

The name changes would take effect Aug. 28.

Tuesday's vote brings an end to a 19-year-old legislative quest by supporters of the Springfield school to change its name to Missouri State University. The proposal's backers have argued the new name better describes the school's statewide mission. They also contend the name change would attract more students, staff, donors and businesses -- boosting the economy of the Springfield area and the state.

The legislation allows Southwest Missouri State University to change its name to Missouri State University provided the school does not seek the land grant and research designations held by the Columbia campus. It also prohibits the Springfield school from duplicating professional programs offered by the University of Missouri, such as training for doctors and lawyers. And the bill says the new name does not entitle the Springfield school to more money.

The Associated Press contributed information for this story.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/E50A137D4526329A86256FB70075F66D?OpenDocument

Ralphy Boy
03-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Gee, it took long enough, only 20 years. Good to know that the idiots in Columbia felt so intimidated by Teachers State College.

Sad part is a few years from now when John Q Hammons kills over and leaves a few hundred million to the university, they'll change it to:
THE John Q Hammons University.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Gov. Blunt gets name change bill by: mariwinn

Updated: 2005-03-01 17:13:14-06

Gov. Matt Blunt, a Springfield native and a long supporter of a name change for Southwest Missouri State University (SMSU), now has a bill on his desk awaiting his signature that makes the name change to Missouri State University official. After initial debate in the House and an unsuccessful filibuster in the Senate, the bill was returned to the House. After 5 hours of debate and the defeat of several last minute amendments, SB 98 passed.

Provisions were written into the law stipulating that SMSU/MSU would not receive added funding based solely on the name change, nor would it offer certain doctoral degree programs identified by UM, which is also labeled as the state's primary research university in the legislation, according to a statement issued by Senator Gary Nodler, who supported the name change.

Although Senator Nodler admitted that "inserting 'university' for 'college' and dropping city/region/state designations better reflects a school's advancement in the educational arena," he gave no reason for why an amendment in the bill only allows Central Missouri State University to drop the designation "state" and become the University of Central Missouri, if a majority of board members vote to do so within the next two years. Provisions in the bill that raised virtually no opposition, according to Nodler, would change the name of Missouri Southern State University-Joplin to Missouri Southern State University, Missouri Western State College to Missouri Western State University, and Harris-Stowe State College to Harris-Stowe State University.

Should the bill be signed into law, its changes would be effective August 28, 2005.

http://www.joplinindependent.com/display_article.php/mariwinn1109718794

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Gov. Blunt to give final OK on SMS name change

University gains new name, mission as Missouri State, fulfilling legislative quest of 19 years.

By James Goodwin
News-Leader staff

Jefferson City-- Missouri State University is one signature away from becoming reality.

The Missouri House of Representatives voted 120-35 Tuesday to grant the new name to Southwest Missouri State University.

It marked the only time since 1986 — when a name-change bill was first introduced — that both legislative chambers adopted the proposal.

Gov. Matt Blunt has vowed to sign the measure, which would take effect Aug. 28.

"I'm in shock," said Rep. B.J. Marsh, the House handler of Senate Bill 98. "I was thinking (the vote would be) in the mid-90s, but I was hoping I wasn't overselling it."

There was a moment, though, when the Springfield Republican's heart skipped a beat or two.

The "yeas" quickly piled up before the tally Tuesday afternoon — until they hit 73, nine votes short of the number needed for passage.

The next few seconds didn't look good.

"I was panicking," Marsh said. "I thought, 'No, not another year like last year.'"

In 2004, the lawmaker signed up 101 backers. But the House voted 73-83 against the proposal. Supporters came through Tuesday, though, in greater numbers than expected. Marsh assumed they were either out of the chamber when voting began or were waiting to see where it was headed.

In the end, 77 Republicans and 43 Democrats voted for the bill. Only 16 Republicans and 19 Democrats voted against it.

"I really feel like we put that icing on the cake," said Sen. Norma Champion, R-Springfield, who carried the measure in her chamber.

Knocking down amendments

Debate in the House began Monday, and name-change supporters eventually rejected six amendments, any one of which would have sent the measure back to the Senate.

That chamber gave final approval Feb. 16 — the first time ever — by a vote of 25-7. The endorsement came only after a pre-dawn compromise ended a 14-hour filibuster against the proposal.

Rep. Judy Baker, D-Columbia, said during floor debate Tuesday that the agreement makes SMS a non-contender for the more prestigious name.

The compromise, OK'd by the presidents of SMS and the University of Missouri System, prohibits a newly named MSU from duplicating professional programs offered at the University of Missouri-Columbia, including those to train medical doctors, lawyers and architects. "It's like moving a welterweight up to a heavyweight class and tying one glove behind their back," Baker said.

Another name-change opponent, Rep. Bryan Pratt, R-Blue Springs, said it differently.

"If I change my name to Ben Affleck, does that make me good-looking?" Pratt said. "Sadly, gentlemen, I have to say no."

He and other opponents have voiced concern that the name change would draw limited funds from the University of Missouri-Columbia, the state's flagship institution.

Supporters of the name change argued that SMS — the second-largest university in the state — was ripe for relabeling.

"SMS continues to be the second-largest university in the third largest city in the fastest-growing region in the state," Rep. Mike Cunningham, R-Marshfield, said on the floor. "The name change ... recognizes that fact."

Changing other names

The measure endorsed Tuesday also drops "-Joplin" from the name of Missouri Southern State University-Joplin and allows Missouri Western State College in St. Joseph and Harris-Stowe State College in St. Louis to relabel themselves as universities.

The bill also gives the governing board of Central Missouri State University two years to change the name of the Warrensburg institution to The University of Central Missouri.

In 2002, the SMS name-change proposal passed the House for the first time, by a vote of 100-53. But a Senate filibuster killed the measure that year.

Two weeks ago, the chamber's filibuster ended after Elson Floyd, president of the four-campus University of Missouri System, and John Keiser, president of SMS, agreed to limits on SMS' growth.

The compromise, added to SB98, states that MSU can offer engineering programs and doctoral programs only in cooperation with the University of Missouri. Doctorates in audiology and physical therapy are exempt from the agreement.

The governing boards of both institutions would have to approve cooperative programs, and the University of Missouri would grant the degrees.

The University of Missouri would have a year to decide not to offer joint programs. In that case, MSU could find another institution to cooperate with or offer the degree itself.

Also, MSU isn't entitled to more state funding only because of the name change. And SB98 requires MSU's Board of Governors to add two voting members, making it a 10-member board with representatives from each of Missouri's nine congressional districts. A non-voting student member will remain on the board.

Private donations will cover the estimated $200,000 cost of changing signs, letterhead and other incidentals, SMS officials have said.

Marsh said it took a team of southwest Missouri lawmakers to get the name change through this year. And he credits Rep. Sara Lampe of Springfield, the area's only Democratic lawmaker, with picking up some needed support.

Name-change backers had 90 minutes left Tuesday to make their case. But they decided to forgo the remaining time and call for the vote while they had the support.

"The momentum was clearly there this afternoon," said Rep. Bob Dixon, R-Springfield.

Blunt, who spoke at a news conference at SMS after the House vote, said the measure passed because he and his staff were able to "apply the right pressure."

"MSU reflects what the university does," said Blunt, who has 15 days to sign the bill. "It's good for Missouri and higher education in the state."

Long time coming

History of the Southwest Missouri State University name-change effort:

1979: Students circulated petitions advocating the change to Missouri State University.

1986: Senate Bill 662 introduced on first day of session to change name to Missouri State University. Bill died in the Senate Education Committee.

1988: Separate bills were introduced in the House and Senate. The House defeated the bill on a floor vote. The Senate bill was never voted out of committee.

2002: House bill passed 100-53. Approved by Senate Education Committee, but filibuster by Columbia Sen. Ken Jacobs kills chances in Senate.

2003: Bills introduced but not seriously discussed after Jacobs threatens another filibuster.

2004: Senate bill fails to receive third and final reading. House bill defeated 81-70.

2005: Senate bill passes 25-7. It's the first time the proposal has won Senate approval. House bill passes 120-35.

http://www.news-leader.com/today/20050302-GovBlunttogivef.html

http://www.news-leader.com/today/20050302-GovBlunttogivef_1.jpg
Kelli Wolf (left) of the SGA celebrates the university name- change with her friend, Sarah Trammell, on Tuesday afternoon at Plaster Student Union.

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Wanted to make sure this didn't get overlooked...

Blunt, who spoke at a news conference at SMS after the House vote, said the measure passed because he and his staff were able to "apply the right pressure."

ENDelt260
03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
House OKs MSU
Tensions keep simmering as bill goes to Blunt

By CHRIS BLANK

March 2, 2005

JEFFERSON CITY — The signature of an eager governor is all that remains before Southwest Missouri State University realizes its goal of becoming Missouri State University.

Over the objections of an impassioned, bipartisan group of lawmakers, the House voted 120-35 to pass the Senate bill that bestows the name on the Springfield school. The House sponsor, Rep. B. J. Marsh, R-Springfield, was surprised at the overwhelming victory, saying he expected only about 90 votes in favor.

The Senate sponsor, Sen. Norma Champion, R-Springfield, said she expects Gov. Matt Blunt to sign the legislation as part of SMSU’s 100th anniversary celebration on March 17.

Blunt, who hails from southwestern Missouri, made the name change one of his top legislative priorities and held a news conference in Springfield after the vote to laud the legislature’s actions. In a written statement, Blunt said that the name Missouri State University better describes the Springfield school’s role but that the legislation ensures “that the University of Missouri will continue to be the state’s premier land-grant institution as well as the state’s premier research institution.”

Marsh, whose voice cracked as he spoke after the vote about the effort it took to push the bill through, said it feels good finally to be on the winning end.

“We deserved it, and we got it,” he said.

House Minority Leader Jeff Harris, D-Columbia, and Reps. Bryan Pratt, R-Blue Springs, and Brian Yates, R-Lee’s Summit, led much of the opposition during Tuesday’s floor debate. All three are MU graduates.

While supporters predicted the change would spark economic growth, Harris criticized the governor for “pushing a personal project on the taxpayers of Missouri.”

“This name change won’t help one more student receive a college degree,” Harris said. “We would be better served if his focus were on looking where we are as a state and looking how we can make higher education more affordable.”

Rep. Jack Goodman, R-Mount Vernon, said SMSU has grown extensively. He said that although it was unworthy of the statewide designation while he was in college, its quality and enrollment now warrant the Missouri State designation.

In addition to better classifying the school, Goodman said the new name would boost the amount of money available for higher education by attracting more out-of-state students, who pay higher tuition rates.

“New students bring new revenue,” he said. “The result is an excellent combination of quality and affordability.”

Provisions added to the bill as a compromise prevent SMSU from seeking additional funding based on its new name and from duplicating graduate and doctoral programs offered by the University of Missouri System.

Despite those compromises, Rep. Steve Hobbs, R-Mexico, said the UM system gave up a lot.

“There was a great sacrifice by the University of Missouri,” Hobbs said, “and I hope the legislature is going to reciprocate by being more favorable when its needs come up.”

During floor debate in the Senate, the bill overcame an all-night filibuster by Sen. Chuck Graham, D-Columbia when UM system President Elson Floyd told Graham to stand down and allow the bill to pass.

Several opponents of the name change criticized Floyd for backing out of the fray.

“I am so disappointed with the UM system,” Pratt said. “President Floyd and the curators, I think, dropped the ball in not fighting for their name.”

Pratt said he has no doubt that if another school 100 years from now were to want the name Southwest Missouri State University, the president of the new Missouri State University would fight the proposal.

Several Democrats accused Blunt of exercising undue influence over the debate, while many Republicans said UM system supporters engaged in strong-arm tactics of their own. Both sides deny the accusations.

“I can say this: the alumni from the University of Missouri do not give up on anything,” Champion said. “I can understand that, but I think things got blown way out of proportion.”

Much of the opposition centered on beliefs that the name change would siphon money from the UM system, confuse the mission of SMSU and undermine the regional university system by making SMSU a lone, second-tier school behind MU.

“If SMSU is not going to take on the mission and programs of a statewide university, they shouldn’t get the name,” said Rep. Judy Baker, D-Columbia.

http://columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=12435

MOhillbilly
03-02-2005, 09:52 AM
bout time.

ENDelt260
03-04-2005, 09:43 AM
News-Leader.com | True Ozarks

Published Friday, March 4, 2005 Name change unconstitutional?

One representative says filing of constitutional objections merely formalizes floor debate.

By James Goodwin
News-Leader staff

Jefferson City — Two House members from Columbia have submitted constitutional objections to the name change for Southwest Missouri State University.

The action won't keep Gov. Matt Blunt from signing the legislation. But some wonder whether it suggests a possible court challenge when the switch to Missouri State University takes effect Aug. 28.

Democrats Jeff Harris, the House minority floor leader, and Judy Baker submitted the objections after their chamber voted 120-35 this week to grant SMS its long-sought name change.

Their submission, which is rare, has no practical effect except to add the objections to the name-change bill before Blunt signs it.

"It was just simply to formalize what we had said (during debate) on the floor," Harris said Thursday. "But from my perspective, I think we should move forward."

He and Baker presented their objections Wednesday; they were noted Thursday in the House's daily journal.

The lawmakers argued that Senate Bill 98, the name-change measure:

• Violates the state constitutional ban on single bills containing more than one subject. SB98 includes name changes for three other institutions of higher education and allows the governing body of a fourth to adopt its own name change.

• Conflicts with Article IX of the constitution, which references "the state university." Harris and Baker said the use of the word "the" shows that the General Assembly meant previously to designate one institution as "the state university," namely the University of Missouri-Columbia. Therefore, a law naming an additional institution as a "state university" conflicts with the constitution, they said.

SMS spokesman Paul Kincaid said his research shows that Iowa — home of the University of Iowa and Iowa State University — has language in its constitution that refers to "the state university."

"'The state university of' is not a name," he said. "It's a description. And at the time the constitution was written, there was only one university, and so it was describing the one that existed."

On the single-subject issue, Kincaid said the 1995 legislation that changed the name of Northeast Missouri State University in Kirksville to Truman State University also addressed missions for state universities and colleges.

Using the single-issue argument to question the constitutionality of this year's name-change bill would suggest different treatment, he said.

The objections make no difference to Blunt — who has until March 17, SMS' 100th anniversary — to sign the bill.

"These questions are irrelevant and baseless," Blunt spokesman Paul Sloca said. "The governor will sign the legislation."

Rep. B.J. Marsh, the House handler of SB98, called Harris a respected friend but said he and others would do best to get past the issue.

"I just cannot believe how they're acting. I think they're showing their true colors," said Marsh, a Springfield Republican. "That is their school color, isn't it? ... Yellow?"

He said he wouldn't be surprised if someone filed a lawsuit seeking to invalidate the name-change law.

Raising constitutional objections as Harris and Baker have isn't a requirement for a court challenge.

However, it reveals potential arguments should there be a lawsuit.

"We've heard rumors but haven't worried too much about it," Kincaid said.

"Filing a lawsuit is a pretty simple matter; you can do it on most anything. That doesn't mean that it has merit, and it doesn't mean that it'll go anywhere. But that's always a possibility."

Harris, a lawyer, said a lawsuit isn't his intent. And he said he has not been part of any conversation about such a suit.

Asked whether this was the end of his fight against the name change, Harris said, "As far as I'm concerned, yes."

He said all parties should shift their focus to "where we're going with our higher educational system.

"And I look forward to continuing to be a supporter of all higher education," Harris said. "And that would include the newly named Missouri State University in Springfield."

Copyright © 2005, The Springfield News-Leader, a Gannett Company.

http://springfield.news-leader.com/news/today/20050304-Namechangeuncon.html

Mark M
03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
"I just cannot believe how they're acting. I think they're showing their true colors," said Marsh, a Springfield Republican. "That is their school color, isn't it? ... Yellow?"

Damn ... that's cold.

MM
~~ROFL

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-04-2005, 10:13 AM
University of Central Missouri.

That's going to take a little while to get used to. Guess I'll hold off buying the new jacket/t-shirts until I see whether or not they're going to go for the new name or not.

Ralphy Boy
03-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Damn ... that's cold.

MM
~~ROFL

Damn funny though.

It's good to know that the tiggers and their alumni have lost so much the last few years and been such a national embarrassment that they are reduced to picking on a university they once considered totally inferior.